"Cliched, I Know" Act II

I Ship Us

I came to around the end of 4th period, nearing recess, with a fresh mind and this odd yet soothing feeling in my chest. I had on my school uniform – the blazer, pants and even my green sash tied neatly on arm, making me wonder who dressed me up.

Then the memories of the previous hour came back to me and the butterflies came flooding. To be exact, I didn’t remember everything but I knew enough to know that I am in love. And no one’s saying otherwise. But then I realized the one vital fact.

His name.

I didn’t get his ing name. I am an IDIOT. And just when I thought this whole bad luck crap had turned around.

With a huff, I marched out of the nurse’s office, intent on whining about all this to one of my more sensible friends during recess. Not the noobs Donghyun and Hyunseong who are supposedly wiser since they’re old. Hell to the no.

I need someone who’s not as nearly insane like the other two. Someone like Minwoo, probably. Even though the spoiled brat was 3 years younger than me, he gave some kick advice.

I easily pushed the cafeteria doors open – and speak of the devil.

There the freshman was, at one corner of the school canteen, face with his newest girlfriend of approximately 2 days, Jung-In. No, wait, it’s Jung-Ha. It’s a Jung-something that’s for sure.

Oh, why do I even bother? Minwoo changes girlfriends like he changes socks.

Without a single word, I promptly dragged Minwoo away from his make out session, ignoring the girl’s cry of protest and Minwoo’s. I don’t see why the little rascal’s making a fight. As far as I know, I can karate his pretty little anytime – he’s all skin and bones – and he has booty calls overflowing on speed dial.

I threw his lithe body onto the chair beside Donghyun’s, nearly knocking over the latter’s bowl of salad, whilst I took a seat beside Hyunseong who sat across Dongyun.

“Hey! Watch it, you punks,” the eldest of us four grumped.

Hyunseong was too absorbed with his tuna sandwich to even mutter a single ‘hi’.

I held up a hand in Donghyun’s general direction. “Emergency here.”

“That was big enough to savage my food?”

“That was big enough to take me away from making out with my girlfriend?!”

“Oh, Jeongmin, Minwoo, when did you get here?”

I face-palmed. These three were being impossible. I need to talk about the mystery guy I met and they’re either too absorbed in their food or shoving tongues down their girlfriends’ throats. “Donghyun, they’re leaves, Minwoo, you make out with her during every other period and Hyunseong it’s a sandwich not your girlfriend,” I snapped.

Donghyun rolled his eyes. “No respect for me, huh? You little piece of –”

Minwoo pouted. “That’s harsh, hyung.”

Hyunseong looked mock-hurt. “How dare you insult my soul mate!”

At the mention of those two last words, my mood got chipper. “Speaking of soul mates,” I began in a low voice, successfully turning the conversation to my love life. I then proceeded to tell them the bits of my morning incident. I didn’t remember much, just fleeting touches, soft voice and strawberries.

“And I don’t even know his name,” I finished dramatically, my voice slightly muffled from my position against the table.

“Serves you right you ingrateful, disrespecting –” Donghyun ranted, arms crossed over his chest.

“You are too dramatic, hyung,” Minwoo said, casually sipping his juice box as he checked out some girls passing by.

Hyunseong raised an eyebrow. “This was what got you so hyped up about? Some freshman?”

“He is not some ‘freshman’, okay? I saw him and I had the freaking flutters, man. You don’t see me doing that when Minwoo here is – OHMYGOD! He is a freshman! I remember now. I called him ‘Lee Freshman’.”

Minwoo let out a chuckle. “You just met him today and already you’re thinking of making him your wife? Talk about girly, hyung.”

I ignored him and turned to Hyunseong, my eyes narrowed in suspicion. “How’d you know? Don’t tell me you’ve been seeing him behind my back. Cuz if you are, I will smash your face so deep, people would think Voldemort enrolled to our school,” I seethed, body towered intimidatingly over Hyunseong’s as he casually took a bite of his meal.

I felt hands on my shoulders, pushing me back down into my seat. “Geez, hyung, calm down. You didn’t have to physically threaten Hyunseong-hyung in front of the whole school, y’know,” Minwoo muttered intelligently. “You can just do it in the men’s or something.”

“I am so glad to know that you care so much for me, Minwoo,” Hyunseong sassed. The boy claims he has the ‘it’ factor. He then turned to me. “Don’t get your in a twist, I only know him by the ty descriptions you gave me and you did just say that he had on a yellow sash, right? Yellow sashes –indicate freshmen. Not only do you have a broken nose, now you have a dead brain to boot? We seriously better get you checked out, Jeongminnie,” Hyunseong told me, sneaking few bites out of Donghyun’s salad, the latter lightly slapping him away.

My eyebrow raised a quarter of a fraction.

Usually Donghyun would strangle any guy who made contact with his stuff – he’s never been one for sharing. Not like me and Minwoo, who borrow clothes and the rare boxers on a daily basis. Only Hyunseong’s ever managed to get through the guy.

I am such a ing idiot for only noticing it now.

Donghyun finally butted in, seemingly over the fact that I tried to murder his too green diet. “But even so, it’s not that helpful. There are around 300 or so students who enlisted this year. It’ll be quite the chore for you to find your little ‘Cinderella’.”

Minwoo shook his head. “From what I hear, Donghyun-hyung, a freshman with a face that rivals mine –”

“No offense, but yours is nothing in comparison,” I quipped, only to earn a fresh bruise on my shin.

“– would surely be noticed by now.”

Donghyun frowned slightly. “You have a point there, dongsaeng,” he agreed.

Silence filled the air as we pondered

“Now what?” Hyunseong cut in.

Again, silence.

“Well, I’m stumped.”

“Do you hear that guys?”

Hyunseong’s eyes glanced at something from behind me. “That retching? Yep, that guy’s totally puking back his breakfa –”

“My love life – crumbling,” I said, ending the last word with a dramatic sob. I spoke with such conviction that Hyunseong actually patted me out of pity, mumbling a “and the sounds of retching, Jeongminnie”.

“Maybe we could –” Minwoo started to say. I blanked out after those three words when something blonde caught my eye.

A tall, lean freshman had whizzed pass me animatedly chatting with some other student I don’t know of.

The eyes.

Those hands.

That face.

I shot up from my seat, my eyes never leaving my future boyfriend-to-be. “It’s him,” I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

Minwoo stopped amidst his rant. “What?” he mumbled, his eyes following mine.

“Where?” Hyunseong followed my gaze, whilst Donghyun continued to eat his salad.

Him and his friend were dumping their trays by the bin, both of them languidly walking towards the exit, laughing and whatnot.

From the side, I noticed that Minwoo had this look on his face, as if he had this sudden epiphany.

I didn’t mind him. I found him – I ing FOUND him!

Score 1 for Jeongmin, es.

I can’t let him walk out that door, I realize.

“Wait! WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! You! The freshman!! Not you, Dongho – YOU! The blonde one!!! WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I yelled hysterically, sprinting towards the confused freshman and his friend who had started to slowly inch away.

I was out of breath when I reached him, not from the run but from the thought that the guy who I beginning to think was just a dream was real. And in front of me – looking completely baffled upon my arrival.

He opened his mouth but I didn’t let any words through. Instead, I risked a chance and closed in the distance between us. At the same time, Minwoo was across the cafeteria, screaming, “NO! JEONGMIN!!! THAT’S NOT –”

I didn’t get to hear the rest of his words.

Before I even realized it, I was knocked out cold – for the second time this day.

God, I should really start taking better care of myself.

 

My eyes fluttered open and bright blurry circles covered my vision; aching my eyes. I blinked profusely but my sight only got slightly better, my right eye completely unable to even properly open.

I found out that I was actually back in the nurse’s office and noticed the proper beating my face took when I tried to turn my head. “Ow, ow, owwwww,” I hissed, hastily facing back upwards.

A familiar soft voice hushed me, a pack of cooling ice placed against my aching bruise. “You’ll be fine. Just don’t move your head too much, it’ll hurt.”

Then it hit me. No, seriously, someone had slapped my other cheek. I let out a yelp and turned to glare at the offender. It was the blonde in the cafeteria.

“Youngmin!” the one nursing me scolded this supposedly ‘Youngmin’. “He’s hurt!”

I badly wanted to see the nice stranger who was treating but my badly injured cheek prevented from me doing so.

Youngming scoffed. “We’re even. And anyways, it serves him right for molesting me in front of the whole school – freaking ert, I tell you. I mean I know I’m hot but have some restraint, will you?”

I tried my best to glare at the younger one. “Watch your tone – I am your hyung, show me some respect.”

Again, he scoffed. “Not before you respect me,” he said. “I’m the one who was mistreated in the cafeteria!”

I’m starting to hate this guy. How the hell did I mistake this blonde demon as The One? I must’ve been pretty high on those painkillers.

I opened my mouth to retort when the other guy started to talk. “Give him a break, Youngmin-hyung,” he spoke softly, his fingers shyly grazing my forearm.

Those hands seem so familiar… where have I seen them?

Ugh, all this thinking and suddenly I notice that my throat is really parched.

“My mouth is really dry. Can I have some water?” I asked.

“Can you please get him some water, Youngmin-hyung? Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase?”

Youngmin glanced at the other guy – who I suspect is his brother – then glowered at me for a second before conceding. “Fiiiiiiiiiiiine,” he drawled, reluctantly getting up to go get me my glass of water.

I started to lift my head up, wincing.

“Here, let me help you, Jeongmin,” the other guy said, gently lifting my shoulder and being careful to not move my head too much.

Did he just say my name? I’m pretty sure I didn’t give away my name. “How do you know my name?”

Sweet giggles were heard and my heart skipped a beat. “This morning, Jeongmin-ah, I helped you, remember?”

He… helped me?

“Oh, and here, a friend of yours – Minwoo, was it – told me to give this to you when you wake up.”

It was a note.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t read anything.”

It said, Jeongmin you really are the biggest idiot in the history of idiots – and it’s already 2013, that’s basically a new record for a living human bearing such tremendous stupidity as yours.

I stopped for a while to seethe. Was that why he wrote me this? To call me stupid? The asshat.

You said it so yourself; your ‘soul mate’ is a BRUNETTE. What are you, colour blind? And I figured out your so-called ‘One’, he’s Kwangmin, younger twin brother Youngmin. He only moved here just few weeks ago and is the more ‘introverted’ of the two (probably the main reason why it’s pretty hard to spot him).

And, yes, that is him right beside you.

My eyes widen. What? This is really too much for a guy who just got concussed to take in.

“Hm? Is something wrong, Jeongmin?”

“Er, n-nothing,” I hastily covered, crumpling up the note and randomly tossing it elsewhere.

“Oh, ok then.”

Awkward silence ensued.

After five minutes mentally battling with my instincts, I spoke up. “Hey, would you mind me turning my head so that I can, um, look at you?”

“S-sure,” was this – supposedly – Kwangmin’s answer. I felt warm hands gently turning me around and finally I got a good look at him.

This was hi, the one I’ve been pining for since just this morning. The mesmeric eyes, cute nose and brunette locks – how the hell did I mistake him for Youngmin? Kwangmin is worlds better. And his name – Lee Kwangmin, I like the sound of that.

“It’s you,” I breathed, one hand caressing his cheek and the other fiddling his bangs.

His cheeks were flushed red at my touch and he had this adorably shy smile on his lips. “It’s… me?”

My heart skipped a beat.

I really should throw a slumber party to commemorate my gender change.

“Yes, you,” I whispered, leaning in for a kiss.

Kwangmin’s eyes slowly drifted close, waiting for the impact of my lips on his.

It never came – what did came was water splashed to my face and another uppercut to my left cheek.

The last thing I remembered before drifting off for the third time that day; was Kwangmin fussing at my side and a seething yellow blob murmuring, “You touch him and I will end you.”

 

Fast forward a few weeks later and Kwangmin and I were outside of Kwangmin’s favourite ice cream shop.

It was night time and after finals and our makeshift group had decided to visit Baskin Robins during afterhours in the freezing cold just for the heck of it.

After the incident a few weeks before – of me getting smacked one too many times and ending up in the hospital by the end of the day (Kwangmin being the worrywart he is) – the twins had formally joined me and my group. Well, Kwangmin was formally introduced to Minwoo and the hyungs. Youngmin was just there, clinging to his brother the whole time, repeatedly saying that he wasn’t going to let his innocent younger brother (of five minutes) be tainted by the likes of me.

I was offended but the others welcomed him with open arms.

I’ve also gotten to know of Kwangmin’s little quirks over the weeks – and from a little bribing (Youngmin talks easily when money’s involved). He’s a er for anime – especially Pokemon, he’s a light-sleeper and talks in his sleep when he’s super exhausted after a day’s work; he prefers coffee over tea, a cat person but can’t own one because he’s allergic, a cry baby, and a major sweet tooth – the sole reason why I even suggested ice cream when it’s zero degrees outside.

It was only supposed to be and Kwangmin – you know, like a date. But then the others tagged along and kept pestering me the whole way.

Now finally, here I am, alone with Kwangmin, eating ice cream cones outside whilst the others are still inside the shop, arguing over which ice cream is the best.

“Seriously, Hyunseong-hyung? Vanilla? You are so old.”

“Hey! Vanilla is a classic, ok? I don’t see me picking something girly like strawberry love hearts.”

“At least I have taste.”

Snippets of their argument were heard every now and then, but other than that, not much noise was made. The shop was located far off the hubbub of city life, one of the reasons – I remember – why Kwangmin loves this place. The owner even knows Kwangmin’s name.

Kwangmin mostly paid attention to his double scoop, a mixture of plain chocolate and cookie dough. I had long since finished mine, a measly single scoop of mint chocolate in a cup. I don’t favour sweets much.

Kwangmin’s pretty oblivious. I’ve been staring at him for the past 10 minutes now  and he still hasn’t noticed. I would be offended but then again it’s Kwangmin (you can never stay mad with the guy) and all the more time for me to memorize his side profile.

“Hey, Jeongmin,” Kwangmin spoke up in between his , startling me out of my reverie.

“Yeah, Kwangminnie?”

“Can I ask you a – – question?”

“Sure, hit me.”

“Do you – slurp – like Youngmin?”

My eyes bulged. “Youngmin?! Hell no! How the heck did that idea get into your head?!” I shivered at the thought of even dating Youngmin in the first place. I’d end up wearing earplugs at every date we’d have – and probably a couple more bruises here and there. He is pretty violent, in contrast to Kwangmin who’s as gentle as a fawn.

A slow . “We-ll, you did spontaneously went all kissy-kissy on him the first time you met…” he drifted off, his eyes unreadable as he stared off into the road.

I froze. I never did explain to him about that. I told Youngmin but then he made it my job to personally tell Kwangmin. The other guys didn’t want to get involved – that and they like seeing me squirm. s, really.

I’ve been putting that off for weeks now. Kwangmin never really confronted me about it and I never pushed it onto him.

What the hell am I supposed to say now? That I thought Youngmin was you so I kissed him in front of the whole school? That would sound too creepy.

So I lie.

“Youngmin had on this new gloss and I wanted some of it so –”

“The truth, Jeongmin.”

I cringed at the tone of his voice. “Ok, ok, I – I thought Youngmin was… you, ok?”

I waited for the slap, maybe the kick to the crotch, heck maybe he has Youngmin’s psycho genes and I’d get a sock to the face. But nothing happened. In fact, I soon realized that Kwangmin was giggling beside, cone left forgotten. “I – I knew it!” he huffed through his fit of laughter.

“Wait – you knew?” I spluttered. “Youngmin, the traitor,” I guessed, already planning his murder.

“N-n-no,” he stammered, still giggling. “I guessed it myself. I was just too chicken all this time to admit it.”

I blushed, embarrassed. “And you never told me?! All – all this time…?”

He nodded, cheeks flushed.

I buried my face into my hands. “Ugh, the shame…”

Kwangmin hopped up from his position and leaned in close to me, surprising me with his sudden boldness. “Well?”

“Well – well what?”

“Kiss me, you kissed Youngmin didn’t you? So it’s my turn,” he quipped cheekily, touching our noses together and wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

I’m not familiar with this side of Kwangmin – bold, cheeky, seductive – yet I like it.

So I kissed him.

And 2 minutes later I got a face full of ice cream courtesy of Youngmin who saw the act.

Another 6 minutes pass and Kwangmin and I had escaped from Youngmin, ducking into an alley and him the ice cream off my cheeks.

Not as clichéd as you’d thought it’d be, eh?

But it's my life, and things are getting a bit too heated here, so...

End of story.


The ending's a bit rushed but it's 2 a.m. here, so's...

And I am throwing out that lame catch phrase out the window. I sounded so... 'ghetto'.