5. Despair of a lost soul

Dreaming

 


 

5. Despair of a lost soul

 

Screams and blood, what a nice view.

Many thought that, but nobody admitted it. Chanyeol knew that the things he had to see every week were wrong and cruel. He hated hearing those yells, he hated seeing the cart approaching, he hated seeing Tao's smug grin that contrasted with his sad eyes. The tall guard knew that it wasn't easy to leave people there dying, especially because he couldn't save everyone. Chanyeol frowned as he looked at the cart disappearing far away from Eden. That day, only one man was lucky to go away towards the dark side, and the guard had the horrible feeling of knowing who he was. Later, after everything finished, Chanyeol literally bumped into Taemin. "It's you!" He yelled, surprised. The other flinched at his tone, and mumbled something that sounded like 'too loud'.

"What is it?" He asked, looking annoyed. Chanyeol immediately noticed his puffy eyes, and even if he was a bit angry with him for leaving Jongin, he couldn't help but feeling worried. "U-uh, what happened?" He stuttered, glancing behind Taemin. Minho was walking towards them and he didn't look happy at all. "That was Kibum. They threw him out and took him away. He should be happy now that he had destroyed Jinki's heart!" He snarled. Minho arrived just after his lover had finished talking, a deep frown on his face. "Let's bring Jinki at home, he's devastated." He murmured, with his eyes full of worry for his dear friend. Taemin nodded and turned away from Chanyeol, after a quick good bye. The tall guard stayed there, staring at the couple's backs. Taemin had always been a great friend and he loved spending his time especially with Kibum, so it was only natural for him to be that upset, and maybe he had to see him slipping away from everyone else, away from Eden.

Jinki, on the other hand, was a wonderful lover. He had covered Kibum with his everything, only to see him disappear behind a wall. His only consolation was to know he was alright, but unfortunately in someone else's arms. Chanyeol caught a glimpse of Jinki and his red eyes, but he didn't move. He was far from him, but he could hear his cries as if he was next to him. His heart clenched and he shut his eyes. Eden was getting crueler, and people from the dark side weren't helping anyone. How many broken heart would they leave behind? Was Kyungsoo going to be one of them? What about the others? Was it really okay to run away instead of helping? Was it okay to torn families like that?

Kyungsoo and Jinki cared a lot about their lovers, but the former seemed clueless about Jongin's denial and the fact that his fiancée was actually a criminal. Well, it wasn't exactly the younger man's fault: after all, he couldn't control dreams. Actually, it was getting something even more serious. What did they want to do? Create a new system, new cities, new everything? How many people actually left Eden in order to go to the dark side of the world? Chanyeol started to understand why Jongin was that confused. After all, Baekhyun and Tao could be murders. What if they wanted to eat them?! The tall guard chuckled at the thought. It was impossible, why so much effort just to eat? They had those wonderful mountains near them; he could already imagine the different animals that inhabited the place.

Thinking again about that, it was just a stupid thought in general. Baekhyun wouldn't betray him: he was too nice, too beautiful… A human like that was simply innocent and pure. Maybe he could think otherwise of Tao or that Kris person, who said they had met before. Chanyeol frowned, remembering that when he was a child, he had a friend that seemed angry all the time; the kid had blond hair, but despite his look, he was gentle and he always thought of the others before thinking of his own problems. Was that Kris? However, why did they bring a little boy to the dark side of the world? He must had felt alone all the time, since he probably didn't have his parents there with him.

Chanyeol's frown got deeper; it seemed that they were trying to help, and it was probably difficult to take away a kid. After all, children were gullible. What if they wanted to create an army? It was easy to make people think Eden was a horrible place, so what if their real plan was to destroy the place? Chanyeol was sighing heavily when a coworker walked next to him. "Wow, are you actually tired?" He asked with a surprised smile. Chen liked to joke around, but he was always talking about the magnificent of their city and the poorness of the other people who didn't live there with them. The tall guard chuckled slightly and shrugged. "I have a lot in my mind." He explained without bother to add details. Chen pouted a bit. "I know you're thinking about that girl you're going to marry! How lucky…"

Chanyeol wanted to laugh, but he smiled instead. No, he didn't even remember the girl's face; Baekhyun was already occupying every thought in his head.

 

Later, in the afternoon, Chanyeol saw Kyungsoo and Jongin walking together in one of the silent parks of the city. He didn't disturb them; after some minutes, they stopped and sat on a bench, with Jongin who wrapped his arm around his lover's shoulder. They kissed lightly, and the younger man looked contented; Chanyeol wasn't. Jongin couldn't be confident of his actions, and every kiss he gave to Kyungsoo was just another problem, another crack on his already broken heart. "He's going to get hurt." He mumbled to himself. And he didn't need an answer to know he was right.

Next day, as he was walking home, he met Sehun. He looked extremely happy, and when he stopped in front of him, he could see his eyes shining. "I decided!" He chirped. Chanyeol widened his eyes, not expecting such reaction. "I talked to Jongin." Sehun continued without noticing the taller man's surprise. "He said he will stay here, he feels bad for leaving Kyungsoo. But I'm going!" Chanyeol frowned: Jongin wanted to stay!? But why? Those dreams weren't going to stop just like that! He was going to be in a worse situation, and he was going to be alone! "I'll talk to him!" He exclaimed with a resolute look. "I can't believe he's going to give up his dreams. What about that poor Tao? He can't just leave him for Kyungsoo! I know he's in love with that guy."

Sehun simply shrugged. "Well, I won't wait, and I think you did enough for him." He mumbled; he sighed and patted Chanyeol's shoulder. "Just tell him you're going away. He will understand… Just leave; he has already decided what to do." The tall guard looked on the ground, feeling helpless. Baekhyun was waiting for him… He couldn't make him wait much more. He decided: he was leaving Eden the next time he would meet Baekhyun, two days later. "Okay, I'll leave in two days. I'm going during my night shift; I'll ask Jongin to come just for a last goodbye." Sehun smiled weakly, with a sad glint in his eyes. He had never thought that going away was making him feel that heavy-hearted. Jongin was going to be alone, and maybe he was going to get back in touch with Taemin. Chanyeol sighed and ruffled his hair. Well, it wasn't like he had many choices.

 

"You're leaving?" Jongin widened his eyes, not believing those words. "But… You, are you really sure?" Chanyeol nodded, with his heart feeling heavier with every second that passed. "Yes, I'm going tonight… Please, at least come to watch me leave!" He pleaded. He really didn't like the idea of going away without Jongin looking at his back, because he hoped the younger man would change his mind. Jongin nodded, looking a bit sad. "I thought you were going to stay longer than that… I'll miss you." Chanyeol had to bit his lower lip to stop tears; he wrapped his friend in a tight hug and let go of him only when he calmed down. "I'll wait you tonight on my work place, at midnight." He left with his mind full of unsaid words, but when he stumbled on Kyungsoo, he burst in tears.

"I'm sorry!" He sobbed hard, running away and leaving behind him a worried and confused Kyungsoo. When he returned home, with red and puffy eyes, he started packing. He put his favorite things inside a bag, colorless objects that he had learnt to love: books, a small stuffed animal, a blanked with grey stripes on it, a dagger. He fell on his bed, with his cheeks still wet, and closed his eyes. He spent a long time thinking of what he was going to leave and what he was going to have. Love was the most relevant thing he could think of; Baekhyun was going to fill his days with kisses and sweet words, he was sure of that.

 

"There you are!" Chanyeol looked up. He was standing on the wall, near the staircase that would allow him to reach his light, Baekhyun. Jongin arrived in front of him, together with Sehun. "Are you ready to go?" His friend asked with a grim gaze. The tall guard nodded and hugged him. "I'll miss you." He mumbled, as he let fall a tear. To his surprise, Jongin started crying and he clung to his body. He didn't say a thing, he just kept whimpering and sobbing, and Sehun, at that sight, shed a tear, too. "Take care of yourself." He whispered. Chanyeol nodded weakly and let go of Jongin, who tried to wipe away his own tears.

"Get him! Get him!" Everyone turned around to see some guards shooting arrows and cheering. Chanyeol gasped as he looked below them. Screams of pain and fear filled his head, and he found himself screaming, too. His legs moved on their own accord, and soon he was running on the grey desert, panting for air; he prayed for something, prayed for a poor human's life. On the dusty ground, a broken lantern and bloodstains.

 


A/N:
I'm sorry. T^T
Please, do tell me what do you think of this chapter. ^^;
Leave a message on my tumblr, too! ^O^

Thanks to everyone who is following and reading this fic, I really appreciate your support! TwT