Chapter 2

Once Upon A Time

 

Just to clear things up, this is a chapter about Yoona's backround, not what's happening in the present.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A young woman was nervously pacing around her room when she heard a knock on the door. She pulled herself together and told the person to come in.

“Yoona, are you okay?” her father asked when he walked in.

“No, daddy, I’m not. I can’t marry him!”

“I know you don’t want to, but-”

“Then why are you making me?” she interrupted her father.

“It’s not me, it’s your mother.”

“All she cares about is money. Daddy, you care about me, right?”

“Of course.”

“Then do something! You can’t let her ruin my life like that.”

“She’s trying to help out the family.”

“By making my life miserable?”

Yoona sighed and sat on her bed after her father didn’t answer her. The king’s wife died a couple of years ago and now the kingdom needs a new queen and the king’s daughter needs a mother. Unfortunately for Yoona, her mother was the first to suggest her as the king’s new wife. Yoona’s father was the only one who actually cared about Yoona’s thoughts. So when he said there’s nothing he can do, she knew she had no choice.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

The date was settled. She was a couple of weeks away from getting married. The king invited her to his castle. When she came, the only thing he talked about was the kingdom and his status. He complimented her beauty, but only to say that having a beautiful wife makes him seem more powerful. Yoona saw right away, this was going to be a terrible life. The only thing she would ever be to him is a trophy wife.

She had the chance to meet his daughter that day, too. She was a cute, little 9-year-old. She wanted to really get to know her, because, after all, she will be her stepmother.

“Hi.” Yoona quietly said as she walked to her.

“Hello.” She answered.

“You’re Snow, right? Snow White?”

“Yes. Are you’re the one who’s marrying my dad?”

“Uhm, yes, I am. But I want you to know, I’m not here to replace your mother or anything like that.”

“Then why are you here?” she asked curiously. “You don’t even know my dad.”

“Well, it’s complicated.”

“I’m smart, I’ll understand.” Yoona saw there was no escaping from Snow’s questions.

“I don’t really want to marry your dad. My mother is making me. My dad, who was always there for me, says he can’t do anything. Now I have to marry a man I don’t even love.”

“I’m sorry.” Snow muttered.

“It’s okay.” Yoona said, then noticed Sulli was playing with a piece of paper in her hands. It was a letter. My dearest Sulli it said.

“Sulli?” Yoona asked.

Snow quickly folded the paper, not wanting Yoona to see it. “That’s… what my mom used to call me. She said Snow White doesn’t fit me, Sulli does.”

“Oh, I see. Do you miss your mom?”

Sulli nodded.

“I’ve never lost anybody, so I don’t know how you feel, but I can tell you your mom’s in a better place now. It’s not the end of the world. Don’t let it destroy you.”

“Thanks.”

A maid came in the room and told Snow that her father wants to talk to her. Snow got up and started walking to the door.

“Bye, Yoona.”

“Bye, Snow.”

Snow turned around. “You can call me Sulli.” She smiled and walked out.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

It was the day before the wedding. Yoona was trying out her wedding dress and her mother was helping. Sulli was just sitting and staring at Yoona.

“You know what, I’m going to call the dressmaker, see if she can fix anything.” Yoona’s mother said and went out of the room to find the dressmaker.

Sulli noticed Yoona was smiling happily.

“Yoona, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“You seem happy. I thought you were sad because you were getting married.”

“Can’t a girl be happy a day before her wedding day?” Yoona asked happily twirling around with her dress.

“Not when it’s a fixed marriage and you hated the idea of it a day ago.”

Yoona came up to Sulli. “Ok, can you keep a secret?”

Sulli nodded confused.

“I’m not getting married tomorrow!” Yoona exclaimed.

“What? How?” Sulli asked, now even more confused.

“My dad and I have a plan. We’re going to run away tonight. He said he knows people who live in a village nearby and that they’ll hide me.”

“Wow, that’s…” Sulli didn’t know how to react, “great!”

Yoona hugged her. Yoona’s mother came in and saw them.

“Well, isn’t this great. See, I knew you were going to change your mind about marriage as soon as you saw yourself in a wedding dress.”

She brought the dressmaker. “Ok, you two go to the other room and fix the dress. Snow and I are going to wait her.”

As soon as Yoona and the dressmaker walked out, Yoona’s mother shot a cold look at Sulli.

“Spill it!”

“What?” Sulli asked completely scared.

“Yoona hates that I’m making her get married and now she’s all cheery and bubbly? What happened?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Listen, Snow, I am Yoona’s mother. I have to protect her, whatever it takes. So I need you to tell me what’s going on with my little girl.” She asked suddenly acting innocent.

“Yoona and her dad are planning on escaping tonight.”

“Good girl.” She tapped Sulli’s head and smiled evily.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

It was completely dark outside when Yoona decided to sneak out. Her father was waiting for her outside. When she greeted her father, all the torches outside lit up. They both turned around only to see Yoona’s mother here.

“Mother.”

“Yes, my dear child? Did you, by any chance, forget to tell me you were going out? And without even saying goodbye. I didn’t raise you to be like that.”

“Boa, let’s be reasonable.” Yoona’s father said to his wife.

“Reasonable?! The reasonable thing to do would be Yoona becoming the queen she deserves to be, the queen I raised her to be. She’s throwing away her future and you’re helping her!”

“She doesn’t want this! Just let her be herself.” Yoona’s father begged.

“I am doing what’s best for her! And you’re only getting in her way.” Boa said as she pulled out a dagger.

“Mother!” Yoona yelled terrified.

Boa pushed Yoona away using magic and walked closer to her husband. He wasn’t able to move.

“This is for your daughter.” Boa said and stabbed him in his chest.

“Daddy!” Yoona cried out in horror. She quickly ran to him and started shaking him, hoping he’ll wake up.

“Honey, you have to understand, I did this for you.” Boa explained, “You should be thanking me.”

Yoona looked up to see her mother, trying to understand her logic. “Thanking you?”

“Well, actually thanking that Snow girl. She was the one who told me about your father forcing you to run and hide, killing your bright future.” Boa said as she cold-heartedly cleaned the dagger.

Yoona no longer felt sadness and grief. She was angry. Not at herself, not at her father, not at her mother. She was angry at Sulli. She never felt that much hatred in her entire life. Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she was already making her own plan. She was going to destroy Sulli, she didn’t care about anything else. She got up and walked away from her father’s corpse.

“Come on, mother, we should get going. I need rest. It is my wedding day tomorrow, after all.” She said completely cold and serious.

Boa smiled. She had done right. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

So now you know who Snow White and Yoona are. Sorry for making Boa the evil one, I've never planned on doing that. Can you guys guess who Yuri's gonna be, cause you'll see her soon?