Chapter 6

Into a New World?

 

Chunji stayed silent for the rest of the lesson while a curious Jessica was wide-eyed and asking Chunji a million questions about school.

 

“Chunji, why do we have to stay back after class? What did I do wrong?” She asked him innocently.

 

“Students aren’t exactly allowed to use phones in class and you basically told the whole class that I was ting.” Chunji grunted.

 

“Oh, I see…but, weren’t you ting someone? What else could you be doing?”

 

“I was not ting anyone. I was just telling my driver what time to pick me up and, where did you even learn the word ting?”

 

“Chanyeol told me about it!” Jessica said happily.

 

“Oh, god. He did it again!” Chunji sighed and sank down in his seat.

 

“You’re not mad at me are you?”

 

“No,” he scoffed.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, I’m not mad at you.”

 

“I’m just making sure because you seem very, very enraged about this whole situation. I mean, what’s so bad about staying back? I don’t see any ha-“

 

“IT’S GOING TO RUIN MY PERFECT CLASS RECORDS, OKAY?” Chunji shouted at Jessica.

 

“What records are you talking about?”

 

“Lee Chanhee and Jessica, if you would want to remain in this class, I suggest you tone down the volume a bit. Some of the students here are actually trying to study.” The teacher said firmly.

 

Chunji shut his mouth and mumbled an apology to the teacher. He also managed to glare at some of the people who were snickering about him.

 

He laid his head on the desk and tried to ignore Jessica until the lesson was over. He was starting to regret asking the principal to put him and Jessica in all of the same classes together.

 

“Chunji, why aren’t you talking to me? I want to know what kind of records you’re talking about!” Jessica whispered. Chunji sighed inwardly and ignored her. He didn’t want to get into any more trouble.

 

“Chunji, talk to me!” she said over and over again until the loud school bell rang. “EEEEEEKK!” Jessica screamed.

 

“What are you doing? What are you screaming at?” Chunji hissed.

 

“What…what was that…sound?” Jessica whimpered, tears started forming in her pretty brown eyes, “I’m sc-scared.”

 

Chunji rolled his eyes and tried not to look annoyed, “That’s just the school bell, Jessica. It basically tells you that class is over and you need to get to your next class.”

 

“Oh, silly me…Let’s go then!”

 

The two of them walked to the front of the classroom and before they could make it to the door, they were stopped by the teacher. “Well, well, well, what do we have here?” she asked.

 

“Um…we’re trying to get to our next class?” Chunji turned around and grabbed Jessica’s arm to lead her out of there.

 

“Not so fast, the both of you. You two were causing disturbances to my class just now. And you, Chanhee, know how much I dislike a noisy and undisciplined class,”

 

“It wasn’t even our fault that the students were being s!” Chunji exclaimed.

 

“Let me finish. And, mind your language. I was initially going to give you just one day of detention but because of your use of vulgar words, you have earned yourself a full week of detention. And you, Jessica, you may be new here but I’m pretty sure you’ve been told that ting is not a very nice word so, you get two weeks of detention, too.”

 

“Two weeks? Why?”

 

“Zip your mouth or I’ll make that three.”

 

“Fine, can we please go now?”

 

“Of course you can, have a nice day! I’ll see you after school!” the teacher happily said.

 

Chunji dragged Jessica out of the classroom and into the next one. On the way, she couldn’t stop asking him what detention was and how fun it would be because they’re both in it together.

 

No, detention is NOT fun. Not at all.

 

They headed to their next class, which was English literature. Chunji scrambled as quickly as he could to his assigned seat, leaving Jessica to speak to the teacher.

 

“Hello, sir. I am a new student here and where can I sit?” Jessica asked.

 

“Ah, hello there! I was expecting you. You can sit over there, next to Lee Chanhee, if you know who he is.”

 

“Yes, I know Chunji.”

 

“Well, that’s good then! That can be your seat because the student that sits there before has transferred to a different school.”

 

“Alright, thank you!” Jessica hopped over next to Chunji and took a seat.

 

“What are you doing here? That seat is already taken by another student…” Chunji raised his brow.

 

“Oh, the teacher said that I could sit here, permanently because the student before has already transferred to another school. Something like that…” Jessica explained.

 

“Oh, okay then.”

 

“Isn’t this going to be so fun? I love literature! I read Shakespeare all the time! Well, mainly because they only have his plays and poems in the local library but, his pieces are so good! I love A Midsummer’s Night Dream! What’s your favourite play by him, Chunji?” she mused.

 

“Erm…unlike you, I actually don’t really like literature...”

 

Jessica gasped. Yes, like an actual gasp, not a sarcastic one. “You don’t like literature? How could you not like it?”

 

“Well, first of all, it’s boring as hell and second, I don’t really understand what they’re trying to say. It’s too…deep for me.” Chunji said.

 

“What do you mean, too deep? Literature is a fine art. Little pieces of knowledge that can and will guide you through life, literature is like the epitome of…fun!”

 

“Literature is not fun!” Chunji exclaimed, a little too loudly.

 

“Lee Chanhee! Watch what you’re saying! This is literature class and I expect you to respect this subject. Detention after school.” The teacher said.

 

“Oh, I want detention, too! I want to be with Chunji! It seems fun!” Jessica raised her hand and said.

 

“Why on earth would you want detention?” the guy sitting in front of Jessica said. He turned around and once he saw Jessica, his jaw dropped, “Oh, hey, my name’s Kris.” He held out a hand for Jessica to shake but he got smacked with a roll of paper by the teacher.

 

“No flirting in class. You sir, have earned yourself detention with Lee Chanhee.” The teacher said.