This is What I Do.

Unpublished Story

 

“Do you believe in love at first sight Tiff?” I asked her. “Probably. I think so, why?” she asked back and I sat on the sofa with me. “It’s like I found the one Tiff.” I whispered.

“Seriously?! You have said that a thousand times Jess. Neither of the guys really did stick with you. And you very know well why. It’s either they walk away from you, forget you and or die.” She said in a higher tone than her usual voice.

“Who is it this time Jess?” She added and stared at me like I was committing a crime. “I-it is a patient of mine.” I softly said lowering my head.

“Oh my god Jessica!” she exploded.

Here she goes again with her rants. I know what the consequences are if I fall in love with our own patients, but I just know ‘he’ was the right one.

“Jess, you know if you cross the li-“ I tried not to listen to her rants and to her endless speech of how important being a surgeon is.

I grew tired of listening to it, since every time I get to a relationship with anyone, she would start and lecture like I was a student.

But I thank her, even she scolds me for some reasons we all know. She has been there for me when ever hardships came. Like when my mom died, she was there of course. It was her aunt’s funeral.

It may be her aunt or not; I may be her cousin or not, she always stuck by my side. She never did let me down.

Hwang Tiffany, that’s her name. She will always be my best friend, my favorite cousin of all.

“Jess.” I heard her call but it was faint.

“Jessica Jung are you listening to me? Are you having a seizure?” She was waving her hand in front of my face and I decided to follow her hand movements with my eyes.

“Yes I am listening to you and no I am not having a seizure.” I held onto her hand to stop her waving at me. “Look, I know you are worried Tiff, but I can handle myself. I’m old enough.”

She sighed, “Ok, whatever you say dear cousin. But always remember, I am here.” She was patting my head like I was puppy to her.

 

Beep, Beep, Beep.

 

She looked at her pager. “A patient is ready to be operated. I’ll talk to you later then and I wanna know who this patient is.”

I watched her running and she turn to the left to proceed to the Operating rooms. I sighed to myself, and thought, ‘What if he lives but never come back? Or What if he dies?” I don’t know what to do.

 

 

Beep, Beep, Beep.

 

Grabbing my pager, I read what it says, ‘Code Blue – Room 206’. Rushing through the halls and running down the stairs until I reached the room.

Yes, this happens almost every day, so as people getting injured and mothers giving birth.

I got used to everything; seeing people die. The worst I’ve seen so far was two people were impaled by a pole. And unbelievably they are still alive from the impact they have. I almost puked but I had to stay strong to get them out, I could see how scared they were.

Unfortunately, one of them died as we were trying to save them. I could not help it though, since the pole passes through her spine and that cause it to break of course. There, that cause her paralysis on her lower body but still it was amazing she could still talk.

Well, back to my patient who is on the verge of dying. "What the hell happened?" Cliche I know but that's what we always ask.

"His heart just dropped." The nurse said as I grab my stethoscope and check his heart pulse. It was slowing down. "Did you give him EP?" I asks as I was resuscitating him. "Yes doctor. We gave him 2 shots already. And we also shock him twice." the nurse attending said, "Give me the plates." I got the plates, and places them to his chest and to his side. "Charge at to 360" I added, looking at the nurse, nodding at the same time, I shocked the patient.

Looking at the monitor for any beat changes, I braced myself - my intern, couldn't help but perform the CPR. I looked at her, puzzled, then I snapped out of the trance.

"Hey, he is DNR. Do Not Resuscitate!" I yelled at my intern, "No! He needs to live, he needs to find his true love." Luna said still performing the CPR.

"LUNA! Stop! Let him go, let him go!" I hold on to her and pulled her away from the patient, and I did successfully. "He's gone. Time of death" I looked at my watch, "20:45" I left the room and proceeded to the surgery board.

"A lot to do today huh?" a voice said. I looked at my right and saw Sunny in her scrubs, she just had finished her surgery. "Oh yeah, a lot." I looked at the board again, "A heart surgery? Really?" I asked the bunny beside me. "Yeah, later in the morning. And that's good you don't have any surgeries for you today." she giggled.

"Ha, yeah, but I'm covering the pit and sutures." I said with a sigh, "well, you better go tell the parents of the kid you just operated that he is fine. You know, swallowing heads of dolls are not cool." I said and walked away.

Covering the pit was the best thing to do for now, at least.

 

•••

 

I was sitting on a table drinking coffee for me to stay for another 4 hours of endless shifts. I looked at the time, 12 am. Tiffany's shift is starting now I guess. Where could she be, has she arrived and checked in? I gotta see her now. 

Strolling around the hallway searching for my dear cousin.

 

Beep, Beep, Beep.

 

Emergency again? I ran through the halls and rush to the trauma room.

"What is it now?" I said as I opened the door and saw my sister sitting down her face covered by her hands. "Sis, help. I don't know what to do. I feel like giving up. I can't do this anymore. This is so hard." she said, her voiced cracked. She was crying.

"What? Why?" I advanced towards her and hugged her and comforted her. "I just cant do this anymore. It's so hard, my resident is just so hard on me. Sis, no more. I'm out of this program." she burst into tears on my just, gripping my coat tightly. "Shhhh~ Soojungie, you can do this okay. You are strong and smart and talented. If you quit this, all of your hard work will go to waste. Soo baby, please. Don't quit the program." her hair gently to make her calm down more.

"Sis, can I just be your intern? Can I transfer?" She looked up at me with her cute brown puppy eyes that I always fall for. Chuckling, I nodded, "Alright, just go ask permission from the chief and I'll handle the rest okay?" Kissing her temple and hugging her tightly. "Okay. Thank you so much, Sis!" She said in a sweet voice, sniffing and wiping her tears away.

My sister, Jung Krystal, a very amazing person. Sweet, smart, caring, and not to mention, beautiful. She is very talented, I could see where she got her love for being a doctor. I was her role model before when she was growing up. She pursued to have the same dream I wanted to have. She did, being a doctor to help people.

Anyhow, she went out of the trauma room and disappeared from my sight.

And again, i have no surgeries, and I have no plans on scrubing in. Working on some discharge papers, I suddenly heard Tiffany shouting. "Anybody there help this man! I need help here!" I looked up and saw her with an old man having a hard time to breath. Even though we are doctors, we also need help from someone near by. "Tiff! I'm here, what happened?" I immediately dashed to where they were. "I was about to head to my next patient but he just suddenly collapsed in front of me." She nodded to signal me it was okay for us to pick him up. A bed went rushing to us in time, we laid the old man and went to the E.R to make further examinations. "Can you handle this Jessie? I really have to go and check my patient." Tiffany said as she started to prepare to leave.

"Yeah, I'm fine with this." I said and started to perform a CPR and is going to shock the patient. "Oy, hey! You haven't the patient to me yet. What's his name?" Tiffany peeking behind the door waiting for my answer.

I sighed, holding the plates ready to charge, "Charge at 200." I told the nurse and shocked the patient. "Push a dose of EP now." I instructed them again. "Hello, Jung Jessica, are you listening to me?" Tiffany said still waiting for my answer.

"Charge at 300." I stated and shocked the patient once again. Looking at the monitor again to see some changes, and this time I think we were in luck.

Sighing in relief, i took out my gloves and turned to Tiffany. "His name? Donghae. Room 226. A cancer patient." I coldly said. "Happy now? You know our priority is saving a life before our personal life." I added and went out to continue with my discharge papers.

 

Thinking to myself, is he really the one for me? Is Donghae the one?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*** EP - Endogenous Pyrogen

DNR - Do Not Resuscitate

CPR - Cardiopulmonary resuscitation

A/N: Chapter one out. Sorry if it was a bit short... Its still an introduction of what Sica does. Anyway, hope you like it. >< i personally say it wasnt good.. What you think guys? ><