Study

Always Smile

That simple action that makes a million of teenage girls melt when I did it has no effect on this girl. Now she’s staring at me with her adorable eyes. Is it me or her eyes seem to have a sparkle at its orbs?

The next thing she said surprised me more. I never knew she would say that. Hell, I never thought she would even talk!

“I can do better.” Was all she stated in a serious tone.

 Frozen.

That was the word that could describe what I was feeling. I face palmed myself mentally, regretting what I did. That girl got up from her squatting position, making her slightly taller than me. I looked up at her, anxious to find out what she was going to do next.

Unexpectedly, she patted my head and with the cutest smile she said,

“But you were really cute, oppa ^^”

The heavenly feeling~~

Without bothering to wait for me, she sat on the swing that I on earlier. Snapping out of singing my victory song in my head, I went and took the swing next to her. Before I could say anything, she flashed me a smile, telling me to call her Nulli.

I nodded. She looked at me and I looked at her. We remained that way for a few minutes until she broke the silence.

“I see you don’t want me to know your name…”

“Ah! I’m sorry!” I exclaimed, bowing sheepishly.

“It’s okay, no one does…” she voiced barely even a whisper but I certainly heard it.

I don’t know what happened to me but my body moved on its own and pulled that little girl into my embrace. Ignoring her shocked expression, I replied,

“My name is Luhan.”

***

I got to know pretty much about Nulli. Like what was her favourite food, the colour she loved, her hobbies and so on but every time I touch the topic about society- friends and school, I noticed she gets all quiet and sensitive. So I decided to let that topic slip away in our friendly conversation.

Nulli, as she preferred me calling her that, is no normal child. She’s a strong girl I can tell but there was something missing from her.

It was the spark that all children have.

Only she didn’t.

I realized that the way she thinks is very rational, that it scares me at times. Yes, she would sob and whimper sometimes but not only children does that right?

I asked about her favourite cartoons, her favourite toys. I have even asked her about Barbie and she goes all like ‘what are those?’

When there was silence and we had nothing to talk about, she brought out the topic on the country’s economy, telling how its dropping and stuff. I was of course, astonished by her general knowledge. To be honest, I think she’s more mature than me.

It was great that she was smart and aware of what’s happening around the country but when you’re a kid, shouldn’t you be playing outside with your friends? Shouldn’t you be playing in the rain, jumping into puddles? Shouldn’t you be whining for toys? Shouldn’t you be rotting your teeth with candies?

Yes, you should.

When I was 7, I did all those things. I didn’t give a damn about politics, economy or even studies! I wasn’t even caring about those topics right now in my age! It was one of the times where I enjoyed the most. I was young, I didn’t have any responsibilities and my parents or teachers would assist me if I needed any help.

But Nulli, you’re not like that, are you?

The younger girl was telling some story about a drama she watched before. When she was done, I decided to get to know her even better. But knowing her fragile attitude, I questioned her whether I could ask a personal question. She hesitated at first but soon nodded.

“Why were you crying?” I asked cautiously.

She looked down and played with the two strings that came out from her hoodie. She kept silent for a while, making the atmosphere tense up.

“You don’t have to tell me if-”

“I told you. People hate me.” She cut me off.

“What’s makes you think so, Nulli?”

“I don’t have any friends at all…” she mumbled sadly.

Impossible.

How can this sweet, innocent, not to mention, pretty girl not have friends? Isn’t making friends like the easiest thing? Well, it is, for me anyways.

“I am sure you are confused.” She stated simply.

“Um... Well, yes, kind of…”

“My parents love to drink. They gamble and party all night.” She explained quietly.

She inhaled a big amount of cold oxygen and continued.

“I used to have friends. But their parents told them to not be friends with me because I was the offspring of two notorious beings…”

I nodded understandingly, even though I was struggling to keep up with her explanation because of her freaking high vocabulary she used.

She totally does not have the mind of a seven-year-old.

“Even my best friend had to leave me. I am the only child which means that without my parents, I only have myself as family.”

“You must have been really depressed…”

“Stress. That’s what I have. How do I realise it?” she asked in her naturally cute tone but the sentences she said didn’t match with it.

S-She couldn’t have self-harmed herself right? She’s only seven for pete’s sake! No way she could-

“I study.” She snapped me out from my thoughts.

“What?”

“Studying helps me relieve stress…”

I never thought studying could let someone feel better. Studying adds more stress in me not lessen it. Well, at least it’s better than what I thought. And I guess that explains her cleverness.

“People say I changed, but I don’t see any difference. Only that I don’t smile that often I guess…” she whispered.

Although I just met her, I knew that she changed too.

Was she bubbly, like me, once before?

It saddened me to know that parents, guardians of the child, was the cause of her condition in the first place. I suddenly felt grateful for having awesome parents but I came to reality when Nulli spoke again.

Studying helps me relive stress… But not anymore…”

 


 

I FINALLY UPDATED I KNOW XD

i'm sorry it's a stupid chapter...