Memories

I Remember (revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Check the Foreword for warnings/trigger warnings.

Shrouded rays pierce through parted drapes, painting the walls a stifled sort of grey. A miffed groan lifts heavily beneath layers of blankets and unkempt clothes – most of which are not certifiably clean – as the last remnants of slumber are aptly snatched with a hurried bark from downstairs.

Daehyun buries his face deep into his pillow, anticipating the unwelcome footsteps fast approaching. There it is, the jiggle of the loose door handle that undoubtedly precedes a flurry of “we’re gonna be late,” and mumblings of the like.

“Mmm,” is all Daehyun manages, which is more of a brush-off than a direct reply, but it seems to suffice as Jongup shuffles back out of the room with one last plea, “Please be ready in five minutes.”

---

“Why do I have to go with you?” Daehyun whines. He was never one to wake up before ten, save for the occasional bathroom run, unless he really had to.

One arm folds into the other habitually across his chest, his head tilting uncomfortably against the strap of the seatbelt which seems to dig exceptionally deep into his neck today.

Jongup grins just a bit. It’s amusing at times – how Daehyun ticks – and over the years Jongup has come to appreciate the little quirks Daehyun has to offer, however arduous they are.

“Cause if I get lost, at least I won’t be alone.”

With a roll of his eyes, Daehyun watches as buildings blur against the overcast sky into a mess of slate.

Alas the concrete labyrinth that passes itself off as an airport comes into view. Six U-turns and countless complaints later, they arrive at what is, for Jongup’s sake, the correct gate. He hops out, skimming faces as they pass.

Daehyun props his elbow against the door to rest his chin atop as a rather chipper Jongup motions for him to follow. With an exaggerated sigh and a slam of the door, Daehyun drags himself over to Jongup and digs his hands deep into the pockets of his ripped jeans – a pair of which Jongup accidentally slipped into the trash once, but it somehow managed its way back into Daehyun’s room because according to him there’s nothing wrong with it.

Daehyun looks around. It’s all so hectic. Horns blare, suitcases drag, people maneuver amongst each other. It only feeds his growing agitation, so much so that he almost misses Jongup calling out to someone.

A blonde figure weaves through the crowd. A wide grin spreads across his face as he reaches the duo, suitcase scraping the pavement as it’s pulled to a stop next to him. Jongup nudges Daehyun, prompting his attention and he pivots reluctantly, hands still planted deep in either pocket.

It’s not until his eyes lift that everything stops. Their gazes crash and neither is ready.

Daehyun’s heart is first to react, hammers unbearably to the beat of rusted cadences. Hordes of butterflies flitter through constrained flaps, battering against his ribcage. His skin prickles and his palms begin to sweat. Everything around fades to black, nothing but his own heartbeat echoes painfully loud in his ears. A pang resonates down to his core and it takes another nudge from Jongup to bring him back to life.

Daehyun jolts to the side, his expression betraying him, though he does nothing to hide it. He glances over to Jongup and lets out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. It takes a moment for everything to register before he realizes Jongup has asked something so he opens his mouth to inquire, unaware of how tight his throat has constricted and chokes back a knot.

Jongup shifts a little in place; unsure of what ever it is exactly that is happening right now. He has never seen Daehyun so flustered and it catches him off guard as he ponders how to react, but before he comes up with any resolve, Daehyun’s voice cracks into the air, “What?”

The question wavers and disappointment finds its way to Daehyun’s face as Jongup adjusts his stance again.

“I asked if you two knew each other.”

Daehyun swallows hard and his head drops ever so slightly, eyes angling to the left. His speech is soft, but the bite in his tone is evident, “No.”

Jongup looks to the other for confirmation, tension engulfing the three awkwardly situated some few feet from his car. Yongguk keeps his eyes fixated on Daehyun as if the younger will cease to exist if he does otherwise. Yongguk’s face is smeared with shock, but he shakes his head once to appease Jongup’s confusion. Jongup glances once more at Daehyun before reaching for his cousin’s suitcase and hesitantly walks toward the trunk.

Yongguk’s brow twitches and he opens his mouth to speak, not sure of what to say or how to say it, but he needs to say something. Something that will lessen the tension keeping them both at bay, something that will keep Daehyun here. Keep him from leaving.

But just as his voice finds the courage to crawl up the anxious walls lining his throat, Daehyun is walking away and there’s a part of Yongguk that wants to reach out and latch onto that wrist and never let go, but he doesn’t. Instead, he watches in silence as the younger disappears behind the too dark tint of the car door, his eyes scaling the outline of the shadow beyond the glass because that’s all that’s left tangible.

“Hyung.”

Yongguk peels his stare from the window as Jongup opens the back door and he trudges over, taking in a deep breath. He can hear Jongup reprimanding Daehyun for not giving their guest the front seat as he climbs into the back, but an argument is the last thing he wants so he reassures his cousin that it’s alright and he guesses that it works because their voices muffle with the engine. He fumbles with his earphones, tucking them snugly into either ear and lets smooth melodies wash over him. Beat after beat, dripping down into his soul, everything calming for a moment. A soft exhale leaves his lips, his eyes slowly creeping to the seat in front, resting on the tuft of hair peeking above the headrest. He nibbles at his bottom lip before dropping his gaze to the tattered edge of his phone case, deciding that it’s much safer to not look.

---

“Thanks, Uppie. Sorry again that it was such short no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter