Invitation

Turquoise

 

 

“W-w-what are you doing here?!“  You instinctively step back, half- intimidated by the creamy glistening piece of bare flesh of a newly-showered man that languidly draws nearer. Your backside hits the wooden cabinet, leaving you no space to step back further. He stops in his tracks, your reaction producing an amused-slash-ridiculed look from him, like it’s supposedly weird for girls to naturally elicit such response in front of a scarcely-dressed boy. Was seeing half- people that normal in America?

“I sleep here.” He replies with expected boring composure and continues drying off his golden-dyed locks dully. The glint of bemusement in his eyes lingered, however.

“Eh? B-But this is Suho’s room...”

He rolls his eyes and shoots you a ‘you don’t say’ kind of face. Omo, he can alter that signature expression of his? Daebak.

 “Uhh... I know? You see, I sleep with him. Me on top.” He explains, one brow raised.

SLEEP with Suho? AND HIM ON TOP? You think inaudibly, eyes widening upon your own insight.

Your consciousness must’ve failed to conceal the inappropriate thoughts off your face, because Kris shook his head and chuckled. “Oh wait, that sounded suggestive.” He realized, his expression changing lightly. “What I meant was, I sleep on top of the double deck, and him at the bottom.” He points towards the direction of the bed, still not moving from where he stands.

“Oh.” You sigh, relieved that it wasn’t like what you’ve imagined. You wouldn’t know what to do if what you suspected was true. If inner insanity would permit, then you’d have to go through the trouble of kidnapping Suho away and trying your best into changing him back to a man. But nah, looks like that won’t be needed as of the moment.

Kris tosses the wet towel on dresser beside you, pulling you back to the reality that you’re in a room standing alone and sharing the same air with the man whom you currently hate. And don’t forget the fact that he’s only clothed with those red checkered boxers.

“Uhm, I-I think I’ll go out first and let you get dressed.” In small hasty strides, you awkwardly head towards the door while keeping a minimal view of Kris lower torso and beyond. Why of all times, is he inconveniently standing near the door right now? Ugh.

“Eh? Get changed?” He blocks the door before you got to grab the knob. “I only wear boxers when I’m at home, so I’m practically done changing.”  He leans on it and crosses both arms. “Since you’re here, why don’t we chat a bit?”

Seriously? You dart a glare at him. “Oh I’d love to Mr. Wu, but I think chatting would be more suitable if both people were fully clothed. “ You retort, sounding sardonically cheerful.

“Oh, I see...” He his chin, pretending to think about something.” So…” He moves forward – getting tauntingly closer towards you without breaking eye contact. Stepping back reflexively, you attempt hard to keep your small personal space free from his reach.  

“Do you mean that…” He continues, this time taking two steps at a time, playful eyes burning against yours. You step back at the same pace with him until your back bumps the bookshelf. He’s too close now, the fresh smell of his soap and shampoo unnecessarily wafting to your nostrils, slowly brainwashing you.

 “…I’m too distracting to you right now that you can’t even have a proper conversation with me?” A smirk forms up on his lips. It didn’t take you too long to break from the momentary hypnosis of his shower scent.

“What? Ugh, can’t you get any more egoistic?” You push him away, disgusted. He laughs, chuckling with self-satisfaction. He almost got you right there.

You were about to throw Kris a wave of insults and banters when the door opened, Suho’s head poking from the opening. He sees your flushing irritated face and then turns to the amused Kris, his face lighting up in surprise finding his friend in the room.

“Oh Kris! You were home?” Suho asks, coming further inside.

“Home? So you really live here together?”  You ask him for confirmation.

“Uhn.” Suho nods. “Told ya.” Kris follows up. You ignore him.

“Actually, Kris and I have been friends for years, so it’s okay for us to share rooms. And it’s better this way, it helps cut up a little portion of our expenses.” Suho explains. “Anyway, “ He continues, “let’s go eat lunch before it gets cold.” He looks at Kris and then to you, opening the door and disappearing.

You stood there, lost in thought. Ahh, he’s not only smart, handsome and caring, but also practical, budgeting and stuff. Plus he knows how to cook. I have to marry him in the future. You thought, smiling like an idiot to yourself. You almost forgot that Kris was still in the room until you realize that he’s staring weirdly at you.

“What are you looking at?” You bark at him.

A long silence passed before he says with a straight face,

 

“Aren’t you going to get out or did you change your mind and decided to help me put on my clothes instead?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Hmmm, mata!” You exclaim after taking a bite of topokki.

“Really? Thanks.” Suho smiles humbly. Kris groans something quietly to himself as he chewed. But you’re too busy enjoying the food that Suho cooked, so you really didn’t care.

“How come you know how to cook Korean dishes? I mean, the diets here and there are too different, right?”

“Hm, about that, we take effort to serve and eat Korean dishes like these as often as possible, so I guess that’s why we are very well acquainted with it.” He explains. You nod in approval, and then continue eating. The atmosphere fell silent again, except for the clinks and clanks of chopsticks and spoons on bowls.

“So what brings you here?” Kris opens up all of a sudden. “Are you going to go on a date today or something?”  He eyes your dress.

You almost choked the moment he mentioned the word ‘date’, but recovering quickly after you drinking a glass of water.

“Uh, “You cough, “Suho offered help with Math.”

“Math? Ehh… Ah! Don’t tell me, you’re that student that failed whom Mr. Oh referred to?” He stops eating, face slightly amazed, with mock or not. Suho stops, too, frowning at Kris. “What? I was just askin’, man.” He shrugs in English, and continues eating.

“It’s okay, it is true, and I do really at it, after all.” You admit, waving it off. You quietly dart Kris a death glare while Suho’s not looking. I swear I’m going to kill this camel head in his sleep if I have the chance.

“Well, not anymore after today.” Suho assures you, letting you feel a sense of guarantee. “Don’t mind him, he’s just joking. He’s been like that since elementary school.”

“Hmm, I figured.” So this guy has had his rotten personality since a long time ago? Tragic. “So, why did you decide to resume your studies here? No offense, but doesn’t America have a better education system?”

“Well, originally,” Suho pauses, “we really had no intention to pursue our studies here, but Kris here insisted because he wants to see someone again.”

“I’m done.” Kris abruptly stands up from his seat and leaves the table, avoiding the topic like the plague. Ooooh, so he has someone special here in Korea? I wonder who it is. I shall gather more data for future blackmail purposes. Fufufu. You thought, biting off the last piece of topokki aggressively. Your time will come, Kris Wu. Your time will come.

 

 

 

 

 

““Thank you very much for today. “ You gladly thank him. “I’ll try to remember all of those things you taught me earlier.” You turn to face Suho after exiting the gate. “I’m sorry I’ve troubled you with all these. You really didn’t have to.” You apologize, bowing shyly. He starts walking with you to the nearest bus stop.

“Oh no, it’s okay, really. I just naturally love helping out people, so you’re really not a bother to me at all.” He replies. “But remember that you have to pass at least 60% of the exam, okay?” He smiles. “I hope you had fun today.”

You gave him simple nod and a small smile in reply. Although you’re happy because of the fact that Suho was the one tutoring you, especially at those lucky moments when he leans closer to take a look at what you’re asking or to check your answers, you’d be happier if Kris wasn’t in the same room the whole freakin’ time, purposely ing the only alone time you had with Suho. The guy must be so proud of himself right now.

You finally arrive at the waiting shed. Not a few minutes later, a bus up pulls up in front of you. “I guess I’ll have to go now. Thanks for walking me here. ” You take one last bow and begin to go up the entry steps.

“Ah, wait!” Suho exclaims. You stop halfway and turned to him. “Yes?”

“Uh, do you have plans tomorrow?”

“Hmm, “ you paused, “ As far as I’ve known, none. Why?”

“We have that assignment for zoology class, right? If it’s okay, do you want to go together with me to the zoo?” He asks expectantly.

You forgot if there was actually the said assignment or not, but screw it, Suho is asking you out!  “ Yeah, yeah, sure!” You reply breathlessly, beaming at him your widest grin.

“Hey agassi, are you going to ride or not?” The driver behind you asks impatiently.

“Go in now, I’ll just text you.” He says, waving and sending you off with a smile. You hurriedly climbed in and chose a seat, waving back to Suho while the bus drives away. Not a few seconds after, your phone beeps in your pocket, and you scamper to fish it out. You already have a message, and it’s from – guess who – Suho.

Wow, he’s fast. You thought.

You open the text. It read:

 

 

 

 

 

Looking forward on seeing you tomorrow. ;)“