3

Playful Proposal

 

Help me." She tightened her hold on the young lads body.

 

"What's wrong? That's just a scarecrow." The boy said as he slightly pushed  her  away from his body.

 

"A scarecrow? Does it scare crows?" She said.

 

Sandara, then, slowly turned her head to check the 'monster.' With one eye closed, she slowly peeked at the immobile 'monster.' Her face lightened up when she realized that it was, indeed, a thing made of straw, with button eyes, carrot nose and old farmer clothes.

 

The young farmer watched the girl with amusement.

 

"Yes, crows and other birds too… " He said, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "…and  lost little girls too."

 

The girl's chubby cheeks turned pink and her pink little lips formed a small "O."  The boy laughed. "I'm Jiyong. What's your name?"

 

-----

 

Childhood memories that I have kept at the deepest corner of my memory chest started resurfacing as I reach my 'hiding spot' - a place free from stress, free from pollution, free from HIM.

 

With one bag at one hand, a phone without signal on the other hand, and a broken heart, I started walking towards my grandparent's farmhouse.

 

The last time I've been here was when I was seven, and I could see not much has changed. The green trees are still green, the bumpy road is still bumpy, and the vast field of corn is still vast. Nothing has changed. This is still the 'Grandma and Grandpa House' that I have always remembered.

 

Oh… Grandma and Grandpa…. I haven't seen them since last year when they visited us during Chuseok. I didn't tell them I'm coming and I'm quite nervous about their reaction. But I think a visit from their most loved granddaughter would not make them mad, right?

 

I quickened my steps as I approach the farmhouse. I just realized that I missed them so bad.

 

"Omo. Omo. Is that you, Sandara?"

 

I knew it was him. My Grandfather. No one else could own a voice like that - gentle but deep voice, which he claimed he got from serenading my grandmother every night.

 

"Grandpa." I turned to him, and smiled. Muddy pair of boots, sleeves folded up to his elbow, a hoe on his hand, wrinkles around his eyes, and a warm smile - He really is my grandfather. This is my grandfather.

 

"Come on, dear. Let's get home before it turns dark." He said grabbing my bag and leading me to the house.

 

We we're still at the front porch, when the aromatic smell of grandma's cooking greeted us. My mouth watered just with that smell, and I suddenly remembered I hadn't eaten eating since morning.

 

Grandma gave me the tightest and warmest embrace when she saw me. She said she was glad I came, but she never asked why I popped out suddenly in their place.

 

Hot tasty beef stew, and two beautiful old souls to talk with over dinner - I could not ask for more. This is all I wanted. This is all I needed.

 

Grandpa talked about his new crops, and his golden rows of corn. It will soon be harvest time, he said, and he can't wait to taste a bowl of creamy corn soup once again. Grandma said she'll not only make a bowl, but a barrel or two if he wants. Sweet old souls. I can watch them forever like this.

 

Watching my grandparents somehow makes me feel like I should not regret my ended relationship with Jae. Every girl deserves someone like grandpa - someone who'll love you more each day, hold your hand even if it's already wrinkly and rough from old age, and look at you with all the love in his eyes. And that's something Jae wouldn't be able to do. Maybe I'm just sourgraping or maybe I'm not.

 

-----

 

Dusk. Midnight. Dawn. It's four in the morning, and I'm still wide-awake. I guess a heavy heart won't really make anyone sleep. Looks like staying at bed would do my heart no good. I'd rather get myself busy with farm stuffs than lie all day remembering ugly things from the past.

 

Ignoring my dizzy head from lack of sleep, I grabbed my sweater, wore it on top of my pajamas, headed to the kitchen while trying to not to make any sound, and made a cup of coffee.

 

Deciding that nursing a cup of coffee in an old farmhouse kitchen alone is not the brightest idea; I carried my cup and started walking out of the house to do my first early morning walk ever.

 

The fast-paced life in Seoul has robbed me of all things relaxed and laid-back. Maybe this is the time I catch up with life.

 

Walking with slow, unhurried steps, I came past rows of fruitful corns. Then I walked, and walked, and walked, until the first ray of sunshine kissed my pale white cheeks, reminding me that a new day has come and the days that passed will always remain in the past.

 

I turned my heels and started to walk home, but then I remembered poor Sandara doesn't have a good sense of direction. North. East. West. South. The sun rises in the east and sets in west. That's all I know. Now, where do I go? If I walk straight down this aisle of golden corns, will I find my grandpa's home?

 

There's no harm in trying, they say. If I ever lose my way while walking down the aisle of corns, screaming to the top of my lungs, so that they'll find me is the easiest way.

 

So I walked, and walked, and walked, but trying to walk leisurely like what I did earlier is not very easy, especially when you're lost and when you feel someone following you.

 

Flashes of scenes from a movie I've seen rushed to my mind. That movie with something bones… bones… bones… I can't remember the name. That girl with a name like a fish was and slain at the heart of a field of corn.

 

Lovely Bones, that is!

 

I quickened my steps. Faster. Faster. Until I started to run.  If I can go as fast as the light even if I break my legs, I would, but that's beyond my human powers. I can only go as fast as a rabbit being chased by a wolf, but the rabbit is a turtle when compared with the wolf's running speed. Soon, the rabbit found herself at the paws of the wolf.

 

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" The wolf's thunderous voice rang through the rabbit ears.

 

The rabbit turned around and found herself staring at a pair of dark familiar eyes.