Chapter 38

Lunatic Shadow

 

"What? Woohyun woke up??" Sungyeol uttered wide eyed as he tried to communicate well with the nurse over the phone.

 

He quickly hung up and pulled Myungsoo out of his room. Taking a jacket with him, he left the house with Myungsoo trailing behind him. "When did he wake up? Did you ask?"

Sungyeol shook his head, taking a step inside the car. "I don’t know Myungie. Stop asking me, I'm not his nurse !"

 

He then started driving fast to the hospital with Myungsoo trying to contact Woohyun's parents to tell them the good news. "Should I tell our friends about it too? Seong eun. Maybe I should tell her." Myungsoo uttered as he started punching in some digits on his phone.

"Pfft. Calm down, calm down Myungie." he told himself when he realized he was already dialing the wrong numbers.

 

After 15 minutes of driving, they arrived at the hospital where Woohyun was confined. They both rushed inside the room, seeing Woohyun's smile welcoming them into his cave. He couldn’t yet speak, but he can move his fingers and his eyes had already fluttered open. He can smile, he can breathe normally, but no voice would come out of his mouth-- not yet.

 

"Woohyun Woohyun you're alive !!" Sungyeol raised both his hands up as he sprinted towards the helpless patient.

 

Woohyun could only do a simple radiant smile for his friends. It's been too long since they last saw him smiling like an idiot. "God, this stupid Woohyun turned mute !" Sungyeol sniveled. He was so happy seeing Woohyun physically alive, but it somehow sent him a bit of disappointment when he found out he couldn’t make the effort to produce some voice yet.

 

"Is that even possible?" Myungsoo frantically let out a sigh as he sat on one of the chairs inside the room. They all waited for Woohyun's parents patiently. "Guess so." he muttered, answering his own question.

 

==================================================================================================

 

Time passed by so quickly in a glance that everything seemed to be on fast forward to you. Minwoo's funeral had ended two days ago and the reason behind his death remained unsolved. You were able to meet his parents and you were lucky enough not to be blamed by the accident. Everything went smoothly as planned.

 

A week and a half had passed since the educational trip. You had to admit, you would smile for a second when you would suddenly remember about Minwoo's jokes, even the arguments you had with him would bring a little curve on your lips. You were regretful about his death. You shouldn’t have left him there on the mountain because you stayed with him, he'd still be alive today.

 

"He was not able to tell me about his secrets, we were only starting to become real friends." you mumbled as you doodled on Eunji's notebook. Your thoughts were aimlessly floating in the air. Your surrounding felt so unalive.

 

"He hasn’t told you about the letters yet. That's what confuses me up until now. The first letter. The KILLER note." Eunji replied. She was seated right behind you, sticking her nose over your shoulder as she spoke.

You lifted your head up as you suddenly remembered about the note. "KILLER.." you whispered on your soft voice. "I wasn’t able to ask him about that." you added up.

 

Eunji leaned back on her chair as she said, "Maybe it is true then. You got a killer smile baby."

You let out a sigh, you knew there was something else. And that made you more than regretful. "I was able to talk to him.. About things during the trip. But I still have a lot to ask him." you placed your pen down and closed the notebook back to Eunji.

 

"Hmm.. Why don’t we go out later? Karaoke or, dinner outside? It's been a long time when we last did that." Eunji tried to bring you some smiles. She could see how down you looked.

You turned to look at her with a smile on your face as you said, "I know you're trying to cheer me up. But, Youngmin's going to pick me up later so, maybe next time."

Eunji pouted as she sent you a quick and light flick on your forehead. "Whatever. Go on and have some fun with your beloved."

 

Classes ended in a bit. You ran towards the locker room to get some things, and to place some things back. Eunji had already gone home even before the bell would ring. She said she had to get some package opened today and it's the most exciting thing for her to do.

 

You opened your locker door carelessly, you were somehow excited to go home and see Youngmin that day. A week earlier you became scared of him, but then you found out that he only needed an explanation of the truth from you.

 

When you were about to place the last book you had in your hands inside your locker, you noticed something stuck in between the books you left there that morning. It was something blue in color-- a note.

 

You were surprised. "How would--" you uttered to speak as your body started to shiver indistinctly, sending goose bumps all over your body. It was not the same with the two notes you got from Minwoo, this one's different.

 

PROXIMUS.

 

That's what was written on the tiny sheet of blue paper. Again, another one of those mysterious notes. But how-- how was that possible? Minwoo's dead, and he was the only person who had the guts to open your locker without you knowing it. You stared at the blue paper in your hand. Handwriting's the same.. has not changed. It's from the same person, but again, Minwoo's dead. But what exactly does it mean?

 

You kept the note inside your pocket as you dashed your way out of the school. You knew that Youngmin was waiting for you and you couldn’t spare another second and make him wait out on such a freezing afternoon.

 

"Did you wait too long?" you asked as you slung your backpack on your left shoulder.

Youngmin shook his head and said, "Not at all."

You sent him back a smile before you held onto his hand for warmth. "I'm sorry, I feel so cold." you mumbled as you hid your other hand inside your thick jacket.

 

Youngmin let out a chuckle before removing the scarf he had wrapped around his neck, and wrapping it around yours. It was a red scarf and it sure was really warm. "Wow, thank you, thank you.." you muttered in gratitude before walking towards the nearest bus stop.

 

While you two were taking a nice walk, you played with your voice. "If the weather remains this cold for the next few days, I think I'm gonna lose my voice." you uttered, holding onto your neck and rubbing it lightly.

Youngmin smiled saying, "So what? You'd still be alive."

You glared at him before hitting him on the shoulder, "You don’t want to hear my voice anymore?"

He fluffed your hair, making it look messy and playfully pinching your cheeks. "It's not like that."

 

Several minutes later, you arrived at such a prestigious- looking restaurant. It made you turn speechless in awe because it was your first time, seeing such a beautiful place. "Like it?" Youngmin asked as he held onto your hand, leading you inside the restaurant. He had a confirmed reservation and it didn’t even take you a minute to wait until you two would get to your seats.

 

"Say, what do we have today?" you asked, clueless about why he took you out on such a wonderful dinner. "If I knew you'd be taking me here today, I could've gone home and changed on some better outfit." you uttered in complaint as you enjoyed the ambience, the surrounding was giving off.

 

There were golden decorations all over the place, making it look sophisticated and inviting. There was a man playing the piano, and a lady playing the violin. The music continued to play in your ears.

 

"How about we order some food already?" Youngmin asked, raising his fingers to call on a waiter.

 

You ordered some food, those you haven’t tried eating yet while Youngmin ordered something different. "Everything looked really appetizing.." you mumbled after the waiter had taken your orders and gone off.

Youngmin let out a chuckle, twinging on your irresistible cheeks. You whined, gently rubbing your cheeks and puffing some air out. "You keep on hurting me ~ you're becoming a sadist Youngmin ~" you maundered on your whining voice.

 

Meanwhile, Sungyeol and Myungsoo consulted the doctor about the reason as to why Woohyun could not yet speak. The specialist told them that it has something to do with emotional stress, and most probably an upper respiratory infection. It was only a minor situation and in a few days, Woohyun's voice would probably go back.

 

"Myungie. It's almost 9 o'clock. Did Seong eun call you yet?" Sungyeol asked. He was standing by the window outside the room , waiting until the doctor's and Woohyun's parents' discussion would come to an end.

Myungsoo shook his head, "She texted me. But that was during lunch break."

 

"Can you call her? My phone's already out of battery."

"Yeah sure."

 

After dinner was over, you and Youngmin took the bus home. Of course he had to take you back to your house safely, or your brother would totally get mad.

 

"Say, since when.. Since when did you stop calling me oppa?" breaking the ice, Youngmin suddenly asked.

You could feel your heart beat rapidly, no one has ever asked you about that, not even your brother, not even Myungsoo. Because they didn’t care, as long as you're with them, they'd be fine.

"Uh-- do I have to tell you about that.. Now?" you mumbled as you tried to look away from him.

"Yeah you do. I want to know, so you should tell me."

"Uh-- I don’t think.. I don’t think there's a reason behind that. I just stopped."

 

"Liar." Youngmin uttered, slightly shaking your hand off of his. He even looked away from you and placed a bit of a space in between you two.

"Are you mad?" you asked. He did not speak. He continued to walk on like he didn’t hear a word you said. "So childish.." you thought.

 

You arrived back home hearing nothing from Youngmin. You felt sorry for not telling him about what he wanted to know.

 

"Uh-- thanks. Thanks for today." you muttered, before turning your back at him, taking the key from your bag and fitting it in the knob before you. "Would you like to come inside?" you asked. Youngmin shook his head before saying, "Maybe next time. I'd better get going."

 

He didn’t know you’d be all alone inside the house today. And you had no idea as to why his mood suddenly changed, except for the fact that you might have pissed him off earlier. But nonetheless, you were grateful about the dinner he treated you with.

 

You got changed on some comfortable clothes before dashing downstairs and to the living room. You got the home phone in your hands, waiting for a call from either your brother, or Myungsoo. You had no idea that they're going to come home late, and you were scared of being alone so late in the evening.

 

You laid down on the couch after getting all the doors to the house locked. You stared blankly in the ceiling, hoping that some good thoughts would come striking your brain. You decided to take a nap while waiting for the two guys to come home. It's nearly 10 in the evening.

 

==================================================================================================

 

The next morning, you woke up surprisingly on bed. It was a Saturday morning and you were happy to spend some time with other people that day. You got up to fix yourself before sprinting downstairs for some breakfast. You looked very lively and you were so full of energy.

 

"Who took me inside my room last night?" you uttered, slamming your hands on the dining table in a good way.

Myungsoo was quietly munching on some sandwich as he raised his hand.

 

You were surprised. You thought your brother was the only person who would do such effort for you. "Oh, thank you."

"You're so heavy. I suggest that you go on a diet." Myungsoo mumbled after chewing in his last bite.

You stared at him with annoyance. Sitting down on an empty chair, you asked Myungsoo to get you something to eat. Like a boss. "Get me some milk Kim Myungsoo."

 

He obeyed you without any complaints. He even got some sandwich prepared for you. You let out a chuckle, thinking how stupid he was. "There, there. Very good Kim Myungsoo." you applauded in awe before gulping down your throat, everything he had prepared for you.

 

You didn’t notice your brother watching from behind. He walked passed Myungsoo, whacking your head in haste, making you blush in embarrassment. "What did you do that for ?!" you yelled at him, not noticing about your high pitched voice.

 

Sungyeol glared at you, raising an eyebrow before saying, "Go get changed and visit Woohyun at the hospital. He wanted to see you. I don’t know why."

Your face glowed in happiness as you chimed, "Really? He woke up?"

"Yeah. But he couldn’t speak. He needed some more time until his voice would go back." said Myungsoo.

You wrinkled your eyebrows, "Then.. How did you know that he wanted to see me?"

 

"He can write. His hands are shaky, but the letters he write are quite readable."

"Ah, okay then."

 

An hour later, you got prepared on some nice clothes. A yellow top and a white skirt matched with a pair of shoes of the same color. That same morning, you texted Youngmin, telling him about your plans for the rest of the day. He had to go somewhere with his mom so he wouldn’t be able to join you with the visitation. He actually insisted on making you stay at home, and wait until he could spare some time to go with you but your brother, didn’t let that happen. Sungyeol told you that it should be fine to go alone, as long as it's just a ride away.

 

You walked on your tiptoes towards the wardrobe, pulling out your favorite red sweater and the scarf from last night-- the one which Youngmin lent you.

 

"I'm off." you muttered as you walked out of the house, quite absorbed by the flying kiss Myungsoo sent you before you moved out from the living room. "Aish ~ that Kim Myungsoo never failed to make himself look like an idiot."

 

You walked along the alley on such a cold morning. But it sure was nice, walking alone once again. You saw parents trying to stop their children from playing outside, there were some high school girls maybe on their way to cram school, there were beggars, forever asking for some penny, a couple walking hand in hand towards the bus where you were headed to as well. All sorts of people can be seen in the morning, because activities start during the day right? And you had yours too.

 

You suddenly remembered about your bittersweet past. The past you had with him. During this kind of weather, Kwangmin would always ask you out to drink some hot coffee and have some nice breakfast with him. He would pick you up at 7 in the morning, even exerting the effort to pull you out from bed. He would sometimes surprise you with a box of donuts and some melted chocolate drink for you and for your brother. He even bought you the sweater you're wearing right now, because you used to get sick a lot during this kind of season.

 

"Since when.. Since when did I decided to forget about you.. Like you were never a part of my life?" you tried to ask yourself. You had been very eager to forget about him when people made you realized that he will continue to ruin your life if you continued to think about him all the time. Your brother, Myungsoo, and Youngmin. They would always tell you that to think of him every day would kill you slowly and that he's nothing but poison. But if you think deeply about it, will he like it if you completely throw your memories of him away? Or would he rather stay in your mind forever, giving you the pain engaged with the memories of him? It's too hard to decide, but you knew, all this time, you knew that your answer will always be on that side in which, the people around you never agreed with.

 

You had to admit, you're starting to miss him again.

 

You shook your head and hit it lightly with your hands saying, "Aigoo. This isn't right. I can't go back to how I was before, not now. Never."

 

You hopped inside the bus and stared at the jam- packed vehicle you were in. Many people rode the bus that morning, and you weren't able to get a vacant seat for yourself. Since when did Saturday become so crowded, especially in the morning?

Your favorite seats on the back were already occupied, so there was not a single chance for you to enjoy the ride. Obviously, you were on standing position, holding onto the handrails to keep your balance.

 

Half an hour later, you arrived at the hospital, your knees wobbling and numb from standing in the bus for too long. You went inside, only to be greeted by Woohyun's parents, and a friend of his trying to get him a nutritious meal.

 

"Hi. Good morning." you greeted them back politely, suddenly realizing that you didn’t bring anything for Woohyun at all. You just let out a weak smile before walking towards the patient who seemed to have gotten up just a moment ago.

 

"He had been looking for you as soon as he woke up." Woohyun's father said.

You smiled at him and said, "My brother told me about that too, so I came."

"Then maybe we should leave you two first for some privacy." he muttered, pulling his wife, and Woohyun's friend out of the room to give you two some time alone.

 

"Hey." you beamed, poking Woohyun's cheek and shaking him lightly. "Sungyeol told me about your voice. Is it there yet?" you asked.

Woohyun shook his head with his utmost effort. He meant to say no, his voice wasn't back yet.

You nodded and left your lips partly open to show awe, "Ah, I see. So can I bully you as much I want to?" you mumbled.

 

Woohyun let out a weak smile as he tried to move his fingers.

 

"Hm? What do you want?" you asked as you watched his hand raised for a signal.

He slowly pointed to a board on the table. His hands were shaking so you pushed it back to bed, "I get it, I get it. Don’t stress yourself too much alright?" you uttered before you stood up, reaching for the board he was pointing to.

 

You sat back beside him on bed and asked, "Okay. Here's the board. What do you want me to do with it?"

 

Woohyun then again, tried to raise his fingers, doing the hard job pointing at a pen just right behind you.

 

"A pen?" you asked, and he nodded.

 

"Okay Woohyun, you greasy person. What do you want me to do with a pen and a board? You want me to draw your face?" you asked, trying to a little.

 

Woohyun let out a huge smile on his face as he asked for the pen on your hand. "Now what? You want to practice writing? Go back to kinder Woohyun." you uttered with a sly smirk on your face and a hint of mockery on your voice.

 

He stared at you for a moment, like he wanted you to listen to him if ever he had the voice. You tried to be serious about it. You stared back at him, trying to read his mind. You could somehow understand that he wanted to tell you something. Something important that doesn’t require the presence of your big smiles.

 

With his uttermost effort, he started writing on the board using the pen you gave him. Myungsoo was right. His hands were really shaky, but you could still understand the letters he was writing even if it looked like the handwriting of a 5-year old kid. You curiously waited until he would finish writing, but the longer the time it took him, the more it scared you.

 

And in the end, this was what he had to say :

 

                      YOUNGMIN TRIED TO KILL ME.

 

=============================================================================================================

 

 

                             

 

                              *** OMO. I'm speechless.

                                    Please do comment and subscribe.***

 

 

*** i won't be around for the rest of the weekend, until Monday i think :)

off to some summer outing with my sisters. :) enjoy the weekend pipol :3 ***