Her past life

The Most Important Decision [Short Story]

 

 

 

Now 15 years old ~~~ is trying to forget the past because of the things that has happened to her and now she back to the place where it all started…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Back in Middle school (12 years old) *

“Ugly’s coming” people muttered loudly, to make sure she could hear them. Everyone continued talking about her as she walked through the school halls. Sniggering filled the halls and everyone ended up pointing at her, which made her self-conscious of what was going on.

 

Once again moving schools hasn’t worked. She hasn’t had any luck in life and school makes it worst for her. Every school she moved to gave her a hard time because everyone in Busan knows her. You might think that why can’t she move countries but she is unable to move anywhere? Well, because she doesn’t have the money and she can’t exactly quit school. If she did, she wouldn’t be able to achieve her dreams.

 

 In Busan she’s known as the term ‘Ugly’ because she lived a different life. It was like a disease that a doctor couldn’t cure, it was like a curse that couldn’t be broke, and a memory that could never be forgotten.   

 

This is why she always keeps her hair down to avoid all comments; however these comments can’t just go in one ear and go out in the other. She hears everything and she can’t do anything about it because she’s the one she’s isolated. They make her feel alone and like she doesn’t belong there. You might think why are they letting people do this? Well, there are some people who feel sorry for her but they don’t have the courage to defend her because there were too much people against her. 

 

“Ugly, what are you doing here?” the captain of the football (soccer) team asked with a weird look. All the girls were surrounding him. He was the one of the most popular guy in the school and the girls wouldn’t dare disagree with him.

 

“Yeah, Yeah, what are you doing here?” every girl that with him repeated what he said in sync. They sounded like robots who always obey their master. She didn’t answer because what would she say. She’s not a person who talks back.

 

“Go back to the streets, Ugly” a person in the crowd shouted while throwing a piece of paper at her. Then, all of them suddenly started to throw something at her. That included a pencil, rubber, ruler (sounds like they threw their whole pencil case) and the worst that they threw (actually was a football) until the bell rang. “Saved by the bell” a quiet whisper was heard by her.

 

After her mum and dad died at age 7 at Seoul, she has no clue on where to go so she ended up living in the streets for a few months. One day, she coincidentally bumped into a care worker, who happens to live in Busan. That care worker took her to the care home and took care of her. When that care worker took her home she told everyone that she was from the streets then that’s how she was called ‘Ugly’. That care worker protected her ever since that incident. Eventually, the care worker’s life ended when she was only 9 years old. As you see she hasn’t had a very lucky life. She has had many people die in her life and she can still cope with all the bullying because she knows that bullying isn’t the worst thing that can happen to her.

 

As she went in the classroom everybody was whispering about the new transfer student that came from America. As the teacher (their teacher was a female) went in, everyone looked at teacher excited to find out who it was. “There will be a new transfer student coming” everybody already knew.

 

His blondish brownish hair shone as he came in the class. All the girls started to scream. “Anneyonghaseyo…” The girls screamed louder and all the guys were already getting annoyed of his presence. “My name is Lee Byunghun” he said in English. He struggled to speak Korean so he decided to speak English as instead.

 

“Byunghun!” Taemin shouted while standing up.

 

“Taemin!” Byunghun ran to Taemin to give him a man hug.

 

“How has it been?” Taemin asked in English

 

“I’m fine, how’s Myungsoo?” Byunghun queried. Taemin pointed at Myungsoo.

 

“Myungsoo!”  Byunghun held out his hands waiting for a hug. But Myungsoo just stayed where he was and didn’t move at all and kept his head down, trying to ignore him. Byunghun, embarrassed of not getting a hug, dropped his hands in disappointment. All 3 of them were best’s friends in Elemetary until Byunhun moved to America. After that they went in different directions. But, Taemin and Byunghun kept in touch once in a while and Byunghun usually teaches Taemin some English.

 

“Okay, Okay settle down” the teacher demanded. “Byunghun sit next to…” she looked around for a spare seat but there was only one, next to ~~~.  “Sit next to Ug-”she was about to say ‘Ugly’ but she thought it was inappropriate “~~~” she continued. Even the teachers are now used to calling her ‘Ugly’

 

“Yes Miss!” he sat down next to ~~~.  “Hey” he said in a friendly way but she didn’t say anything so he shouted louder “Hello?” in case she didn’t hear. Then everyone glared at him, as if he was doing something wrong. Confused and muddled, he saw the class looking at him.

 

“Byunghun, please be quiet” the teacher continued writing on the board. Then after that, Byunghun kept wondering why they gave him a weird look. He was constantly looking at her checking what was different about her but she didn’t seem that different. She looked concentrated and determined to learn.

 

Then he slowly closed his eyes and fell asleep in the middle of class. Considering that he’s new, he hasn’t been paying attention in class much. ~~~ took a quick glimpse of Byunghun, who sleeping. She thought 'What is he doing? First day of school and he’s sleeping'

 

“Byunghun! What is .......” The teacher tried to check if he was paying attention. ~~~ looked at the question and didn’t know the answer. If she can’t do it, she didn’t think that a guy who slept through the explanation would be able to answer that question. Lifting his head, he answered the question correctly. The teacher looked at the answer and said “That’s right” not knowing he was impeccably smart.

 

The bell rang, Byunghun ran Taemin to ask him who that girl was, Taemin told him her story.  After hearing her story Byunghun asked a whole lot of questions. “I feel a bit sorry for her” Taemin said.

 

“Why is she treated like this?”

 

“I don’t exactly know but if I could do something then I would but…” Taemin couldn’t say anything.

 

“Taemin I can’t believe you” shaking his head   

 

At that point, people started to crowd her again. Byunghun and Taemin looked at that direction. There were a crowd of people circling around her. She stood in the middle and everyone kept their distance.

 

“What’s going on?” Byunghun asked the girls, who were passing through the crowd.

 

“It’s ~~~” one of the girls answered.  Byunghun gave Taemin a smile that was so recognisable.

 

“This is your chance Taemin, if you really feel sorry” He grabbed Taemin’s arm. They pushed through the crowd and stood in the front line of the circle so they could witness it properly.    

 

“Hey Ugly” a girl shouted. It was like deja vu for her but it was horrible for Byunghun because he has never seen this type of bullying before.

 

“Hey! What the hell is wrong with you?” Byunghun couldn’t help shout. Everyone stared at him because that was the first time someone stood up for her. He was cute, but even he can’t fight the crowd by himself…