Case Closed

Not So Much of a Fairy Tale

Café Mozart. Located near the Seoul Arts Center, it is one of the finest cafes in Seoul. Besides having a tasteful menu, it also provides a charming view of nature with the colorful foliage of trees. That is why it is flocked not only by art enthusiasts but ordinary people as well who wanted to unwind once in a while. One of its regular costumers is Yesung but this time, he did not come alone. He tagged Yuri along with him. Since that incident, they had patched up things already. He had many opportunities for him to confess but everytime he would try, this statement would suddenly pop in his mind.

 

 “I think we are better off as friends.”

 

That statement came from a dream that had haunted Yesung for two days straight already. This was the only thing that prevented him from confessing to Yuri. You could call him coward but if you were in his position, what would you do? This confession was a matter of life and death and he could not bear to ruin the relationship that was just newly restored.

 

Not so far from their table was private investigator Leeteuk. Sipping his café Americano, he was studying the clues that he had gathered so far regarding Madame Cho’s case. In front of him was a small palm-sized notebook in which these notes were written.

 

Seohyun is not an art student. 

 

He checked the university where Seohyun was studying and he had confirmed that she was actually a music student.

 

Kyuhyun seems to be treating him like a servant.

 

He followed them to the Seoul Plaza and he saw that Seohyun was the only one carrying Kyuhyun’s things.

 

Looking at these, he could conclude that something was indeed suspicious. If only Kyuhyun did not see him following them, this case should have been closed already. That was the first time that he failed in trailing his subject. He put down his coffee and pulled a pen from his pocket. He had to devise a plan to find the missing piece of the puzzle. Then suddenly, he spotted Yuri and Yesung chatting at a table nearby.

 

“Look at what we’ve got here. What a nice coincidence,” he said to himself.

 

“Hey,” Leeteuk called the waiter that passed by his table. “Can I ask to whom are you going to bring those?” Leeteuk asked pointing at the two coffees on the tray.

 

“To the table there sir,” the waiter answered nodding to the direction of Yuri and Yesung.

 

“Can I ask a favor?” He asked, a plan forming in his mind.

--------------------

 

“Sungie,” Yuri waved her hand in front of Yesung when she noticed that he was staring blankly at her. “Are you still listening? You are spacing out.”

 

“Huh?” Yesung perked up and before he could make an excuse, the waiter arrived with their orders.  

 

“Excuse me, here are your order,” the waiter said as he put the two coffees on the table and the tissues for them to use. “In case you need anything, just call me. Have a nice day.” He bowed and then walked away.

 

“Where are we again?” Yesung asked stirring his coffee.

 

“Seohyun and Kyuhyun… I think it is better if they cancel the contract. You know, the problematic girlfriend plan.”

 

Yesung almost choked on his coffee. “What?! My cousin will kill me if I tell him that. I love that idea too; however we should not be minding their business.”

 

“But they are really a match. If only your grandma will know the real Seohyun, she will surely like her. I have read the guidelines that Kyu gave to her and I tell you, Seohyun has all the characteristics that your grandmother likes.” Yuri also started drinking her iced coffee. Yesung stared at her wondering why she was worrying about the love life of those two. Why doesn’t she think about the two of them instead?

 

“What do you want us to do? Let’s play fairy godfather and fairy godmother for those two?” Yesung asked.

 

“Why not?” Yuri said with a bright expression. She was totally up for this and Yesung regretted that he mentioned that.

 

“NO.” Yesung answered firmly. It was just like the old days when both of them were planning crazy adventures and pranks. The only difference was this time he was not the mastermind and he was the reluctant one that would be dragged in her plot.

 

“How about this? Let’s play on the arcade, the one nearest here. If I win, you will have to agree to my plan. If I lose, let’s drop it,” Yuri suggested. She knew how much he hates games because he always lose and she also knew that he could not say no to her especially in a challenge or else she would as coward.   

 

“Let’s go then. But I have to tell you that people change and I will win.” Yesung said not quite sure if he was giving Yuri a warning or was only trying to reassure himself.

 

Both of them finished their drinks and set off to the arcade. When the two had deserted the place, Leeteuk approached their empty table and picked a microchip gadget that was hidden in between the tissue. He asked the waiter to slip it inside. This microchip would be able to record the conversation that Yuri and Yesung had. He inserted it to another gadget and listened to their whole conversation.

 

“Bingo!” Leeteuk said after listening to it. “I think I already find the missing piece.”

----------------------

 

Madame Cho was at her office sitting by the telephone waiting for an important phone call, a phone call that would determine her next step.

 

Rrrriiiing!

 

“Yeoboseyo!” Madame Cho answered the phone. “Is that so?” she said after minutes of listening to Leeteuk’s report. “Well done, Mr. Park. Let’s meet at the mansion.” After that, she hung up the phone.

 

“Victoria,” she called her secretary who was on the other side of the room. Victoria set aside the papers she’s currently organizing and approached Madame Cho.

 

 “Please call the driver. Tell him to bring me to the arcade nearest to Café Mozart.” Madame Cho had finalized her plan. She will make Kyuhyun fall for his own trap.

-------------------

 

Yesung’s nervousness was mounting higher and higher as he watched Yuri play. Yuri was so engrossed at shooting the zombies on the screen that she rarely missed a shot.

 

HIGH SCORE!!!

 

The screen displayed those big words on the screen and Yuri jumped up and down with happiness. “Do you think you can go past that? I don’t think so.” Yuri stuck her tongue out.

 

“Nice job. Give me a high-five then.” He held his hand out. Yuri thought twice if she would give Yesung a high-five or not. But soon, she gave in but Yesung as usual, feigned again. She fell for his tricks again.

 

“You never learn, don’t you?”  He smiled and was laughing inside to see the annoyed expression of Yesung. He took the gun and geared himself up for the game when unexpectedly…

 

“You don’t have to play the game, my grandson.”

 

Yesung and Yuri turned around to see the intruder. “Grandma, why are you here?” Yesung and Yesung were both surprised to see the old woman there.

 

“I am going to talk to the two of you.”