Chapter 30

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author POV

“You’re back late,” Kris said as he looked up from his laptop when you entered the living room. “Have you eaten yet?”

“Yes.” You simply said as you walked past him and went upstairs to go change.

Kris placed his laptop on the coffee table and followed you upstairs. He sat on the bed as you went into the bathroom to change.

“Where have you been all day?”

“Work.”

“Oh, did you quit your night job?”

“No.” You said as you walked out of the bathroom wearing your pajamas. You lied down on the couch and pulled a blanket over yourself hoping for Kris to leave you in peace.

Kris watched you from the bed awkwardly. It had been two weeks since the incident at the company and this was how you have been acting since then. Very cold and very aloof.

“I was hoping that we could talk for a bit,” he said softly. “I feel like I haven’t spent that much time with you in a while.”

You stayed silent, hoping that he caught the fact that you didn’t want to be disturbed.

When the silence instilled, he decided to give up.

Kris sighed as he stood up. “All right, sleep tight Lei.” He turned off the bedroom light and left.

When you were sure he was gone, you sat up on the couch and peered out into the darkness. Although you were exhausted, you couldn’t help but to feel restless at the same time.

You had recently gotten a second job at coffee shop during the day. You were trying to minimize the time you were at home in order to avoid crossing paths with Kris. You just didn’t want to put up with any of it.

The tired feeling that you were experiencing due to the endless work you have been straining your body to do was nothing compared to the tired feeling you feel from the highs and lows of your emotions you were left with after you had left Kris’s office two weeks ago.

Back downstairs, Kris was putting away the dishes that were now cold for another time.

He covered the dishes up with saran wrap and carefully placed them into the refrigerator.

You were just too stubborn—as was he.

He was aware of the fact that about half of this situation was his fault, but he just couldn’t bring himself to apologize to you now. He didn’t know how. Never in his life has Kris Wu had to apologize for anything he had done wrong. He never did anything wrong.

The only relationship he had ever had was with Yoojung and even then, they had never fought. Their relationship was calm and poised even behind cameras. But that was worlds away. Yoojung left him at the altar and that was that.

Kris was so lost in thought that the sudden ringing that came from his phone startled him.

“Hello?”

“Hello, President Wu?”

“Ah, what is it Ahren-ssi?”

“I am so sorry, I’m aware that it’s late but we forgot to go over the presentation for tomorrow!”

Kris tiredly scratched the back of his head. “Is that so? Alright, please send the files to me and I’ll go over it right now.”

“Actually, I don’t have a digital copy with me. I have a paper copy with me right now, I could bring it to you if you’d like.”

“Alright, I have I’ll have to trouble you then.”

“No trouble at all! It’s my fault that you have to do more work even when you’re at home spending time with your wife. It’s a poor job on my part.”

Kris let out a small chuckle. “Don’t discount yourself. You’re a very competent secretary if I do say so myself.”

“Your compliment is very flattering, President Wu. I’m driving right now; I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“Okay, drive safely.”

 

“Please come in, Ahren-ssi.” Kris said as he opened the door wider to allow the woman in.

Ahren thanked him and followed him into the living room where folders and papers were sprawled across the coffee table along with a mug of coffee. The television was on and displayed a late night gag show that was near mute. Besides for the two of them, the living room was otherwise empty and this made Ahren fairly pleased.

“Were you working even before I called you?”

“I start looking over paperwork and plans early,” he admitted.

Ahren softly clapped her hands together. “Well, is there anything I can help you with?”

“Ah no,” Kris rejected. “It’s very late, I couldn’t ask you to do more work when you’re off the clock.”

“Nonsense! It’s my job to make your work easier. If you’re working off the clock then I should be too.” The woman smiled as she went over to the coffee table to look at the paperwork.

“Well if you put it that way, could I offer you some coffee while look over the project developments for me?”

Ahren smiled. “That would be wonderful.”

 

 

You didn’t know when you fell asleep, but the sudden ringing of your alarm c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter