The Piano Room

Not So Much of a Fairy Tale

 

Kyuhyun was having his morning stroll when suddenly he felt his phone vibrating inside his pocket. He answered it without looking who was the caller. He thought that perhaps it was only his hyung bugging him again with his early nagging asking him if he had eaten his breakfast or if he had finished his exercise or if he had already clean his room or asking him what he’s doing at that moment… along those lines. But he was wrong.

 

“Kyuhyun-shi, how is your morning?”

 

What has gotten to my grandmother’s mind that she decided to call him? Now that Yesung-hyung was in Seoul, He really thought that she would use her as a messenger. So what’s with this personal call? Just to ask him if he had a nice morning? To tell the truth, his morning was nice until she called. Getting a phone call from her was like getting called to the guidance counselor’s office. It would be a whole session of listening to her reprimands.

 

“Still good,” he answered plainly. “How are you and Seohyun?” she asked.

 

So this was it. This was where she would tell him to stay away from her. For the first time, he actually wanted to listen to her reprimands. However, here came the unexpected, the sudden twist.

 

“I hope you two are getting along well. You know that I have my own criteria for choosing a granddaughter-in-law but generations have changed and I have to accept that. That is why I am disregarding all of those things. As long as you are happy, I am happy also.”

 

Kyuhyun’s reaction? He just stood there frozen at those words. Seconds later, he almost wanted to shout at the other line saying “What?! That’s not what you are supposed to be telling me! Come on, think it over. Scold me now!” Luckily, he managed to stop himself or else he would blow everything up. What happened to their act and to the alcohol incident? She would just disregard it and decided instead to accept Seohyun as she was despite of all those?

 

“Are you serious, grandma?” Kyuhyun asked hoping that her grandma was just trying to pull his leg.

 

“Yes, what makes you think I am just fooling you?” she replied. Am I dreaming? He asked himself.

 

“Kyuhyun-shi, are you still there?”

 

“Gr-grandma, bu-but,” He was so flustered now. Kyuhyun urged himself to think of something. He had to and it must be quick. So he told her that…

 

Their relationship is on the rocks now.

 

That they grew apart from each other.

 

That the magic was gone.

 

And that Seohyun was losing interest on him.

 

Because of this, he did not arrange any meetings with Seohyun for a while just in case his grandmother hired someone to follow him again. They must not be seen together. They had to act like a couple who was having a problem in their relationship. But he soon regretted having that excuse. Three days later, he found himself staring at Seohyun’s painting. No matter how many times he looked at it, he never got tired and wanted more. He wanted to see the real person. He felt crazy because he just could not get her out of his head. And what frustrated him the most was knowing that she was just probably in a close proximity to him.

 

Kyuhyun drew aside the curtain and peeked outside. The Cheonggye stream looked like a glimmering necklace under the sunshine. “Is she there?” He imagined her on her pink mascot costume giving out balloons to the visitors and cheering them as if inviting them to come back. Her cuteness must be overflowing now.

 

Aish! Why was he thinking that way? What kind of spell did that girl cast on him? He wished he knew the antidote for it. Yes, she’s pretty and cute but she’s just - who was she to her? He had no idea anymore. All he knew was whenever he’s with her, he felt happy and he felt so free, something that he had not experienced for a long time. He ruffled his hair. Argh! He’s so confused.

 

“It’s time to occupy myself with something else, something that will not remind me of that girl.” Kyuhyun changed his pajamas and wore a checkered polo shirt paired with jeans. He left several buttons of his shirt ed and underneath it was a plain white shirt.

 

He walked down the streets of Seoul wondering where he should go. Right now, there was only one place on his mind. He guessed it was time to visit that place again.

-------------------

 

The Piano Room. It was a small music library where people could borrow music sheets or CDs especially if it’s a classical piece. Although it was secluded, it was still popular for the musically-inclined since some of the rare copies of music sheets could be found here. It was considered a treasure box for classical music lovers and today Seohyun was going to this place to ask Mr. Lee, the kind old man who managed the shop, if he could recommend her another piano piece that she could learn to hone her piano skills.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Lee,” She pushed gently the door of the shop. A gentle tinkling sound could be heard as the door hit the hanging chimes by the doorway. The place was cozy and had a home feel. The walls are painted yellow so that it would reflect the light and brightened the room. Although the exterior looked like the area was small, when you stepped inside you would see that it was actually quite spacious.

 

“Good morning also to you, Ms. Seohyun,” the old man greeted her. He was standing behind the counter that was situated right in front of the door. On the right were the drawers and shelves of music sheets, tapes, and CDs.

 

“Here are the CD and the music sheet that I borrowed from the last time,” she said while putting the parcel on the counter. “What else do you recommend me to play, Mr. Lee?” she asked.

 

“My child, you are already well-versed on playing the piano. You have already played almost all of the pieces here.” He chuckled as he put the parcel on a case together with the other CDs and music sheets that were re that day. He then handed Seohyun the logbook for her to sign.

 

“If that’s so, then I just go to the piano room to practice.” Seohyun said after signing on the logbook. Since she had a limited allowance, she still could not afford to buy a keyboard so often she visited this place to practice. It wasn’t noticeable but actually there was another room at the end of the line of drawers and shelves of music sheets and CDs. Behind that door, one could find a baby grand piano. It was called the Piano Room, thus the name of the place. 

 

“I am sorry, my child. Someone is using it right now,” Mr. Lee said to her. Gradually, the music coming from the piano room filled the place as the person inside the room began pressing the keys.

 

“Is this ‘Snail’?” she asked herself. This is definitely ‘Snail.’ She said as she listened more to the intro. She was sure of it. How could she not recognize her favorite song? She walked closer toward the room to listen closely to the music then she heard someone started singing.

 

jibeh oh neun kileun ddae ron neo moo kil reo
na neun deo ook deo ji chi kot hae

Seohyun was easily captivated. It was like she was listening to an angel singing from the heavens above.

 

“Go inside if you want. I do not think he will mind.” Mr. Lee told Seohyun. She sauntered to the room, the song beckoning her feet to step closer and closer to the room like there’s some kind of enchantment that drew her to it. She gently opened the door. It looked like Mr. Lee put some oil on its hinges for it did not produce a creaking sound.

 

 eon jehn ga meon heut nal reh
cheo neol go geo chil eun
se sang ggeut ba da roh kal keo ra go

 

The rays of the morning sunlight filtered through the window and shone on the man on the piano. Seohyun immediately recognized who he was and she was surprised to see him there of all the places. How can an evil person have such an angelic voice?  Meanwhile, Kyuhyun was so that he did not notice Seohyun’s presence.

 

ah moo doh mot bwat ji man
ki yok sok geot din ga
deul ri neun pa doh soh ri dda ra seo
na neun yong weon hi kal rae

 

Seohyun kept on watching him intently, awed at his hidden talent. Her imagination began to unleash as she look at him. Like a scene from a story, she envisioned herself as a maiden who encountered by chance the enigmatic piano prince in one of the palace’s secret chambers. A smile crept into her lips as she thought about this.

 

nae moh deun keol ba chyeot ji man
ee jehn moh doo poo reun yeon gi cheo reom
san san ee heut teo ji go
nae geh nam ah it neun chak geun himeul ta hae
ma ji magk goom sok geh seo
moh doo it ggeh moh doo it geh hae jool ba da---

 

Kyuhyun finally saw Seohyun there. Startled, he pressed the wrong key.

 

“W-What are you doing here?” he asked standing up. He acted like he had seen a ghost. Why was the world going against his will? He wanted toavoid thinking of her but here she was standing inside the piano room with him.

 

“I thought you wanted to see her madly,” his inner self mocked him. “Now that you see her, what’s with the fuss?”

 

“Shut up!!! “ Kyuhyun blurted out. Seohyun was about to say something at that time but she stopped when Kyuhyun shouted like that.

 

“I am sorry, I am just gonna leave,” Seohyun said and then she headed back to the door.

 

“W-Wait!,” Kyuhyun stood up and walked after Seohyun. He held her arm to stop her. “I am not referring to you. I am referring to-“ Seohyun looked at him weirdly. She wondered who else could he be referring to.  She did not expect him to be able to see lost spirits. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, did not know how to explain to Seohyun that he was just talking to himself and that ‘shut up’ was meant for his inner self.

 

“W-What I mean is you shut up and don’t apologize… because you don’t have to.” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Mr. Lee stepped inside the room.  Kyuhyun let go of her arm and both of them stepped aside for they were blocking the doorway.

 

“Do you have problem with Seohyun here? If that’s so, I am the one to blame. I let her in because I want you to meet the lady that I’ve told you had been taking care of the piano.  You should be thankful of her because if it weren’t for her, your mom’s piano will be worn out of disuse---“

 

“It’s my dad’s not my mom’s,” Kyuhyun corrected him immediately. He did not want to attach the memory of her mother to that piano. That grand piano had been her mom’s but it was given to her as a gift by his dad so for him, the true owner of the piano is his father because he was the one who spent bucks for it.

 

“I’m sorry, son. I always forget that. Anyway, you should hear her play. She’s an amazing pianist.” Mr. Lee motioned Seohyun to go to the piano. Although she was flattered by Mr. Lee’s praise, she was hesitant to play.

“I’m sorry but I have something else to do. I have to leave now.” Kyuhyun feared that if he stayed there for another second, he would fall for her charms again and he would not be able to escape. He needed to stop himself before he fell further.

 

Mr. Lee opened his mouth to stop Kyuhyun from leaving when all of the sudden, the phone on the lobby rang. The old man immediately got out closing the door behind him.

 

“Seo, you can use the piano now if you want. I am gonna leave.” He turned the door knob but it won’t move. He pushed the door but it won’t budge. Kyuhyun did not want to think that Mr. Lee locked them inside the room.  Seohyun turned to him who was still trying to open the door in vain.

 

“The door is not working again. It happened to me before too.” Seohyun said sounding like she got used to it and took it as a normal thing.

 

“Mr. Lee!” Kyuhyun knocked at the door calling Mr. Lee with all his voice. “He won’t hear you. He’s talking with someone on the phone. Don’t worry. It will open soon.” Seohyun said sitting in front of the piano.

 

“You are great back there. I do not know that you can play piano plus you have a great voice.” Seohyun said to him. Since there were no other chairs, Kyuhyun sat on the floor near the corner of the room.  “Should I be flattered?” He said nonchalantly. Here he was putting up his cold façade to hide his true feelings.

 

He’s being cold again. I don’t get him. One day he would be warm to her, then the next day he would be cold. Seohyun ignored him and turned her attention to the piano.

 

“Are you really that great? Let me see if you are worthy to use my dad’s piano.” Kyuhyun challenged her. A smirk was showing on his face. He narrowed his eyes at her which made Seohyun remind of a judge that onc doubted her skills on a competition.

 

“I willingly accept your challenge.” Seohyun smilingly said. She shook her fingers and inhaled deeply to calm herself. When she felt herself at ease, she began to play Yiruma’s Chaconne. Her fingers moved smoothly among the keys and produced a wonderful music. She did not miss a note and Kyuhyun watched her play the piano with all her heart. In some moments she would sway her head to the melody. She looked at Kyuhyun who was undeniably amazed.  He was surprised when Seohyun gave her a smirk saying “Don’t you dare challenge me when it comes to piano.” Seohyun chuckled when he saw Kyuhyun’s reaction.

 

“Do… do you like Yiruma?” Kyuhyun asked Seohyun when she finished playing the piano.

 

“He’s my fave pianist.” She nodded. “Me too,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

“What’s your favorite piece?” They asked at the same time.

 

“Kiss the Rain.” They both answered at the same time.

 

They laughed together. They did not expect they would have something in common.

 

“I actually started to love Yiruma when that dysfunctional door accidentally locked me in here. So I spent the whole time playing Yiruma’s pieces since they were the only ones with me that time until that door opened.” Seohyun told him.  Then they heard the door clicked.

 

“I think the door’s okay.” Seohyun said. Kyuhyun turned the knob and the door easily opened. He looked for Mr. Lee and found him on the counter, jotting down something. It was impossible for the old man to unlock the door and went back to the counter that fast.

 

They said that The Piano Room was enchanted of some sort. Sometimes it could sense the heart’s deepest desire and grant its wishes. Sometimes, it could also lead you to the one you belong to. Kyuhyun did not believe in magic, serendipity, and the likes but did the door just locked on its own accord so that he and Seohyun could spend some time together?

--------------------

Later that night…

 

“Grandma did not hire someone to follow you. I am sure of that,” Yesung said on the phone. Kyuhyun told him about the incident when he caught someone following his car so he asked him to find out if their grandma had hired a private investigator. Tonight, Yesung was going to report to him.

 

“Are you sure of that?” Kyuhyun asked his phone was placed in between his ear and shoulder while his two hands were preparing his meal.

 

“Don’t you trust me?” Yesung asked. “I do not doubt your loyalty. I doubt your abilities,” Kyuhyun answered.

 

“Just trust me, okay?” His hyung replied. “You have now the liberty to meet Seohyun whenever you want. I know you are excited to see her again.”

 

“Aniyo. It’s not like that. Hyung!”  Toot-toot-toot. Yesung already hung up the phone. “Aish! He hung up without even saying goodbye. What’s up with him?”

 

Kyuhyun continued to prepare his ramen. This time, he knew how to prepare it properly thanks to Seohyun’s instructions. That’s when he remembered that he had promised to treat her.

 

Flashback:

 

“Can you… cook some more?” he asked with a gentle voice.

 

“Yah! What are you doing still standing there? I’ll treat you next time so you better get moving!” He said when he saw Seohyun still standing there. He has reverted back to his short-tempered self.

 

End of Flashback

 

He set aside the food for a while and picked up his phone to text Seohyun.

--------------------

 

I do not doubt your loyalty. That sentence echoed in Yesung’s mind and he could not help but feel guilty. It was his first time to betray Kyuhyun. If he only knew that he was on the other side now… If only he knew.

--------------------

“You have a text message.”  The screen of Seohyun’s phone lit up. She put her book down and read the message on the phone.

 

I know you are free tomorrow.

 I know your schedule so don’t make excuses.

Let’s meet tomorrow. 1 PM Subway.  Don’t be late or else…

PS. Yesung-hyung confirmed it already.

 Grandma did not hire a private investigator so it’s safe.

 Good night. : )

 

“Who is that?” Yuri asked from the kitchen. She was reading what seems like a recipe book to Seohyun. The title on the cover said “Korean Bento: 101”. Her unnie must be planning to prepare a bento for Yesung. She was glad that her unnie and Yesung were now fine with each other. Seohyun, meanwhile was on the living room studying her lessons.

 

“It’s Kyuhyun-oppa. He said he wants us to meet tomorrow. Yesung-oppa said that it is safe for us to meet in public since their grandma did not hire a private investigator.” Seohyun said putting her phone aside and going back to read her book.

 

“What a lie,”Yuri thought. “If she only knew…”

 

“Hyunie,” Yuri approached the sofa where Seohyun was seating. She bent and whispered something on her ear. “Don’t forget to tell me about your date tomorrow.”

 

“Unnie!” Seohyun stood up and faced her unnie who was giggling in front of her. “Come on, Hyunie. Kyuhyun can’t resist you. As soon as he received the news from Yesung, he immediately asked you to meet him. Suspicious.”

 

“Aniyo! It’s not a date. It’s pure business… as usual.” Seohyun said. She also realized that she was right not to tell her unnie about her accidental meeting with Kyuhyun earlier or else she would be bugging her about how they were meant to be and about how destiny  was trying to make her fairy tale love story come true.

 

Seohyun picked up her books and walked towards her room. “I’m going inside. There’s so much disturbance here.” She kicked the door open and went inside. Seohyun stick her head outside for one last time and told Yuri, “Good luck with your bento-making for Yesung-oppa!”

 

“Hey you!” Yuri threw a pillow from the sofa to Seohyun but she immediately closed the door leaving the pillow outside.

 

End of Chapter 22

 

Author's notes: 

The twist starts here. The three fairy godfathers/godmothers are on the way to make the SeoKyu couple fall for each other. Are you ready for the things that they will do to the couple?

Kyuhyun's rendition of Snail on Miracle for You is memrable to me so I put it there. I also mentioned Yiruma's Kiss the Rain and Chaconne because Kyu used them as BGM in his cyworld account.