Blood, Oxygen, and Love ~

Pale as Snow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been three days since the ‘disappearance’ of the kingdoms beloved Taemin, and Queen Hyoyeon couldn’t have been happier. The evening that Key had presented the boys heart and lungs to her, she had requested the cook create a special stew for the whole staff of the castle to feast upon. And of course, the lungs and heart were finely diced and consumed by everyone. However, she had not yet received the satisfaction of her magic mirror recognising her as the fairest one of all. As a result of Taemin being lost and presumably murdered or kidnapped, a guard was set to accompany her at all times. But alas, today, they had decided that whomever caused the Princes disappearance was not returning, and the Queen was once again left on her own. With a smirk, Queen Hyoyeon approached the mirror that hung in the back of her personal bathroom.

‘Mirror, mirror, on the wall; who is the fairest one of all?’

to which the mirror replied:

‘You are fair my Queen, it’s true. But Taemin is fairer, far than you.

Along a trail that’s rather rocky; there he dwells, with six Matoki.’

After hearing this, the Queens smile immediately dropped as she plunged into the fit of rage that she was so familiar with.

‘How can this be!?’ she cried out.

‘I’ll show that little tramp.’

 

~

 

‘Okay, be safe~’ Taemin sung, waving to the six boys that were disappearing into the distance. He let out a sigh as he slowly walked back into the safety of the cottage, bolting the door behind him. Before the Matoki left, Bang had said:

‘Taemin, I want you to bolt the door, and don’t let anyone inside. The Queen will surely discover you’re still alive, and when she does, I fear for your safety.’

 

Taemin smiled, the Matoki had made him feel so at home. But still, he missed his old friends and kingdom. But what he missed even more, was the warmth of Prince Minho.

 

The sun was high in the sky, and Taemin figured the Matoki would be eating lunch around now. Just the thought of this made the boys stomach rumble, so he made his way to the kitchen.

As he washed the rice, he looked out of the window and towards the forest. During the night time, it was intimidating and frightening, but during the day, it was so green and full of life. It was beautiful. He could easily lose himself in just the sight of such beauty.

 

‘Hello, my dear.’ An old voice croaked. Taemin jumped, startled. He re focused him eyes and saw a woman standing just outside of the window. She was wearing a black robe that covered her entire body and head, only revealing her knotted brown hair that covered most of her face.

‘H-hello there.’ He replied nervously. He knew the Matoki wouldn’t want him talking to anyone, but he didn’t want to be rude either.

‘Don’t be shy, love. Speak to me. I have fine wares to sell.’ The woman said, a smile showing through the brown knotted mess.

‘W-what kind of wares?’

‘Fine wares! Fine wares, indeed! I have silk of every colour. I have ribbons, bows, thread, and needles. Everything you could imagine. Do an old woman a favour.’

Taemin really didn’t see the harm of allowing an old woman inside, so he quickly ran from the window, unbolted the door, and opened it wide, beckoning the woman to come in.

‘Ah, thankyou. You really are so kind.’ The woman croaked as she entered the cottage.

‘It’s alright, I could use the company anyway.’ Taemin replied, trying his best to be polite.

‘That’s nice. So may I interest you in any of my wares?’

‘Well what would you recommend for me?’

‘For you? Why, a pretty girl like you should wear a pretty garment.’

‘Girl?’ Taemin whispered. Although her face was not visible, he could tell the woman was fairly old. Not wanting to offend her, he went along with hiding his gender.

‘Ah, yes. Alright.’ Taemin said sweetly.

‘I have something special for you. What about a nice necklace?’ The woman said, rummaging through her basket. After a moment, she finally pulled out a long, thick, black ribbon with a pretty stone in the centre of it.

‘Ah, sure.’ He replied. It did look rather pretty, after all.

‘Now, my child. Sit down, allow me.’ The woman said, placing a hand on Taemins shoulder and pushing him a he would sit on the ground.

Once the two were on the ground, the woman began to gently wrap the ribbon around his neck.

Taemin stayed as still as he could, feeling that he shouldn’t make any sudden movements around someone of this age. However, as the ribbon was being wrapped around him, it suddenly became uncomfortable. He couldn’t breathe.

‘Excuse me, my lady, I can-‘ Taemin gasped as the woman gave a mighty pull on the ribbon, constricting his throat completely. He couldn’t even yell out, all he could do was whimper and struggle as the woman tied the material into a tight knot. He could feel his head pounding as the blood and oxygen was cut off. Black spots appeared in his vision and his head felt empty.

Queen Hyoyeon cackled as she stood up, watching Taemin scratch at his own throat, struggling to breathe. After a minute of gagging, the boys movements got slower, and an uncontrollably smile spread across Hyoyeon’s face as she watched him fall to the ground, unmoving. She picked up her basket, stepped over the boy, and left the cottage.

 

~

 

When the Matoki came through the door, they were confused as to why they couldn’t smell anything cooking over the fire. Himchan was the first to see Taemin.

‘Snow!’ he cried, running over to the boy who’s lips were now blue, and his skin ice cold. Yells from the other Matoki came out as they all crowded around the Prince, who was cold and unmoving. Jae put his hands on the boys throat, inspecting the ribbon.

‘He’s been attacked! Zelo, scissors.’ He commanded.

Before any of the others could process what was going on, Jae was cutting through the ribbon that was wound so tightly around the boys throat. As soon as the ribbon fell to the ground, Taemin took in a huge breath and sat up.

 

He explained what had happened, and how he thought the woman seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter