3:02 (final)

I Remember (revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is it. It took a few years, but we've made it. I apologize in advance if it seems a little rushed, but I needed to finish it or I may never finish and this was done after working til midnight and it's currently 7 am so bear with me. I haven't proofread either. In all honesty, I haven't had any inspiration which is why it took so long to get here. But! I've been reignited by Yoonmin (bts) so expect to see that in the future! Thank you for sticking with me on this long journey. I hope you enjoy the read. Thank you all so much! <3 

Jongup is quite a ways from home before he stops walking, reminding himself of his talk with Yongguk. Daehyun needs me, he thinks, not hesitating in turning around and rushes to get back.

Daehyun is exactly where he left him, folding the rest of the laundry and Jongup blinks a few times to be sure. Daehyun looks up at him standing in the doorway and smiles before turning back to the pair of shorts he’s handling. It’s as if nothing happened and Jongup isn’t sure if he should be relieved or concerned.

“I, uh, I’m sorry about blowing up on you earlier,” Jongup says quietly. He closes the door and takes a seat next the other, picking a shirt up slowly and begins to fold. 

“It’s okay,” is all Daehyun says and it seems to be sincere.

Jongup relaxes a little in place, slouching a bit and Daehyun steals a glance at him.

“It’s okay, really. I’m not going to lose it just because we had an argument. I’m just not used to arguing with you. We never argue.” Daehyun tries his best to continue folding, but the longer it takes Jongup to respond the harder it’s becoming to remain nonchalant. 

“I know,” Jongup finally says and he can hear Daehyun let out a sigh. He waits a moment, the pair of them folding in silence, bites his bottom lip and decides to dive in.

“You scared me. To death,” Jongup says as boldly as he can then swallows. “And I’m not trying to be funny. I mean you really scared the out of me and I can’t forgive you for that.” His voice shakes a little, gaze not leaving the article of clothing between his fingers, not even when Daehyun places a hand on his wrist.  

“Jongup,” the elder whispers, grip tightening.

He sees Jongup’s jaw constrict with the passing seconds. His nose is turning pink, tears now visible are fighting to remain put and as Jongup parts his lips to speak, the edges begin to tremble and the first tear glides down his cheek. Reluctant, he turns away, hastily wiping at his chin. Daehyun is in shock, never having seen his best friend cry before and it takes a second for him to wrap his head around the situation. His friend is crying. He made his friend cry.

“Jongup-ah,” Daehyun’s voice cracks. “Jongup-ah,” he tries again, tugging at the other’s wrist. “Jongup-ah.” He’s getting louder because he’s not sure what he’s supposed to do. Daehyun pulls him into his chest hard and at first Jongup resists, tries to break free, but eventually gives in because the tears have developed into an ugly cry and it feels so good.

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun offers, cradling the other’s head against his. “I’m sorry for giving up. I’m not strong like you. You kept it together for the both of us for so long and I never said thank you, not even once.” He feels Jongup fall deeper into his arms.

“I just want you to know that I know what you’ve done for me and that I cannot ever repay you. I want you to know how grateful I am to have you and that I’m so sorry for putting you through that.” Tears begin welling up in Daehyun’s eyes and he looks to the ceiling to keep them from falling. 

Jongup is letting all the years of pent up stress, anxiety and bull out. He abhors crying in front of people, but this feels so nice. It’s been so long since he was able to let it out. There’s a catastrophic weight that’s been dragging him down and at last it’s been lifted. He can’t remember the last time he cried so hard that his breath hitched and at this point he doesn’t care. Daehyun is his hair and cooing into his ear, but Jongup has stopped listening because he’s finally free from all of the burdens the world has thrown at him. 

- - - 

The sun is casting an orange tinge across the sky and Jiho lets out a sigh. He’s at the fair with a few friends and everyone is having a good time, smiling, chatting, riding and when they engage in conversation with him he responds as lively as he can and it’s enough to keep them from seeing behind his facade. 

Although it seems as though the universe doesn’t want him to be happy, he’s come to terms with it and no, he is not feeling sorry for himself. What bothers him is that he doesn’t know what to do because there’s nothing he can do without someone getting hurt. Daehyun is his biggest mystery. We’re back to square one, he thinks, back to Daehyun hating me. I shouldn’t have pushed him away, it was my fault that he tried to-

“Hey!” Myungsoo calls out to Jiho, pulling him from his thoughts. Jiho jogs over with a feigned grin that none of them notice and Myungsoo swings an arm around his shoulder. 

“Look who’s here,” he says gesturing at two people walking toward them. Jiho almost doesn’t believe it. 

“Dae. Jongup. Hi,” is all he gets out. Jongup gives Daehyun a nudge and the elder offers a half smile and a lift of his chin as a means of greeting and the group is off into the night. 

The fair is a pretty sight. Lights glow against the darkening sky, games chime in the background, couples huddle close through the crowd. It’s not too busy for a Saturday night and all Jiho is focused on is how to strike up a conversation with Daehyun. He’s still shocked that he’s even out right now, but that’s beside the point. Jongup is here and it comforts Jiho a little to know that if all else fails, there’s someone who can save him. 

Jiho isn’t really participating in anything, more like dragging behind the group aloof until he ends up wandering too far and it’s Daehyun that notices his absence. 

“Where’s Jiho?” Daehyun asks Jongup who takes a look around and shrugs. “I don’t know, I thought he was behind us.”

“Well maybe we should find him,” Daehyun says trying not to sound worried. “He didn’t seem like himself.”

“What do you mean?” Jongup asks. 

“What do you mean what do I mean? He wasn’t playing any games or going on any rides. He’s just following us around. He’s not even talking to anyone.” Daehyun responds a little agitatedly.

“You were watching him?” Jongup says, confused. He hadn’t noticed anything off about Jiho, though he feels a tad guilty for not realizing he’s disappeared. “You know what, let’s split up. I’ll go around this way and you go around that side and we’ll meet by the ferris wheel. If I don’t find either of you, I’ll call. Okay?”

Daehyun nods and starts heading into the heaviest part of the fair. Why do people block the way like freaking idiots, he thinks, but catches himself. He doesn’t want to go back to being who he was pre-rehab. He manages his way through until he reaches a break in the crowd and begins to worry when he realizes that he’s almost done making his way around his half of the fair without any sign of Jiho. He’s about to give up when someone approaches from behind.

“Looking for something?”

Daehyun twists and a smile immediately finds its way across his face. “Where have you been?”

Jiho looks around. “Got lost I guess.”

“I tried calling you. You could’ve called us.”

Jiho shrugs. “Guess I didn’t mind being lost.”

Quiet follows and even in the midst of a fair, Daehyun can feel the silence. He just stares for a moment at the elder whose focus is off to the side. He looks sad, Daehyun thinks.

“Do you want to ride the ferris wheel?”

Jiho returns his attention to the younger and his face softens a little with a smile Daehyun knows is obligatory. His brows lift just the slightest and he nods. They walk side by side, neither speaking until they’re in line.

“I’ve never ridden one before, have you?” Daehyun tries to lighten the tension and Jiho appreciates the gesture, grinning with a shake of his head. Daehyun forms an O with his mouth, plants both hands into the pockets of his jacket and looks up at the massive metal structure that they’re about to get on. 

Jongup has made his way over to the ferris wheel and pulls his phone from his pocket to call Daehyun when he sees them standing in line. He smiles with relief and decides to let them settle things alone. 

The pair are finally in their car and when the ride starts moving, Daehyun jumps a little, unintentionally reaching for Jiho’s hand. It makes Jiho respond with a tiny jump, but he smiles when he realizes Daehyun has his hand in a death grip. He’s squeezing so hard that both their knuckles are turning white. Daehyun is looking up at the sky with lips pursed together. Jiho takes his free hand and clasps it gently over Daehyun’s. The younger doesn’t look, instead closes his eyes tight.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m scared of heights,” Daehyun speaks so fast Jiho barely catches it. The elder lets out a small chuckle. “Then why did you suggest we ride this?”

“I don’t know. It was the first thing I could think of. And you were sad and it was quiet and awkward.”

Jiho gives Daehyun’s hand a pat. “Open your eyes. It’s okay.”

Daehyun avidly shakes his head. “I’m fine like this.” His entire body is tense and Jiho is pretty sure that he’s lost all circulation in his left hand, but he doesn’t mind.

“Open your eyes and relax. I promise you’ll be fine,” Jiho’s tone is comforting and it’s enough to make Daehyun trust him. Slowly he peels his eyes open, but he doesn’t let go of Jiho’s hand. He lets out a breath as calmly as he can manage and looks around. They’re nearing the ground again and it’s actually quite beautiful. 

“Isn’t it nice?” Jiho asks, hoping the younger will let up on his numbing hand, but he doesn't. Daehyun is still in awe of the view, only adjusting his gaze when he feels Jiho pull away slightly. 

“Oh sorry. I didn’t even know I was squeezing your hand,” Daehyun apologizes sheepishly. Jiho dismisses it with a smile and pats the other’s thigh. Their car begins its ascent and again Daehyun reaches for Jiho’s hand. This time though, the elder lets their fingers interlock and a reassuring thumb across the side of Daehyun’s hand. It appeases the younger and he relaxes into the chair taking a look out at the fair.

At last the terrifying ferris wheel comes to a stop and car after car gets released until it’s their turn. Daehyun gets off with legs a little shaky so Jiho helps him off the platform and onto the ground where its safe. Jongup is watching and can’t help but smile because things are finally looking up. 

- - - 

"We went to the fair last night. I invited Dae and he showed up. With Jongup of course, but he showed," Jiho states, content with himself.

Yongguk's brows lift in surprise and he smiles because Daehyun is doing so well, but a small part of him wishes that he was invited too. He supposes that Jiho picks up on it because he's apologizing for not inviting the elder who shrugs it off with a sheepish grin. 

"That's good," Yongguk says, looking down at his mug. He taps a finger lightly against the tabletop. "Remember the last time we came here...I asked you to do something for me."

Jiho thinks back and nods, vaguely recalling. "Yes. Wait, no, not really. Sorry. What did you ask me to do?"

"I don't think I got a chance to, I kind of just left."

Jiho stares intently waiting for Yongguk to finish his thought. A good minute passes and the elder hasn't lifted his gaze or attempted to open his mouth so Jiho reaches across the table to pat the elder's hand. "What were you gonna say?"

"Oh," Yongguk starts, finally looking up at his friend. His friend, Yongguk finds it funny and smiles to himself thinking of how far they've come. 

"What are you smiling at?"

Yongguk shakes his head trying to hide his grin, "Nothing." He clears his throat, face becoming stern. "I wanted to ask you to take care of Daehyun for me."

Jiho kind of just stares, not sure what exactly that means because hasn't he been taking care of him all this time? Yongguk catches the odd look and takes a deep breath in. 

"Date him," he says flatly. Jiho almost spits his drink out, swallowing hard. "What?"

"Date him," he says again, nicer this time.

Jiho starts to smile, but his lips pull down when he realizes that Yongguk isn't joking. "And why would I do that?"

"Because you're a good guy. I know you'll take good care of him."

"No offense, but we haven't been friends for that long. How do you know I'm a good guy? You hated me, remember?"

Yongguk snickers at that last part. Oh, I remember, he thinks. "Because it takes a special kind of person to love Daehyun when he was an overbearing ."

Jiho feels his cheeks warm a little. "I don't think that I can do that, hyung," he responds in all seriousness. 

Hyung. Yongguk recalls the first time Jiho called him that it caught him off guard, but quickly grew on him. "What do you mean? You don't have feelings for him anymore?"

Jiho shakes his head. "I don't know. I spent a long time trying to get over him. I pushed him away, I avoided him, I didn't talk to him. And that's when he was trying to hold onto me. And I never understood why. Why all of a sudden would he try to be with me? Because I didn't want him anymore? I was finally ready to let him go and he does that to me? Then the next thing I'm being called to the hospital by Jongup." It pains them both to bring that night up and they sit in silence for a moment.

"Oh," Yongguk breaks the quiet. "Sorry. I didn't realize."

Jiho waves a hand in dismissal. "I felt used. Then it hit me that I was being used. And at first I was okay with it, but then it got harder because I wanted something more than what he was willing to give me and I understood. But then he just changed his mind. Like he was so desperate to not lose a friend that he was willing to compromise his own feelings. How crazy is that?" Jiho looks at Yongguk as if genuinely asking, but doesn't wait for a response because he doesn't want to hear it. "I guess it's not that crazy. He didn't really have friends. I basically told him that I couldn't be his chew toy anymore and he told me to give him a chance. What the hell was I supposed to do?"

"Only Daehyun knows what he felt. I don't know if he really meant it when he said he wanted to be with you, but I know he needs you. Maybe he was misinterpreting missing you for liking you. Maybe he was realizing that he did actually like you. You won't know unless you give it a shot, right?"

Jiho fiddles with his fingers. Yongguk sighs. "Look, I'm not going to force you to do anything you don't want to do. I know how hard it was for you to walk away. But if you're still willing to give him a shot then maybe he is too. I mean he showed up to the fair. That's saying something."

"Hyung, why are you asking me to date him? Why don't you date him?" Jiho asks, not quite understanding.

"You think Daehyun wants to date me?" Yongguk scoffs. "He can't even look at me and I've accepted that. I'm the reason that he turned into a monster. I take full responsibility for everything and I know that I don't deserve another chance with him, but I came back and tried anyway and look where we ended up."

"He still loves you."

Yongguk's ears perk with that statement, but he keeps his eyes low. "What?" 

"Remember his birthday night? He showed up. To everything that you planned. I guess he was too late, but he went. Remember the note from the tree that I had no right in taking? How do you think I got it? We found him there. He went to the damn field. He was a ing mess because you weren't there."

Yongguk thinks back to that night and shakes his head. "No, I waited. I waited so ing long my legs went numb. I waited and waited and he never showed."

"He showed, hyung."

Yongguk sits in disbelief not realizing it the first time Jiho pulled the note out and how he overreacted with why he was in possession of something so personal. . 

"New plan. Operation 'Yongguk asks Daehyun on a date' shall commence," Jiho says, tapping his fingers together like some sort of villain and Yongguk doesn't like the way he's looking at him. 

- - -

"Just sit there, okay, hyung?" Jiho coerces Yongguk into a plan the elder knows will go south, but he amuses the younger anyway and sits on a bench in the middle of the mall, rolling his eyes. 

JH: Are you guys here yet?

JU: Yeah, just parked. Where are we supposed to "meet" again?

JH: By the fountain

JU: Copy that

Yongguk is shaking his right leg impatiently, looking around nervous. He swallows hard. Why am I doing this? If I get rejected in public I'm gonna punch Jiho so fricking hard. Jiho gives Yongguk's shoulder a slap and runs to hide behind a kiosk, yelling as inconspicuously as he can, "They're here!" and points in the direction behind Yongguk. He turns to see Jongup walking with Daehyun and he looks away, eyes wide. What do I ing say? , , . He hears them talking, getting closer and panic starts to set in. Stand up, stupid. 

He jumps up, hoping he didn't look as ridiculous as he thinks and casually walks to his left, bumping into Jongup. He pretends to be surprised and apologizes for not watching where he's going. Yongguk is staring at Jongup, desparation oozing from his eyes as his brows begin melding together in an upward motion. He's frozen, trying to peel his gaze away to look at Daehyun, but he can't. His mouth opens to say something and it's Jongup who finally catches the hint and speaks. "Funny running into you here, hyung. Right, Dae?" Jongup nudges Daehyun's side and he nods with a cocked brow. "Reeeally funny," Daehyun adds. Yongguk's cheeks flush a tinge of pink and he looks down to hide it.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter