and The Story goes...

The Last Gift

“Yoona!”

A familiar voice called me—a voice that belongs to my only family.

I turned around and saw her, smiling happily with her bags in a hand and another hand waving at me happily.

And she is Tiffany, my unnie. My only family left in this harsh world.

In case if you're wondering, my parents are dead 14 years ago (when I was 12 and Tiffany-unnie was 14), and they only had us as their children. They didn’t pass away because of illness or accident. They were killed by some hired assassins.

And in case if you're wondering, my parents were intelligence agent—and my dad used to be hired assassin too. There were some people who wanted to have revenge on my parents, so, they killed them.

Sometimes, I assumed that assassins and intelligence agent have such short tempered mental, although they must be a cold hearted and cold headed when they work. You can’t accuse me for saying wrong, because I know that fact better than anyone.

Why?

That’s because I'm an intelligence agent slash hired assassin myself.

Yeah. I’m Im Yoona, 26 years old, an intelligence agent, and currently keeping my job as a secret from my unnie. If she knew about my job, she will definitely go nuts and will end up in mental rehabilitation. Since we were kids, I always became the tough one and she was the delicate one. I was healthy, she was very weak. I—the dongsaeng—always got more responsibility from our parents and our social circle rather than her—the unnie. It’s not like I'm complaining, but sometimes, I can't help but to underestimate my sister’s capability to accept the truth about everything that happened around her.

She didn’t even know the truth about our parents’ death cause. She just knew that they passed away in a car accident, not a planned assassination.

“What happened, unnie?” I stopped and waited for her. She approached me in her fast steps, and by the first glance, everybody will know that she is really different from me. She has small figure—a figure that will make those men want to hold her in their embraces, her brown eyes showed happiness, and her long brown hair flowed down beautifully—just like the ones in the shampoo ads. And me, I have a tall yet strong figure—a result of hell-like training before joining the intelligence, my eyes sparked tiredness, and my hair! It wasn’t long like Tiffany-unnie, I cut it just right around my collarbone.

She is the real princess, and I'm another princess who disguised herself as the prince.

“Are you sure that you can't attend my wedding with Seunghyun? Seunghyun is your best friend, isn't he?” she asked. I just smiled softly and touched her shoulder.

“I’m sure, unnie. I have a job that I can't leave that day. I'm really really sorry.”

I freaking lied to her. I didn’t have any mission at the wedding day of my unnie, Tiffany, or soon to change to Choi Tiffany, whom is soon to be a legally and rightfully wife of Choi Seunghyun—my best friend since we were young.

“Aigoo… Whyyyy? I really want you to see me wearing the wedding dress and seeing me with Seunghyun together in the aisle. Aisht! Can you ditch your job? Is being a successful banker more important than your only sister’s wedding?”

“I’m sorry, unnie.”

“I'm not accepting no as an answer! You should be my bridesmaid, but… aisht! I prefer you than Taeyeon, you know?”

“Unnie…”

“Say yes!” She insisted. This is the most admirable aspect in my unnie’s personality—beside kind hearted, patient, careful, and discipline—she’s a very determined person. If she doesn’t get what she wants, she will try so hard to get it. No matter how long and how tiring it is.

“Okay, I’ll try…” I surrender. Debating with Tiffany-unnie would end up in me giving in though.

Tifanny-unnie smiled widely at my white little lie. “You have promised me! You must come!”

I nodded. “Hm. I will.”

Then, Tiffany-unnie began to walk away and left me with my mixed up feelings to deal with.

xxx

Today was Tiffany-unnie’s wedding day.

And I felt like .

“Yoong? Where are you?” Tiffany-unnie asked me through phone call. “You should have come by 2 hours ago.”

“Unnie… I'm sorry.” I said with an apologetic tone. “I couldn’t make it.”

“Yoong… you promised me!” She whined like a little child, but she must know by now that she wouldn’t get what she wants this time. I would win this secret little game called hide-and-seek-in-the-wedding-day. “Seunghyun also wants to see you! He said he hasn’t met you since forever!”

I laughed dryly. “I’ll see you guys at the home after your honeymoon, okay?”

I knew Tiffany-unnie were pouting and letting out a sigh. “Okay. I’ll meet you at home, be good okay?”

“I'm not 5 anymore, unnie.”

“I know. Bye.”

And she hung up.

Actually, I was in my car—which parked right in front of the wedding reception hall—waiting for my courage to come in. I wore dark red-dress that accentuated my curves and my long legs. I also wore my favorite pair of Charlotte Olympia heels. I wore minimum make up and my hair was tied up in a small bun at the bottom part of my head and braids that formed at the side of my head. I was actually ready to go in physically, but not mentally.

Why? Is that because I wasn’t ready to let Tiffany-unnie go to Seunghyun, or… I wasn’t ready to let Seunghyun go to Tiffany-unnie?

Yeah. I love Seunghyun since forever—since we were both really young, when we were in our elementary school. I and Seunghyun went to the same elementary school, while Tiffany-unnie had to have her education at home through home schooling.

But, the Goddess of Fortune never allowed my love to be spoken.

Because when Seunghyun met Tiffany when we were in High School—yeah, I just made them meeting each other after years of knowing Seunghyun—they fell in love at the blink of an eye. Seunghyun loves Tiffany-unnie so deeply, and Tiffany-unnie does too.

I would do everything to prevent Seunghyun to falling in love with another girl, but I couldn’t if that girl was Tiffany-unnie.

She was so fragile, so delicate, and her feelings are too soft and sweet as a cotton candy for her own good. I didn’t have a heart to tell her that I’ve loved Seunghyun since elementary school. I’ve loved him longer than her. I’ve loved him despite having boyfriends at my Junior High and High School.

You can call me an over protective sister, because I do. I just can't let my unnie get hurts.

Even if it will hurts myself badly.

xxx

After a half hour of collecting my courage to step into the reception hall, I finally stepped out from my car.

Letting out a deep and long sigh, I didn’t walk to the entrance. I made my way to the garden—that located next to the hall, and sat on the provided bench, complete with its table.

I looked at the hall through the big window glass, and I could see happiness radiating from people whom celebrating Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun’s wedding. They were so happy for them, and as a sister of the bride, I should too.

But I just can't. It was ing hurts to pretend to be happy when deep insides, your heart was bleeding to death.

Tears began to roll down on my cheeks silently, and I didn’t bother to wipe it at all. It just kept falling and falling—wetting a little part of my dress, and the more I saw those happy people inside, my heart was hurt even more. I’m such a bad sister, who couldn’t be happy for her unnie’s happiness.

Suddenly, I felt something has gone wrong, or something WILL go wrong. I didn’t know. It was my agent’s intuition, and I immediately put my guard up. I checked the gun I slipped between my garter, and sighed in relief when I felt it was there.

And I was right.

“Yoong! Yoong! Where are you?” I heard Tiffany-unnie calling my name and looking around for me. I hide quickly (and silently, thanks to my superior swiftness) behind the bushes and peeked through the gap between the bushes. “Yoong! Answer me!”

That time, I had an internal battle in my heart. At one side, I wanted to show up and bravely congratulate Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun for their marriage. But at the other side, I knew I would break my guard down at that moment.

“Tiffany, she isn't here.” I heard a deep, masculine voice that I’ve heard since I was young. “Just go inside and greet the guests. I’m sure she will show up, somehow…”

“But Seunghyun…” At the mention of his name, my body stiffened. “Jiyong said that he saw Yoona’s car parked in front of the hall! She must be here!”

“I’ll look for her.” Seunghyun told her. “Just go inside and warm yourself. I don’t want you and the baby feel cold.”

BABY?

Tiffany-unnie is…pregnant? I haven’t heard about it!

“Okay,” the sounds of clicking heels were heard. “Find her for me and the baby, okay? I'm sure the baby wants to see auntie Yoona.”

“I will.”

And the sound of closed door was heard.

“Yoona? I know you're here.” Seunghyun calmly said when the door was closed. He walked closer to my hiding place like he knew I was there since the beginning. “Show yourself, buddy. I don’t know that I have such a friend who isn't going to congratulate her friend who is finally settled down with her sister.”

From my hiding place, I could see Seunghyun getting nearer and nearer. I closed my eyes and cover my face with my hands—scared that if I saw him, I’ll break down.

“Im Yoona.” Suddenly, I felt my shoulder being grasped gently from behind. I didn’t uncover my face. “Show me your face and tell me what is wrong with you.”

I didn’t follow his request, but I knew, Seunghyun also a determined person like Tiffany-unnie. “Im Yoona. You can tell me what happened. Maybe I can help. Just… show me your face and tell me if you're okay or not. If you don’t want to tell me what’s wrong, that’s okay. I won't force you to tell anything if you're not ready.”

Don’t be like this, Seunghyun, please. Don’t be the caring, kind hearted, handsome, and understanding man that I love. Be that ert, tear jerker, foolish, and playboy man I hate. Don’t make it harder for me to forget you, Seunghyun.

“Please, Yoong?”

I uncovered my face and turned back to him. Seeing him squatting down to met my eye level and his worried smile, I put on the best assuring smile I could put on—and the best acting I could show. Come on! I wouldn’t be an intelligence agent if I’m not good in acting. “I’m okay. Just a little bit cold.”

“Then come in,” he suggested. “There are a lot of foods and so many people inside. You haven’t met Youngbae, right? He has back from US for good.”

I smiled—more reassuring this time, and pushed his shoulder gently. “I will. I'm just going to find my lost earring when I was having my cigarette break. Then, I’ll go inside.”

“You smoke?”

“Haven’t heard it yet, Seunghyun?” Lie more Yoona! Lie more! Make him hate you!

He shook his head, but I could see he was flabbergasted. “I… just don’t expect it.”

“Just go inside, Tiffany-unnie will go nuts if she knows her husband is out for too long.” I swung my hand as a gesture to shoo him. “I’ll go inside after I find my earring.”

Seunghyun nodded and walked away. When I let out a relieved sigh, he turned around once more. “Hey Yoong.”

“Yeah?”

“Smoking really ed up your lungs. Treasure yourself because those around you will be sad if you don’t.”

Then, he walked away.

Leaving me alone—who became more miserable than I was before.

xxx

After Seunghyun left, I sat on the bench again and thinking about how I ed up in  this situation.

That moment I spent in pure and silence, before chaos was heard from the hall.

So many guests came out from the hall and ran as fast as they could to the entrance. Screams, yells, cries were heard loudly. And smell of burnt was suddenly wafted.

Something terrible has happened.

I ran as fast as I could with my high heels to the wedding hall, splitting the human sea that came towards my direction. I just hope that Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun were alright. I hope for my friends’ safety too, but Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun’s safety became my priority. They have to be alright, and if they weren’t, I didn’t know what to do with my life anymore.

When I stepped into the wedding reception hall, the elegance of the room has vanished into the thick smoke. The hall was a mess—there was a burning fire at the side of the room, and somehow, sounds of shooting gun could be heard vaguely.

If 15 minutes ago the hall was neat, nicely decorated, and filled with sounds of laughter, music, and happiness, now, the situation has reversed 180 degrees. The hall filled with fire, smokes, and in the corner of the rooms, there were scary looking men with captives in their possession. Those men were carrying guns, and I didn’t know who they were.

I quickly reached my emergency phone—which always I carried around next to my gun—and sent emergency signal to the intelligence. Whoever behind this act had surely woken the inner beast inside of me.

“IM YOONA! DON’T YOU DARE TO HIDE!” A woman’s voice yelled loudly. I tried to find who and where she was while hiding, but I knew, she wouldn’t stop until I showed myself. I realized it really well.

“I’M HERE! STOP YOUR ATTACK! WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?” I yelled back and that voice clucked loudly, as she was insulting me.

“I WANT YOU TO FEEL WHAT I FELT, IM YOONA!” she yelled again. I didn’t know who she was and what I did to her, and now, she just randomly destroys someone’s wedding? She brought men to captivate innocent guests?

“WHAT DID I DO TO YOU?”

And that voice laughed loudly—with the tone of mocking. “I WANT YOU TO GET…” that woman paused dramatically, and that time, I just didn’t know where she was. Even though I replied her words, my eyes roamed frantically—looking for any sign of Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun.

The sound of drawn trigger was heard, and I knew she wanted death. My death. And I was ready to face it.

I didn’t know who she was or why she wanted my death, but I just surrender. I didn’t know from which direction the bullet would come, so I just closed my eyes and stood silently in my position. And that time—at that really fast time, I was grateful that she wanted to kill me. Maybe when I’m dead the burden in my heart would lifted, and Tiffany-unnie and Seunghyun can live happily with their child. There would be no more difficult and dangerous missions from intelligence, and I could finally meet with Umma and Appa.

Being an intelligence agent made me really sensitive with gun and its speed. It was too freaking long, why I didn’t feel the shot at all?

Before I could think anymore, the sound of fallen person was heard so loudly. And when I opened my eyes, it was Tiffany-unnie, wearing her white dress beautifully and stood up for protecting me.

“UNNIE!”

I fell to the ground, embracing the fallen Tiffany-unnie with her pale face and weak smile.

DAMN! That shooter shot right through ! There would be no ing way to save her! She would be dead!!!

Seunghyun ran to us so fast, and he squatted across me. Together, we embraced Tiffany-unnie together.

“You came…” Tiffany-unnie whispered. Tears began to form in my eyes, but I tried my best to hold it back.

“Don’t talk unnie, please. It will hurt more…”

“I’m happy you come. I really do.”

I couldn’t hold the tears anymore. I cried in front of the dying-Tiffany and the worried-Seunghyun.

I was wrong when I assumed that woman wanted my death.

She wanted Tiffany-unnie’s. Because she knew, Tiffany-unnie would throw her body to protect me.

“Seunghyun… I love you…” Tiffany-unnie whispered softer. Her face was getting paler, and blood soaked from her chest—stained her beautiful wedding dress. “I guess we can’t see the baby come out, can we?”

“Stop… please just stopped talking. I'm begging you, Fany. Please…” Seunghyun’s face was full with tears as he Tiffany-unnie’s forehead and hair repeatedly.

“Live… happily… after… I left…” Tiffany-unnie said slowly as she tried so hard to breath. “Stay together… That way… I’ll be happy… up… there…” She spread a smile to both of us. We cried even harder than before.

“Unnie, stop. PLEASE UNNIE STOP!”

But my plea couldn’t be heard by Tiffany-unnie because she suddenly stopped breathing. Her face was so pale, but she spread a small smile like she just sleeping, not dead.

I released Tiffany-unnie from my embrace and stood up quickly. Pulling a gun from my garter, I began frantically searched for that shooter. Whoever she was, she would definitely get the taste of my wrath.

“NOW YOU KNOW WHAT I FEEL, IM YOONA! THE FEEL OF BEING ALONE IN THIS WORLD!”

“WHERE ARE YOU, BASTARD?! SHOW ME YOURSELF! DON’T ING HIDE LIKE A RETARD!” I screamed in agony and anger. My red eyes roamed frantically around the room, and when I saw Seunghyun’s shocked face, I knew he would go away from my life.

“This is the real me, Seunghyun. Im Yoona—the intelligence agent and the hired assassin. Not the banker Im Yoona you know well.” I said sadly with a really sad and apologetically smile. Before he could reply, I dashed and trying my best to find that ing shooter—who killed my only family in this whole world.

I ran so fast, break through the blazing fire and the building’s ruins. I was so angry. My eyes were covered in grudge. I couldn’t think clearly. I shot anything in my sight—whether it was man or things—I killed and destroyed everything. I ran and attacked as I cried harder.

After a round of running the hall, a sound of laughter was heard once more. I followed that voice instinctively, and it led me to the second floor balcony of the hall. I saw her lean back and her blonde hair that flowed as the wind breezed.  The riffle she used before placed on the floor.

I growled angrily as I pointed my gun to her, and she laughed mockingly harder.

“Now you know how I felt, Im Yoona.” She turned around, revealing her face and her annoying smirk.

“HYUNA?”

“Yes, this is me, friend.”

Kim Hyuna, a dear friend of mine when I was younger. His father was also my father’s friend at the intelligence. “WHY?”

“YOUR FATHER KILLED MY FATHER, YOU IDIOT!”

I gasped in surprise but didn’t lower down my guard at all. She smirked so annoyingly.

“Yeah, because of that silly fight for chair as a chairman of intelligence, he had to kill him! Do you know what his reason to kill my father, huh?” She stopped talking so dramatically. Tears rolled down from my eyes at the topic of my father death. “Kim can't be the chairman. The chairman position is for me and my generation—Yoona and Tiffany. We—the Ims—are superior and Kims are the inferior.

“YOU ING LIED!” I shot her leg, and she kept talking. “I'm not lying! YOU THE IMS, ARE THE ROTTEN GENERATION OF INTELLIGENCE!”

“SHUT UP!” And I shot her head.

Hyuna crashed to the ground as blood flowed from the shot. I fell to the ground, sobbing miserably at the screwed up situation. The sound of gun shooting and screams were ignored by me. I just cried miserably for what had happened. I cried for the rotten old folks, for the unworthy revenge, and for the lost of my only family left, Tiffany.

“Yoona…” I heard Seunghyun’s voice from behind. I looked up to him and forced a smile—with a face full of tears. He opened his mouth, like he wanted to say something, but I quickly put my finger in front of my pouting lips. “Ssssh… Don’t say anything, Seunghyun.”

He wanted to protest, but I walked up to him really fast and put my finger on his lips. “Forget what had happened tonight. Forget that you know me. Just think that Tiffany is the only child, she doesn’t have a sister or a brother.” I spoke slowly.

“I like you… Oh. Wrong sentence. I love you. So much. Since we were in school, before you knew unnie, before everything turned out like this, I love you since then.”

“Yoong…”

“Don’t say anything.” And for the first and the last time, I crashed my lips to him. Not a passionate and heated kiss, but a sweet, gentle and a kiss that poured my emotion for over than 15 years. “I love you.” I said as we broke apart. We stared into each other eyes with mixed up emotions, but I couldn’t stay there for too long. The intelligence surely would come at this place in mere minutes, and I didn’t want to confuse Seunghyun even more with my intelligence side of mine.

I quickly stepped back and walked away—left the confused Seunghyun alone.

That day I vowed, that I wouldn’t meet Seunghyun again… forever.

xxx

8 years later.

Seunghyun spread a bigger smile. “You have to know that we always love you. Your sacrifices, your love, and our memories, are will be forever remembered in our hearts.”

I also spread a smile. I have to agree with what Seunghyun—my husband for 2 years, had said.

What happened with the vow I made at Seunghyun and Tiffany-unnie’s wedding day?

Being the determined and stubborn man as he is, he came to my office after that accident and asked for my new address (I moved out from my place because that place reminded me of Tiffany-unnie so much).  The intelligence… of course protected my confidential information. But he was so stubborn, and started to ask everyone for my address and cell phone number every day (I told you, he came every single ing day)—since I changed my cell phone number also, he had no clue how to contact me.

Bless God for his stubbornness, my co-worker named Changmin was really irritated with his determination. After 3 months of trying, Changmin finally gave him my address. That day too, he barged into my apartment and found me lay on the bed helplessly.

I was so thin and didn’t take care of myself. My apartment was in mess. My world had vanished when Tiffany-unnie left me. I was alone in this world.

That day too, Seunghyun begged me to stay strong. He didn’t want to lose someone precious in his life other than Tiffany-unnie. He said that day, “This isn't Yoona I knew. This isn't the Yoona I loved. This isn't the Yoona who can brighten anyone day with her smile and laugh. This isn't you.”

“THIS ISN'T ME! I'M DEAD WHEN UNNIE LEFT ME!” I replied back to him with tears streamed down my cheeks. He pulled me into a hug, a really tight hug. “Don’t be dead, don’t be someone else. You're Im Yoona, the strong intelligence agent and hired assassin. You showed me your strength and power, and it was ing amazing. With that power, I know you can go through this.”

I cried in his tight hug—surprised that he didn’t angry at me for killing his deceased wife, and  even more surprised that I still had tears to be cried out. I thought my tears were drained already. “I’ll be there for you, and you have to stay strong for me. We can go through this together. I know we can. We have to lean on each other’s back and…” he stopped talking and took a deep breath. “Don’t make me lose you, Yoona-ah. Be the Yoona I love, the Yoona I know. I had lost Tiffany, I don’t know what will happen if I lose you too, Yoona-ah…”

After saying that, we really cried our hearts out together.

Since then, we were filling each other’s empty space—by living together and support each other at every aspect, and naturally being more attached as years passed. At those years, we both knew each others’ feeling—we love each other deeply, maybe even deeper than how Seunghyun loved Tiffany-unnie—but no one dared to confess.

Not until 3 years ago, Seunghyun kneeled in one knee and asked me for marriage. And I had nothing to say beside a loud ‘yes’.

“I love you, unnie. I really do. Even though you're not physically here, you gave me a man to love me to the unlimited extent, a man to be loved as much as he loves me. Thank you for giving me that chance.”

The wind breezed slowly, and I smiled sadly as Seunghyun grasped my shoulder tighter and kissed my temple softly with a soft smile on his lips.

“I’ll live happily to the fullest without any regret, unnie. You gave me the best and the last give before you passed away, Seunghyun—the reason for me to live after you were gone.”


Did I say the day before yesterday? Did I say yesterday? I mean... today.

This is a work I wrote when I was a senior in junior high, and as I translated this into english, I began to think... "Was I this cheesy and angsty back then?"

But that isn't important. I really hope you guys love this story, and give me your feedback for this! If you let me know what you think about the story, who knows? Maybe I can post a new one-shot in the near future?

Since I'm in my holiday already, expect more updates are coming! :D

Comment and subscribeee~~~

-majorandroid