Chapter Five

What to do when you love the Idiot Next Door

Suzy was walking down the empty corridor, thinking of what the teacher had just told her. He had said she was failing her maths exams, and that if she didn’t pick up her act, there was a high possibility that she might fail this year, meaning she’d have to stay back next year and repeat this grade.

It wasn’t Suzy’s fault that she was terrible at the subject; it was hereditary. Her parents were both terrible mathematicians, failing every maths class they attended. It was obvious their daughter was going to turn out to be a failure too.

“Maths tutoring? What is this world coming to?” Suzy asked herself as she made her way to her extra maths tutoring class.

She opened the door, and there sat the teacher, with a whip in his hand. Did he have to look so intimidating? And what was the whip for? It was illegal to hit children now; they didn’t live in the 18th century anymore.

                “You must be Bae Suji, more commonly known as Suzy. Nice to meet you,” Greeted the teacher. What was he? Some kind of stalker too? No one knew her real name; and those who did, just called her Suzy anyway.

                “Sorry I’m late!”

                Suzy turned towards her classmate. The folder in her hands dropped, and her eyes grew as wide as saucers. She couldn’t believe her bad luck. Seriously, what was the world coming to?

                “Suzy? Are you going to be in this class too?” Asked the male student. He waited for an answer, but did not receive it. Wondering why she didn’t answer, he asked again, “Suzy, you’re in this class, right? Do you remember me? I’m the guy who hit you with the ball the other day, Onew, remember?”

                Suzy wanted to curse so badly at that moment. She had originally thought that taking extra math lessons was bad enough; she didn’t think of anything that could make her life any worse. Guess she spoke too soon.

                “Of course I remember you,” Suzy mumbled, looking around to find a spare seat.

                “Yeah,” Onew scratched his head uncomfortably. “I am really sorry about that. Hey, to make it up to you, how about you sit next to me?”

                Suzy turned to look at him with a horror-struck face. Was he insane? Or was he just mentally slow? Didn’t he notice the signs that showed that she didn’t want to talk to him? She thought it was ridiculously clear; any clearer would mean that she would have a sign on her forehead saying ‘I don’t like you, Onew. Just go away’.

Suzy smiled at that thought. It would be very nice to be able to do so, and she would do so if it didn’t make her look like an idiot…

                “No thank you; I can manage by myself,” She stated blankly before sitting down in the farthest corner.

                “Class settle down now. As you may know, the fee to this class is due soon, I just thought it would be nice to remind you,” Informed the teacher as he walked by the tables, hitting the whip against his hand.

                Fee? Suzy hadn’t been told about a fee.

                “Sir, everyone’s already paid,” Said one of the boy’s in the class.

                “Oh really? That’s good because if you haven’t paid by the next lesson, then you will be asked to leave the class, therefore meaning that you would end up failing your maths class.” The teacher sighed and opened his textbook.

                In the corner of the room, Suzy was beginning to panic. If what the teacher said was true, which it probably was, that meant that she only had until next lesson, and that was in 2 days. How one earth was Suzy supposed to get the money? In fact, Suzy’s head started to spin when she thought of how much the fee was. The school fees were extremely expensive, and now another fee? What did the school think she was? Made of money?

---

                “Suzy, are you feeling alright? You look kind of…” The girl did not finish her sentence. There was no other word to describe what Suzy looked like now; it was downright scary. She was extremely gloomy, and there was an aura coming off of her that spelt ‘dangerous’ in every possible way.

                The girl gulped and walked away. Suzy had been sitting behind the counter the entire shift, not saying a single word apart from the necessary “That would be blah blah blah…” as each customer came up. And even then, the customers would hurriedly run off after paying; being around such a girl could only bring bad luck.

                Suzy was staring into space with a blank expression on her face. She was lucky that her boss wasn’t there today, or else she would’ve been fired. But even with that thought taken into account, Suzy didn’t even care. Hell, if someone came up and hit her across the back or kicked her, or something along those lines, Suzy would have probably not even noticed! The poor girl was very distracted. All that was running through her mind was how she was supposed to get the money! Robbing the bank wouldn’t do; there was a high possibility that she would get caught. Selling some of her things wouldn’t do either, not that she would even do so.

                All in all, Suzy was having a bad day – probably the worst day of her life.

---

                “Hey, does Suzy look scary or what?” Asked Key as he looked at Suzy from the table he was sitting.

                The five boys were sitting in the back corner of the newly opened café, which also happened to be the place where Suzy was currently working. If fate wasn’t that one that was binding them together, it was hard to say what was.

                “Yeah, she’s been like that ever since maths started,” Stated Onew.

                “You’re in her maths class?” Asked Minho, surprised. He thought she was in the grade below them.

                “Oh, maths tutor class.” Corrected Onew.

                “Unlucky you then. You have the wicked old witch,” Laughed Taemin, though he stopped after realizing he was laughing by himself.

                “Why is she so troubled?” Onew wondered aloud.

                “Why do you care so much? Since when were you on such good terms with her? And Jonghyun, you still haven’t explained why she borrowed your money from last time. No one tells me anything anymore. What is this? A conspiracy? Is everyone conspiring against me now?” Minho started complaining. Everyone eventually shut him out; it was useless to try to reason with Minho when he started being all melodramatic.

                That was when it hit Onew. Maybe she was stressing out because she didn’t have money. He was sure that that was why she had to borrow Jonghyun’s money the other time. Maybe she didn’t have the money to stay in that class. Then he suddenly tried to think of a way to help her. He might as well just go up there and give her the money.

                With that being said, Onew got up from his seat and walked up to the gloomy Suzy. She didn’t even bother to look up.

                “Table number please,” she asked mechanically.

                “Onew,” He answered.

                “I’m sorry, we don’t have any tables with that number,” She sighed.

                He chuckled before continuing, “I meant, my name is Onew.”

                No. Suzy refused to look up. She didn’t want to see him, as a matter of fact, she didn’t want to see any of the 5 boys in that group.

                Onew went straight to the point. “Okay then, since you’re not talking. I know you’re having financial issues at the moment, and since I’m a nice guy, I’m very willing to help out. How much do you need?”

                “What?” Suzy looked up.

                “Do you need some money? I have a lot so you ca-”

                Suzy cut off his sentence. “I don’t need your money! Just go away! Who do you think I am? Someone who randomly asks people to borrow money?! I have a ing job; I can handle everything!” Suzy finally let out all of her feelings that she had managed to bottle inside.

                Onew was shocked. He didn’t know where he went wrong. Wasn’t he being nice to her? Why was she even angry?

                “Hey, why are you shouting at Onew?” Key and the rest of the boys came walking up upon hearing the commotion.

                Suzy didn’t say a word. She continued to glare at Onew.

                “Forget it guys. Let’s just go,” Placing the money inside the bill, Onew walked off with his friends.

                Suzy stood there, seemingly very frustrated. Now that he was gone, she was regretting not taking his money. Why didn’t she just borrow it? Just like a man, she was afraid it would hurt her ego.

                She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. How was she supposed to get the money now? It wasn’t as if someone was going to drop their wallet and let her pick it up and find that it was stashed with cash.

                As if on cue, she heard a soft thud on the floor. Suzy looked down and found a wallet. She looked around to find the owner, but she heard the door close. Whoever it was must’ve left.

                She opened the wallet, but didn’t find an ID or anything that verified the person’s identity. She looked in the money slot and gasped. It was stashed with heaps of cash! Suzy was so happy! She quickly packed up her things.

                “I’m leaving early so can you serve the customers?!” Shouted Suzy as she ran out of the door. She was going to run to her school and pay now.

                The girl sighed and walked towards the counter, collecting the bill on the table.

                “What?! So much money!”

---

                “Let’s go for some ice-cream!” Offered Taemin as they walked past the local ice-cream parlour. He didn’t really give the others a choice as he dragged them in.

                “It shall be Onew’s shout!” Enthused Key, laughing at his sinister plan.

                “Sorry guys, I have no money left…” Said Onew.

                “You’re so stingy! Show me your wallet!” Shouted Minho as he snatched Onew’s wallet. “There’s really no money left. I thought you brought a lot with you today; you knew we were going clubbing later…” Sighed Minho. He started to backtrack what Onew had spent it on. “You didn’t have anything for lunch, and when I checked it then, it was full. The only place we went and you paid was that new café where Suzy worked…” Minho looked at Onew suspiciously.

                Onew just shrugged and turned the other way as to avoid Minho’s stare.

                “Oh well, Jonghyun, it’s your treat then!” Shouted Key, a wide smile on his lips.

                “I didn’t bring it today,” said Jonghyun, walking towards Onew, also looking away.

                “No, you did bring it today. I even saw you pay for lunch!” Key ran up to him and searched his pockets. “Why do you only have your ID card and driver’s license? Where’s the wallet?”

                “Like I said, I didn’t bring it today,” Jonghyun concluded, ignoring the complaints he received from Key and Minho.

                There was definitely something wrong today. Jonghyun and Onew always have money, or always had their wallets, but today, one was missing a wallet, and the other missing the cash. There was definitely something going on, even if Jonghyun and Onew said there wasn’t.

==========

They both helped her!! So sweet~ Haha, I updated a whole 5 chapters for you guys…

So how’s the story so far? Are the chapters too long? I could cut them down, if you’d like…I’m not very good at this so yeah, I’m still a beginner. Please guide me along! ^^

Please comment!

---Saranghaeyo---