Was It Worth?

I Stole Her Lips

http://youtu.be/QJeV2lwsTlA

----------

Leading Jun.Q towards your waiting room, you kept your eyes fixed on the road ahead. He was awfully quiet throughout the whole trip, but he was silently sneaking glances at your face, trying to decipher your current emotions. *What does she see me as now?* Jun.Q contemplated as he studied the current situation.

Once you twisted the knob of your waiting room, you stepped in and pulled Jun.Q along by his arm. All the while, you were careful not to touch his hand, afraid that he might misunderstand the reason you brought him here. You led him to the middle of the room, pushed him down onto the sofa and spun around to shut the open door.

You reluctantly faced Jun.Q and looked him straight in the eyes. Your expression didn’t tell him much, but even you didn’t know what you were feeling at that very moment. With a gulp to ease the constriction in the back of your throat, you started to reach for a forgotten handkerchief at the vanity and soaked it with water. After that, you went to the ice bucket that held an empty bottle of champagne from one of your girl friends and bundled a few ice cubes into the soaked fabric in your hands. You took a few tissues and drenched them with water, too.

Despite not seeing any movement from the injured male on the sofa, you were positive that his eyes were following your every move. Taking a deep breath, you strode towards him before taking a seat beside him. Gingerly, you placed a palm on his cheek and turned him to face you. Under his intense eyes, you were caught by surprise and started to blink frantically.

“Stop looking at me like that.” You mumbled as you shifted your gaze downwards, pressing the icy handkerchief to his swollen cheek. Gesturing with a small nod, you whispered, “Hold it there so that it wouldn’t swell too much.” Without a verbal response, Jun.Q reached up and did as told, gently grazing his long, slender fingers against yours in the process. Just like a jolt of electricity, you quickly pulled your hand away and uncomfortably cleared your throat.

Spotting the wet tissues still on your lap, you bit your lip. *Great, more awkward eye contact..* You were not aware that you were actually feeling shy around your best friend in a different manner; you thought you were just afraid to meet his eyes, worried that he might pull off another stunt like he did at the altar. In spite of that, you pushed all your worries away and looked up, thinking you just had to clean his wounds and get this over with.

You slightly parted your lips and jutted your bottom lip, “Do this.” Jun.Q still kept silent and mimicked your actions upon your request. Seeing his bloody lip, you grimaced before using feathery light touches to dab the tissue against his wounds. “Sorry, I don’t know where to find a first aid kit, so this should suffice for now.” You timidly said. “It’s alright.” Jun.Q replied.

Those were his very first words ever since he kissed you. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but his answer made you feel relieved somehow, eliminating the intense awkwardness in the air. You felt the need to say something, but all you could manage was an ‘Oh’.

In silence once again, you treated the gashes on his lips. It was a great comfort when Jun.Q decided to just kick back and close his eyes. You started to apply a bit more pressure on his lips because the blood stains were beginning to coagulate, “Tell me if it hurts.” He heaved a small sigh before nodding.

 

When you were done with his lips, you stood up to dispose of the crimson stained tissues. While you stood by the sink, you the faucet to wash your hands. “Minyeon-ah..” Jun.Q called out. You turned your head to watch the back of his head, slumped on the soft sofa, stationary and still. “Yes?” You questioned as you focused on the cascading liquid, taking your time to clean your fingers.

“Why didn’t you back away when I kissed you?” Jun.Q straight-forwardly asked. Heat started to travel to the apples of your cheeks, ashamed to give a response. Nothing was heard, except for the sound of running water. “Why, Minyeon?” Jun.Q pushed on. “Because..” You trailed off, carefully trying to phrase your answer.

Lost in your train of thoughts; you jumped when a hand appeared before your eyes, twisting the faucet shut. “Do you feel the same way like I do, Minyeon?” You felt Jun.Q’s breath close to your neck. You wanted to just turn around and tell him no, because he was your best friend, but your conscience told you otherwise. Emitting a ragged breath, you stared blankly into space, unable to give a verbal response.

Something started to snake around your arms, before you knew it; you were trapped between Jun.Q’s strong arms, leaving you nowhere to run to even if you wanted to. You stayed in place, unsure of how you should react to what he was doing to you. Shortly, Jun.Q nuzzled his face into the space between your neck and shoulder, yet you remained stunned.

“Minyeon, tell me that you love me, please. I just need to hear it. I know you feel the same way, too. Just tell me you love me.” Jun.Q pleadingly requested. At that point, you were clear; realization hit you like a thunderstorm. No matter how much you denied in your mind, your heart was telling you that you had feelings for Jun.Q as well, all along. But then again, you kept thinking that it was not fair for Minhyuk; what was Minhyuk to you then?

 

In Jun.Q’s arms you felt safe and warm, till he held you by your shoulders and spun you around. He bent down slightly to meet your eyes, “Run away with me, Minyeon.” A small gasp escaped your lips. It sounded romantic and all, like in the movies; but this was happening for real, Jun.Q wanted you to run away from your own wedding. His gaze was soft yet serious at the same time. Nervously, you looked away, “I- I don’t know, Jun Kyu..”

Jun.Q placed a curled finger under your chin and lifted it, catching your eyes once more. “Just tell me you love me and run away with me, Minyeon.” He ended the sentence with a casual smirk. Your eyes widened like saucers, Jun.Q had so many surprises in store, one sentence after another, making a gradually increasing impact on you. Yet you thought, how can Jun.Q resolve this so calmly?

You started to babble incoherently due to your bashfulness, “Jun Kyu, this is insane. You’ve been watching one too many romance movies. I can’t tell that if I really love you or not, I mean I can say that I have feelings for you. But I have feelings for Minhyuk as well, that’s why we’re getting married in the first place! But Jun Kyu, I can’t just run away from everything to be with you. What will be of the wedding? What will be of me and Minhyuk? What will the friends and family members of me and Minhyuk think about me if I did? What will-”

“Minyeon.” Jun.Q cut you off by firmly holding onto your hands to grab your attention. You quizzically focused on his face as he did so. “You ask too many questions.” He simply said. Inching closer to your face, you very well knew what he was about to do. Nevertheless, you stood still, as if you were letting him have his way.

With closed eyes, Jun.Q gently placed his lips on yours. This was the second time he did it, but you didn’t push him away. Ignoring your rational thoughts, you followed your heart and shut your eyes. Confidence started to rekindle as you kissed him back. Even though it did hurt Jun.Q’s busted lip a bit, he paid it no mind, what mattered most was that you were returning his kiss. His hands smoothly slid lower to your back while you softly laced your arms around his neck.

For an instant, the two of you were drifted off to a temporary paradise. The current situation was forgotten and neglected. Fireworks were bursting behind your eyelids as colourful, imaginary butterflies started to flutter everywhere. It was wrong kissing Jun.Q now, but it just felt so right.

Shortly, you pulled back, feeling embarrassed because you didn’t intend for it to be that long. Jun.Q’s face was plastered with a warm smile, thinking that he was successful in winning you back after all. He kept you in his arms, beaming down at you in pure joy. You shyly smiled back and reached your right hand towards his swollen cheek, rubbing the pad of your thumb against it as a gesture of affection.

That was till a silver band on your right ring finger snapped you out of your reverie; it was the matching promise ring given by Minhyuk. The accumulated confidence from just now crumbled instantaneously. Memories of Minhyuk flooded your mind like snippets of a very long movie. *I shouldn’t be doing this. This is not supposed to happen. If only you made me yours earlier, Jun Kyu..*

Jun.Q noticed your changed expression and warily asked, “What’s wrong? Are you feeling unwell?” You withdrew your hand and shook your head as tears started to slip out the corner of your eyes. “Are you sure, Minyeon? Don’t scare me here.” With your eyes still locked onto JunQ’s, you murmured, “I’m really sorry, Jun Kyu.”

 

Taking advantage of Jun.Q’s shocked state, you escaped from his arms. By bunching a handful of chiffon from your dress, you rushed towards the door. Jun.Q quickly got back to his senses and caught your hand just as you were about to twist the doorknob. “Let go, Jun Kyu!” You struggled to free your wrist from his grip. “I thought you love me, Minyeon. Why are you doing this?” Jun.Q appealed with furrowed brows.

“I love you, Jun Kyu.” With that sentence, Jun.Q brightened up. Unfortunately, you weren’t finished yet, “But I love Minhyuk more.” Those words were like a cold knife stabbed right into his heart, tears filled his eyes as he stared into your brown orbs. His heart was smashed into broken glass pieces that only you could mend.

You hated yourself for hurting your best friend to the brink of shedding tears, knowing very well that would only happen if he was thoroughly hurt. Twisting your hand out of his loosened grasp, you repeated once more, “I’m really sorry, Jun Kyu.” You left the room and decided to go back to the wedding.

Wet moisture trailed down Jun.Q’s cheeks, flabbergasted and broken hearted. Feeling dejected, Jun.Q went after you one last time. He shouted your name when he saw you walking down the hallway. You just couldn’t look back, so you pulled up your dress again and started to make a run for it despite your extremely high heels. Jun.Q hollered your name repeatedly, trying to catch up. No matter how hard he ran, he just could not catch up. Jun.Q didn’t stop running, even though you disappeared out of sight. But his legs gave in and he dropped to his knees, “Minyeon!”

 

~~~

 

Jun.Q sprung up into a sitting position, breathless and clueless. He looked around to comprehend that he was in his bedroom. Cold sweat trickled down his neck and tears stained his cheeks as he checked the clock on his night stand. It was 3.36AM, the date stated that it was the day of your wedding.

Feeling confused, Jun.Q kicked off his blanket and slid the doors of his wardrobe to find his clean tuxedo untouched and still covered in the plastic that was given by the dry-cleaning services. Everything was still in place, just as the way he left them before going to bed. It turned out to be one realistic nightmare. However, that dream had a big impact on Jun.Q, he still felt hurt by the words you said in his dreams. Unconsciously, the water works began again as he clutched onto a part of his shirt that was close to his chest, as if it could ease the pain he felt.

He made his way to a photo album he kept in one of his drawers at his studying desk. Flipping through the pages, nostalgia filled his senses. Those were the days when digital cameras were not as common and everything had to be developed in order in see the pictures. More than half of the pictures in the album had you in them, even some where he secretly took during high school. There wasn’t a delete function for old school cameras, so Jun.Q was quite happy with them even though you threw a fit at him for catching him a few times. Slowly, one by one, he filtered through the album and took out the pictures he secretly captured before packing them into an envelope. He threw on a parka and got out of his room.

 

It was still too early to go anywhere, but he took his house keys and was careful to not wake his parents up. He entered the elevator and pressed the button that allowed him to access the apartment’s rooftop. He enjoyed coming to this spot, it gave him a sense of peace.

Jun.Q inhaled the fresh, cooling breeze as he sat on the rooftop’s ledge. Although it was not a really tall apartment, the view below was equally pretty. He then exhaled deeply, knowing why he came here in the first place.

Reaching into his thick parka, he took out the envelope that contained your pictures. Then, he started to open it and draw a photograph from it at random. He held one between his fingers and pulled it out to see a picture of you in deep concentration. It was a picture he took when the two of you decided to stay back at school to study for the mid terms. He chuckled for a bit before fumbling to find something in his pocket.

He pulled out a lighter and flicked it open; creating sparks as he tried to ignite a flame. A luminous source of heat formed and he slowly closed the distance between a corner of the photograph and the fire. The glossy paper caught fire and started to cremate into thin, black ashes. He released the small piece of paper before the flames could come in contact with his fingers, letting the wind carry it away as it continued to reduce into nothing.

“I loved you, Minyeon.” Jun. Q whispered as he watched the ashes drift away.

----------

Hello hello, lovelies. Just like I promised, I've finally completed this short story (:
First off, I'd like the thank my Twinneh and a few music videos for giving me the inspiration for the flow of this story.
Also, a great, big, giant hug to Sam who also helped me when my writers' block occurred! I love you and miss you, Sam xD
Last but not least, thank you to all the readers who took an interest in this piece of work, I couldn't have done it without you guys! :D *deeply bows*
Please continue to support us in the future! even though we're inconsistent writers >~<
But it's really 'Go hard or go home!' when we write our stories because we hope you all can experience the joy of reading as we enjoyed making up our own storyline.
I love each and every one of you who read till this very last chapter and subbed and commented! <3
 Saranghae~ <3