Deck The Halls

Pre-chorus

 

Jessica and Yoona watched as Hyoyeon and Sunny played with their two year old daughter. It took quite some time before the adoption papers got settled but she’s definitely happy that the two are now the official parents of Yerin.

 

The little girl was found by the woman who runs the orphanage. There was no note. Whoever the kids’ parents are, they just left her at the door without anything but a blanket and a pacifier on .

 

“She’s too cute!” Yoona exclaimed as she fondly gazed at the little child. Yerin walked towards her and took her hand, mumbling and pulling her.

 

Sunny smiled. “Do you want to eat your snack with Yoona-unnie?” Yerin cutely nodded and Yoona felt like she just melted right then and there. “We’ll go eat with Yoona-unnie then.”

 

Yoona stood up gleefully, leaving the two best friends alone in the living room.

 

Hyoyeon nudged Jessica playfully. “How’s the new girlfriend? Better than her sister, I hope.”

 

Jessica scoffed. “Too soon, Hyo.”

 

“Still too soon? Oh, come on!”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes and tried to steer away from the Taeyeon-related topic. No pun intended. “We did it in a car.”

 

“What’s so shocking about that? The first time you met was the first night you ed.” It earned her a hit on the back of her head.

 

“Language, Hyo, sheesh! You have a daughter now.” Hyoyeon shrugged in reply. “And it’s shocking because it’s our first time doing it and it’s inside a car.”

 

“Your first time to do what? I don’t get it. You’ve had plenty of times before.”

 

Jessica frowned. She still cringes at the term. It still felt weird using it. “It’s our first time making love.”

 

Hyoyeon sniggered. Her best friend mumbled it but she still caught it and she felt what Jessica was feeling at that moment. “That’s cringe-worthy. How could you tell the difference?”

 

The Jung gasped. “You’re married! You can’t tell the difference when you and Sunny just have as a result of your hormones from when you and her do it because you feel like if you don’t kiss her and touch her on places that you’re the only one allowed to touch, you’d spontaneously combust?”

 

“You mean to tell me that’s not the same thing?” Hyoyeon cackled when Jessica roughly shoved her shoulder.

 

“It’s different. It’s not just . It’s…it’s you two becoming one and you’re not just doing it out of lust. You do it out of love.”

 

Hyoyeon stared at her suspiciously before breaking out into a grin. “I thought you were going to sing that Spice Girls’ song.”

 

“There’s no point talking to you, is there?”

 

Hyoyeon ignored it. “Are you saying you love Yoona now? That’s some progress.”

 

“When did I say that?”

 

“You do it out of love,” Hyoyeon imitated her in the most annoying way.

 

“She did it!”

 

“You didn’t take part in it?” Hyoyeon snorted and Jessica wanted to carry her to the balcony and throw her off.

 

“I like her a lot, okay?”

 

“Ah, but you still don’t love her. Not yet at least.”

 

Unknown to the two girls, Yoona heard their conversation and the younger girl couldn’t help but wonder how long it’ll take for Jessica to return her feelings for her. The six week separation, physically at least, wasn’t going to help. She shrugged it off though. She didn’t want to be a debbie downer.

 

Hyoyeon saw her walking towards them. “Is Yerin done with her snack?”

 

“Yes but she wants to eat more. Sunny-unnie refuses to feed her since she’s scared that Yerin would have a tummy ache later so now she’s throwing a fit.”

 

She saw Hyoyeon stood up after throwing Jessica a meaningful look. Jessica’s best friend also gave her a thumbs up before entering her daughter’s play room.

 

“Why did Hyoyeon-unnie do that?”

 

“She’s random like that.”

 

Yoona sat next to her and she rested her head on the younger Kim’s shoulder.

 

“I want a kid like Yerin. She’s just so cute. I’m afraid I’ll spoil her though.”

 

Jessica didn’t have to look up to tell that Yoona had a huge smile on her face. She sounded so giddy talking about the child. She felt Yoona’s lips on her forehead.

 

 

“You’re going to be fine while I’m away, right?”

 

“Mm-hmm.”

 

“Good because I need you to look after my sister and to make sure she doesn’t commit murder or seriously injure Tiffany.”

 

“Here I thought you were sincerely concerned about my well-being,” Yoona said, faking her disappointment. She knew Jessica too well now. Upset Yoona meant sweet and caring Jessica. She gets a bonus kiss too if Jessica was in a really good mood and her pout is to the older Jung’s liking.

 

Jessica really did kiss her but it was only a small peck on the lips. “I know you already know me but don’t think that I don’t know you. You’re only faking to get a kiss from me.” She pinched Yoona’s nose and giggled.

 

“It worked though.”

 

“I still outwitted you.”

 

Yoona smiled, understanding the reference. “Are you excited for it?”

 

“I’m nervous to be honest. If I screw this up then I wouldn’t have a face to show to my bosses back home.”

 

Yoona pulled Jessica closer and the latter buried her face on the crook of the younger Kim’s neck. “I’m sure you’ll do well and you have your seniors to assist you and help you so don’t be too nervous.”

 

“There’s another thing that worries me. What if most of the celebrities we got would make a fuss about being there and forget the fact that they joined and we didn’t force them to do so? Celebrities could be such drama queens sometimes.” She remembered the high-profile celebrity she worked for again.

 

“I’m sure my sister wouldn’t be like that so that’s one less problem.”

 

Your sister surely would find another way to bother me eventually.

 

She planted a kiss on the younger girl’s neck and wrapped an arm across her waist. “Don’t miss me too much,” she muttered.

 

“I don’t think that’s possible.”

 

“You are so cheesy. You’re good for Sica.”

 

Yoona’s ears perked up when she heard the nickname. “Sica?”

 

“That’s what we call her. It’s easier than her American name. Seriously, Sica, why didn’t your parents give you a much simpler name like Pink or Madonna.”

 

Jessica gave her best friend an annoyed glare. “That would be ridiculous.”

 

“I like it. Can I call you that?”

 

“NO!”

 

Yoona flinched at her sudden outburst but Jessica was quick to cover it up. “I like how you say ‘Jessica’ more. It sounds sweet and funny when it leaves your lips.”

 

She was partially lying. She does like how her name rolls out of Yoona’s tongue but the main reason why she didn’t want her to be calling her ‘Sica’ was because Taeyeon called her that. Besides her close friends and relatives, Taeyeon was the only one to use that nickname for her.

 

Sunny, quickly catching on what Jessica was trying to say, said something to save her . “See what I told you? You’re rubbing off on her now. She’s also being cheesy.”

 

“It’s making us cringe,” Hyoyeon added.

 

Jessica glared at her. “Kim Hyoyeon, take it back or else I will never agree to babysit your daughter.”

 

Hyoyeon sniggered, hitting her knee repeatedly as she crouched down. “I will never ask you to babysit Yerin. I would rather ask Krystal but never you.”

 

The girls in the room, save for the Jung, burst into fits of laughter.

 

“Mean people.”

 

 

---

 

 

Krystal heard the doorbell and grudgingly stood up from the couch, pausing her game. She opened the door and was greeted by a man who holding a fruit basket and a box was on the floor.

 

 

“I’m looking for a Jung Jessica.”

 

The younger Jung stared at him for a while and turned her head to call out for her sister. “Unnie, someone’s looking for you.”

 

Jessica put her pen down and stood up from where she was sitting, walking up to the door.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I have a delivery for a Jung Jessica.”

 

Jessica received it and signed her name on the dotted lines. “Thank you. Krys, could you give me a hand please?”

 

Krystal sighed and grabbed the fruit basket, bringing it to the table while Jessica brought the box inside.

 

“Who’s it from? Some sort of NGO, Red Cross or what? That’s a lot of ramyun,” she said soon as she saw the contents of the box.

 

“If by NGO you mean Kim Yoona, then you’re right.”

 

“Yoona-unnie gave these things?” Her sister nodded. “Speaking of Yoona-unnie, how come she rarely comes here? Did you guys fight?”

 

“I told her not to come here so often and focus more on passing the exams.”

 

Krystal nodded and giggled at how her sister could easily boss Yoona around. “So why all these food?”

 

“Yoong only agreed on not coming here because I agreed on her sending me all these things. I somehow told her that I’d be missing ramyun once I fly to another country next week. She had this idea to make me eat tons of it. I told her I could just bring some with me but apparently, that’s not any better because eating ramyun in South Korea is different from eating ramyun in another country.”

 

She shook her head when she remembered how Yoona said it. Sometimes she thinks Yoona has lost the ability to hear herself and the ridiculous things she says.

 

The younger Jung grinned and picked up a ramyun. “You’re so dense sometimes, unnie. She’s doing this so you’d get fat and no one would find you attractive. I have to hand it to Yoona-unnie. That was very clever of her.”

 

Jessica took it away from her. “That’s something you would do, you possessive little brat.”

 

She pouted at her older sister.

 

“You still can’t say that that wasn’t part of her intention.” She sat on one of the stools and mindlessly stared at her sister who was opening the packet of flavouring. “So about Taeyeon, do you think she’s plotting something?”

 

“That’s what you get for watching too much drama on TV. You make it sound like she’s some sort of villain on a soap opera.”

 

“I’m not. I’m just saying that there’s a possibility that she’s doing this because she wants to get closer to you again and make you cheat on Yoona-unnie which would result in your break up. She would then step in again and let you cry on her small shoulder and BAM, you two would get back together and after a few months, she’s going to break up with you again. You’d both lose her and Yoona.”

 

“That was very elaborate but I doubt that’s close to the truth.”

 

“Still plausible. Can you make me a ramyun as well, please, dear sister?” Krystal pursed her lips and clasped her palms together and Jessica knew it would be fruitless to say no.

 

 

---

 

 

Yoona watched as the older girl pack her bags. She just got back from school, grade cards in hand. She thought of showing them to Jessica to prove that she did her end of the deal.

 

Right now, she’s sitting on the edge of the older Jung’s bed, sulking because she got reminded again that Jessica would be gone for six weeks.

 

Jessica and the crew along with the contestants were scheduled to leave a day after Christmas which was four days from now. She turned her head to look at Yoona and smiled, walking towards the girl and taking the cards from her hand. Her smile got wider seeing her grades.

 

“I honestly didn’t expect you to get good grades considering that you skip classes half the time.” She got no response so she set aside the grade cards to cup Yoona’s face with her hands. “Do you want to go out tonight? We could go shop things for Christmas and then eat dinner. My treat.”

 

Yoona nodded but she still was looking passive. Jessica sighed and went to her closet, looking for a shirt to change into.

 

They were on their way to the nearby grocery and Yoona was still not being her usual noisy self.

 

“What are your plans for Christmas?”

 

Yoona looked out the window and propped her chin on top of her elbow. “I wanted to spend it with you but I also want to spend it with my sister since you’re both going to be away for long.”

 

Jessica knew that she would either regret what she was going to say next or it would be the best decision she’s made before the year ends.

 

“Krystal and I could spend Christmas with you and your sister if that’s fine with you both.”

 

Yoona stared at her with wide opened. “Really?”

 

 

“Yeah, if your sister won’t mind, of course. Krystal said she didn’t have plans on going back to the states this Christmas.”

 

Yoona remained quiet but unlike seconds ago, she was now sporting a huge grin.

 

Krystal was indifferent to the idea of spending Christmas at the Kim’s and to be perfectly honest, Jessica expected her to throw a fit. They went to the Kim’s bearing gifts and scrumptious meals that they made with the help of Hyoyeon and Sunny. Well, actually, the couple made it themselves. The Jung sisters just bought the ingredients.

 

They were welcomed by Yoona since Taeyeon was inside the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on the dishes that she’s made.

 

“Hey,” Yoona greeted and placed a chaste kiss on Jessica’s lips while Krystal let herself in and sat on the Kim’s couch.

 

“Can I play video games?”

 

Jessica shot her a glare. “Can you act like the adult that you said you are?”

 

Krystal stuck her tongue out at her sister and switched her attention to her sister’s girlfriend. “Yoona-unnie, can I play your Guitar Hero please?”

 

Yoona rubbed the back of her neck, hesitant to say yes. “It would be fine by me but that’s Taeyeon-unnie’s game.”

 

Taeyeon entered the room and said, “I wouldn’t mind you using it unless you’re like Yoong who gets possessed by some dead rock star and slams the guitar after playing with it.”

 

Yoona playfully shoved her older sister. “That was one time. You’re never gonna let me forget it, huh?”

 

“I’m not gonna destroy it and I’d be using the drum set, not the guitar.”

 

“Go ahead then.”

 

Krystal, despite having an issue with Kim Teayeon, grinned and quickly set up the game.

 

“Shouldn’t we eat first?” Her sister said in a calm manner but she knew very well that inside she’s probably a volcano just waiting for the right time to erupt.

 

Krystal pouted and grudgingly stood up, walking towards the dining area and leaving the three girls behind.

 

“She sure is feeling the spirit of Christmas,” Yoona stated sarcastically.

 

“You were always like that when we were younger. You opened the gifts early and you refuse to eat so you could play with all of them.”

 

“Unnie,” Yoona whined. She didn’t find it necessary for her sister to reveal stuff like that.

 

Surprisingly, their dinner went well. Krystal was well behaved and didn’t try to say something mean about Taeyeon. It was probably because Taeyeon was going to let her play with her video game. It made Jessica think about the possibility of her sister selling her in the future just so she could get cool games to play with.

 

When everyone finished their chocolate mousse cake courtesy of Hyoyeon and Sunny, they all went to the living room for the gift giving part and for Krystal to finally play.

 

“Who should go first?”

 

Krystal raised her hand and rummaged through her bag. She brought out several Tic Tacs in three different colours that were messily taped together.

 

“White, Orange and Green Tic Tacs?”

 

“You’re welcome,” she said as she patted Yoona’s head and sat back down, busying herself with setting up the drum set. “I’m on a tight budget.”

 

“And by that she means she spent all the money that our parents gave her to buy an expensive gift for Tiffany.”

 

“Oohh, little Jung could be sweet too, huh?” Yoona teased but it fell on deaf ears.

 

Taeyeon looked around and spotted a huge item under their tree. “Is it that big thing there?”

 

Krystal simply nodded.

 

“Wow, that’s a huge gift,” said Yoona.

 

“It’s a pink Prada purse that she put inside a small box which she then put inside a bigger box and wrapped in all sort of papers known to mankind that are stuck together by straw, glue, adhesive tapes and I think she included a rope as well.”

 

Taeyeon and Yoona laughed, finding the whole thing hilarious and clever at the same time. They both thought of doing it next Christmas.

 

“All of you are such kids,” the older Jung mumbled.

 

“Why’d you bring it here though? You could’ve given it to her before you went here.”

 

Krystal scoffed. “I’m not going to give that to her directly. I’ll instruct her to come here and get it herself.”

 

“Why?”

 

 

The youngest girl breathed out of her nose. “Just because! Just give your gifts to each other and let me play in peace.”

 

Her older sister shook her head as she picked up her gift for her sister. “Here.”

 

“Thanks, unnie.” Krystal didn’t look at it though, not even a glance.

 

“You’re not going to open it?”

 

“Unnie, I was there when you were wrapping it. I even told you not wrap it anymore because I’ve already seen it.”

 

“Why couldn’t you just open it? Jesus Christ, Krys!”

 

The Kim sisters watched in amusement as the sisters argued but Krystal eventually backed down and opened the gift. She faked a gasp and exclaimed, “Oh my god, no way! A hoodie for the third time in a row.”

 

“You gave me a Tic Tac. Be grateful.” Jessica crossed her arms across her chest.

 

Krystal rolled her eyes but smirked seeing her sister’s mood go down. “Such a drama queen. Your real gift is on your bed. I put it there before we left and it’s not some hoodie.”

 

Jessica did a hundred and eighty and picked up her gift for Yoona. “Open it later,” she said, handing the present to her girlfriend.

 

“It’s something naughty.” Krystal chuckled when Yoona seemed like she believed it.

 

“It’s not.” She put out a small rectangular box from a paper bag and handed it over to Taeyeon. “Here. I know…I read somewhere that you still choose to go old school and compose songs with pen and paper so…”

 

Taeyeon opened it and true enough it was a pen from the Disney Store.

 

“I got it online,” Jessica added.

 

Taeyeon would’ve been ecstatic at the fact that Jessica still remembered how much of a er she is for stuff from Disney store if the pen didn’t have villains on it.

 

“Villains, huh?” she muttered as she stared at the print.

 

“It was the only pen available.”

 

“Thank you. I actually like these villains; Cruella, Maleficent, Mother Gothel and Queen of Hearts. My favourite’s Cruella De Vil though.”

 

Jessica bit her lip. She would’ve laughed if the circumstances were different but she knew better. She’s not supposed to let Yoona know that she knew her older sister prior to their first meeting. She also wasn’t supposed to let anyone know that there were times when Taeyeon referred to her as Cruella De Vil.

 

When it was Taeyeon’s turn, she asked Yoona to get Krystal’s gift inside her room.

 

“Whoa! Did you get me a five-year old kid and put it in a box then wrapped it because that’s huge.”

 

“I want to apologize in behalf of my sister but I just can’t get myself to do it.”

 

Yoona placed it in front of Krystal and the latter pried it open from its wrapper. She’s only seen the top of the box but it was enough for her to break out into a wide smile.

 

“It’s from Yoona and I.”

 

“Nah, I only bought the Guitar Hero 5. Unnie bought the world tour one with the full band set up.”

 

Krystal tore away the wrapper completely and muttered, “Oh my god. Best Christmas gift ever.”

 

Her sister heard it and although the natural reaction was to be upset but seeing as to how Krystal really liked the Kim sisters’ gift, she shrugged the feeling of being jealous.

 

“Thank you,” Krystal sincerely told Yoona and Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon gave her present to Jessica. “You don’t have to open it now.”

 

Jessica knew well that it was a euphemism for ‘Open it once you’re alone.’

 

“Alright, my turn!”

 

“Is it more ramyun?” Krystal taunted.

 

“It’s something better.”

 

“Kimchi?”

 

“It’s not food.”

 

The younger Jung shrugged and went back to inspecting her new toy.

 

“Here.”

 

“A key? What’s this? A key to your heart or something cheesy like that?”

 

Yoona shook her head and handed a wooden box to her. It was a small pine wooden box with a red acrylic lid. “I don’t know if it’ll fit your luggage but you have to bring it with you and open it once you get there.”

 

“Why can’t I open it now?”

 

“Because you’re supposed to open it when you leave and I didn’t spend too much on it since I know you’re not that materialistic.”

 

“This is too bulky…but yeah, sure I’ll bring it.”

 

“Can I open your present now?”

 

“You can open it once I leave for the Philippines.”

 

Yoona grunted but remembered something. She ran back to her room and when she got out, she was holding something behind her back. She walked towards Jessica and pulled her close using her free hand. The older Jung cocked her head back and arched a brow.

 

“What?”

 

Yoona grinned and finally revealed the thing behind her back. “Mistletoe.”

 

Jessica pecked her lips which made Yoona whine. “Come on, Jung Jessica can do better than that.” The older girl pulled her by the collar of her shirt and dragged her to her room for some alone time.

 

Krystal who was discreetly observing everything from the sidelines tried to get rid of the now awkward atmosphere. “You wanna play?”

 

Taeyeon must’ve thought that the younger Jung would miss the sudden change in expression but Krystal’s hawk-eyes caught it.

 

“Sure.”

 

 

_____

lol sorry for not updating. i enjoyed christmas and new year's day too much with my cousins.

i just realized how much of a challenge this is because i have to remember most of the details and i'm not even sure if the readers would  remember things so...

not revealing other characters' perspectives is difficult too because i'm relying for you guys to somehow understand the things that are happening just by the things that i reveal here and it's not much, i know but yeah, thanks for sticking by.

and it will end with yoonsic. as much as i love to end this with taengsic, i would like to keep my word.

random christmas song for the title and i nkow it's not christmas anymore but still

how could've i forgotten about yerin