Dinner

Death On The Island

 

Despite the small number of staff attending to the guests, the Space Star resort which prides itself for its efficient service was able to get the guests settled into their rooms within a short period of time. There were thirteen rooms on the resort and every single one of them was booked for the week, including one each for the pilot and flight attendant who would only leave the island along with the guests.

Heechul heaved a sigh of relief and slumped back on his chair in the office as Shindong and Sunny stood in front of his desk to await his instructions.

“This is interesting. It is the first time we have so many single travelers. They normally come in pairs or in groups.”

“Sir, do you have any special instructions for us regarding this group of travelers? If not, I would need to take my leave.” Sunny asked as she was getting impatient and hoped to be dismissed. She had to get the dinner tables ready before the guests arrived to the dining hall.

Heechul rubbed his chin. “Mr Kim Ryeowook needs special assistance due to his illness. You’ll probably also have to pay extra attention to Mr Lee Donghae and his female partner. A politician’s son and future daughter-in-law may be tricky to handle if they are displease.”

“If that is all Sir, we shall take our leave,” said Shindong as Heechul waved his hand to signal them to get to work.

----------------------------------------

The guests streamed in one by one into the dining hall which was all ready for them to enjoy a sumptuous western meal by the beach. Shindong had prepared a buffet spread which was neatly laid out on a long table in the middle of the room.

Sunny had set up four round tables which could sit up to four guests each, thus the guests had no choice but to share the tables. This was part of the attractiveness of the Space Star resort. It promised you an intimate experience with the rest of the guests and people normally become friends or even lovers after their one week vacation.

The first to enter were Taeyeon and Leeteuk who took the table nearest to the ocean.

“Wow, the view is so lovely.” Taeyeon gazed out into the horizon before turning to face her smiling husband.

“I’m so glad that you’re alright now. I was worried sick when you fainted on the plane.” Leeteuk held on tightly to her hand and traced circles on it with his index finger.

They were joined shortly by Tiffany and Sungmin who were famished from their work.

------------------------------------------

Siwon and Kyuhyun who hit it off on the plane were engaged in a conversation about medical ethics as they took a sit at another table. Being attracted by their conversation topic, Eunhyuk and Seohyun who had also become casual friends shared the table with them.

Siwon swirled his glass of wine as he listened to what Seohyun had to say. Kyuhyun was also nodding approvingly as he kept his gaze on her. They were fairly impressed that someone of her age was able to hold an intellectually stimulating debate with them. Eunhyuk, on the other hand, was proving to be fairly shallow in his knowledge on current affairs.

“Seohyun, you impress me for someone your age.” Siwon praised her which made her giggle and blush consequentially.

--------------------------------------

Yoona and Donghae took another table and were soon joined by Ryeowook and Sooyoung. Ryeowook had insisted sitting on that table because it was nearest to the food.

“Wow Noona, look at the food! I want a chicken wing!” Ryeowook exclaimed as he abruptly stood up from his seat and pointed at the buffet spread.

Sooyoung was embarrassed by the commotion he was creating, especially disturbing to Yoona and Donghae who were taken aback by his sudden movement. She pulled Ryeowook back to his seat and smiled sheepishly at them.

Yoona nodded. “It’s alright. I’m not feeling too well after the flight so I don’t really have a good appetite. We will retire to our rooms once Donghae gets his stomach filled.”

“I’m sorry about that, Mrs…”

“Please call me Yoona.”

“I’m Kim Sooyoung. This is my brother, Ryeowook. Congratulations Yoona on your pregnancy.”

Yoona smiled and rubbed her hand on her tummy. “Thank you Sooyoung.”

--------------------------------------

Yuri, Jessica, Hyoyeon and Yesung made up the last table. Despite their conversation on the plane, Yuri and Jessica kept to themselves during the dinner. They occasionally chirped in and laughed along with Hyoyeon and Yesung who were discussing about quirky fashion trends.

Yuri had a smile on her face most of the time but her heart was aching as she thought of the man she loves. This would have been their honeymoon location if not for their break-up just three months before their wedding.

--------------------------------------

After the dinner party, several guests retreated to their rooms to turn in for the night while some decided that the night was still young.

Despite the limited number of rooms, the resort was well spread out on the tiny island. It was almost impossible to know what was going on in any of the rooms, let alone hear a sound from it.

Hyoyeon shuddered as she was walking back to her room alongside Yuri after they had some hot tea in the lounge before they turn in.

“It’s awfully quiet around here in the night. I’m a little afraid to be sleeping in my room alone.”

Yuri nodded. “I guess this is why the Space Star resort is so popular with couples. Everyone gets an exceeding amount of privacy here compared to other resorts. You’ll be fine, there’s no one else on the island except the people we have met.”

“I guess so. I’m just a little timid and the numerous mystery thrillers I have watched are probably getting to me in this setting.”

----------------------------------------

Yuri tossed and turns in bed as her eyes were wide open. She tried to keep them closed and attempted to fall asleep but it was not working. She had a bad feeling about the place and the people. It started after she had read the crime scene files in the lounge alongside Kyuhyun who showed keen interest in the subject. Her sixth sense told her something was about to happen.

-------------------------------------

Siwon stretched lazily as he got up from bed. He stood by the sliding door and looked out to the beach, enjoying every moment of serenity. His job had made him cynical to the beauty of the living world. This was a vacation he needed to refresh himself before he started his new posting in Seoul.

Siwon was taken aback when a loud knock was heard on his main door. He quickly got dressed and opened it.

“Mr Choi, you’re a doctor right?” Heechul asked. Siwon could see fear and anxiety in Heechul’s eyes as he gripped on tightly to Siwon’s arm.

“Yes I am, did something happen?”

“Sunny, the chambermaid was going around the resort to do her cleaning duties. She noticed that one guest’s door was unlocked and left ajar. She thought something might be wrong so she went in. The guest was on the bed with a knife in her stomach. I think… she’s gone already.”

“Take me to her room, now!” Siwon ordered before sprinting off behind Heechul to a room that was on the other side of the resort.

As Siwon stepped into the room, he was appalled by the amount of blood that had seeped onto the white bed sheets. He leaned over the figure and placed his finger on her neck to check for her pulse.

“She’s dead.”

“Oh goodness, this is the first time someone died in Space Star resort. This is going to tarnish its reputation. Who would want to come here for a vacation from now on?” Heechul was on the verge of pulling his hair out of his head as the severity of the situation weight in.

“I think you’ll have something else to worry about.”

“What?”

“You’re on an island with a killer. The murderer must be one of us.”

Heechul’s heart skipped a beat as he bit his lips. Before he could react, Sunny came running into the room with Shindong next to her.

Sunny was panting as she reported the bad news to Heechul. “Sir, I tried to contact the mainland authorities. Unfortunately, there’s a big storm near the main coast so they are unable to fly here to help us. We are on our own for a week. What’s going to happen to her?”

“She’s dead. Unfortunately we have a bigger problem now. We’re going to be stuck on this island with a cold-blooded murderer for a week.”

After Heechul completed his sentence, Sunny and Shindong shuddered in fear.

“I’ll have to conduct an autopsy with the limited equipment I have then.”

“You?” Shindong asked in disbelief.

“I’m not just an ordinary doctor. I’m a coroner.”