Never Easy

I Remember (revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A sharp gasp cuts through the silence. Daehyun shoots up, eyes darting around the darkness. It was just a dream.

It takes a good minute before his breathing calms to a slower rhythm. He takes a glance down, rubbing a disapproving palm over his face and lifts the blanket reluctantly to find a dark spot trailing down his thigh. He dares to peek beneath his boxers, revealing a sticky mess thinly strained between the cotton and his smothered skin. Carefully he slides off the mattress and creeps toward the door, twisting the knob quietly and as lightly as he can tiptoes down the hall trying desperately to keep his boxers from rubbing uncomfortably against him. A faint creak stops him dead in his tracks, eyes widening in horror when a blonde figure fathoms before him. .

Yongguk yawns; something in his peripherals catches his eye and as he turns, he nearly falls to the floor in shock. Daehyun can only stand there, awkwardly positioning his hands in front of partially crossed legs. Yongguk doesn’t quite know how to react, meekly lifting an arm in a sad attempt to wave and tugs the corner of his lips in a half smile. Even if Daehyun wants to wave back he can’t so he reverts to his first line of defense: ignoring and it seems to work because Yongguk disappears down the stairs.

With the click of the front door, Daehyun lifts a hand to hold his chest and scurries to the bathroom with haste. A chunk of sodden toilet paper lays crumpled in the trash as Daehyun makes his way back to the safety of his room, eager to switch out of the dank pair of underwear he is currently sporting. Hopping back into bed, he glances at the clock only now realizing that it’s nearly six in the morning and he wonders what Yongguk is doing up so early. He watches the second hand rotate around the clock’s face and drifts back to sleep.

---

Daehyun’s nose twitches and eyes flutter open, focuses on a piece of pink attached to his face. He sits up and plucks it from his forehead. It’s a post-it with very poor penmanship scribbled across its surface.

Happy birthday! Follow the notes to your surprise!

His gaze falls from the post-it to the floor where little cutout musical notes are strewn in a crooked path, eyes rolling with the cheesy cliché. He isn’t big on surprises. A groan leaves his lips as he lifts himself from the sheets, slowly trudging down the hall to the bathroom whilst the notes veer otherwise. He finishes brushing, dries his face and through fairly open eyes sighs at another post-it stuck to the mirror. He snatches it with a scoff.

I knew you wouldn’t follow instructions. Such a stubborn . Just follow the notes. Please?

Daehyun gives his reflection a stare, glances back down to the sticky and tosses it in the trash. He’s about to go back to his room, but flicks a quick look at the black eighth note calling out to him at the top of the staircase. He takes a moment with hands tucked into his pockets and although ready to defy, something compels him down the stairs. The trail leads to the kitchen where a package sits on the island and he scans the living room for the culprit. Hesitantly he tucks his bottom lip between his teeth and pokes at the plastic, evaluating its contents.

“Something better not jump out at me.” He unravels the knot with caution. “Cheesecake!” Another note is stuck to the lid.

Don’t forget to breath between bites.

Half a slice – if it can be called a slice - becomes mush in a matter of seconds, Daehyun chomping happily away at the savory treat. Jongup enters, catching him mid chew. The elder halts. He’s quite the sight, he imagines and with the chuckle Jongup offers, he’s wiping remnants from his chin.

“Couldn’t even wait to grab a fork?”

Daehyun at the tips of his fingers with mouth still full and manages a “thank you”.

“Thank you for what?”

Daehyun points to the mutilated cheesecake and the other shakes his head. “That’s not from me.” Daehyun struggles to swallow. There’s only one other person in this house. Before he can convince himself without defiance, Jongup speaks. “Oh, happy birthday! Even though it’s already noon. What're we gonna do today?”

“I have work. 2-10.”

“What? Your boss didn’t give you the day off? Well, what do you wanna do after work?”

Daehyun shrugs, shoving another handful into his mouth, jaw straining to fit it in one go.

---

“I don’t know if this is gonna work. He’s gonna see it,” Hoon says apprehensively. Yongguk pokes his tongue between parted lips that curl up into a smile as he steps back to revel at his work. “If we hang it so that the inside is facing out, then he won’t see it.” Yongguk places the apron onto the rack accordingly. Hoon grins with hands cupping his hips.

“When I first met you I thought you were crazy, but I gotta admit you’ve got perseverance.”

Yongguk chuckles and looks around the café. “Thanks for letting me do this.”

Hoon rests a hand on his shoulder, “No prob. You’re lucky boss is off today,” he grins, “Yaknow, I never thought I’d befriend someone I found in a bush.”

Yongguk laughs, “I know what you mean, six dollars.”

Hoon’s grin drops, “Hey! I told you to stop calling me that. When I found you that day, my shift had just started so that was the only tip I had! Geez, this guy.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, six dollars.”

“Seriously!” Hoon shouts with eyes squinted.

Yongguk chortles, “I’m just joking, geez.”

Hoon whips at him with the corner of a towel and walks to the back to get ready to open. Yongguk heads to the front, sits at the counter lining the kitchen. He remembers the day that he met Hoon and how crazy he felt creeping on Daehyun. He thought that for sure Hoon would tell Daehyun, but he never did. In fact, Hoon would come outside every afternoon and give Yongguk a café mocha “on the house”, sometimes staying to chat before being called to get back to work. It was a routine with an unconventional start that blossomed into a good friendship.

When Yongguk left for the States, Hoon promised to keep him updated, but was declined. Yongguk confessed that the reason he was leaving was to forget, though Hoon knew better. Things weren’t that easy and even if he runs, the past will eventually catch up to him. The only thing anyone can do is to move forward, yet Yongguk wasn’t willing to listen, much less comply.

Hoon sympathized with the guy. Though there was nothing he could do but watch the two try to live their days separately and it didn’t take a keen eye to see the struggle behind Daehyun’s smile. He assumed Yongguk was having just as hard a time.

---

Daehyun enters through the side door, rolls his sleeves up to mid forearm.

“Happy birthday!” his coworkers chime.

He offers an appreciative smile and heads to the back, tying his apron neatly around his waist. Hoon struggles to stifle a grin when Daehyun passes to get to the front, holds a finger to his lips when Eunjo takes note of the little banner pinned to Daehyun’s apron. With full attention placed on the bag of coffee beans in hand, Daehyun plops it onto the counter and just as he’s about to open it, his mouth parts agape.

The entire café is adorned with bright colors, streamers hanging along walls, loops spaced evenly out. The windows sport drawings that look as if a kindergartener drew them; most are stick figures bouncing about. “Happy birthday, Daehyun!” is scribbled on each panel. Balloons flood the ceiling, each with a face messily drawn on. Even the mugs are littered with pathetic looking, but adorable nonetheless doodles.

“Oh my god,” he sputters.

Hoon slings an arm around his shoulders.

“Did you guys do all of this?”

Hoon shakes his head, examines the room himself, “Actually no. It’s your secret admirer.”

Daehyun brightens when he contemplates his options. Maybe it was Myungsoo. Maybe he broke up with whatsherface and finally realized his feelings for Daehyun.

Hoon hops away with a wink, “I couldn’t get boss to give you the day off, but he compromised in letting you leave early.”

Daehyun nods. Perhaps this day won’t be too bad a birthday after all.

~

Among the afternoon crowd, a few familiar faces emerge. Daehyun comes from behind the counter to greet his friends. Taeri is the first to point out the new embellishment on his apron and the others join in on the laughter. Daehyun follows her notion to a little banner pinned to the bottom of his apron and rips it off, sc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter