Chapter 24

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

As Kris was sleeping, he began to smell something weird. His brows bunched up as he inhaled deeply.

It smelt like something was burning. “What’s going on?” He grumbled groggily.

Next, he glanced over to the clock and saw that it was only 6:12 and the sun had already risen. “Xinlei, do you smell that?” He questioned but there was no reply.

 

He got up and was surprised to find that he was the only one in bed. Rubbing his eyes, he threw the blanket off and followed the smell.

 

When he walked into the kitchen, smoke greeted him along with the fire alarm going off.

 

“Oh for the love of god.” You hissed under your breath as you picked up the scathing pan from the stove and tossed it into the sink.

 

“Mrs. Wu, are you sure you don’t want me to cook breakfast?” The maid who usually prepared the meals questioned, concerned.

 

You coughed and fanned the air around you with the your hand. “No, it’s okay. I have to hold up my end of the bargain. Just make that alarm shut up before he wakes up and complains about how I ruined his beauty sleep.”

 

“Neh,” as the maid spun around to leave, her eyes rounded at Kris.

 

He had his hand cupped over his nose and mouth but motioned for her to be quiet. She didn’t say a word as she quickly bowed and went to follow orders.

 

Is this woman trying to burn down my house? Kris’s eyes fell on your back as you the faucet.

 

Once the cold water made contact with the hot surface, steam was created. You jumped back startled while you cursed to yourself.

 

You had gotten up at 5:30 to try and actually prepare a decent meal because Kris had allowed you to sleep on the bed even though you lost.

 

But as of right now, it was not looking good for you or him… or his kitchen for the matter.

 

It looked like a food fight took place in the room. Bowls and dishes were sprawled out everywhere along with other ingredients.

 

Flour was sprayed across the counters and floor while eggshells rested on the table and the fog of smoke was not helping the cause.

 

Let’s just say it was going to take the maids a very, very, verrrry long time to clean up the mess you made.

 

“This is so hard,” you whined. “I should have just went to McDonalds and ordered from there.”

 

Then it all clicked in Kris’s mind as he lowered his hand.

 

Slowly he approached you and as his hand reached out to touch you, you spun around on your own.

 

“Oh my gosh,” you held your chest and stared at him, petrified. “When did you get here?”

 

Kris didn’t say anything as he blinked. Next, he pointed at your face.

 

You thought he was going to scold you for the ruckus and chaos bestowed upon his home but instead he remained silent.

 

He was too distracted with your face to reply. Actually, he was more enchanted with it.

 

You had flour smudged on your left cheek, forehead and nose. Your hair was also tied up into a messy bun. And honestly, he thought it was the cutest thing he had ever seen.

 

The fact that you looked clueless as well was not helping.

 

“What?” You frowned.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter