Flight

Death On The Island

“Attention all passengers, this is your captain Lee Sungmin speaking. Welcome aboard the aircraft heading for Space Star resort on an island an hour away from the main coast of South Korea. The flight will take approximately an hour and a half. We will be taking off in thirty minutes. Sit back and relax, enjoy the flight! Flight attendant Miss Tiffany Hwang will be at your service!”

Captain Lee Sungmin shifted his pilot cap to better align it with his face. It was his pride to be finally obtained his pilot license after years of hard work. He took pride in his job and the significance it played to the lives of others.

-----------------------------------------

Yuri took the window seat at the back of the plane and leaned back on the chair before giving out a big sigh. She had been so absorbed in her work for the past few years as a police officer in the Seoul Metropolitan Police Force that she never had time for herself. Her wish was to join the homicide department and after years of hard work as a uniformed police, she had finally earned the promotion that she had yearned for. But the price she had to pay for it was enormous.

A young woman who reeked of cigarette smoke sat down next to her. As a non-smoker and having lost a father to lung cancer, Yuri disliked the smell. As she wrinkled her nose, her partner for the flight looked at her with apprehension before digging into her purse and pulling out a cigarette and a lighter.

“I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to smoke in here,” said Yuri who was ready to lose her cool if the woman disrespected her and everyone else on the flight.

“I’m sorry; it’s just a bad habit of mine.” She shot Yuri an apologetic smile before keeping them back in her purse. “Flying makes me nervous. Nicotine would help me calm my nerves.

“You’re going on a holiday alone?” Yuri asked. Ironically, she was in the same situation yet it perked her curiosity to know why someone would be heading to an island resort alone.

“I need a break from work. It’s stifling. Sometimes some rest and relaxation will do a person well. By the way, I’m Jessica. You are?”

“Yuri.”

The conversation ceased when Yuri focused her attention on the magazine in the seat pocket and Jessica closed her eyes for a nap.

--------------------------------------

A young man dressed in casual beach wear sat next to a young, willowy lady who was engrossed with her cell phone.   

“Noona, could I please have some ice cream?” Ryeowook asked as he tugged on Sooyoung’s sleeve and pouted to get her attention.

“Ryeowook, you’ll probably have to wait a little while for that. I don’t think they have ice cream on an aircraft.” Sooyoung replied as she tapped Ryeowook on the head.

“Noona, I want ice cream. You promised me. You said you’ll give me anything if I’m a good boy!” Ryeowook raised his voice and Sooyoung was very embarrassed as she was certain that everyone on the aircraft had definitely heard him.

“Could you please keep him quiet?” A young woman turned around from the seat in front of them and directed her request to Sooyoung who quickly apologized.

“I’m really sorry about that. He’s just a little boy.”

The young woman looked at Ryeowook who was a grown man in his mid-twenties yet he was acting like he was only ten years old. She shook her head and a bitter smile appeared on her face.

---------------------------------------

“Yoona, what’s wrong with that kid behind us? He’s been whining non-stop since we boarded the aircraft and kicking my seat.”

“Donghae, he’s an old guy who’s a little sick in the head. He’s probably our age but his mind is like a kid.”

“That’s a pity. I hope our baby will be healthy and normal, that’s all I’m hoping for.”

Donghae placed his hand on Yoona’s tummy and kissed her on the forehead.

-------------------------------------

A young man wearing shades boarded the aircraft and sat beside a young lady who was engaged in her thick book. She briefly took her attention off it and gave him a polite smile. He seemed like a pretty cool guy but the fact that he was wearing shades while flying made her curious.

“Hi, why are you wearing shades on the plane? It’s not that bright in here.” She asked directly. It has always been in her nature to be inquisitive and that was what led her to make the choice of studying criminology in college.

“You don’t recognize me?” He returned her question and took off his shades before giving her a wide gummy smile.

She took a harder look at him and squinted.

“You do look a little familiar. You’re a celebrity?” She honestly had no idea who he was but she took a wild guess.

He nodded and adjusted his collar proudly. “I’m Eunhyuk, I’ve released a couple of hip hop albums before.”

“Sorry, that’s not my kind of music so I have no idea who you are. But nice to meet you anyway, I’m Seohyun.”

----------------------------------------

A young woman was busy sketching on a plain paper as her inspiration was slowly flowing to her. She had hit a designer’s block, as her boss called it, and was instructed to take a holiday to be refreshed and come back with new ideas or face a termination of her contract. She had worked so hard to make it this far, she was not going to fall behind just like that.

She was seated next to a young man who had his eyes on her all the time. She was starting to feel a little uncomfortable at his undying attention and decided it was best she confront him or risk having to endure this for the next hour and a half.

“Hi sir, why are you staring at me like that? You can’t seem to take your eyes off me.”

He kept his gaze on her, her jacket to be exact.

“Are those real feathers on your shoulder pads?”

She laughed awkwardly when she realized that was what he was intrigued by.

“No, of course they are not. It’s impossible that any bird in this world would have such an outrageous colored feather.”

“I figured. If there was such a bird around, I probably would have known about it”

“Are you like a bird expert or something?”

“I’m a leisure birdwatcher. My name is Yesung and I’m sorry if I have frightened you in any way.”

“Not a problem. As a fashion design, I’m pleased to have someone who appreciates my design so much that he can’t take his eyes off it. I’m Hyoyeon.”

--------------------------------------

The flight had taken off and the group of excited tourists was halfway through to their destination. But the weather started to change and the plane was surrounded by dark clouds along with rain and thunder.

“Attention all passengers, please take your seats and keep the seatbelts on until the sign is switched off. We may be experiencing turbulence due to the bad weather.”

The plane started moving up and down, almost like a rollercoaster ride in a theme park. Tiffany was walking around to make sure that all the passengers were secured to their seats and that they were staying calm.

“Help!”

Someone shouted from the front of the plane and Tiffany rushed towards the cry of despair.

“How can I help you, Sir?” She asked the man who had called for her help. He had his arms around his female companion who had passed out on his shoulder.

“My wife, Taeyeon, she’s got motion sickness and she’s scared of turbulence. I think she fainted out of fright.”

Tiffany had learnt how to deal with such situations before but it was the first time that a passenger had passed out in front of her. Her first instinct was to call out for a doctor.

“Is anybody on this flight a doctor or trained to provide medical assistance?”

A tall, dashing young man stood up from his seat just behind the couple’s.

“I’m a doctor.”

He reached into the overhead compartment and took out his briefcase which contained a first aid kit before heading to take a look at Taeyeon.

“Doctor, please help my wife. She’s got a weak constitution and I hope nothing will happen to her,” pleaded the man as he let go of Taeyeon to let the doctor have a better look at her condition.

The doctor quickly examined Taeyeon and smiled. “Don’t worry Sir. She’s going to be alright. She merely had a fright and should wake up very soon. Give her these pills when she wakes up and she should feel better. It will help to cure her nausea.”

“Thank you for your help, doctor. How may I address you? I’m Leeteuk.”

“I’m Dr. Choi Siwon.”

Siwon went back to his seat and the stranger sitting next to him gave him a thumb up.

“I’m just doing my job.” Siwon said sheepishly. “It’s my duty to help others.”

“It's great to meet someone who is passionate about his job and contributing to society. I’m Kyuhyun, I'm a freelance writer for a newspaper column.”

-------------------------------------

The plane safely arrived at its destination and the passengers disembarked one by one from the small stairway. They were greeted by the staff of the resort which consisted of the handsome but famously eccentric owner, Heechul; the chef, Shindong and the chambermaid, Sunny.

“Welcome to Space Star resort!” Heechul exclaimed as he raised his hands into the air and Shindong and Sunny broke out into a round of applause.  

------------------------------------

 

A/N: The first chapter is finally up! It serves as a short introduction to the characters. Some information have been revealed about selected characters while others will be introduced subsequently in the next few chapters. Thanks for the support xoxo