You're my first friend

Straight As Student.

>>Flashback<<

“Jiyong, I am really proud of you,” Jiyong’s teacher said, smiling, “You did a tremendous job. Your parents will be so proud of you.”

Am I dreaming? Is this real? I took my result slip from my teacher and slowly look at my grades. Straight As just like my previous results. I looked at my level position and how shocked I was when I found out that I topped the level again. It’s the second time!

I went home feeling like the happiest kid on earth! I couldn’t wait to meet my parents and tell them my results! They will be so happy!

When I arrived at home, the door wasn’t locked. I opened the door, and peered inside. Nobody was in the living room, but the television was left open. I walked in, closing the door behind me.

“Mum?” I called for her.

I climbed upstairs to check on her, and I can hear my mum sobbing inside her room. I knocked on her door, “Mum, what’s wrong?” But there was no answer. She continued sobbing and ignored me.

“Mum, I’m coming in okay,” I said and opened the door, revealing my dad’s dead body lying on bed with a knife stabbed on his heart. Blood was everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

“MUM, WHAT HAPPENED?” I yelled and ran towards my father, touching his pale face, “DAD, WAKE UP! WAKE UP!” But it was obviously too late. It’s no use anymore. He’s gone. He’s gone and will never come back.

I can cry an ocean. Those tears just keeps on rushing down my cheeks and they never stop. All the memories I had with my dad played in my mind and it hurts me even more, shedding more tears. It felt like I’m living in a dark future. Without my dad, who is going to pay all the outstanding bills? Who’s going to support the family?

But the worst…my dad isn’t able to see how well I did for my results…

The next day in school, I was controlling my emotions. I was trying hard not to drop a tear. Not even one. I walked into the school, putting on a fake smile. But people weren’t so friendly on that day. They were so different.

As I walk through the corridor, I was gaining stares from every corner. I tried to ignore and just walk to class but it looks like I will have to deal with a bunch of people first.

One of the school bullies came forward and pulled my collar, glaring at me, “Hello, Mister Smarty Pants.” His friends joined in and laughed at me, “Oh, let’s call him Mister Nerd!” The school bully nods his head, agreeing with the idea, “Hey, Mister Nerd!”

He lets go and I fell down first. His friends pulled me up and hold me firmly so I couldn’t move. At the count of three, the school bully punched me hard on my stomach. It was a massive blow and it’s too painful for me to handle. I tried to struggle free but he pinned me on the locker. His fist was aiming at my face and he wants to hurt me so bad, and without knowing, I cried.

He laughed loudly, “HAHAHAHA YOU ARE A COWARD!”

His friends joined in too, “HAHAHAHAHA HE’S MUMMY’S BOY! HE’S GOING TO RUN HOME AND COMPLAIN TO HIS MUMMY AND DADDY! OOH I’M SO SCARED!” and they laughed even harder, clapping their hands like retarded seals.

But at the word ‘daddy’ it hurts me deep down.

All of sudden, they stopped laughing because they sensed a teacher is approaching. The school bully quickly shoved me aside and he and his friends run away like wild dogs. Who’s the coward now?!

 I stood up, with the help of the walls and walked my way helplessly to the boy’s toilet. The minute I got in, I cried my heart out.

What did I do to deserve this?

My days in that school changed. The school bullies hurt me every day, physically and mentally. They forced me to give them my money, do their homework and generally, ordering me around like as if I’m a dog.

One day, I got so tired of the bull I’m facing. That exact day, I went home. My mum was not at home often because she’s busy working for money. She didn’t have the time to take care of me and ask me how my day is at school. She’s not like the mother I used to know. She didn’t care about me anymore.

Like I already planned in my head during school that day, I got in my bedroom, locked the door, took out a penknife, and pressed it hard on my wrist. I was crying. I know this is not the correct way to deal with my problems but for now, this is the perfect remedy.

In addition, when those bullies hurt me, that physical pain they are giving me makes me forget about my problems temporarily. I was trying to hold onto the pain and that’s the only thing I could think about.

I bend the penknife to a small angle, and slashed my wrist…

>>End of Flashback<<

“And these scars remain behind...”

I didn’t know a simple scar like that can have a long story. It was indeed like a nightmare.

He buried his face in his palms. The next thing I heard was sobbing. Really, seeing him cry after telling a very disheartening story makes me tear up too. I hugged him by his sides and mumbled, “I’m here for you…”

“You don’t have to. I’m used to it,” Jiyong said, pushing me gently, “But, thanks for listening, Dara. Thank you.”

“If you have any problems that you need to share, just tell me. I can’t be so sure that I will be able to help you but at least you feel better now right?” I smiled at him. He nods his head, “Yeah. Honestly.”

I took out a tissue and wiped those tears off his face. He smiled at me.

His stomach grumbles. “Are you hungry?” I asked.

He nods his head, “I’ll treat you as a thank you gift for listening to me. You’re the first person in this school that knows about this. Thank you…” and then he smiles at me widely, “…friend.”

We went to an ice cream parlor. Jiyong ordered ice creams for the both of us and paid for it.

“Thanks, Jiyong,” I thanked him.

“Thank YOU for being my first friend,” Jiyong smiled.  

Soon, our ice creams arrived and we tucked in. After our tummy was filled with goodies, I decided to ask Jiyong about Saturday.

“Would you like to hang out on Saturday?”

Jiyong thought of Chaerin and said, “I’ll see about it. Let’s exchange numbers.”

When I look at my phone, he named himself ‘Straight As Student’. I laughed, looking at him, “Yes, you are a Straight As Student.” He grins, “You are too, Sandara Park.”

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Updated. Hope you guys like it.

Thanks for the comments and subs!

Do subscribe if you want to know what happens on Saturday which is on the next chapter.

Who do you think Jiyong will go out with?