Chapter 2

A Matter of Heart [Story #5]


Chapter 2



"Did you see Kang Soomi?"
 
 
 
 
 
"Yeah. She needs to stop acting like a boss. Just because she's a jopok's daughter, doesn't mean she can act like that."
 
"She looks nice, though."
 
"I hate her guts. What's with her cold expression? freak."
 
"I think you should stop talking about her like that, Ara..."
 
"Yeah. She probably has recording device planted here. Why are you two so scared? She's just a pathetic girl."
"ara..."
 
 
"S-ssoomi-ssi" A few girls gulped nervously when she opened the door of her cubicle. 
 
Her eyes darted towards the girl in the middle who's wearing an extremely short mini dress and she almost scoffed at her attempt to appear more decent when she walked inside. She recognizes her as Lee ara, the spoiled daughter of Lee corporation.
 
"We didn't know you were inside." One of Ara's minion said.
 
Soomi just stared at them coldly, making her way to the sink to wash her hand. The three girls watched her every move nervously.
 
"I could kill you in a snap." They all hold their breath in fear when Soomi faced them.
 
"But i'd dirtied my hands. And social climbers like you will eventually got thrown away." Soomi continued.
 
"Aren't you being a B*tch, Soomi?" Ara, the leader step up.
 
"Ara, stop it." Her friends whispered.
 
"Takes one to know one." 
 
"You!" Ara raised her hand and swing it towards Soomi.
 
Before it touches her cheek, soomi quickly caught her hand. Her grip tightened as she glared at Ara.
 
"I'm going to be nice to you today and not hurt your plastic face. But you need to learn a lesson so Ara, your family will no longer be a guest on Kang's annual party. Have fun telling your parents why their business flunked in such a short time." Soomi said and left the restroom.
 
"I told you, ara." They shook their heads while Ara just blankly stared at the door.
 
"I'm going to crush her to pieces." Ara darkly said.
 
"You can't. You know Soomi. She could kill you, Ara. Just stop that act of yours. Be thankful she doesn't hurt you."
 
"Are you defending her?" ara raised her voice and turned around to see a girl coming out of the cubicle.
 
"I'm just stating a fact."
 
"You Park family disgust me." Ara spats but Sanghee just chuckled.
 
"We Park family are in good relation with the Kang Clan, unlike you who just played with fire. And if you forget, Kang annual party is quite important, especially if you want to keep your status as an elite here. What would people say when they found out only your family is not invited?"
 
Ara stayed silent.
 
"good. You should stop talking now, Ara. you just look pathetic." Sanghee left them.
 
*****
"I'm going home." Soomi said to Kangjun.
 
Kangjun stared at his sister before he shrugged. He took her hand and smiled at her, only to be replied with a flat expression.
 
"Why can't you smile for once, noona..." He mumbled.
 
"I don't see a reason to, Kangjun-ah. I'm going to be the next leader of Kang and i don't need to start growing my feelings for people. You know that."
 
"But you said you love me."
 
Soomi sighed and stared at him while he softly pushed her inside the car.
 
"That's different. you know you're the only person i treasure in this world. Not even mother and father could replace it." Soomi said.
 
"I know." Kangjun grinned and turned towards her.
 
Soomi shook her head and faced the front but Kangjun could notice her lips formed a small smile, something only he could see.
 
*****
 
"Good Evening, Father." Soomi and Kangjun bowed as they entered the living room.
 
"Soomi, have you read the reports?"
 
"I have, Father."
 
"Are you the one who close all the ion business?" Her father stared at her.
 
She didn't flinch and glared back.
 
"yes. I did told you before father. If i were to be a leader, i will not tolerate human trafficking and ion. Weaponry are still acceptable but i'm not going to stay silent with such dirty business. We Kang clan should be known as the clan people feared not because of our evil doings." She said.
 
Kangjun glanced at his sister and father back and forth. Their father stayed silent for a moment before he let out a chuckle as he stands up and pats his daughter's head.
 
"Good. I'm proud of you. I've been trying to close the business your grandfather opened for years and you managed to clear it in few years. Great job, Kang Soomi. You'll make us proud, i know that." He said before he left.
 
Kangjun let out a sigh of relief when their father close the door to his room and looked at his sister proudly.
 
"Noona you did great." he smiled.
 
Soomi turned towards him and let out a sad smile.
 
"But i still can't save those lives that were taken and those women while i'm in charge. Two years. Who knows how much lives are taken..." 
 
"But you have saved another thousands of lives that could die, Noona. Don't punish yourself too hard. Come on, let's go to sleep. I'm sure you're tired." He tugged her arm and pulled her.
 
Soomi nodded and watched her brother as he leads the way to their own bedroom. He knew her fear and her tears and she's glad he still cares for her and stayed in the clan, unlike her uncle who fled the house when her father was anointed as the leader.
 
He cupped her cheeks and she had to admit that her brother has surpassed her height in such a short time. It feels like he's the older one between them.
 
"Noona, i'll be on the next room if you have nightmares, okay." He smiled and hug her.
 
"Good night, Kangjun."
 
"Good night, Noona!" He grinned and jogged towards his room.
 
Soomi smiled and shook her head at her brother's childishness. 
 
"It's been a while since i last saw you smile, Soomi." Soomi turned around and frowned at the sight of the Woo Siblings.
 
"Why are you here? It's 9 P.M." She asked.
 
"We're just assigned as your bodyguards. Taewoon hyung will be taking care of your brother. This is going to be fun, Soomi!" Jiho grinned mischievously.
 
Soomi sighed and waved her hands at them.
 
"Just leave. I'll see you tomorrow." She dismissed them and entered her room.
 
"Good night Soomi~! Ouch, HYUNG!" She could hear Jiho's voice.
 
"Shut up. That's your boss. Show some respect, idiot."
 
*****
 
Soomi puts her hands on her chest, trying to calm her heart down. It's been a year since she last saw the Woo brothers, especially Woo Jiho. They have been with her and Kangjun ever since they were little and she knew they have been trained to be the Kang's bodyguard. 
 
Woo Jiho. The name sent a tingling sensation to her lips as she whispered his name. She wonders how her brother would react if her found out his favorite woo Taewoon hyung is assigned as his bodyguards.
 
Soomi sighed and stared at the door.
 
"Do not fall in love, Soomi. Do not have any feelings for anyone. Kangjun is the most important person. No one else. Forget your feelings for Jiho." Soomi kept mumbling as she showered.
 


2012.11.24 saturday

by Seoulchae