Picture Memory

Picture memory

He woke up in his room, sun gently playing in his room. He sat up sleepily, glancing at the polaroids on the white wall, moving gently due to the breeze in his room. He smiled unknowingly at them before letting out a small yawn and standing up from the bed. There was a book-calendar on his nightstand, waiting for him. He took it, reading the sloppy handwriting on the baby-blue paper.

Good morning! It's 21th of November today, year 2012. You are Kim Minseok or Xiumin, as you remember. It's cold outside so take care~~

Xiumin, 20th November, 2012

It brought smile on his face, he still remembers who he is and he isn't going to forget it. Putting down the book, he walked to the polaroids, newest of them marked taken on 20th November 2012. He raised his hand and slided it across the small pictures, looking at his pictured memories, smiling.

There were thick albums all across the room, each of them had a small sicribble on them:

Memories of Kim Minseok, 1th January - 24th May 2008

Memories of Kim Minseok, 8th August - 15th October 2011

He noticed that there always was someone else on photos where he was, someone named Chen. There were some polaroids missing, harshly ripped corners of polaroids still remaining on the wall. He looked down, the photos were scattered under his feet. He leaned down and raised one of them closer to his eyes. Messy blue ink, some dried teardrops and a short sentence.

Kim JongDae, Chen, boyfriend <3

As on cue, a voicemail peeped on his old phone and someone's voice was talking to him.

Hi Xiu! It's me, Chen... I just wanted to remind you that we're not a couple anymore... I know you won't write it down so yeahh... I- ahhh... This is what I wanted to tell you... Bye!

*Beep*

He knew that pain tugging on his heart as tears started to fall from his eyes. He threw the picture away, pulling some more polaroids away from the wall angrily before falling onto the floor sobbing.

He wanted to forget it... The pain... Why would he forget everything but the pain... With shaky steps, he walked towards the polaroid where Chen was smiling happily and picked it up. He wanted to be free... 

Picking up the phone, he dialled the number written beside Chen's name. After a few rings, someone picked up. 

"Xiu? Didn't you get the message? We ar-"

He felt angry, dissapointed, tired.... Heartbroken... He clenched his phone thighter.

"Don't send me the message anymore, I'll write it down. It's completely over."

He almost laughed at the gasp and sputtering on the other side of the line before hanging up. He picked all polaroids with him and Chen into his palm before walking onto his balcony.

It was a beautiful day with clear sky, autumn leaves flying with the cold wind slowly. He raised his hands, polaroids still tightly clenched into his palms before opening his palms and watching as the pictures flew away... 

"MINSEOK!"

He looked down at Chen who was looking up at him from the front of the building. Seeing the other so near to crying, he softly smiled and walked into his apartment, ingnoring the pleas from Chen. It was finally over. He grabbed the black marker from his nightstand and snapped a quick polaroid of his empty room, scribbling the date on it.

21th November 2012, Chen and me broke up finally

First time after so many days and months, Xiumin felt free... He finally remembered how to be happy... And it felt great.