Chapter 9

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

“You— you wouldn’t!” Kris exclaimed.

You cocked a brow, “Do you know what I love most after my brother?” There was pause, it was obvious he didn’t know the answer and you weren’t expecting him to. “My pride. And you, Mr. Wu Yi Fan have just hurt that deeply and I won’t stand for it.”

Kris held his bottom lip in between his teeth. He seriously screwed up.

“Look—”

“I don’t want to hear it.” You held your left hand up and removed the ring right in front of him. “Once I make a decision, I won’t go back on it.”

You then dropped the ring which could probably buy you a mansion onto the leaf-covered ground without batting a single lash.

It was silent as the wind brushed by you guys.

Kris stared at the ground in disbelief. He could tell you were serious for there wasn’t a hint of amusement in your tone or expression at all.

He fibbed, “But you need money or else your brother won’t—”

You swiftly interrupted him. “I’ve saved up enough for Tao to attend college.” You announced. “Do you think I wasted away all the hard earned money I received being your secretary?” you scoffed.

It was a half bluff in a way.

You did have money for Tao but only enough for two years but that didn’t matter at the moment.

“Of course I didn’t. I know the value of every cent and dollar and how much power money has over people.” You glanced at the ground thinking about them again. “I know money is everything in today’s world. And you were just one example that supported that theory of mine.”

“Miss Huang I know that I was—”

“Out of line? Rude? An ? Save it. Don’t need to put more carbon dioxide into the environment just to tell me something I already know.” You finished, regaining your composure.

Feeling empty, you locked eyes with Kris. Something you nor he had ever done before.

In your eyes, he sensed you were hurting but it wasn’t because of him. It was because of something else and he guessed that what he had said some how might have reopened an ugly scar on your heart.

“I didn’t strip you.” You mumbled. “I don’t even like you.” You continued, more loudly and that was a low blow to Kris. “And most importantly, I didn’t just agree to this ridiculous agreement just because of the money. I agreed because I know what it feels like to be abandoned by someone you love.”

And without saying another word, you hopped so that you were facing the other way. “Do whatever you want to make my life a living hell because I don’t care, I quit. Even if I become poor and no one on this entire continent will hire me, it would be nothing compared to the loneliness you’ll experience. I can promise you that.”

You started hopping away but that ruined the entire mood. It took away all the tension, like seriously.

Kris chuckled gently as he watched you.

Then like some bad omen was out to get you, you tripped over a twig. A freaking thin piece of damn twig and lost your footing.

Seeing this, Kris automatically without giving it a second thought bolted to your side, dropping his jacket and catching you in his arms.

It was a reflex.

It was an instinct.

Something within him just told him to catch you.

Your back was pressed against his chest and seeing that his forearms weren’t clothed, you knew he was shirtless again.

Now you were touching him even more intimately than before because you were both conscious this time.

You snapped out of your thoughts and managed to squeeze in some distance even though it wasn’t much. Then you balanced yourself on your good foot.

You sent him a pointed look, not allowing your eyes to wander anywhere they shouldn’t be. “Don’t touch me, you have no right to. You aren’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter