Death

Death On The Island

Yuri almost could not believe her ears when Heechul came knocking at her door, informing her of the bad news and seeking her assistance in conducting a small-scale investigation before the mainland authorities could arrive. This was going to be a supposed break that she very much needed but now that a murder has occurred, there was no way that she could stop it from interfering with her life as always.

As Yuri stepped into the crime scene, her heart sank just when her eyes laid on the dead woman sprawled on her bed. Jessica, the young beautiful chain-smoker who was seated next to her on the plane who was very much alive yesterday, was now no different from a rag doll. Her long blonde hair was spread messily above her head while her eyes wide open but lifeless.  

“Dr. Choi, this is Kwon Yuri. She’s a homicide detective in Seoul. Yuri, Dr. Choi Siwon is a coroner. He will be assisting in the investigation as well.”

A man dressed in a bathrobe and with a head full of bedroom hair stood up from beside Jessica’s corpse and turned his attention to Yuri. Yuri nodded politely and Siwon walked towards her with his hands stretched outright.

“I just got a transferred to Seoul from Daegu. We’ll be working together in the near future as well.”

Yuri took his hand and gave him a firm, business-like handshake. A small smile appeared on his face as their skin came in contact. Yuri liked the way he carried himself and had a good feeling about their impending cooperation.

“So what’s your preliminary conclusion?” Yuri asked instantly after letting go of his hand and stepping closer to the dead body to have a better look at the victim. She felt sorry to see Jessica go just like that and she was determined to do her justice. Even though they didn’t really know each other well, this was the first time that someone Yuri knew had her life taken away so cruelly and unrightfully.

“Estimated time of death is between 10pm last night and 6am this morning. Cause of death is the stab wound to the stomach. She didn’t die instantly and subsequently died of blood loss from the wound. That’s all I can conclude with the limited equipment I have.”

Yuri shook her head and replied bitterly. “Nobody expected a murder to happen here, not on a holiday.”

Heechul clapped his hands to get the attention of Yuri and Siwon. “I’m sorry to interrupt but how should we break this news to the guests? I’m worried as to how some of them would react to this horrible news. It’s going to be terrible if people start panicking.”

“We have to tell them what’s going on before the investigation commences. You’re very sure that there’s no one else on this island?” Yuri asked as she watched Heechul looked down on the ground and avoid her eye contact.

“Well, I’m pretty sure that’s the case but it’s a big island. A pirate could have swum here from a boat or something and I might not have realized,” said Heechul as he shrugged his shoulders.

Yuri shook her head as she bent down and placed her hand over Jessica’s eyelids to cover her eyes. “I can tell from her eyes, she knew the killer. The killer has to be someone amongst us.”

-----------------------------------------

Seohyun was sipping her English breakfast tea alongside Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk as they laughed and chatted merrily about their plans later for the day. Her eyes searched around the guests but the absence of Yuri, Siwon and Jessica made her a little curious. Could they have overslept for breakfast or were they together elsewhere on a secret rendezvous? Her curious little mind would not cease to wonder about the limitless possibilities on various matters and that was why she knew she was suited for a job in criminal investigation.

“I wonder where Siwon is today. He should be awake by now. I can’t wait to ask his opinion on some criminal cases which I discussed with Yuri last night. Speaking of whom, she’s yet to make her appearance today as well.” Kyuhyun wondered aloud as his eyes roamed around the vicinity. “Speak of the devil. Here they come!”

Seohyun watched as Siwon and Yuri walked towards the dining area together with Heechul with equally grave expression on their faces. Something was wrong and the other guests could sense that as well. Even Ryeowook who was burying his face in his sandwiches and sausage stopped eating and turned his attention to them.

Heechul gave a loud sigh and placed his hands behind his back. “Good morning guests. I hope that you had a good sleep and enjoyed your breakfast. Unfortunately, something… bad has happened last night. One of our guests, Miss Jessica Jung, has passed away.”

“Oh my goodness!” Hyoyeon exclaimed as she shot up from her seat with agape and her hands on her head. “That’s so horrible!”

Donghae wrapped his arms around Yoona protectively, instinctively. “How did she die? Was it a natural death?”

“Jessica was still alive and well when I last spoke to her at dinner.” Yesung mumbled as he quickly grabbed a glass of water and swallowed it in one gulp. It scared him how fragile human life was. Someone who was seated on the very next seat beside him last night was now gone for eternity. He felt a sense of emptiness and a chill went down his spine.

Siwon cleared his throat to gather their attention before he spoke gravely. “Jessica had been murdered.”

“Murdered?” Tiffany screamed before falling back onto her chair in fright.

The guests were all afraid and everyone reacted in a different way to the bone-chilling news that had been delivered to them early in the morning on the first day of their stay. The women were mostly badly shaken by the news while the men had to put up a strong front and comfort them even though they were equally afraid themselves.

Yuri hit the table in front of her to get everyone settled down before she spoke. “Siwon and I would be conducting an investigation. I’m a homicide detective from the Seoul Metropolitan Police Force while he’s a coroner who has years of experience dealing with homicide cases. Everyone on this island will be treated as a suspect and until the mainland authorities arrive, nobody can leave this island.”

Sooyoung got up from her seat and yelled at Yuri. “You want to keep us all here with a killer among our midst? What if something happens to one of us? I want to leave this island right now for the safety of myself and my brother. He’s just a kid, he doesn’t know anything!”

“I want to take my wife out of here! She’s in danger if she continues to stay on this island!” Leeteuk shouted before kissing his wife on the cheek and cuddling her tightly.

“Unfortunately, there’s a big storm near the main coast. Nobody can enter this island from the mainland within a week and neither can we leave this island.” Heechul spoke calmly as he turned to Yuri who nodded in approval. Heechul was scared as well but he knew he had to do what was right of him as the owner of the resort. He was responsible for their safety but he had let someone commit a malicious act right under his nose without his knowledge. Now he had to make amends and made sure he did the right things.

Yuri continued. “We’ll have to interview every single one of you on your whereabouts last night and we’ll need to know everything which you had seen or heard last night which may prove useful to our investigation.”

“Can we at least know how she died?” Seohyun asked inquisitively. She already had a notepad in her hand and was ready to jot down any details regarding the murder.

Siwon shook his head. “That would be kept under wraps. The only people who know about that will have to remain silent.”

Sungmin was shaking in his seat, still taken aback by the sudden tragedy that had occurred on his maiden voyage to Space Star Resort in his career.

 --------------------------------------

Yuri was looking at Jessica’s profile which she has filled up upon her application to stay at Space Star Resort.

“Jessica Jung. 24 Years Old. Lives in Seoul and works at a local supermarket. That’s all the information we have.”

She passed the file over to Siwon who looked at it briefly and nodded.

“Basically, we know nothing about her,” said Siwon as he stretched his arms out and resisted the urge to yawn.

Yuri cocked her head to the side and smirked. “Didn’t have a good sleep last night? Have more coffee. We have a lot of work to do.”

“You seem to love your job very much,” said Siwon as he observed the woman seated next to him who seem all perked up and energetic while he on the other hand was still upset that his holiday had been ruined by such an unfortunate event.

Yuri turned to Siwon and replied him in a matter-of-fact tone. “I have an important role to play. I have to protect the people and bring justice to the dead. I can’t just let Jessica’s death be a mystery and allow the murderer to get away scot free.”

Siwon was intrigued by Yuri’s passion for her work. This was nothing like what he had seen in Daegu in his past few years at work. Kwon Yuri was different and her determination and dedication to her job spurred him on to work harder to assist her in any way he can. 

-------------------------------------

A/N: I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far. It's hard to write a good mystery story but I'm trying. Interrogation will commence in the next chapter and the other characters will be more deeply introduced.