Going Home...Which Home?

My Life with Taeil

That night, my heart was so broken.

I took Cassie in my arms. She asked where daddy was. I said he left.

Mom and dad were surprised that one serving of pancakes, bacon and eggs wouldn't get eaten the next morning. Mom asked where Taeil went. I told her, only after crying the worst tears I ever shed. She was speechless. Dad was initially angry, but I managed to calm him.

I knew the name Taeil would envoke tears or anger, so I never said it that day. Instead, I distracted myself with Cassie, though she reminded me of him, and music, which also brought him to mind.

I cooked the last jar of kimchi that Taeil and I brought, happy to get rid of the evidence he used to be here. As we ate, the doorbell rang. My mom invited one of my childhood friends over.

But someone else had rung the doorbell.

Taeil.

Thinking I had gone mad from grief, I was reluctant to say anything or to touch him. He assured me he was real.

He was so guilty for nearly leaving that he just stood there, stupidly I might add, waiting for me to burst out shouting.

I didn't. If he did love us, he would talk first.

Our eyes seemed to make a mutual agreement to stay calm.

Calm was what we weren't.

He kissed me rather passionately, perhaps indicating his extreme remorse, as I called him some unmentionable names. He didn't have to say sorry because I had already forgiven him the moment I looked in his beautiful eyes.

My mom started crying at the sight of Taeil, Cassie ran to him and hugged him. My father towered over him, looking like he wanted to shed some blood, but we managed to restrain him...barely.

That night, we made the sweetest love that no other had ever tasted.