chapter four: "(Tricky) double meaning conversations"

Birthday Parties

 

 

 

Birthday Parties

 

 

 

 

 

So it started like that – maybe Myungsoo suddenly felt bad for him, suddenly hearing the story first hand, or maybe fate just decided to play it’s cards.

 

“Sungjong-ssi, wait!” Myungsoo calls out from behind him as he speed walks back towards his car, he slows down slightly so his really hot victim new developing friend can catch up, “can you drive me back home?”

 

He stops completely at that, twirling around to look at Myungsoo with a you have to be kidding me type of look, Myungsoo sighs, “I came here with Tiffany – she took the car with her, I kind of told her it would just catch a ride with you.” He finishes, a sheepish smile on his lips.

 

“Oh,” Sungjong voices, wrinkling his nose slightly, “well, I guess that’s fine. I needed to drop off Minho anyways.”

 

“Thanks” Myungsoo mumbles, beckoning Minho over to him with his middle finger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The ride to Myungsoo’s home is really awkward (not that Sungjong would ever admit to it, because he likes to think he’s a socializing genius) and eventually Taemin ( he really needs to sell Taemin and Jinki one of these days) chirps out a graceful “can Myungsoo-appa and Minho-hyung come over?”

 

And , Sungjong can never deny Taemin of what he wants – cause let’s be honest, Taemin is really beautiful.

 

“Okay” Myungsoo and him chime at the same time in defeat (and Sungjong briefly forgets that ing Infinite will be visiting later, it kind of just slips his mind) so yes, he’s a bit more than just surprised when he spots Infinite's van in his driveway.

 

“Well, .”

 

“NOOOOO!” Jinki wails, ducking into the back of the car, “they’re here!”

 

“Who?” Minho asks innocently as Myungsoo jumps out of the car, getting Taemin and Minho out of their car seats (because the law apparently states kids need to be in them till they’re 8).

 

“Hoya-appa” Taemin chirps, eyes finally catching the giant black van, Jinki however, does not share his younger brother’s enthusiasm.

 

“Oh, yeah.” Sungjong says in a mutter, rolling his eyes when he hears Sungyeol and Woohyun screeching inside of his house, the TV blasting away, “dammit, I told him to stop bringing Woohyun over.”

 

“HOYA-APPA!” Taemin screeches out happily instead (leaving Sungjong to sulk, being abandoned and all), flinging the door open to reveal Dongwoo and Sungyeol arm wrestling, Woohyun jumping around like a fool, and Hoya merely standing near the doorway, smiling at his band mates.

 

“Taeminnie!” Hoya says while turning around, meeting Taemin's smile with a bigger one while picking up the 6 year old and twirling him around, the 3 other males finally stopping their games to focus on everyone that just entered.

 

“Hyung” Sungjong says, a smile spreading onto his face as he rushes towards the other, Hoya places Taemin down immediately, arms finding their way around Sungjong’s petite frame, he didn’t count the seconds they held each other, but it must’ve been long, because Sungyeol got sick of it and pulled them apart, a playful smile on his face.

 

"Don't forget were here too" Sungyeol teases, a playful glint in his eyes (even though Sungjong can taste the fear).

 

“Have you guys been busy?” Sungjong asks quietly, smiling happily when Hoya keeps him by his side, arm wrapped around his waist, he looks over towards Minho and Taemin playing and – “oh right, guys this is Kim Myungsoo, Minho’s dad.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you” Myungsoo says politely, and Sungjong wonders if he ever smiles.

 

“Oh guys,” Woohyun demands, and instantly all of their hands are in front of them before they bow, “we are, Infinite!”

 

“Infinite!” Taemin chirps from somewhere in the living room, like a cute mini echo.

 

“Sorry we haven’t visited you more often Sungjonie…” Sungyeol says pathetically (still avoiding eye contact, like always.) “We’ve been doing promotions in Japan.”

 

“It’s fine,” Sungjong says, placing his head onto Hoya’s shoulder, and sticking his tongue out at Myungsoo, “don’t give me weird looks Myungsoo-hyung!”

 

“I’m not” Myungsoo scoffs out,

 

“Are too”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

“You were” Sungjong says, finalizing it by turning his head to look at Dongwoo, whom still had to utter a word.

 

“Are… you two dating?” Dongwoo finally asks after a prolonged silence, and Sungjong glares at him.

 

“I was just asking!” Dongwoo defends, and Sungjong rolls his eyes at him.

 

“I don’t think Sungjong would introduce him to me if he was dating him,” Hoya laughs out, “actually never introduce me to the people you’re dating.”

 

“Got it” Sungjong says, head bobbing up and down, “wait – why?”

 

“He’d get jealous” a deep rough voice mumbles as he enters the house, and Sungjong wickedly laughs inside him (because this one's his favourite toy).

 

“Sunggyu-hyung” Sungjong says, internally laughing at his luck. Every guy in Infinite that I’ve ed, gathered, while I prepare to my newest victim, he thought, looking over at Myungsoo, before smiling at Sunggyu (who blushes and coughs into his fist to avoid eye contact).

 

“Hoya is the only one that can stay, the rest of you have different things to do.” Sunggyu finally says forever acting like a stuck-up, being a bunch of wild adults manager just does that too you, giving Taemin and Minho a timid wave, “sorry guys.”

 

“I need sleep!” Dongwoo whines, “I haven’t slept in like forever.”

 

“Why does only Hoya get to stay?!” Woohyun protests, Sunggyu already ushering them out the door.

 

“Because Hoya and Sungjong are practically married!” Is the only thing Sungjong hears before they disappear into their van, leaving him with an awkward Myungsoo and an over clingy Hoya.

 

“Maybe I should let you guys… reunite?” Myungsoo mumbles awkwardly, “I mean I can –“

 

“It’s fine I can drive you and Minho back, but yeah, that’d be nice.” Sungjong decides, “Hoya catch up with Taemin and Jinki. He purrs out the final name, his eldest son (who had assumed would be forgotten if he hid in the living room behind the big purple couch – Hoya has a weird obsession with purple – would be left alone, oh how wrong is he.)

 

“!” Hoya chirps, pleasantly surprised, “I thought you weren’t here, awwww, were you trying to hide from me?”

 

“No, dad I wasn’t!” Jinki – kind of – sobs out, desperately trying to run away as Sungjong laughs wickedly, grabbing his car keys and ushering Myungsoo out of the house.

 

When the door snaps shut with a click, “You guys seem really close,” Myungsoo mumbles softly, listening to Jinki's childish squeals behind them as they make way to the car, and Sungjong decides he kind of dislikes this habit, Myungsoo's habit of mumbling – cause he hates when people mumble, you can never hear them properly. 

 

“Yeah” he places the keys into the engine, quickly reversing out of his drive, Minho behind them – Myungsoo sitting awkwardly beside him, looking lost on what he should say, “I mean, he took really good care of me and all.”

 

Myungsoo nods awkwardly and the conversation just kind of dies (even Minho had opted looking outside the window instead of breaking the silence) so Sungjong kind of decides he’ll let his curiosity peek out a bit.

 

“How old were you when you had Minho?” Sungjong asks, stopping quickly at a red-light and flashes Myungsoo a charming flirty smile, “you must’ve been young, you don’t look old.”

 

“I’m only 27” Myungsoo grumbles, “’che, I know I’m getting old, and I was 20.”

 

“Really? Wow, I was right, you’re only my hyung by a year.” Lucky, is what Sungjong’s really thinking though – it’s not often I score a guy so close to my age.

 

“Oh really? Wow, you must’ve been young when Jinki came around.” Myungsoo says in astonishment, and Sungjong laughs at that.

 

“Yeah, I was really dumb back then,” he says softly, switching back to drive when the light switches back to green, “I mean I was going through a lot of stuff, and you know, it just kind of happened. Even though he’s brat number one, I don’t regret it though.”

 

Playing the daddy act. He laughs mentally, almost letting a smirk escape onto his lips, he knows it sounds bad – using his own misfortunes to score good conversations – but seriously, he doesn’t regret having Jinki… that much.

 

“How old were you?” Myungsoo asks (and Sungjong is pleased because he can feel Myungsoo radiating curiosity now).

 

“17” Sungjong replies dully, “3 years after that we had Taemin – by accident, I never really liked her, and she sure as hell didn’t like me.”

 

“Why not?”

 

He pauses – he opts for saying ‘well firstly I was just confused about my ual identity, and I couldn’t stand the smell of her ;’ but he just gives Myungsoo an awkward shrug of his shoulders, “we never got along. She did drugs, she lied all the time, and the only reason I stayed with her was because I was confused and hurt myself.”

 

“You were sad?” Minho says awkwardly from the back seat, and Sungjong nearly jumps (he had forgotten the kid) and laughs.

 

“Yup, I was sad, but I’m happy now cause I have Taeminnie and Onew.” Minho smiles at that, pleased to hear his ‘wife’s’ name come into conversation, plus making someone happy.

 

“I see” Myungsoo whispers, he says something else, but Sungjong forgot to strain his ears and it goes unheard – the conversation kind of dies there and then cause they arrive at Myungsoo’s, and Myungsoo and his son thank him before heading inside. 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Soooooo, yeah. LOL leave comments and love darlings <3 I'm thinking this story is gonna end up longer than I intend it too ;A; I mean, it's moving so slowly, so it'll probably be more than 12 chapters, we'll see.