Ignorance Is Bliss.

Broken Symphony

 

HyeSeung grumbled as she walked to school, wondering if she was ready to face JaeJoong after their argument the day before. Yes, she could have stayed home, done absolutely nothing. But today was the day she had to present with her wonderful partner, Kim JaeJoong. And she couldn’t let him down, as much as she’d have liked to. Besides, her grades depended on it. She sighed, puffing up her cheeks to then blow out puffs of air. Taking a deep breath of air, she held tightly onto the straps of her backpack, raising her head up high, ready for anything—or anyone.

 



 

 

Yoochun’s eyes bugged out and his mouth gaped open, exclaiming, “MOH?”

JaeJoong flipped a coin in his hands, seeing it’s two sides, reminded of how he’d met someone who had been just like that coin. Junsu. He bitterly replied, “Yeah.”

Yunho thought, trying to comprehend the entire situation, still appalled at what JaeJoong had told the two just a few minutes ago. “So…she did the project with you and you guys became like best friends. Then a few minutes later…you guys argued? Over Junsu? So now you’re…enemies?”

Yoochun chuckled, rubbing his chin with his two fingers, “A lover’s quarrel. You know what they say…it’s only a step from love to hate.”

JaeJoong caught the coin, closing his hand over it, exclaiming, “YAH!”

 



 

 

HyeSeung shut her locker, frowning at the thought of going to class, then startled to see a pink paper fall to her shoes. “What is this?” Turning to see who was around her, she observed the same people as usual, talking about random nonsense. None of them could have been the ones to leave it there. Tucking it into her pocket, she walked out of the building, towards the back of the school. It was there where she opened it, reading the few words that had been written. Her eyes widened and she dropped it, dashing in the other direction with a smile on her face.

 



 

 

JaeJoong flipped the coin once more, thinking to himself, ‘Heads I forgive her, tails I don’t.’ He really wondered what the final result would be, but before the coin could land on his palm, he felt someone push him aside. Dizzy and confused, JaeJoong looked to see who it had been and the familiar face astounded him. But why hadn’t she apologized? Why hadn’t she stopped or even bothered to notice him?

Yoochun laughed, offering a hand to his friend, but not before saying wittedly, “HyeSeung didn’t bother to notice you now, did she?”

JaeJoong looked to see where the coin was and when he did, he was baffled once more. Heads. So he had to keep his word, right? Frustrated, he kicked the coin, pleased to see it fly elsewhere, “I can’t stand her!”

 



 

 

Yunho, who had gone to get a soda from the vending machine, winced as he felt a small object whack him in the head. He sighed, rubbing the area he’d been hurt, but then smiled when he saw the coin. “It’s my lucky day! A penny!” Shoving it into his pocket, he headed off to where the others were with a smug grin on his face.

 



 

 

Junsu had his books under his arm, casually whistling, observing all the crazy students chitter-chatter. He glanced at the time, realizing the bell would ring in a few minutes. HyeSeung then walked towards him, confused a little once she saw the grin on his face. Lifting an eyebrow, she asked, “What’s with the note?”

He held her hand, squeezing it tightly, and then remarked, “Kaja!”

She tried to hold back and her eyes grew, becoming similar to those of an innocent child, “W-where?” Why had she stuttered? What was this new side to her? Now she couldn’t even refuse a boy. All thanks to meeting two handsome boys from school. Oh how she desired to have never met them for she wanted the old HyeSeung back.

“Yah, I’m not going to hurt you. I know that neither of us wishes to attend class today. What is one day going to hurt? You’re probably the goody-two-shoes girl. The one that arrives to class early with her folders neatly arranged on the desk. Am I right? Prove everyone wrong. Get a taste of freedom. Break the rules, become yourself.”

Become yourself…

“Okay then, but just for today. We better have fun Junsu!”

“Or else what?”

“You’ll buy me an ice cream!”

He laughed and was amazed at the innocence of this girl. Though she gave off the attitude of a tough girl, she was really an innocent girl who felt lost in the world. He understood the way she felt because he too had gone through that phase. Unfortunately for him however, no one had been there for him the way he was for HyeSeung now.

 



 

 

“Han HyeSeung.”

Silence. Nobody responded to the calling of the girl’s name. It was like one of those moments in the movies where you would hear the chirping of a cricket. The teacher cleared his throat, searching the classroom to see the young girl’s face before repeating her name.

“She’s not here.” JaeJoong bitterly said. He was in a foul mood today for she had basically ditched him. She had been in the school today! But for some reason, she had not shown up to class.

“How odd. She’s always here…”

 

One girl whispered to another with a frown, “Not such a role model now, is she?” The other shook her head in response, agreeing silently.

 

The teacher then asked with a frown on his face, “JaeJoong, is your project ready?” He still could not believe that HyeSeung had not shown up. Had she a valid reason for doing so?

“Yes.”

“Come up and present.”

“But my partner isn’t here!”

“She will get marked down for it. Don’t you want to get some credit for at least being here? Amaze me.”

 

“Ermm…” JaeJoong scratched the back of his neck nervously, beads of sweat running down his forehead, and he could feel the intense stares from his classmates.

Yunho shook his head, murmuring, "Ooh this is NOT looking good. Probably since I'm the one who has the lucky penny!"

Yoochun rolled his eyes, "What the HELL are you talking about?"

 



 

 

“Junsu-shi!”

“Anyeonghaseyo ahjumma! How are you?”

“Just fine. Who is the lovely lady?” She winked at him, hinting for the response she wished to hear.

HyeSeung bowed, “Anyeonghaseyo, je ireum HyeSeung ni da.”

Junsu smirked, wondering what the other would do next when she’d hear his words. “My girlfriend and I wish to have some fun. She has had a bad day and I wish to make it up to her.”

“Omo, what a cute couple! I’ll let it slide for today just for HyeSeung, but you better stop skipping school—or I’ll tell your omma!”

“Ye!”

 

HyeSeung slapped his shoulder, “Yah, what did you say that for?”

“Well you are a girl, that is my friend. I wasn’t lying. Yah, did you want me to really be your boyfriend?”

“Junsu!”

“I’m playing. But you should call me your oppa for taking you out for some fun.”

She scrunched up her nose, “I don’t like oppa…I’d rather say Junsu. It doesn’t sound as…desperate.”

He couldn’t help but laugh at her response. She was so different from other girls.

HyeSeung continued, “Besides, haven’t you seen dramas? Do you ever notice how it’s the bad girl who shrieks ‘Oppa! Oppa!’ They are the ones who twist up the whole story and how you get all the usual drama.”

“You watch dramas? Pfft, lame.”

“My omma forces me! Besides, I find them rather amusing. Love must be complicated, neh?”

Junsu rolled his eyes. She had no idea.

 

They were in a park that had some animal exhibits, rides, and places to eat. Junsu went to a small café and told HyeSeung to wait for him outside. She had insisted on accompanying him, but he had refused. So here she was, sitting outside, bored as she watched others walk around.

There was a teenage girl whom must have been about fourteen years old or so. She had earphones plugged in her ear with her hood up and bangs that covered half of her face. A woman was following the girl closely, struggling to catch up. It must have been her daughter for she heard the woman exclaim, “JunHee! Why can’t you have fun? What happened to my innocent little girl that used to love coming here?”

HyeSeung felt her eyes become moist as she recognized the two people in front of her. Was this the way her mother felt with her? Since when had she begun to block herself from the love others offered? She would constantly push anyone who tries to approach her away. Should she try to accept and trust?

“Chan!”

Turning, she saw a cone with a scoop of oreo cookies n’ cream ice cream. She smiled, “Junsu! Thank you!”

“No problem.”

“Aren’t you going to eat some?”

“No. I don’t have such a sweet tooth.”

“Are you sure?”

“Now that you mention it, how about you share a bite?” He snatched the cone, opening his mouth, teasing her.

“My ice cream…”

 



 

 

“JaeJoong oppa!”

He turned, not interested in what the girls had to say.

“Congratulations! You did well! I think your presentation was supreme!”

He shrugged, not that impressed with his work.

One girl slyly said, “That HyeSeung is such a snob. She didn’t even help you oppa.”

JaeJoong’s head spun to face the girl who had just said such a thing. His voice became icy and he glared at her, “Don’t mention her again.”

“Y-yyes oppa.”

 



 

 

“Look at the monkey! It’s just like JaeJoong. That brat.”

Junsu winced from hearing the name, uncomfortable for a few seconds.

She observed such reaction, intending to pry in this problem between JaeJoong and Junsu. “Mian. But, I’m curious, why don’t you two get along?”

“It’s a long story—”

“We have some good amount of time. And I am a good listener.”

 



 

 

“JaeJoong, she isn’t the only one missing. Junsu didn’t go to his class either.”

“What?”

Yunho didn’t see what the big deal was. “So what if they went together? Maybe they're going out or something.”

Yoochun nudged Yunho with a scowl. JaeJoong balled his hand into a fist, furious from the thought. He then winced at realizing he was...jealous? Trying to keep his cool, he nonchalantly replied, "Why should I care? It's not like I share something special with that girl."

"By the way hyung, who are you taking to the dance?"

 



 

 

HyeSeung nearly slammed her face onto the bench she was sitting in after hearing the entire story. “So, let me get this straight, this is ALL a misunderstanding? Please tell me the whole thing over again.”

Junsu sighed and he couldn’t believe that he had to repeat himself. What a girl HyeSeung was… “Okay. JaeJoong and I used to be friends, very close friends. Originally, it had been five in his band. JaeJoong, Yoochun, Yunho, ChangMin, and I.”

“Changmin? Who the heck is he?”

“He was a childhood friend of ours. When we had just started out, we weren’t too well known. Sure, some people came, but it was mostly the girls from our class. They were our big fans back then. After a few weeks, we became bigger. Occasionally, we held concerts in the school auditorium.”

“You rock-star boys.”

“Hell yes. But then there came a time when ChangMin reunited us all to tell us an important piece of news. We had expected something like a new car or house, but the news was rather distressing. He told us he was leaving the country so therefore, he was leaving the band as well. As you can expect, JaeJoong did not take that very well. He refused to let him leave and even had a brief chat with his mother. In short, JaeJoong made ChangMin’s mother cry. She really felt guilty about having to take her son away just for her benefit. When ChangMin discovered his mother with tears on her face, he exploded. He stormed over to one of our practices and vented out his anger on JaeJoong. He said things he never meant such as the fact that he thought we’d never succeed and that he thought our music wasn’t that great. Being the proud boy JaeJoong was, he couldn’t acknowledge the fact that he had made a mistake in talking to his mother. And he felt betrayed when he heard ChangMin’s insults.”

“Oh dear. What a mess.”

“Then came the day in which we were to say goodbye to ChangMin in the airport. JaeJoong never showed up for he still couldn’t believe that ChangMin was leaving. I remember poor ChangMin’s face. He was torn up, but he was strong and didn’t say a word about it.”

 

[Flashback]

 

Junsu approached JaeJoong with a glum face, “Hyung…”

“Junsu! What’s wrong?”

“Omma…noona…they’re gone.”

“Moh?”

“They could not bear any longer from the accident. They are both dead.”

“I’m sorry…come, let’s meet up with the others.”

“No, that is why I came to talk to you. I do not want to participate in the band anymore. I am too distressed to play around with instruments. I’d rather be alone and think. I need some space and feel that you guys will do better without me.”

“But you’re the best guitarist we have!”

“JaeJoong, I am not going to change my mind. I am not asking for your opinion—I am telling you what is to happen.”

“YOU’RE JUST LIKE CHANGMIN! ARE YOU GOING TO ABANDON US AS WELL? YOU—SISSY!”

“Shut…UP! What the hell is your problem? I just lost two precious family members! Do you expect me to skip around like a fool? And as far as I know, it was NOT ChangMin’s fault! Do you even have a clue WHY he left? His mother had lung cancer! So they left in hope for a treatment for her. You know, his mother ended up dying? Do you think it’s easy?”

“Don’t push me away! I know how you fe—”

“NO, no you don’t. You just care about your stupid music. Well, go on, go play!” Junsu huffed furiously, so frustrated at how his friend could not comprehend him.

 

“How did you know about ChangMin?”

“He came back a year ago and I happened to bump into him. He told me of his life and that his mother died three months after moving into the U.S. He still lives there with his father and is learning about the family business. He is too busy to play music. He even claimed that his music era was over.”

“Wow.”

“Poor JaeJoong. I feel I was too harsh on him that night. His mother always did neglect him once his father left her. She sometimes even blamed him for her unhappiness. He acts like he doesn’t care, but he really does. He can’t stand how his real family pushed him away. So, in a way, we became his family. He felt he could confide in us like his dongsaengs.”

“Ah, I understand now. Aish, that boy. He practically yelled at me when I mentioned your name.”

“Ooh, you did?” Junsu wiggled his eyebrows in a teasing manner yet again. Oh, how he enjoyed being with HyeSeung.

“Not like that!”

He laughed and she ended up joining him. Her radiant smile was beautiful and he wished she would always be this way. She was a one of a kind girl. A rare one for sure. “Where to next?”

“The rollercoaster!”

“Okay!”

 



 

 

JaeJoong snorted as he thought about HyeSeung. That girl had completely humiliated him by making him present on his own. What shame to hear all those girls giggle to themselves when he had started to speak. So she had left him for Junsu? What a twisted woman.



 

 

The two laughed as they walked down the lane. HyeSeung carried a plush panda against her chest. Junsu had won it for her in a water gun contest. They were chattering about random things, enjoying the wonderful day they had spent together. He was already about to offer to take her home when she stopped. “What?”

“Junsu, let’s eat! It’s MY treat.”

“Okay. How can I refuse to such a pretty lady?”

“Don’t call me pretty…”

 

The two stopped at a stand and HyeSeung ordered a bibimbap for the two of them. They sat facing each other and continued to talk as they ate. There was then a moment when only one fried egg remained and the two fought for it with their chopsticks, claiming it was war. In the end, it was a matter of luck that it parted exactly in half so the two savored it in their mouth with pleasure.

 

HyeSeung observed a man playing the guitar and he even sang, hoping those who passed by would donate a few coins, anything to help make a difference. At first unsure, she pulled out her coin purse and took out two round coins. She dropped them in the man’s guitar case with a smile. The man grinned, greatly pleased that the girl was not only beautiful, but kind as well. Junsu then crouched down, whispering something to the man, and then placing his palms together with a smile.

 

He sat with the guitar on his lap and his fingers pressed against the strings. A beautiful melody came from it and when he opened his mouth to sing a song she had never heard before, she just grinned, pleased to hear him. His head bobbed to the rhythm of what he was playing.

 

Junsu dropped her off in front of her house and waved goodbye when she opened her door. He sighed suddenly and went off in the other direction of where his home was. He lived with an old lady that had practically drug him to her small house when she’d seen him wandering through the streets late one night. But as for now, he had something to take care of. He was content with the way today had gone. HyeSeung was such a nice girl and he did not ever get the feeling she was lying about what she said. What came from was nothing but the truth.

Truth.

Now he was going to have to expose some of it to an old friend of his. His phone rang and he answered, “Yeobosayo. Ah, yes, I took care of it. I know, we will finally bring that fool back to his senses. No, don’t be crazy, I don’t like her like that. Shut up, I’m hanging up.”

He didn’t like her. Right?

 

HyeSeung shut her eyes, tired. “What a nice day. Mianhae JaeJoong-ah for judging you…”