Chapter One

What to do when you love the Idiot Next Door

The school day had just started and yet Suzy had already had enough.

She sat in class, her legs resting on top of the chair in front of her. She didn’t care that that chair was taken, or the fact that whoever was sitting in it was fidgeting around uncomfortably. She couldn’t care less about how others felt, or frankly what they thought of her; she was more mature than that, though the word didn’t seem to describe her very well.

Sighing for the hundredth time that day, Suzy sat upright on her chair and continued to stare out the window, as if wishing that someone would come and save her from this so-called ‘purgatory’. To her, school was just another word for ‘hell’; her parents had just sent her there because they couldn’t be bothered looking after her.

                “Suzy,”

Suzy turned to see who was talking to her. It led her no surprise when she realised it was Tae-Yeon. The girl, though not entirely her friend, was somewhat nice to have by her side; however she did get rather annoying when she started getting all clingy.

                “What?” Suzy asked, her voice edgy.

                “Do you want to hang with me at lunch?”

Suzy slapped herself mentally. ‘Hanging’ at lunch time was something Suzy never did. She hated how people ran around screaming and shouting, she hated how guys would stare at her as if she was some kind of scientific specimen, and she hated the smell of the revolting food that the canteen there offered. Basically, she just hated being in a school full of over-energetic teenagers.

                “No thank you; I don’t ‘hang’,” Said Suzy, putting an emphasis on the word ‘hang’.

                “Come one, it’ll be fun!” Enthused Tae-Yeon.

Suzy sighed again, rolling her eyes as she answered.

                “Whatever.” Suzy simply said.

---

If Suzy had once hated hanging at lunch before, she was now considering the word ‘hate’ an understatement. Looking around, she could see the students running around, chasing each other in the cafeteria.

How old were these students? Suzy didn’t even want to think of it – it wasn’t as if they acted their age anyway. Some students were talking and laughing so loud that she thought she might be deaf; while other students just sat there making out with their boyfriends.

Why wasn’t there a normal group around here?

                “Suzy, where do you want to sit?” Tae-Yeon inclined her head towards Suzy, wondering where she might want to sit for lunch.

                “Somewhere quiet,” Suzy answered, glaring at every student who walked passed her.

Tae-Yeon nodded and led her out of the cafeteria where they sat on an open patch of grass behind a large tree. Suzy nodded in approval and sat down.

                “So, where do you usually sit at lunch?” Tae-Yeon asked, trying to create small conversation between the two.

                “Library,” Answered Suzy.

Tae-Yeon nodded in recognition before the two girls sat there in silence. Suzy groaned internally. She knew that she shouldn’t be so cold to the only person who she actually ever talked with. She knew Tae-Yeon wanted her to continue the conversation, and so she forced herself to ask Tae-Yeon a question in return.

                “Where do you usually hang?” Suzy tried her best to force a smile.

                “Anywhere really…if there’s an empty space, then I guess I’ll sit there.” She answered, returning Suzy’s smile.

                “Where are your friends?” Asked Suzy, having a quick glance around.

                “I have no friends…”

Suzy could hear the sadness in Tae-Yeon’s voice. She had originally thought that Tae-Yeon would have had a lot of friends, what with her bubbly personality and friendly attitude towards others. Guess she was wrong to assume that.

Another silence enveloped them.

From the corner of her eye, Suzy noticed a group of boys running towards them, well, not really towards them, but towards the empty patch of grass beside them. She sighed once again as the boys started laughing at an unheard joke. She would never get a normal, quiet lunch break in this school.

Tae-Yeon, upon hearing Suzy sigh, looked up, seeing the group of boys.

                “Tae-Yeon! Finally made a friend, huh? Wow, and she’s pretty hot too! Want to introduce us?” Said a boy from the group.

Tae-Yeon flushed a deep red, keeping her eyes down. Suzy wanted to slap the boy; one for insulting Tae-Yeon like that, and two, for his immature comment about her.

Suzy looked up, glaring at the group of boys.

“Shut up.” She said the words slowly, as if she were saying them to a toddler.

“Oooh, scary!” The boys laughed once again.

“Immature bastards.” Suzy averted her attention back to her half-eaten sandwich, ignoring the word ‘’ that came out of one of the boy’s mouths.

“Suzy…” Tae-Yeon whispered, trying to get her to be quiet.

“So her name is Suzy? Well, Suzy don’t you think you’re so brave?” The same boy spoke again.

                Suzy ignored him yet again, gulfing down another bite of her sandwich.

                “Oi! I was talking to you!” He came closer, pulling her up from the ground where she was sitting so that she was standing up.

                “Get you filthy hands off me,” Suzy threatened, glaring intensely at the boy.

                “Why should I?” He challenged, glaring right back at her.

Suzy pulled her hand back, getting ready to punch his arrogant face when a hand came in between the two, pushing the boy away from Suzy.

                “Enough Taemin; there’s no point in getting angry at a girl,” said the boy who had intervened the argument.

                “Onew, the girl is so annoying!” Taemin shouted.

                “God Taemin, why would you even pick a fight with a girl in the first place?” Asked another boy.

                “Because he’s an idiot,” Answered another.

                Throughout the whole commotion, only one boy remained silent as he stood by one side, reading his book. He didn’t seem to care about what was going on around him.

                “Taemin, just leave her alone,” Said Onew.

                With a loud ‘humph’, Taemin walked off, along with the others, with the boy reading the book following silently behind.

                “Bastards,” Suzy said again, wrinkling her nose in pure disgust.

                “Suzy, thanks for sticking up for me,” Tae-Yeon looked as if she were about to cry.

                “No need to thank me; that boy needed some disciplining.” Stated Suzy, shrugging nonchalantly.

                “He’s always like that though; I don’t really care anymore,”

                “Are they in our grade?” Asked Suzy.

                “No, they’re all seniors apart from the boy you just argued with, Taemin. He’s in our grade. Extremely arrogant too, unlike his brothers, or so they refer to each other.” Tae-Yeon took a quick glance at Suzy, making sure that she was still paying attention before she continued. “Onew, he’s like the leader of their group; they all listen to him. The boy who asked Taemin why he would pick a fight with you was Key, and the boy who answered was Minho.”

                Suzy nodded, keeping a note in her mind that she should avoid them from now on to stop future arguments that gave her headaches. Her eyes suddenly trailed to the last boy, the only one Tae-Yeon didn’t mention.

                “Who’s that guy?” Suzy pointed directly at him.

                “That’s Jonghyun. Cute, isn’t he? But extremely quiet. I’ve only heard him talk about twice, and only because the teacher asked him a question. He’s like the group nerd, I guess. But coming from a well-off family, I wouldn’t expect any less.” Tae-Yeon sighed dreamily.

                Suzy kept her eyes on Jonghyun. It wasn’t until she saw a ball flying her way that she snapped out of her daze. She caught the ball, staring at it briefly before she looked up at the person collecting it.

Onew.

She was extremely annoyed at the fact that they were throwing a ball around where she was trying to eat peacefully. She contemplated on whether or not to return the ball, but in the end she threw it back at him. She was already as pissed as she could get; she didn’t want another argument.

Suzy smiled to herself as she eyed the last piece of her sandwich. It was always her favourite part, to finish off the sandwich. She didn’t know why, but the last bite was always the tastiest bite.

She opened , about to devour the last remnants of her sandwich, when a ball came flying out of nowhere towards her, smashing into her head. The pain was quite distinct, but what drove Suzy over the edge was when the ball had hit her, she had moved her hands to cover her head, meaning that she had dropped the remains of her sandwich on the ground.

She glared at her now destroyed lunch. It took all of her self-control to move her head to look up at the culprit. She ground her teeth together, trying to spit out the name of the culprit.

“…Onew…”

===============

---Saranghaeyo---