Chapter 2

GD Got Married

 

 

The segment opened with the camera panning around a cream colored building.

 

“Oh! The place looks familiar,” Miseon observed curiously.

 

The camera then decided to shed some light on the episode’s location, gliding across the words “SMTOWN”.


“Ahhh, it’s SM’s Building,” Nayoung said.

 

After the introduction of the location, the camera proceeded to reveal Jiyong’s face, zoom out revealed him to be sitting on a couch inside the SM Office’s lobby.

 

“He’s waiting at SM’s Building?!” Jungmin exclaimed.

 

“Wouldn’t that be a bit weird? Since YG and SM are competitors and all?” Hyungsoo asked.

 

Jiyong craned his neck to see if anyone was coming out of the door leading further into the building but was mindful not to move too much so as not to raise suspicion from the receptionist who was not very discreet in her watching.

 

 

 

“Today, because we’ve been unable to see each other due to work, I’ve decided to give her a surprise visit and, if she’s up for it, maybe a surprise date,” Jiyong informed the interviewer.

 

“What were you thinking of as you waited in SM’s lobby?”

 

“How tactful,” Hwisoon quipped in.

 

“I thought that... it was... nice!” Jiyong answered slowly. Then, he smiled. An awkwardly wide smile.

 

 

 

“They’re... taking some time, huh?” Jiyong tried to start a conversation with the intimidating receptionist who was arranging papers on her desk while keeping a rather close eye on him. “SNSD, I mean.”

 

“Yes,” was the receptionist’s curt answer, as well as the end of the conversation.

 

“This would have gone differently if the receptionist was a young woman and not an ahjumma,” Jungmin said with an exasperated grimace.

 

“If she were a young woman, I think she would be the one trying to start a conversation with him,” Hyungsoo laughed.

 

“If she were a young woman, she would already be letting him into the offices,” Hwisoon corrected Hyungsoo.

 

“He looks like a gangster[1]! That’s why the receptionist is even colder to him!” said Nayoung.

 

“He must have just come from a schedule. It’s okay to look like that at YG because they’re a hip hop company but SM’s different. They’re artists go for cleaner looks,” Miseon explained.

 

Jiyong nodded awkwardly before settling back onto the couch.

 

It wasn’t very long after that when voices started resounding from the door.

 

“Omooooo, I’m so tiiiiiiiired!” an exceptionally high-pitched voice[2] could be heard complaining.

 

“Sleepy...” another voice [3] moaned unhappily.

 

“I’M SO HUNGRY!!!” another female voice[4] complained, unabashedly loud.

 

“It’s bad to eat at this late hour, Sooyoung-unnie,” a gentler voice[5] told her unnie.

 

“Let her be, Joohyun-ah. That person doesn’t get fat anyway,” another voice[6] grumbled.

 

Jiyong sat up expectantly as SNSD filed into the room, one by one. The girls, on the other hand, did not seem to notice him.

 

“I really like this episode,” Jungmin declared happily, earning agreement from an equally unashamed Hwisoon. Hyungsoo laughed at his hyungs while the women were unimpressed.

 

“Creepy ahjussis...” Miseon mumbled with a grimace.

 

“Unnie, do you have some snacks? I’m really starving!” Sooyoung asked the receptionist who had stood in greeting to them. The ahjumma smiled at her gently.

 

“I have some crackers, if you’re alright with them?” she asked, earning extremely eager nods from Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoung’s fine with anything as long as it’s food,” Tiffany told the receptionist. The receptionist smiled at her and nodded.

 

“Oh! Also, Heesun-sshi has a--”

 

“Omo!” Seohyun cried in surprise. The girls then turned to see what had caused their usually calm Seohyun to cry out as she did and found themselves just as surprised.

 

“Hyungboonim[7]!” Seohyun greeted Jiyong with a formal bow.

 

“Cheojenim[8],” Jiyong greeted her back just as formally. 

 

“Cheojenim,” he repeated his greeting to the other members who slightly recovered from their shock to greet him back.

 

“Jiyongie-hyungboonim! Are you here to visit Heesunnie-unnie?” Sunny asked excitedly, the tiredness she had previously complained about gone completely.

 

“Well... yes.” Jiyong’s somewhat reluctant answer immediately earned squeals from Sunny, Tiffany, and Sooyoung, and wide grins from other members who were either gentle, non-squealers, by nature (Seohyun and Hyoyeon) or simply too tired to join Sunny, Tiffany, Sooyoung (Yoona, Jessica, and Yuri).

 

“Is that for her too?!” Sooyoung asked, pointing towards the plastic bag of snacks Jiyong had placed on the couch. Sunny squealed again when Jiyong answered in the affirmative while Sooyoung and Tiffany gawked at the snacks.

 

“Can I have some?!” Sooyoung asked immediately. Jiyong was about to answer when Tiffany interrupted him.

 

“Have you heard of courting the family before the girl? You have to consider our opinion of you or we won’t allow you to continue seeing Heesunie-unnie,” Tiffany told him in a serious tone although it was obvious that she was teasing.

 

“Ah, right, right,” Jiyong mumbled to himself before handing out what little snacks the plastic bag contained. By the time the plastic bag was emptied, all girls had at least one snack.

 

“Kansamnida[9], Jiyong/Jiyongie-hyungboonim~!” the girls thanked him cheerfully before digging into their snacks. Jiyong smiled at them nervously.

 

“Jiyongie-hyungboonim is so nice~!” Sunny declared happily while she munched on her crackers.

 

“Aigoo, I want a boyfriend who will visit me at work too,” Yuri mumbled jealously.

 

“Who has a boyfriend who visits her at work?”

 

Jiyong and the girl’s jumped when a slightly high, male voice[10] interrupted their gathering. They were then joined by some members of Super Junior, namely Leeteuk, Donghae, and Eunhyuk.

 

“Oh! It’s G-Dragon!” Eunhyuk cried in surprise once he spotted the now-nervous Jiyong.

 

“GD!” Donghae hollered, purposely hitting Eunhyuk with his rapper-like hand movements.

 

“Oh? We sound the same! GD!” Jungmin said happily before repeating his holler from the first episode.

 

“It’s cuter when Donghae-sshi does it,” Miseon told him flatly.

 

“A-Annyeong haseyo,” Jiyong bowed to the formally, which they returned although in a less tense manner.

 

“Oh, that’s right! You’re now married to Heesunnie!” Leeteuk said in realization.

 

“Ohhh, so Heesunnie’s the one with the boyfriend who visits her at work,” Eunhyuk realized.

 

“Where’s our snacks?” Donghae asked, placing an arm around Eunhyuk’s neck and his chin on his shoulder casually. Jiyong’s eyes went wide. Leeteuk laughed loudly at this.

 

“E-Eh?” he asked nervously.

 

“You gave your cheojes snacks so where’s ours?” Donghae asked in his usual serious/playful tone.

 

“Heechul-hyung is Heesunnie’s brother, right? And Heechul-hyung’s is a member of Super Junior so we’re your cheonams[11],” Eunhyuk explained seriously but obviously trying to hold back his laughter. Leeteuk only laughed louder, clapping his hands in glee.

 

“So, because Heechul-sshi is in Super Junior, GD’s in-laws are SNSD and Super Junior?” Jungmin said with a laugh.

 

“22 siblings-in-law?” Hwisoon counted. “Good luck to him.”

 

“He should be happy that Heechul-sshi isn’t there,” Hyungsoo laughed.

 

“Who said he’s my maeje[12]? I haven’t accepted this marriage yet.”

 

“OMO!” Hyungsoo cried.

 

“You spoke too soon, Hyungsoo-sshi,” Miseon told him.

 

To Jiyong’s utter horror, the person who stepped through the door was, indeed, Kim Heechul in all of his intimidating glory. Jiyong almost shivered in fear as Heechul stared him down, so obviously unimpressed by his presence.

 

“Omo, omo! The real brother in law has arrived,” Eunhyuk and Leeteuk giggled to themselves as the two of them scooted closer to SNSD and further from Heechul. Donghae didn’t seem as amused of the predicament but stepped back as well. 

 

Whatever hopes Eunhyuk and Leeteuk had of lightening the tension with their joking faded with Heechul’s unrelenting stare on the very nervous Jiyong.

 

 

 

“He was really intimidating,” Jiyong told the interviewer seriously. “If I felt scared of Eunhyuk-hyung[13], Donghae-hyung, and Leeteuk-hyung, I was terrified of Heechul-sunbaenim[14]. His gaze was really like a predator’s, like he was daring me to hurt his sister or something like that.

 

“After that I thought, ‘When my sister gets married or gets a boyfriend, I want to be like Heechul-hyung so my maebu[15] will be scared of hurting my sister,” Jiyong finished his explanation with a sort of determined look on his face.

 

“‘Sunbaenim’?”

 

“Well... yes... because he didn’t tell me that I can call him ‘Hyung’ and I don’t think he wants to be called ‘cheonam’ since he doesn’t really accept my marriage with his sister...” Jiyong answered nervously.

 

 

 

“You’re going to take Heesun on a date?” Heechul asked flatly.

 

“I-If she’s up for it then--”

 

“She wouldn’t be able to refuse if you ask, even if she’s tired. After a long day of work, anyone would be tired and only want to eat and go to bed. You’re an idol too, aren’t you? You should know this,” Heechul told him, his voice devoid of any humor. Everyone, most especially Jiyong, was starting to become uncomfortable with the borderline deadly aura Heechul was giving off.

 

“Yah Heechul-hyung, you’re seriously scaring him. Stop it,” Donghae told Heechul, a small frown on his face.

 

“Yah, Kim Heechul, who are you terrorizing now?” 

 

“Finally!” Miseon cried in relief.

 

“Please save Jiyong-sshi!” Nayoung cried.

 

“That’s why they’ve been quiet...” Hwisoon mumbled to the men of the studio.

 

Through the door came the person Jiyong had been waiting for the whole time. Heesun, as Heechul had said, came in looking very tired but maintained a smirk on her face. Beside her was Taeyeon who was looking at the situation curiously. 

 

“Your husband looks like a gangster,” Heechul told his sister, the hostility in his voice gone and replaced by a teasing.

 

“A lot of people considers him a fashion icon,” Heesun replied coolly.

 

“You just saw that on the internet.”

 

“Yes, I did.”

 

“Did you also read that he’s a renowned bad boy?”

 

“I prefer knowing them in person rather than stalking them on the internet like you so obviously do.”

 

“Well, he is. I don’t like him.”

 

“It’s a good thing you’re not marrying him, then,” Heesun brushed her brother off, taking Jiyong’s arm to lead him away.

 

“YAH! HEESUN-AH!” Heechul yelled after them. “KIM HEESUN! DON’T MESS AROUND AND GO HOME!”

 

“YOU GO HOME! I’M 25[16]! I’LL DO WHAT I WANT!” Heesun yelled back, sticking her tongue out at her brother immaturely. 

 

“Did you bring a car?” Heesun asked Jiyong urgently as their pace grew quicker.

 

“My Manager-hyung brought me here,” he told her.

 

YAH! KIM HEESUN!” Heechul could be heard yelling after them.

 

“Where?” she asked.

 

“At the parking lot.” With that said, Heesun ran ahead, pulling Jiyong’s hand along to make him run as well.

 

“Aigooo~ So romantic~” Miseon and Nayoung cooed.

 

“I liked this episode better when Heechul-sshi was badgering him,” Jungmin muttered.

 

They neared Jiyong’s van which the manager was leaning against. He stared at them in surprise.

 

“START THE CAR!” Jiyong told his manager, opening the van’s door for Heesun and laughing all the way.

 

The both of them jumped into the van and it sped away. They looked back at the building and broke out into relieved laughter when they saw no one following them.

 

“Why did we do that?” Jiyong asked her in between laughs.

 

“I don’t know!” Heesun said, bursting out into another fit of laughter at the total nonsense of it all.

 

 

 

“That is definitely one of the best nights I’ve had all week and it’s all thanks to him,” Heesun told the interviewer with a gentle smile. 

 

“She looks really happy,” Miseon commented gently.

 

“Come on, I saw that guy and I still call that night one of my good nights! That’s a big thing!”

 

 

 

“So, where are we going?” Heesun asked cutely, fatigue almost completely gone. The way she was glowing with expectation seemed to be making Jiyong look guilty with the decision he made.

 

“We’re going... to your dorm.”

 

“Bwoh[17]?” Heesun exclaimed in surprise. “Wae[18] wae? Did that guy scare you or something?”

 

“No, of course not!” Jiyong denied.

 

 

 

Did Heechul-sshi scare you?”

 

“Maybe... just a little...?” Jiyong answered with a small smile. “Maybe... a bit of a lot...?”

 

 

 

“I just figured that you must be really tired from work so you should go home to rest,” Jiyong told her gently.

 

“So... you came all the way to SM... to give me a ride to my house?” Heesun raised her brow at him.

 

“To give you a comfortable ride,” Jiyong corrected her. Heesun frowned.

 

“Let’s go somewhere. I’m not tired yet,” she insisted.

 

“You want to be tired?” Jiyong laughed.

 

“I want to go somewhere,” she said firmly.

 

“We’ll go to your dorm, then,” Jiyong grinned at her. Heesun frowned, unamused.

 

“You can be really annoying when you want to be, huh?” she huffed like a petulant child. “I should’ve just went home with Taeyeon....”

 

“It’s more comfortable here,” Jiyong tried to convince her.

 

“It’s the same,” Heesun replied.

 

“It’s less stuffy.”

 

“Your presence is making it stuffy.” 

 

Jiyong frowned, now realizing that his wife was truly upset and not just playing. He looked around the van. His eyes lit up when they fell on a familiar lever.

 

Heesun cried out in surprise when the backrest she was slouching against suddenly disappeared. She flopped onto the seat that Jiyong had turned to a pseudo-bed.

 

“It’s comfy now, right?” Jiyong grinned at her cheekily.

 

“It’s still stuffy,” Heesun replied, trying to remain mad but ending up with with the corners of her lips twitching upwards.

 

The two of them lied there quietly, simply staring up at the ceiling. 

 

...

 

“Please don’t do anything that will get me scolded.”

 

All tension was released when the couple bursted out laughing at the driving manager’s plea.

 

“Hyung! Don’t say embarrassing things like that!” Jiyong whined as Heesun continued laughing. Jiyong groaned and leaned back on his elbows. He looked at Heesun who had to her side, facing him, while she was laughing. She opened her eyes in the midst of her giggling. Then, their eyes met.

 

“Aigoo~” Miseon and Nayoung cooed as they watched the couple laugh nervously as they avoided each other’s eyes shyly.

 

“Ah, I got you something,” Jiyong suddenly said, sitting right up and searching the bag he had left on the floor. 

 

Heesun, who had hid her face behind her hands, peeked from between her fingers before removing her hands completely to see what Jiyong was doing.

 

“A lady was selling this outside our building and I suddenly thought of you so I got it,” Jiyong explained. Heesun took in a rather large breathe when Jiyong pulled out a bottle of bubble solution and a pair of bubble rings. “Since you like balloons so much, I wondered if you liked bubbles?”

 

“I love bubbles!” Heesun cried in disbelief. Disbelief that Jiyong had actually bought her bubbles.

 

Jiyong grinned as he handed her the pink bubble ring. He opened the bubble solution and allowed Heesun to dip her bubble ring first. He dipped his own blue bubble ring into the solution as Heesun blew out the first of many bubbles of the night. They stared at the translucent bubbles in awe.

 

“Ooooh! How pretty!” Nayoung cooed in delight.

 

Jiyong blew out another batch of bubbles and Heesun’s smile grew wider. She followed up with her own bubbles and it didn’t take long before the car filled with floating bubbles.

 

The couple stared at their work silently from their position, laid out on the pseudo-bed.

 

“What did your family say about all this?” Heesun asked softly as she unleashed another wave of bubbles.

 

“My appa[19] and umma[20] are happy that I got a really pretty wife. My noona[21] also said that we looked good together. They all want to meet you some day,” Jiyong told her just as softly. 

 

“That’s all they think of me? A pretty face?” Heesun laughed.

 

“Just... right now. Since we haven’t been together for very long,” Jiyong amended. Heesun hummed in understanding.

 

“By the time our marriage ends... they will wish we were married for real,” she declared determinedly. Jiyong laughed and nodded.

 

“What about your family? Your brother doesn’t seem to like me very much,” he asked.

 

“That guy’s an idiot who only knows how to trash talk so don’t think about him,” Heesun told him dismissively. Jiyong laughed nervously. “My family likes you, Umma said you had a cute smile. My sister likes you too but she’s angry at me for getting married before her.”

 

“I’d like to meet them someday,” Jiyong told her sincerely.

 

“Really...? They’d probably bully you... though.”

 

“Still... I want to meet them.”

 

“Okay.... Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Heesun shrugged to herself. After blowing another round of bubbles, she laid her hand clutching the bubble ring on the space beside her head. It was becoming apparent that she was struggling to keep herself awake.

 

“I... want to meet your parents too...” she mumbled. “I’ll... want them... to like me....”

 

Jiyong nodded but didn’t answer for a while. When he looked over at his wife, he couldn’t help the smile that had overcome his lips at the sight of his slumbering wife. He pried the bubble ring from her fingers and packed up the bubble set. 

 

And then, he laid down beside her. He stared at her sleepily for a few seconds before smiling and allowing his eyes to slide close.

 

~//~

 

THE IN-LAWS HAS MADE AN APPEARANCE!

 

...

 

Okay, moving along.

 

 

I'm really beginning to enjoy writing long Author’s Notes:

 

1. This is what he was wearing:  

  

(Minus the cap and plus his blonde hair from 2011.)

2. I actually don’t know very much about SNSD besides their songs and a few personality traits so I hope I’m doing this right (if anyone can give me a few pointers about how SNSD members speak then it would be greatly appreciated). Anyway, the speaker here is Sunny.

3. This is Jessica.

4. Sooyoung

5. Seohyun

6. Yuri

7. Hyungboo is what girls call their older sisters’s husbands. -nim is an honorific. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong :)

8. Cheoje is what husbands call their wives’s sister.

9. Kansamnida is “Thank you”.

10. The interrupter is Eunhyuk, in case you guys didn’t figure it out.

11. Cheonam is what husbands call their wives’s brother.

12. Maeje is what boys call their younger sisters’s husbands

13. Hyung is what boys call their older brothers or older boys.

14. Sunbae is used to address senior colleagues, similar to “Sempai” in Japanese. It is also used by all genders.

15. Maebu is what boys call their older sisters’s husbands.

16. This is Heesun’s Korean age. The time frame of the story is actually 2011, this chapter is around April 2011, so GD is 23 internationally but already 25 in Korea (I think). Apparently, in Korea, they consider newborns to be 1 year olds unlike most countries who only starts adding onto a baby’s age a year after he/she was born. Also, everyone in Korea adds another year to their ages on January 1, even if their birthday are not on January 1. They still celebrate their official birthday but they officially declare themselves a year older on the start of the year. For Heesun’s case, because she was born on February, she considers herself just as old as Jiyong. The whole Korean age concept has a lot of articles in the internet so google it or ask me if you’re still confused.

17. Bwoh is like “Huh?” or “What?”

18. The Wae here is used as “Why?”

19. Appa is “Father”.

20. Umma is “Mother”.

21. Noona is what boys call their older sisters or older girls.

 

I slipped in a lot of Korean words in this chapter so I think it would be beneficial to read the Author's Notes although it is really long.

 

 

Okay, I know some parts of this chapter doesn't make a lot of sense but in my defense, they're sleepy. Not a lot of things make sense when you're sleepy... or at least when I'm sleepy.

 

A big thank you to Myung12victorialow, and sleepingdragons for subscribing. violin852, firstly, thank you as well for subscribing, and secondly, I love you very much for that comment. Very, very much.

 

 

-FunkEater