Smeared Ink

Letters & Lights : a collection

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


“Choi Sooyoung?!”

The explosion of Chanyeol’s extremely deep voice gets Kris moving about for an attempt to clamp his hand over the loud chattering mouth because attracting unnecessary attention from the public isn’t what he aims for at first place.
“Aren’t you overreacting? Why are you so surprised by this fact that I actually like her? Is there any problem from your side?” Kris remarks with a serious intensity of his words, brows furrow together while he watches his friend who doesn’t even start any effort to hide the surprised look on his face, smirking in response,
“Because…just because.”
“Just because?” Kris quizzically raises his eyebrow, waiting for a better reason for Chanyeol to come up with.
“You won’t get her.”
“Why? Why not?”
“Because she’s famous and she’s a goddess who descends from the seventh sky while you’re just a weirdo who plants sunflowers at night.” Chanyeol shrieks when Kris’ large hand slaps the back of his head and the latter remains nonchalant despite the obvious state of pain his friend is suffering from.

Kris is flawless. Or at least that’s what he thinks he is. But you know how people don’t actually understand what they’re made of and he may just be one of those. Puberty might have gotten rid of his weird bushy eyebrows and short stubby legs but miracle isn’t cheap and God is never biased so flawless, is never an accurate descriptive point for Kris or Wu Yifan or Kevin Li or whatever the many names he has only his mother knows of. Tall physique, well-defined muscles wrapped underneath his fashionable clothing, sculpture-like features that can draw any sort of attention, Kris never walks on Earth unnoticed especially on those days he feels like rocking the street as his personal runway which is, everyday.

A normal life of a normal man except that his looks are superior above the average, Kris isn’t a man with many problems because really, what else will a person asks for apart from having a dashing look completed by a benevolent demeanour of a gentleman who goes through life avoiding those seven deadly sins? He owns everything, particularly everything visible within eyes but Park Chanyeol is not just anyone for he’s a friend, probably the only one who sees behind whatever that masks Kris’ actual self.

Chanyeol’s antics are untrustworthy to be honest but Kris is a mess and it’s not even a joke that he acknowledges Park Chanyeol as the only person he can count on. Behind the sturdy stature of confidence and self-sufficiency, Kris isn’t even a quarter of these qualities he appears in public with. He’s a filial son, a loyal lover to the sunflowers he plants in pots arranged across the window but a ladies’ man, Kris Wu is not. And luckily, or not, depending on the ideas, Park Chanyeol is there for the rescue through all the rough and rowdy ways, a long journey into the heart of an attractive young lady Kris finds himself magnetized to.


Mission –How to get a Choi Sooyoung to fall for you.


“Definitely overreacting.” Kris concludes, slouching by the wall with arms tucked in front of his chest while he judges Chanyeol at the side who is diligently removing the cap of the marker in his hand and starts scribbling plans of his ‘brilliant’ ideas across the paper.

“Just shut up and sit, Kris. How long have I been your guardian angel?” Chanyeol strikes a question with an impish smile stamps on his handsome face and grins brighter at the way Kris just responds with a conceding nod, taking a seat next to him,
“You won’t regret it.” The confident look on Chanyeol’s face gets Kris believing every word written and spoken for it’s becoming an obligation to actually clutch onto Chanyeol’s hand and let him drive the way.

 

Step one –Make her laugh.
“Because laughter is the sound of love and if it’s shared between two people, it’ll get them to be more receptive of the love.”  -Park Chanyeol

 

It’s the library and there’s Wu Yifan at one end and Choi Sooyoung at another end, searching for books while he prepares himself to be a freak who approaches the girl within a situation where he’ll pretend to be looking for the same book. Same book gets them to start talking and he’ll crack some jokes he collected from Google and the next best thing shall happen and she’ll fall in love with him.

As if it’s really that easy.

“What do you call a fish with no eye?” Kris begins,
“Sorry, what?”
“Fsssshh!” His laughter erupts across the silent library, putting Sooyoung in an awkward situation because, lame and she’s not rude so polite Choi Sooyoung grants him a smile just for the effort he makes to actually crack her a joke on such a tiring afternoon. But really, she shouldn’t have done that.
“Why is there no gambling in Africa? Because there are too many Cheetahs!”
“…And what kind of flower is on your face? Tulips OMG did you get that??”

Kris goes home crying that evening.
 

 Step two –Give her the eye.
“Because flirting using the eyes is the most sensible way to deliver your emotion to the other party.” –Grandma Kim Mija via Park Chanyeol

 

“She’s here, she’s here!” Chanyeol scrambles back to his seat and cries at Kris to start acting natural and throws seductive glares at her, not too strong yet not too weak while biting on the sandwich in the manliest way he can.
The first two minutes get Choi Sooyoung acknowledging his presence in the same café as she is while she politely gives him a smile which he responds with the kind of look she finds unreadable.

“Stronger, stronger.” Chanyeol mouths secretly, activating the inner e instinct inside of Kris Wu and at the vain attempt to deliver whatever the heck emotions he has that had been accumulating inside since his freshman year when he first saw her. It’s coming, the feels are overflowing but someone needs to tell Kris that excessive rolling of the eyes isn’t really attractive.
“OMG dude, she’s coming! She’s coming what should I do tell me God!” Kris fidgets on his seat, another step she makes towards him can get him squealing while Chanyeol busies himself to calm the nervous friend from doing something stupider than he already is doing.
“Um Kris…” her voice gets him shooting up from his seat, an upgraded piercing stare he makes while he nonchalantly ignores Chanyeol’s signal to stop the eye thingy because it’s painstakingly embarrassing and overly done.

“…Are your eyes okay?”
 

Step three –Share the same interest.
“One of the things that can get two hearts connected to each other is sharing the same interest.”
-some ahjushi via Park Chanyeol

 

His steps increase in speed as he tries catching over her across the gallery and Kris barely holds in his breath by the time Sooyoung turns to him, a quirky coincidence she tells him because of course she doesn’t know about Kris being stalker-ish.

“So you like arts too?” Her eyes brighten when he nods his head with poise, a thin line of smile forms on his face with concrete satisfaction because she’s being extremely contented by the way he seems to relate and understands every single word she speaks of contemporary arts and everything Kris doesn’t even have an idea of. It’s pure pretentious but of course she doesn’t know that.

“So, who is your favourite artiste?” Sooyoung’s question flips his heart inside out because damn, he doesn’t know a name except for his distant uncle who lives by the seashore near East coast who happens to paint seagulls and girls in bikinis all the time.
“Just…just some Korean artiste, I think.” He says and traces the disappearing smile on her face,
“…Because I don’t really worship international artistes I mean, we have our own great local acts, don’t you think?”
His worries lessen at the sight of her approving nod,
“Like Choi Jeong Hwa, right?” She clasps her hands together.
“Yeah, yeah! That’s what I’m talking about! Choi Jeong Hwa, God…” Awkward laugh escapes between his lips, “…she’s a freaking talented artiste I swear she is!”

“But…” Sooyoung blinks in confusion, “…Choi Jeong Hwa is a man.”
The awkward laughter dies down and is altered into a set of choking coughs.

 

Step four – Flirt with words.
“Because girls like hearing sweet pickup lines.”
-Fourth floor janitor ajumma

 

“Excuse me Sooyoung sshi, I think you have something in your eyes.”
“Uh?”
“Oh wait, it’s just sparkles.”
“Wha-“
“If stars would fall every time you smile…The sky would be empty.”
“Are you serious?”


Step five –Be yourself
“Because there’s nothing more beautiful than falling in love with the genuine part of a person.”
-Mr. Park via Park Chanyeol’s older sister via Park Chanyeol himself

 

“Be myself?” Kris’ voice gets louder at the second time he repeats the words, “…Be myself?!”
“Calm down, Krisus you’re exaggerating.” Chanyeol scoffs, flipping his hair diva style while he goes through the methods one by one and realises they’ve come to an end because Kris is forever a hopeless guy when it comes to romance.
“You know I can’t be myself, dammit!”
“And why not?”
“Because you said it yourself before!” Kris retorts, “…I’m a freaking weirdo who plants sunflowers at nights, remember??”
Chanyeol thoughtfully shakes his head, “I was just saying back then. I don’t mean it. You’re perfectly fine, Kris.”

“But I’m humourless and I can’t even speak lovely words without stammering and I have no clue about arts and tulips joke isn’t funny ugh I hate myself!” Miserably running his fingers through his hair, Park Chanyeol squats by the side, watching Kris going crazy while he finds pleasure in doing so.
“Come on, Kris. Have confidence in yourself. You’re a nice guy and you can’t even kill a bird.”
“Why would someone kill a bird for?!” The look of horror on Kris’s face gets Chanyeol to quickly dismiss the idea off his mind because he has definitely done that before and birds go to Heaven when they die so Chanyeol doesn’t find the need to feel guilty.

“Besides, it was an accident.” He mutters and gets a sceptical glare from Kris.
“I’m doomed.” Kris admits defeat, helplessly burying his face into his palms.
“Nope, not yet.” Chanyeol disagrees.
“I can’t even collect the will and bravery to confess to her so yes, Chanyeol. I am doomed.”
Chanyeol doesn’t want to admit that but he knows better that everything Kris says is nothing but the truth. It’s tiring and it’s frustrating and this is exactly why Kris isn’t as flawless as people think he is or as he himself thinks he is.
“Know what? I’ll just give up.” He says, shooting a glance towards Chanyeol and secretly he knows that this time, even that friend of his can’t save his life.

 

­­____________________________________________________________________________________
 


Sooyoung realises how tiring it is to be a senior student in college and the stacks of papers in her hands right now aren’t bringing much help either. She can already picture herself walking up the stairs of her apartment and greeted by chirpy voices of her housemates because they’ve all ended their final papers and she’s all alone in this. Even at the thought of the ten minutes journey back home gets her frustrated and exhausted so Sooyoung decides to stay by her workroom for a while and such decision brings her into another situation she can never imagine happening to her.

A letter under her desk with a blue pen smeared by ink placed over it.

Carefully her hands reach for the paper and unfolds it to reveal the mixed up letters and messy handwriting.
“I’m hopeless and young and I don’t even know what I’m doing with my own life but if there’s one thing that I’m pretty sure of, it’s this little thing I have for you. Choi Sooyoung sshi, I like you. It’s corny but legit. And my handwriting is ugly.”

She squints her eyes and realises how the word like is actually being written on top of another word the person might have erased but she can still trace the letters, “…love.” She reads.

The sound of footsteps coming from outside of the workroom gets Sooyoung onto her feet as she silently peeks her head behind the door just to find a poker faced Wu Yifan passing by with an indifferent look because he remembers that he gave up on her yesterday,
“Oh, you’re still here?” His voice, monotonous and calm as he speaks and Sooyoung temporarily forgets about the letter she just received because his face and his smile that rarely appears on his face makes everything incoherent to Choi Sooyoung.

“Are you going home now?” She asks and receives a quick nod as an answer from him and by the look of it, Kris doesn’t seem interested in keeping up with a conversation right now and Sooyoung really doesn’t want to appear as someone blatantly annoying, trying to hold him back even if she really wants to do that.
Because despite all those weird lame jokes and strange things he does, Sooyoung has to admit that not even once these little things make her likes him any less and she can’t even begin with how many times she actually laughs at his tulip jokes when she’s all alone inside her room.

When Kris turns around to leave, Sooyoung heaves a deep sigh because once again, her feelings will remain unnoticed. It’s not like she deliberately keeps the feeling to herself, maybe it’s because she can’t seem to read his expression every time and he never fails to confuse her. By the time Kris starts stepping ahead of her with his hand swinging by his side, Sooyoung catches a glimpse of something stained all over his right palm.

Blue ink.