5

Playful Proposal

 

Like a lost sheep herded home by her shepherd, she followed him. She was thankful he found her… or she found him… or maybe they found each other. How their paths have once again crossed, like that incident several years ago, while she was lost hiding from the 'it' in a game of hide-and-seek, no one knows. Whatever it is. Coincidence or fate. No one can tell.

 

Walking home together, like they used to do when they were kids, invokes the resurfacing of feelings that has been long forgotten since that time they stopped communicating with each other. Small but shocking quakes continue to torment his fast beating heart. No matter how hard he tried to keep his eyes on their track, he always find himself staring at her. She was like a magnet attracting a scrap of iron that he is. Even if he try to stay away from her, he would always be stuck in her magnetic fields. He can never defy the attraction for that would be against the law of nature.

 

She was a magnet. He was a scrap of iron. The magnet attracts the iron, he knew that for sure. But one thing he didn't know, magnetic attraction is a two way process. The magnet attracts, and she, in turn, gets attracted.

 

Dara caught him staring. His face instantly turned red. What would be more embarrassing than being caught transforming into a shiny red tomato because your childhood crush is walking side by side with you? He could have just told her that that's how his skin works- turning pink when exposed to the sun, but that would be a very obvious lie, for a skin like his - tanned by working under the sun- would be somehow immune to the sun's rays. Or maybe he could have just worn a shirt saying "Don't look at me when I transform into a tomato, I'll turn you into ashes."

 

"How are you? How was your life in Seoul?" he immediately asked to cover-up the embarrassing situation he's in.

 

"Fine. It was fine." She briefly replied. "How about you?"

 

"Fine. It was fine." He imitated her.

 

She shot him a warning glare. The rabbit has turned fierce.

 

He smirked. He was challenging her. This is a new side of the rabbit he's never seen when they were kids. Ahhh…that's right. Kids were supposed to be innocent not fierce.

 

"It may not look like it, but a lot has changed here. People came. People left. Seunghyun and the others went to the city for college. Joongki and Bom flew abroad with their parents. Dongwook hyung and Hanbyul noona has 3 kids now. A lot has changed… " He said.

 

"I see." She nodded.

 

Then the walk suddenly turned silent. No talk, just occasional glances from each other. Several thoughts running in each other's mind. It was so quiet he started to feel nervous - worrying that she might hear the loud beating of his heart. He didn't know he was worrying for nothing, for she, too, was busy listening to the drumming in her chest. 

 

They remained that way until they reached the Park's farmhouse.

 

"Thank you." She told him. "Would you like to go inside and have a cup of coffee?"

 

"Sure," he replied.

 

He was surprised with his own answer. It was as if his mouth acted before his brain could process her question.

 

"Stupid, stupid mouth," he thought.

 

-----

 

The elder Parks were at the kitchen when they arrived. Her grandmother was busy cooking breakfast, while her grandfather was nursing a cup of coffee while reading the newspaper- a typical morning scene.

 

"Oh. Good morning, Sandara. How's your morning walk?" Her grandma greeted as soon as she entered the kitchen.

 

"Hi grandma, grandpa. I bumped into an old friend while walking earlier." She said, gesturing towards Jiyong.

 

"Ah. It's the young Kwon. How are you, boy?" Grandpa said as he looked up from the paper, studying the visitor's face. Then he erupted into a hearty laugh. "We're you lost again Sandara? Ahhh… This is just like the old times. Sandara would often wander 'round the fields and get lost and Jiyong-boy would always find her and take her home."

 

"Grandpa!" Sandara said, her face turning into a shade of red.

 

"I was just kidding, child, but isn't it nice to reminisce good old memories sometimes? Come, you two, take a seat. My wife brews the best coffee."

 

They followed. Sandara took the seat beside her grandpa, Jiyong sat beside Sandara.

 

Grandmother served coffee, bread and butter, and ham and eggs. Again, the two oldies monopolized the talk over breakfast. They talked about the corn fields, the farm animals, the harvest season, and a few others. But they were careful enough not to talk about lost little girls and young farmer boys. Probably because they're afraid that a rabbit might turn into a tigress if they did so. Or maybe because the two old lovers sensed sparks between the lost girl and the young farmer boy.

 

After breakfast, Jiyong thank them and bid them goodbye, but before he run off towards the field, he didn't forget to ask, "Do you have anything to do today?"

 

Sandara shook her head.

 

"Then shall I show you around the farm or maybe the town later this day?"

 

"Sure," Sandara replied.

 

The two old lovers shared meaningful smiles as they watched the lost little girl and the young farmer boy.

 



 

a/n:

here's chap5 for y'all. Enjoy~~

tell me what you think :D