Prologue

Death Note [Discontinued]

It began as a day just like any other.

School... such a waste of time, Luhan thought as he kicked a few leaves out of his path. The fall air was crisp, and Luhan could see his breath if he exhaled more harshly than normal. He looked at the blue sky, blinking boredly at it twice before returning his gaze downward, shoving his hands in his pockets as he walked.

Luhan had always known that he was a bit strange when compared to his peers. He was never one for fun and games, instead choosing to bury himself in his studies (and the occasional soccer match. But he always won those, so even they had become boring.)

He sighed. Life had become much of a bore for him, and he occasionally contemplated suicide just to save the world from having to deal with yet another person on the planet. He never did, though, instead waking up every day to the grey monotony once more.

Suddenly, his foot struck something rather odd, that didn't feel much like fallen, dead leaves. He bent down and picked it up—it was a black notebook of sorts. The cover was made of leather, and Luhan could tell that the notebook had seen many years of use by the way the edges were worn. But when he opened the notebook, all he found were pristinely white, lined pages, with not a single mark on them.

How strange, he thought, closing the notebook and turning it over in his hands. On the cover, in spiky white letters, it read 'Death Note.' Luhan didn't know what a 'death note' was, but he decided that he would peruse it at home, later.

He didn't notice the strange figure that had suddenly materialized a few feet behind him, though, cackling as it followed him home.