Trainee, and the Dark side

Audition guide to SM! Little for YG, JYP+

Auditions might be hard, but being a trainee is harder.

You have to practice a lot and attend classes.

By classes I mean dancing, singing and acting lessons. They also teach you several languages.. 


SM has high elimination rate. If you don't improve or get into trouble, YOU'RE OUT!


You will have a routine if your a trainee.

You will wake up at a certain time..

Go to school. If your a foreigner you have to go to KENT.. Krystal went to KENT.. Shes Korean, but shes an American citizen and a Korean foreigner..

Come back and practice till night. They don't want you to practice till like AM if you go to school. Plus lights have to be out at a certain time.

Wash up and go to sleep. 

Its pretty simple, but boring, hard and tiring.. That's why some trainees quit due to the intensity and difficulty of their training. They also quit because of the trainers/instructors.

You live in a dorm with other trainees. They pay for your school, lessons (dance, singing, and etc..) and food. 

You have to practice a lot, also try to keep your grades up.. You want a back up plan in case if you don't ever debut...

In JYP if your failing in school, he will kick you out (that's what I have heard). He does that, because if your grades are failing and you don't become famous or debut at all, you will be broke, so study and have a back up plan. You will also recieve food coupons to go and eat. Also in JYP, they take their trainees to events once in awhile. Like movies, concerts, and etc....

In YG they have their own restraunt for the trainees, because they want their trainees to eat well and healthy. He cares about his trainees, so does JYP.

Some trainees are pretty nice and they all help eachother, so don't worry about not making any friends. But the thing is, your trainee friends are competition.. You will have to compete against everyone to debut.. Some trainees are popular among trainees, and some of them are bullied. I also heard some trainees are jealous and mean.

I heard a rumor that in SM, trainees from China were bullied and Luhan was an exception (he was easy going and friendly, so no one picked on him. He got along with everyone).. Its a rumor (most likely false), but of course there are probably going to be a bully/bullies.. Not only with Chinese trainees but Korean trainees too. Now I personally think that rumor is false. There are many Chinese trainees and idols in the Korean industry. If they were bullied, then it wouldn't make sense that more Chinese trainees join Korean entertainment. That rumor isn't that well known, and if it was then there would be not much people who are Chinese going to audition for Korean entertainments. My conclusion is that the rumor is false.

Everywhere you go, there is that one person that will try to bring you down out of jealousy. 

It's impossible for everyone to get along, there's always going to be people that you just can't stand or they can't stand you. Besides in entertainment companies, most of the trainees are teenagers. There will be drama. it up. My tip is don't fight with anyone. Have a clean reputation, so when you debut people can't find anything bad about your past and they won't bash on you as much if you did something terrible. 


The dark side.

If you quit during your contract if you're a trainee, you will have to pay a debt back. They might also use you as assistants for makeup artists, coordinators assistants, and manager assistants to help pay the debt. One girl has wasted couple years just to repay back the debt.

Some trainers are mean, so up to them. There are 5 levels, you have to pass them to debut. Even if you pass them, SM has to decide whether you're ready or not (here I come~). To the trainees that the trainers like, they will let them skip levels. Be polite and kind to them. One girl was maybe older or same age as the trainers, but they treated her with disrespect and were mean to her, so she quit. Yeah they can be strict and stuff, so just keep up (don't over do it and make it obvious) and they will eventually treat you nicer.

I heard 1st level is getting you fit, if you are fit then you skip this level. If you are not, then diet time. Basically you will probably eat plain chicken and fruits and veggies (SNSD's diet). Don't starve yourself, if you do then your metabolism slows down, so when you actually eat you will gain more weight. From dancing practices, I'm sure you will lose weight easily. It's not hard to lose weight if you're willing to exercise and change your eating habits. Well it might be, but before you realize it as you get used to your training, you will be thin from continuously dancing. Yes, I have heard of water diet (you're most likely not going to go into water diet), and your body will only go into famine mode from just drinking water. So if you lost weight, when you eat, you will gain it all back. You're body will in every bits of calories you get when you eat. If you drink too much water, like excessive amount of water then it can cause a condition called hyponatremia which basically just means that you can excrete the extra water quickly causing your blood minderal content getting diluted and your sodium level will drop.

Second level is basic dancing like learning chreography and maybe dancing stuff like rhythm and beats. Third level is dance and singing. Fourth and fifth level is probably dancing and singing (maybe more), but it is more hardcore than 2 and 3. I'm really not sure about the 4th and 5th level. 

Now your trainers won't beat the out of you, so don't worry about physical violence. They can scold you though. 

If you think trainee life is hard, once you debut... It only gets more difficult. You have to deal with all sorts of people in the showbitz. Like producers, other actors/actresses, and other trainees. They can be rude to you, and some are nice. Just treat everyone with respect, but if they offend you too much then be like IU and honestly say what's on your mind (that's optional). If you can't handle people talking behind your back then either deal with it or don't choose the path of an idol. Majority of the netizens are narrow minded people who believe in almost any celebrity news/rumors they read/heard/watched, so if there's a rumor about you, and even if it's not true (ex: you're dating some other hot idol) they will hate on you. Anti-fans bash on you for reasons, maybe because you failed to pleased them or that they just don't like your looks because sometimes some peoples face can annoy you. Sometimes they forget your human. If you have ever hated on an idol,  just don't do it again. Well you can if you want to, but put yourself in that person's shoes. I'm not telling you to like them, I'm just saying if you don't like them then keep it to yourself. 

Practice hard kiddos. 


Ah! I have some news! SO SM is having their annual global auditions 2013! Anyone going for US?  If so good luck!<3 ^-^ Check their site for more information.