Chapter 6

Denial Is Just A River in Egypt

Author’s Note: Hey guys, it’s still 25th of December in my time zone and so I thought it’d be a good Christmas present from me to all of you if I post the new chapter of this story. It’s been almost two weeks since my last update, sorry about that. Anyway. Please enjoy this chapter and Merry Christmas! Hope you have a good time/holiday!

 

 

Chapter 6

By: zielddhy/Sharl

 

 

Donghae watched disinterestedly as his favorite author/cash cow paced back and forth across the wooden floor. This scene was much like a déjà vu, except for two things: instead of Kyuhyun's apartment this was Donghae's office, and instead of Donghae's doing the pacing, Kyuhyun's did.

 

"That man is driving me crazy! He keeps calling me and I thought that lawyers are supposed to be completely busy, you know, suing people and stuff. And yet he always find time to call! And when I don't answer it, he leaves me messages!"

 

Since about thirty minutes ago, Donghae had realized that Kyuhyun was talking about Siwon the lawyer. Siwon the lawyer, who managed to clear up Kyuhyun's name off plagiarism. Siwon the lawyer, who not only won the lawsuit, but also made the accuser pay the damages amount of 900,000 dollars. Siwon the lawyer, who from the sound of it, had been bothering Kyuhyun with endless messages and calls.

 

Even an idiot could plainly see that Siwon the lawyer held deep fascination towards Kyuhyun, but maybe Kyuhyun was stupider than an idiot. Either that, or he was really in denial.

 

On the other hand Kyuhyun was still grumbling and muttering. "Seriously, the way he keeps going he should changes career from a lawyer to debt collector. This is an act of invasion to my privacy, man, I can press a lawsuit against him!"

 

Donghae consulted his watch. "Wow, that was three minutes of my life I'll never get back."

 

Kyuhyun threw him a withering glare and the editor sighed. “Look man, if you don’t like him calling you, just tell him that. Say that he bothers you and you don’t want to see him nor hearing his voice anymore. It’s simple, bro.”

 

The author’s glare increased somehow. “Well as a matter of fact, bro, I can’t really tell him that, can I? I mean, the guy wins the lawsuit for me and even goes as far as making that bastard pays 900,000 dollars! And Siwon doesn’t want any of that, all that money goes to my bank account!”

 

Donghae sniffled, a bit miff at the fact that he did not receive a penny from those 900,000 dollars. He had suggested –politely, of course– that as Kyuhyun’s editor he was entitled to have some, but of course Kyuhyun was a cheapskate and he refused. Well at least the author treated him to an expensive sushi place the other day and Donghae ordered the most expensive items on the menu. Hey, always play the game to your favor, man.

 

The two of them were at Donghae’s office and were supposed to discuss the plot of Kyuhyun’s newest book. Donghae had read it (okay he just flipped through it but it was damn hard to concentrate where there was this constant cursing about Choi Siwon this and Choi Siwon that) and he deemed it to be pretty good. Anything Kyuhyun wrote that had a murder here and a body there was always good.

 

But somehow there was something off about the characters, Donghae didn’t know what. Especially with that Hikaru character; oh well, he could always reread them again later. As soon as his author successfully snapped out from that not-so-secret obsession towards Siwon the lawyer.

 

If Donghae didn’t know Kyuhyun any better he would say that his cash cow was in love.

 

On a second thought, it wasn’t such an impossible notion. He really needed to see this Choi Siwon. “Hey Kyu, do you think I can meet with this guy? The lawyer?”

 

Kyuhyun whirled around so fast he nearly did a perfect pirouette. His large eyes narrowed suspiciously, “Why do you want to do that? And no, you cannot meet him even if that’s the last thing you’ll do on earth before you’re dead.”

 

Donghae raised an eyebrow. “Whoa calm down boy, no need to be hostile. I was just thinking that, you know, since he won the case free of charge for you and all, me as your beloved editor and publisher –he ignored Kyuhyun’s scowl here– should give him a proper thanks, yeah? Some kind of gratitude or some sort.”

 

The author relaxed visibly. “Oh. Well. I guess you don’t need to do that. You’re the one who abandoned me in the first place,” he pointed an accusing finger to his editor, “So the answer is no. Besides, I already say thanks to him so I think we got that covered.”

 

“…if you’re sure.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded. “I am sure. Now, can you pay attention so that we can discuss my plot?”

 

“Err, you’re the one who got distracted in the first place there bro. We were discussing your plot before you launch into a full-blown tirade of Choi Siwon.” Apparently this was a wrong thing to say, because Kyuhyun immediately scowled and launched another tirade. Yawning a bit, Donghae chose to ignore his author and tuned him out completely. Hey, he had better things to think (something that rhyme with Hyukjae and , preferably) than listening to Kyuhyun right now.

 

By the time the editor was finished thinking, he could only hear the end of Kyuhyun’s long rant. “… that idiot! I really hope he calls today, so I can hang up on him.”

 

Donghae wondered when his friend will realize that Siwon the lawyer managed to find his way to Kyuhyun’s heart.

 

 

***************************

 

 

Changmin could literally feel his nerve twitched. "So? Will you do this?"

 

Yunho peered at the man in front of him from the top of expensive mahogany desk. When Changmin had called him today, saying that he wanted to talk to him, Yunho was more than happy to postpone his meeting. His secretary and his vice president were crying their eyes out when they heard that. But then again, Changmin had never requested to meet him and so the CEO was intrigued. He Was even more intrigued when the young man told him the reason. 

 

The architect sighed. Maybe coming to Yunho and asking for his help wasn't such a good idea. Maybe his hyung was lying and actually didn't know James Howard personally. Changmin cursed inwardly, he knew there was something suspicious in Yunho's business. Never mind the expensive looking office; it could all be just a ruse.

 

Yunho's voice broke him from his musings. "I need to know first why you are doing this, Min. It's not like you at all. Usually you just received a client's project and do it right on the dot."

 

Changmin scowled. "I already told you the reason. Success fee from a hotel is higher than from an apartment. That's it."

 

"But by changing the function of a building it changes the whole structure. Drainage, air ventilation, rooms..."

 

"Yes, thank you Hyung, i didn't know all those things because my architect school never taught me that," he replied sarcastically.

 

Yunho pouted and suddenly Changmin felt like a sense of deja vu. Damn it, Yunho spent too much time with Jaejoong. The CEO looked at him suspiciously and whispered, "There's something you're not telling me. Something that triggers you all these things. What is it, Min?"

 

Realizing that Changmin wasn't going to answer, Yunho cleared his throat and casually looked at some paperwork. "Don't tell me," he said nonchalantly, "a certain marine biologist has something to do with this." Yunho glanced up just in time to see his dongsaeng rolling his eyes. "Is it him? It is!" he shouted triumphantly as Changmin scowled. "Are you finally agreeing to a monogamous relationship, dongsaeng? I never thought that a marine biologist would be the one who melts your heart!  Oh Minnie, that is so sweet, finally you fall for-"

 

"Okay fine! Stop it, okay? I'll tell you the reason alright, just stop being like..." his brain scrambled for a right word, "... Jaejoong."

 

Seriously, this was getting scary. It felt like Yunho and Jaejoong were molding into each other personalities. Changmin shuddered as he suddenly remembered the way Jaejoong looked at him the other day, very much alike Yunho usually did.

 

"Junsu has convinced me about the importance of... Environment and stuff. So, yeah, I guess it'd be better if the marine habitat at the construction site is preserved as a tourism spot. That way, the building can be converted into hotels so the client won't get mad. It's a win win solution," Changmin shrugged.

 

Yunho gave him a Jaejoong-like grin. "Well, I have to say that it's a sound plan. I'll talk to James tonight."

 

Changmin blinked. "Really? You're really going to do that?" you really know John Howard? He internally thought. 

 

Yunho nodded. "Yeah of course. I'll help you win your crush, Min," he said with a knowing wink.

 

"Okay first of all I don't need help with crush, if there is any," Changmin hastily added when he saw the older man smirking, "and second of all, I'm doing this for money. All those talks about Junsu is only because... He has an amazing," his mind whirled around. Passion. Kindness. Smile. "...," his mouth said.

 

The gremlin inside his brain immediately balked and protesting. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

 

I didn't lie; he really has an amazing .

 

But there's something more and you don't want to admit it.

 

Yunho smiled internally as he watched the man in front of him lost in his own thoughts. He wondered when Changmin realized that he was in denial all along, because no one would go into that much trouble for just one piece of .

 

 

***************

 

 

The doorbell ramp cheerfully, a complete opposite to what Kyuhyun felt at this moment. His mood was particularly bad thanks to one stubborn lawyer. Apparently no amount of rejection could faze that man. Kyuhyun had tried everything: gentle saying, implied meaning and even totally blunt, but no, the other remained as cheerful as ever every time he called Kyuhyun.

 

Sighing, the author reluctantly got up and walked towards the door, cursing one Choi Siwon all the way there.

 

He opened the door and immediately greeted with a mix of colors and a blinding smile. Siwon was at his doorstep, holding a huge bouquet of flowers. And not just any flowers, THAT flowers. 

 

Out of reflex Kyuhyun covered his nose but it was too late: the pollen had already reached him. Almost immediately he could the effect. His eyes watering, lips began to swell, nose tickling and he sneezed into Siwon's expensive Armani suit.

 

"Kyu, are you al-" Siwon didn't get the chance to finish as Kyuhyun bolted out and ran across the hall. He stopped at an apartment next to his. 

 

"Leeteuk-hyung! Leeteuk-hyung!" Kyuhyun began to knock frantically. He rang the doorbell, pounding on the door and rang the bell again. Ten seconds later the door opened revealing a grumpy looking Kangin.

 

"Who the - Kyuhyun?" the doctor blinked, "What happened to you?"

 

"Ask him," Kyuhyun mumbled behind his hands and pushed through Kangin. "Where is Teukie-hyung?"

 

"He's at the bookstore. Hold on, ask who?"

 

"I think he means... Me," Siwon piped in timidly from the doorway.

 

Kangin turned around and was about to ask Siwon what are you doing here when he saw what the lawyer was carrying. he immediately burst out laughing. "You brought him flowers? And on top of that you brought him sunflowers?"

 

Siwon frowned. "What's wrong with these? Oh -" his eyes widened.

 

"Yup," Kangin said between guffaws, "Kyuhyun is allergic to sunflowers, especially the pollens." the doctor wiped out a few happy tears. 

 

Siwon was about to say sorry to Kyuhyun when the said author began to sneeze again. And again. And again. By the time he was finished, Kyuhyun's nose was red. He stood up, took a deep breath and was relieved that he still could breath. "Stop talking about me and help me!" he scowled.

 

"Okay, calm down kid, I'm going to give you a shot," Kangin said as he chuckled again. "Don't you have any medicine at your apartment?"

 

"I've run out," Kyuhyun mumbled. "Besides I'm always careful not to be anywhere near sunflowers."

 

Siwon felt bad. "I'm sorry Kyuhyun, I really am. I didn't know that." he took one step closer to Kyuhyun but the other immediately took a step back. Just then the lawyer realized that he was still holding the sunflower bouquet. He smiled grimly, "I'll throw these away. And I'm really sorry. Can I get you anything?"

 

"Some food would be nice. Maybe some gimbap, ddukbokkie, bulgogie, bibimbap, and maybe... Hangwa?" Kangin suggested. Hey, he hadn't had any lunch yet and Leeteuk was not at home to cook for him. "Kyuhyun will need to eat first before he takes the medicine."

 

The lawyer scribbled everything down and nodded before leaving the room, sending one last apologetic look to Kyuhyun.

 

Kangin smiled triumphantly. Well, if the flowers weren’t hint enough, Siwon's eagerness to please the author did. That man was absolutely smitten. The doctor rummaged through his medical bag and pulled out a shot. Desensitizing the needle, he wondered if Kyuhyun also felt the same.

 

 

************************

 

 

Changmin nodded his thanks as Junsu handed him a clean, dry towel.

 

Patting himself dry, he looked at the marine biologist who was currently busy making some tea. The architect wondered at how interesting the day turned out to be. Initially he met Junsu at the marine recovery facility to tell the other that Yunho had amazingly succeeded convincing James Howard about the plan. 

 

As expected, Junsu was ecstatic and immediately invited him for lunch. He said that there was a good Italian restaurant nearby. Changmin's car was left at the facility and they walked the distance on foot. The food was as good as Junsu promised and Changmin found himself enjoying the lunch very much. Unfortunately the weather wasn't so supportive because on their way back, it began to rain. In just Matter of seconds they were soaking wet and Junsu instantly suggested that they go to his apartment to dry themselves off.

 

And so, here Changmin was, in Junsu's surprisingly luxurious apartment, seated at an expensive couch, wearing a pair of sweatpants and T-Shirt that were too small for him.

 

"You don't like rain?" Junsu asked as he put down a steaming cup of green tea.

 

"No I don't, i don't like getting wet with my clothes on, do you?" 

 

Junsu laughed. His laugh was contagious that Changmin couldn't help smiling a bit despite his wet condition. "I'm a marine biologist, of course I don't mind getting wet," the other replied, still chuckling a bit.

 

"Ah, of course. Sorry, never thought about it that way." the architect took a sip of his tea, marveling at the sudden warmth he felt.

 

"It's okay, no need to apologize." Changmin nodded to show that he heard the other. For few moments neither man talked, each contented to just enjoy the tea and the sound of rain pouring outside. 

 

Changmin used the time to look around the apartment, noting the lavish modern interior and expensive decor. He wondered how Junsu could afford to live like this because as far as he know, environmentalist doesn't really make that much money. After a while of debating with himself, he mustered some courage and said, "Can I ask you a personal question?" 

 

"How can I live like this when I'm just a marine biologist and obviously don't make much money from my lousy job?"

 

Changmin blinked. "I was going to say that in a more eloquent way, but yes, that's more or less about it."

 

Jungsu looked a bit uncomfortable. "I have a trust fund. My parents died in a car crash when I was twelve and they had left me and my brother some money."

 

"I didn't know you have a brother."

 

"He was in the car with them and so, yeah, I lost him too."

 

Changmin felt bad immediately. "I'm sorry."

 

"It’s okay, it's been so long already," Junsu managed a weak smile. "I have an uncle and he takes care of me since then."

 

The architect still felt guilty. Junsu had said it was alright but he knew he was still sad about them. Then again he would also feel bad if the same thing happened to him. He decided to lighten up the situation. "Are we talking about an uncle as in uncle or more of a sugar daddy uncle?"

 

Junsu hit him in the shoulder, "he's my mother's brother, you jerk." He grimaced before adding, "And now you're giving me images. Gross."

 

Changmin laughed but he saw a genuine small smile on Junsu's face and suddenly everything seemed brighter than before.

 

 

-End Chapter 6-