Crescendo - part 1

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Crescendo" -part 1

 

Nobody's POV

Jieun inhaled and exhaled, struggling to remain calm as she sat back stage, in the changing room. Time had passed way too quickly, and the showcase was just half an hour away; guests already pouring in. The backstage dressingrooms were chaotic, everyone rushing around to get ready. She'd somehow lost the others in it all.

Looking down herself, she brushed down her cream tunic and tucked a loose strand of her hair back into her updo. It was simple, but it suited the song perfectly; she'd sit centre stage and play the guitar whilst she sang an original - it hadn't been hard to prepare. She'd already sang it many times. It was an intimate performance. She didn't know how she felt about it, all she knew was she was scared.

She bit her lip, looking up as the big screen at the front of the room flickered on, the camera angles being tested. No one seemed to notice until they started testing the sound, some of the music students in the balchonies playing. Her eyes widened as she scanned the stage; it looked amazing, but it suddenly was much bigger. Was she really going to stand alone there?

"GIRLS, BE READY, WE'RE STARTING IN FIFTEEN MINUTES."

Jieun's gaze snapped to the door, but the swinging door was the only sign that there was ever someone there; even the teachers were stressed. She was just about to look away, when her gaze met familiar features.

"Seoh..." her words faded as she saw she wasn't alone.

Seohyun was busy talking to her company. Jieun watched wide eyed as Chansung smiled at her, her gaze going to their interlocked hands. Eventually, he reluctantly released her, sending her one last smile before disappearing to the guys dressing rooms. Seohyun smiled, turning to meet Jieun's gaze.

"Unnie~" Jieun's smile was knowing and teasing, making Seohyun's eyes widen as she walked towards her. "What was going on there?"

Seohyun bit her lip, holding back an impulsive smile.

"I'm not sure," she admitted, her smile winning out as Jieun giggled.

"Okay unnie," she laughed, elbowing her. "Omo, you look pretty."

And she did, with her embelished short white dress, her hair wavy with a red flower.

"Thanks Jieunnie," she twirled with a grin. "They said something about idol concept, and they're leaving most of the makeup until closer to the performance. You look lovely."

"Oh, thanks," Jieun fiddled with her dress with a sigh. "Unnie... I'm scared."

"Of course you are," she nodded, making Jieun look up in surprise. "It's normal. This is new to you, but I promise you'll get past that. And then you'll just wish you'd made this move earlier."

The youngers eyes widened in surprise at her unnies logic, her glazed over eyes telling her she had learnt this just recently herself. She smiled at Jieun, patting her hair softly.

"That hair stye suits you so much," she giggled. "You look like a fairy."

Jieun laughed at her subject change, beaming up at her unnie. She knew just how to make her feel better.

"Komawo."

"Where are the others?" Seohyun glanced around the mess.

"I think Qian's with Nichkhun; they're on soon. I'm not sure about the others, Chaerin just disappeared."

"Wooyoung?"

"I forced him to go with Junho," she giggled, remembering his reluctance. "We both need to focus."

"Hm," Seohyun nodded, turning to look at the screen. "Omo, it looks like the directors on."

Sure enough, the director approached the stage, standing in front of the drawn curtains to address the audience. The whole room suddenly became silent, the effect of their senior being strong.

"They must be ready to start," Jieun's gaze went to the clock. "We should find the others."

"Hello and welcome to Seoul Arts High..."

"Come on," Seohyun nudged Jieun. "Let's go and wish Qian good luck."

* * * *

"How are you feeling?"

Qian side glanced Nichkhun, who was trying to speak over the staff rushing around her backstage. They'd come out of wardrobe some time ago and Qian had just arrived behind the curtains, but they hadn't see each other till now. It was organised chaos.

"Okay," she sent him a reassuring smile, finally making her way towards him.

Nichkhun scanned her simple figure-hugging tunic, with lace sleeves and dark leggings. It was so simple, and yet she dressed it up.

"You look good," he couldn't help but acknowledge and Qian sent him a smile.

"You too."

...

"Qian!"

Both almlost exhaled in relief when someone interrupted. Tension wasn't common between the two of them, but it seemed it was inevitable; things were changing.

"Hyunnie, Jieun," Qian smiled, as she saw the two of them making ther way towards them. "Wow, girls you look great."

They hugged quickly greeting Nichkhun who smiled, Qian sending Jieun reassuring look, as she sensed her fear.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Jieun shook it off. "You're performing soon!"

"Oh thank god we caught you," Soeun exhaled out of nowhere, breathing fast as she approached with Yoonah and Chaerin.

"Good luck unnie!" Yoonah wasted no time in hugging the elder. "You look amazing!"

"Thank you," she smiled as the others agreed, pulling back to scan the girls. "Not changed yet?"

"No, we're waiting till the interval. We have ages..."

"I'm already bored," Yoonah whined, nodding along as Soeun explained.

"Shush," Minjun's voice echoed, and Chaerin turned to send him a look as he arrived with the other guys.

Backstage was pretty crowded by this point, the staff sending the group of twelve looks as they passed.

"Each student has prepared tirelessly..."

"The speech started?" Chansung eyed the curtains.

"Already?" Taecyeon interjected.

"Yeah," Nichkhun nodded. "In fact, I think she's pretty much done."

"I can't believe it came so quickly," a jumpy Yoonah added, echoing everyone elses feelings as a high of anticipation washed over them. "You guys are calm."

Nichkhun and Qian exchanged a shrug.

"We're prepared," Qian explained.

"Hoping I won't let the dance prodigy down," Nichkhun expressed, as Qian shook her head.

"Hyungs good at everything," Chansung waved him off.

"Good luck man," Wooyoung nodded, taking his place at Jieun's side who instantly felt more at ease.

"Good luck, you've got it," Soeun nodded, as the others agreed.

"Hwaiting!" the girls called, as the guys chuckled.

On cue, the lighting dimmed and suddenly the stage directors were running around the stage. The group squinted in the sudden darkness, their eyes drawn to the stage; it was lit with purple sultry lighting, and the backup dancers took their places behind the drawn curtains.

"That's our cue," Nichkhun took Qian's hand, and she quickly waved to the others before taking her place on stage. The audience applauded, and the curtains began to open as the music kicked in.

* * * *

Qian's POV

We've done this routine many times. We've practised in the rehearsal rooms, we've practised at my house, we've even practised on the stage.

So why is it different this time?

Somehow, as the music starts and we walk to the front together, it feels different. As Nichkhun moves around me, I can't decide whether I can't look at him or I can't look away. Either way, a smile lingers on my face.

eonjebuteonga manheun mari wae

uriege pillyoeobseotji

I fell his gaze but I don't look back. His arms go around me for the first hold of the routine. Our hands lock.

sumanheun bameul hamkke bonaen urideul

ege dagaoneun areumdaun naldeul

My gaze finally meets his, as part of the routine, my eyes darting to his and away again quickly, the routine muscle memory. But I see his smile reflect mine.

urin seoro manyang kkeullyeotji (Baby)

urin machi jaseokgatasseo

areumdaun ne soneul cheom jabasseul ttae

My hand on his shoulder seems different, more hesitant as he carries out the dance, and the shyness I seem to have recently discovers takes over. I slowly forget about the audience.

nan neukkyeojineun neowa na dulmanui sarang

Ooooh

I hold my breath, looking down as Nichkhun's hand rests on my hip, praying that my face isn't as red as it feels as he moved behind me, gentle and warm.

Ooh baby baby baby baby baby

We spin, and the loss of his contact makes my afce fall for just a second.But he's back again, and I trace my hand over his features.
I love you baby baby baby baby

Yeah Yeah Yeah

I hold my breath as he bows me, as the music comes to an end. I look up to his features, too close for me to think straight. He smiles softly, holding my eyes. It's only when the music abruptly changes that I awaken. The trumpets play loud and strong and we quickly transition to a faster dance. At first, this was simply an upbeat dance. But Yunho didn't agree with the feeling after the intimate music before, so it became more daring.

The first moves come naturally, and I exhale at our short points of contacts, grinning at Nichkhun. He's having fun, as we move around the stage, and so am I. The lift, pretty much the thing I'm worried about goes smoothly, and before I know it, I'm pulling Nichkhun up.

My smile is more of a beam as we begin our retreat, the relief of the smooth run together with the light-hearted feel of the last dance has our mood high.

I just remember to glance back, completing our routine, and I look for the first time at the audience, now I can actually see beyond the lights. I smile at where I know Lian will be seated, as my family are away, scanning the audience to ensure I leave a good impression. After all, the whole dance I was trying to keep my mind straight and I have no idea how it actually went.

I finally get a lock on a pair of staring eyes, but I blink and it's gone, the light blinding me again. The music ends, my arm linked to Nichkhun.

I try not to walk too fast off-stage, my grip on Nichkhun's arm loosening, as I'm eager to look over. My grips slips as darkness engulfs us and he takes my hand instead, almost swinging our arms, and I feel his gaze.

Can I look?

I don't see to have a choice. I wait five more seconds, and he turns, as do I, and we finally face each other. His wide eyes, dilating in the darkness, smile into mine, and I exhale seeing the same emotion reflected in his eyes.

"Nichkhun..."

His arms wrap around me and he pulls me into a hug, a soft chuckle rumbling in his chest.

"We did it," he murmured as the curtains finally close. "You were amazing."

I pull back, looking up into his eyes, a warm feeling washing over me. I forget whatever I was going to say as I search his gaze, finding nothing but devotion and care. It doesn't seem like I have a say as my body moves forward out of its own accord, Nichkhun immediately realises what i'm doing, moving in too.

"Unnie, you were amazing!!!" the sudden voice interrupts us, racing up and attacking me before I have a say.

I blink, glancing down to Seohyun before looking back at Nichkhun who greets Chansung, who hands us both towels.

"Thank you Hyunnie," I squeeze her back, making a physical effort to cool down, as she pulls away. "I wasn't sure how it looked, but it seemed to go smoothly..."

I shoot Nichkhun a look, and he's already smiling at me.

"You did amazingly noona," Chansung grins, before turning to Nichkhun. "You were okay-ish."

"Haha," he hit the maknae softly before raising his eyebrows. "You got here quick."

"Chansung's performing soon," Seohyun gushes, as though that explains it all, moving back to Chansung's side.

"Explains the attire," Nichkhun gestures to Chansung's leathert jacket and pants.

"Neh," she nodded, enthusiastically. "He looks good, right? He said he hated his outfit yesterday, no idea why."

"Seohyun, that's easy for you to say. You look like an idol," he poked the flower in her hair, making her turn to him with a giggle.

I look between them as they talk, and Nichkhun does the same as we wonder. They look happy, Seohyun almost glowing as they seem to impulsively touch, her hand going to his arm. Even their heights seemed complimentary, Seohyun being tall but Chansung being up to scratch. Their chemistry was unmissable, now more than ever...

"Seo," I raise an eyebrow. "Is there something you need to tell us?"

The two look between each other, confused but then speechless.

Hm...

"Khun!"

We turn to see Taecyeon approaching, and I almost see Chansung exhale.

"Nice Khun, didn't know you were that smooth," Taecyeon wiggled his eyebrows, earning a shove from Nichkhun. "Nice performance Qian."

"Thanks," I decide to let Seohyun get away with it for now. "Where are the others?"

"We're taking up a whole room," Yoonah springs out of nowhere, hugging me with beaming pride. "Qian you are amazing."

I chuckle at her statement, looking between her and Taecyeon. She understands and rolls her eyes discretely; seems she may still be annoyed at him. She's probably being over sensitive, but I would've thought he would make them official already...

The music picks up again, and we glance at the stage where another group is performing.

"We're next," Taecyeon nods at the maknae. "Let her go Chansung, we gotta prepare."

Seohyun immediately shies away, and Yoonah and I stare wide eyed at her as she blushes. She's not easily phased, mostly oblivious... until now apparently.

"How you feeling oppa?" Yoonah not-so-discretely distracts Taecyeon, pulling him away to give the youngers some privacy. I too, follow suit, moving back with Nichkhun.

Seohyun and Chansung still stay in their corner, talking lowly, but I don't miss her adoring smile. With a grin, I look away as she squeezes his hand.

"Wow," is all he says and I nod.

"Seems they matured in a week," I chuckle, scanning backstage as Yoonah skips back with Taceyeon.

"They're still talking?" she asks, with a grin.

"Neh," I chuckle as the boys shift awkwardly. Yoonah's eyes light up as she rememebrs something.

"Oh, did you see Yunho?" she asks, and I raise an eyebrow.

"Not since our last rehearsal... why?"

"He was waiting back stage," she frowned. "He just missed you when you went on stage. I think he wanted to wish you luck, but he said he'd wait to congratulate you I guess."

"He wasn't here when we finished," Nichkhun confirms as I glance around wondering where he had gotten to. Just ten minutes before our performance he had seen us in the dressing room and wished me luck... Maybe he wanted to give me some final pointers.

My thoughts are interrupted as we're approached.

"Girls, please move to the dressing rooms, it's filling up here."

I nod as Yoonah does too, the two of us bowing as the frazzled staff member moves away.

"Come on guys, I'll show you where the others are."

"Seems Seohyun is a little bu-"

"Good luck oppa," Yoonah pecks Taecyeon, shutting him up immediately as I watch with a chuckle. We too wish the boys good luck, before following the Yoonah, shooting Chansung and Seohyun one last look. As we walk down the corridor, Nichkhun's hand finds mine in the darkness.

* * * *

Seohyun's POV

"Oppa hwaiting!" I call, as my eyes scan his form. They chose his wardrobe well; the jacket and trousures complimenting his lean figure, and it seemed someone had finally fixed his permanent bed hair.

"Komawo," he chuckles, lacing his hand with mine quickly. His eyes light up at the contact and I glance down to our hands shyly. But despite my embarrassment, I don't pull away. Our hands somehow feel better together.

"Two minutes!"

We turn as a member of staff arrives with Taecyeon.

"You ready?"

Chansung grins, his professional gaze back as he reassures Taecyeon.

"Yeah."

Taecyeon grins as they had him a microphone, and I glance back to Chansung wide-eyed.

"Omo, it's soon."

He grins at me, shaking his head as he scans backstage.

"I think the others got kicked out... but they didn't notice you. Will you stay to watch?"

"Yes," my answer is automatic, squeezing his hand. "You've got this!"

"For you," he smiled back, tapping my chin and making me blink, as I wonder how he suddenly is able to make me feel jittery. When was he childish again?

I don't have tim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter