O1

Antiquity

 

 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 chapter one 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
                             ________________________________________
 

Sooyoung may not be good at everything but she certainly was good in hiding. Nobody, as in nobody, had ever beaten her to it; nobody had ever won over her in the game called hide-and-seek. Her friends would complain about it and rejected playing hide-and-seek with her, even her mom got crazy looking for her when Sooyoung hid just for the fun of it.

Three children were huddled together, forming an imperfect circle. The little girl with the age of seven, Sooyoung, not that far away from them, was watching them with curious eyes. She was, after all, new at this place and her mom gave her the permission to go out and make some friends while she’s busy unpacking.

“What do you want to play?” said one of them, a tall boy with dark hair forming a halo above his head. He has unique brown eyes and long lashes that almost touched his brow. Sooyoung also took note of his peculiar eyebrows.

“Let’s play…a board game,” suggested another, she was a girl, with a medium height and short brown locks framing her delicate face.

“Gosh, Yoona, we’re here on the outdoor to have some maximum physical activity, not to play a boring game,” answered another one of them, he has a skinny build and average height but that doesn’t matter because he is really good-looking, like a prince.

Sooyoung stood from the bench she’s sitting and strode towards then with gracefulness she mustered with all those ballet lessons she took since she was four.

“Why don’t play hide-and-seek?”

The three children looked up at her with confusion written on their faces. There seemed to be a silent conversation between the three, maybe debating whether they should let Sooyoung join their circle. Sooyoung stood there, anxiously, as the silence grew and the tall guy finally said, “Hide-and-seek was what I had in mind.”

Sooyoung beamed and extended her right hand, “I’m Choi Sooyoung. I just moved here.”

Yoona was the first one to react; she took Sooyoung’s hand and shook it with too much enthusiasm than Sooyoung would have expected.

“I’m Im Yoona,” she gushed and pointed at the tall guy, “that’s Wufan,” she then pointed at the other guy, the one who looks like a prince, “that’s Luhan.”

“Since you just joined, you’re it,” Yoona gently said with a firm tone.

Sooyoung wore a nervous expression; she’s good at hiding but definitely not seeking. “I don’t think-”

“I’ll be the it,” Wufan announced.

Sooyoung looked surprise and grateful at the same time. “Thanks, Wufan. I owe you, big time.”

Wufan smiled and Sooyoung felt the world tilted away from its axis, rainbows and unicorns were on the horizon and she swear she could hear violins playing as she awkwardly smiled back.

The group went towards a tree and Wufan turned his back towards them and said, “I’ll be giving you two minutes to hide.”

The three that’s left scrambled away to seek for their own hiding place. Sooyoung smirked as she ran; now this is the thing she’s good at.

Sooyoung ran and ran but nothing looks appealing enough for her to hide. She stopped running and realized she’s tired; she put her palms on her knees and gasped for breath. That’s when she noticed a tree. It’s enormous, with thick branches and large trunk. She smiled. Perfect – she might even sleep on it while waiting for Wufan to say he gave up. She climbed on it and hoisted herself on a branch high enough for her not to be easily seen, thick enough to endure her body and low enough for her to call it safe.

-----

“…three, two one.”

Wufan turned around to be greeted by light that blinded his vision and hurt his eyes – since he’s been in the dark for two minutes. He used his arm to protect his vision and when he thought that it won’t hurt, he took it off and sighed. Where do I start? he asked himself.

Wufan looked for Yoona first since she’s so predictable and she never changed hiding spots. He walked to wards the direction where she probably is and as expected, he found her there.

She pouted. “You always find me first. It makes me feel as if I’m easy.”

Wufan chuckled and replied, “You never change hiding places, Yoona. Maybe it’s a good thing.”

Wufan, with Yoona on his side, looked for Luhan next. Luhan may be smart but that doesn’t mean he’s good in choosing hiding places. Luhan would probably hide somewhere in an oblivious spot so he went to the dried pond. Luhan was there, hiding under the little bridge above the pond.

“Dude, I hate you. You are such a good seeker,” Luhan playfully bellowed.

Kris smiled and thought of where Sooyoung was. She’s probably the hardest to look for since he barely knew her. He doesn’t know if she changed hiding spots and he doesn’t know if she’s smart or not. He suddenly felt uncomfortable. Luhan noticed his uneasiness and decided to about it.

“I see you haven’t found the new girl yet. I guess I change my mind about you being a good seeker.”

Wufan glared at the boy who just shrugged. Sooyoung has a slim build so she must’ve climbed on a tree but she doesn’t seem to be the kind of girl to risk getting her pretty little dress get caught in one of the twigs.  Since he doesn’t have any other idea, he looked for her in any tree anyway. But the problem was that there are a lot of trees.

“You guys stay here, I’ll go look for her,” he said to the other two.

Wufan first examined his favorite tree; it’s a cherry blossom tree; it’s the summer season so it barely had leaves. He sighed when he realized Sooyoung wasn’t there. Tree after tree, he looked and since he’s human, he got tired and rested under the shade of an enormous maple tree. He looked up and if he had a drink on his hand, he would have choked on it.

She was there. Sooyoung.

She seems to be sleeping. He doesn’t want her to be frightened so he climbed up. It was hard for him since he’s heavy, not that he’s fat or anything – his height was a contributing factor on his weight. He finally reached her after getting a splinter or two and celebrated his victory. He looked at her sleeping figure. Her hair was all over her face yet she still managed to look pretty, her eyes were closed but she seemed to be awake and conscious of the environment around her and her eyelashes are so long that it almost touched her eyebrows.  

“Wake up,” he said softly. Sooyoung sprang up and her eyes widened in surprise. Wufan wasscared that she’ll lose balance and fall so he held up both hands, indicating he’s not dangerous.  

“Hey it’s me,” Wufan said, averting her gave from the landscape to him. She looked at him with a profound expression on her face.

“What…?” she seemed not to comprehend her surroundings. Then her eyes focused and a bulb seemed to light above her head. “Ohh.”

Wufan smiled at her cute demeanor. “I found you.”

She smiled and said. “Yeah, you found me.”

------

10 years later…

Sooyoung was eating lunch in the quiet library. She usually ate here when the examinations were nearing to study or just to hide her food away from Kris. Normally, she would sit with Yoona and Luhan or with Wufan and his girlfriend, Jessica, but today is different. Today, her packed lunch wasn’t sprawled on the hardwood table, just some books whose purpose was to serve as a cover, so people would mistook her as studying, not pacing out. Today was the day her mother and father would file their divorce papers.  Maybe Sooyoung just wanted to be alone to think, to figure out what to do with her life now that the two people she loved most would be separated. Maybe all Sooyoung needed was a time to cry, to let out the emotions she was dying to express. 

She heaved out a long sigh. My life , she thought.

“What are you doing?”

Startled, Sooyoung straightened up before turning around to look at the handsome guy to whom the voice belongs to.

“N-nothing,” Sooyoung stuttered, “just being pathetic, studying.”  Sooyoung tried to smile at Wufan which probably came out as a twisted frown.

Wufan sighed as he sat on the chair beside Sooyoung’s and faced her. “Tell me what’s wrong, Soo.”

 Sooyoung decided to change the topic. “Where’s Jessica?” she sneered with a hint of jealousy.

Unfortunately for her, Wufan noticed. “Are you jealous?”

Sooyoung scoffed. “What? No. Of course not, jeez.”

Wufan seemed amused. “Really?”

Uncomfortable by the topic and feeling regret that she brought Jessica up, Sooyoung winced under Wufan’s gaze. “What are you doing here, Wufan?”

Wufan fell back to his seat. “I was looking for you…and here you are.” Wufan picked up one of the books on Sooyoung’s table and read the title out loud, “Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Figures.”

Sooyoung flushed in embarrassment, she doesn’t even know why she’s embarrassed in the first place.  “It’s a good book and all. You know, a classic,” she explained lamely.

“Uh-huh,” Wufan said while controlling his laugher. “Say that again and I would have believed you.”

Sooyoung grunted in annoyance as she attempted to take the book away from Wufan’s hand. “Give me that.”

Sooyoung reached for the book again but Wufan’s playful expression turned serious. “I need to tell you something.”

Sooyoung frowned and straightened her posture. “Go ahead.”

“Not here,” he said almost shyly. “Let’s go to the park.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widen, she sneaked a peek at her watch that says ‘12:52’. She looked at Wufam as if he’d grown another head. “But lunch is almost over.”

“Then let’s cut classes,” Wufan simply said, as if it’s the easiest thing to be done. Sooyoung raised her eyebrows, she doesn’t know whether it’s because she’s amused or shocked.

“You don’t cut class. You’re the responsible one,” she said.

“Try me.” He stood up and extended his arm towards her. She hesitated and was having an internal debate to herself before taking a deep breath and reached out for Wufan’s hand. The touch was innocent but Sooyoung’s body shrank down to that single point of pressure on his hand, and glowed with warm. She always felt like this when she’s with him, so peaceful and calm.

“So where are we going?” she asked, trying to hide her excitement.

 With Wufan’s tall height, he had to look down to look at Sooyoung in the eye. “At the park.”     

Sooyoung’s eyes practically glowed with happiness. “Really?”

Wufan nodded while showing a wolfish grin.

When they arrived at the park ten minutes later, they headed straight to the memorable maple tree. It had grown stronger and taller enough to support Wufan’s weight. Sooyoung easily climbed up while Wufan had a hard time but still accomplished the task at hand.

Once settled, Sooyoung didn’t beat around the bush. “So what do you want to tell me?”

Wufan hesitated. “I…I…”

“Oh stop the suspense, Wufan. Go ahead and tell me,” Sooyoung said playfully.

Wufan ignored her and started to climb down with unease and clumsiness. Sooyoung followed with more grace. When both of their feet were on the ground, Sooyoung grabbed Wufan’s arm to stop him.

“Tell me. What is it?” Sooyoung asked seriously, the warmth on her eyes almost made Wufan cry.

 Wufan knelt slightly down, so his eyes were on level with Sooyoung’s. He placed both of his hands on either side of her tight shoulders. Her eyes began to form tears.

“What is it?” she whispered.

“Sooyoung,” he practically groaned, “I know you’re not going to like it…”

“What is it?” Sooyoung asked again, but louder this time, and with more strength. “What is it, Wufan?”

  “Soo…I...” Wufan was contemplating on what to say to Sooyoung, something that wouldn’t hurt her but in the end; he decided to beat around the bush.

“You know that we’re not originally from Seoul, right?” he began. “My family-”

“Yeah, you’re Chinese and you’re family is originally from Vancouver,” Sooyoung interrupted hastily.

Wufan sighed and took a long, deep breathe. “Sooyoung, we’re leaving Seoul, we’re going back to Vancouver.”

-----

 A knock took Sooyoung’s attention from the pouring rain to the door. She approached the door slowly and opened it. She looked up from the floor and saw her mother with a worried expression on her face.

“What is it?” Sooyoung asked gravely.

“Wufan’s here again,” her mother said with a sigh.

“Tell him I’m studying.” Sooyoung was about to close the door but her mother’s hand prevented the action.

“Sooyoung, you should go talk to him.”

Sooyoung crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at her mom. Dark color ringed both bloodshot eyes, caused by the lack of sleep and heavy crying.

“Mom, I’m busy,” she said stubbornly.

“Sooyoung…” her mom warned using that hard, stern voice that nobody could say no to - not even Sooyoung.

“Fine.”

Sooyoung walked past her mother, down to the stairs until she’s standing on the floor of their small, living room. She faced the guy sitting on one of the couches and addressed him with a cold voice, “What do you want?”

Wufan put the glass of orange juice on the coffee table and stood up. He neared her but she stepped back and he sighed.

“Sooyoung, we’re leaving next week,” he said.

“So?” Sooyoung acted nonchalantly but tears were starting to form on her red-rimmed eyes. So she faced away from him and turned her attention on the television screen. 

“I don’t want to leave like this.”

“Like what? I don’t care.” Sooyoung still didn’t look at him.

Without warning, Wufan grabbed Sooyoung’s hand and steered her outside the house. Sooyoung’s eyes widen in surprise, she didn’t protest because she had to admit she enjoyed the feel of Wufan’s hand entwined with hers. She smiled inwardly.

They stopped in front of a very familiar tree – the maple tree.

Sooyoung took her hand from Wufan’s grip and crossed her arms on her chest. She set her jaw in a stubborn line and asked, “What are we doing here?”

Wufan slowly faced her and said, “This.” He held out a box that Sooyoung didn’t notice before.

“What’s that?” Sooyoung neared him and took the box from his hands. She carefully opened the box and raised both of her eyebrows. “Papers and pens?”

Wufan shook his head, “It’s, it’s for us, and it’s where we write letters for each other.”

Sooyoung laughed a laugh somewhere between bitter and genuine. “I get that. It’s just that why?” she looked at Wufan expectantly.

Wufan shrugged and sat on the ground, resting his back against the tree. “I don’t want us to leave like this, Soo,” he pointed to the box containing the pens and papers, “Last night, I was thinking-”

“Oh, God.”

Wufan chuckled. “Yeah, I was thinking and I want us to write everything we have to say on each other in that piece of paper, we’ll put it in the box and burry it deep near this tree,” he pointed at the tree, “and after ten years, we’ll meet here again, we’ll open the box and read the letter we wrote for each other.”

Sooyoung’s heart clenched in a tight knot, she heaved out a deep sigh. People said goodbye was painful, this wasn’t goodbye…yet, she wondered how hurt she’ll be when that time would come. “Okay.”   

She sat on the ground at the back of the tree. She positioned herself comfortably and thought on what to put on the letter. Sooyoung lost count on how many tears fell on the paper as she folded it and went towards Wufan. He looked up and gave her a sad smile. “You’re done?”

Sooyoung nodded, not trusting her voice to sound coherent.

Wufan pursed his lips together and held out the box in which she put the letter on beside another. She knelt on the ground and started digging her hands on the dirty soil.

“What if you won’t be able to get here? What if you won’t even remember me?” she asked silently.

Wufan kept his expression on check and replied, “I will get here, trust me. And I’ll never forget you. Okay?”

“Okay.”

10 years later…

“You’ll be there, right?” asked Jade, her friend she met on another country while studying, asked for the thousandth time. She’s marrying Luhan, one of Sooyoung’s best friends. After Sooyoung graduated college, she went back to Korea to help her family and Jade visited her – that’s how Jade and Luhan met. After four years of dating, Luhan finally got the courage to ask her to marry him and she agreed ecstatically, of course.

“Yeah, I will,” was Sooyoung’s response. She was supposed to be the maid of honor but due to her busy schedule, she wasn’t able to accompany the bride-to-be in her preparations, so Jade gave Yoona the honors. The project that was given to Sooyoung apparently needed more time therefore, made Jade doubt if she’ll be able to attend the wedding. Sooyoung maybe be busy but she certainly could sneak a few hours out of her schedule.

A knock from her door made her looked up and saw Yoona on the doorstep. Yoona have grown so much now, her hair was long and carefully styled and she’s already dressing like a fashion model, in contrast to her job as a doctor. Sooyoung grinned and waved at her as she said to Jade, “I gotta go. I’ll call you later.”

“Gosh, your secretary is so strict. She almost didn’t let me in,” complained Yoona as she sat on one of the chairs opposite Sooyoung’s. She placed a box wrapped in lavender paper on her desk.

“What’s this?” Sooyoung asked.

“Why don’t you open it?” Yoona distractedly looked for something in her bag as Sooyoung stood and took the box from the desk.

“Is it for me?” she jokingly asked. Yoona rolled her eyes and replied, “No, it’s for Luhan. Yes, you silly, it’s for you.”

Sooyoung carefully unlaced the ribbon and gasp. “It’s beautiful, Yoon,” she whispered. Sooyoung took out the red, silky dress from the box and held it out. It ran down to her knees and the waistline is designed with sparkly stuffs that glowed like diamond. The straps were thick but the neckline is dangerously low that Sooyoung is pretty sure they would reveal a little too much of cleavage that she’s comfortable of. 

Sooyoung was busy admiring the dress that she didn’t notice Yoona was on her phone. She sighed as she sat on her chair and put the dress back to the box. She leaned back and took out her planner; she crosses the box that had ‘buy a dress for Luhan and Jade’s wedding’ written on it. She waited until Yoona finished talking to the phone and asked, “Who was that?”

Yoona leaned back to her chair comfortably and said, “Luhan.”

“What did he want?” Sooyoung’s curious nature pressed on.

“He said that Wufan is coming to his wedding,” Yoona lazily replied.

Sooyoung’s eyes widen. “WUFAN? Wufan’s coming? Why didn’t Luhan call me instead?”

“Maybe because your phone is always off. I mean I called three times yesterday and you didn’t even pick up….”

Yoona’s rant was tuned out from Sooyoung’s ears because all she could hear is heart thundering on her chest. Wufan is coming. He’s coming back.

“Did you know that he named himself Kris? Like seriously-”

“What?” Sooyoung asked confusedly.

Yoona rolled her eyes. “Wufan is an A-list actor now. And you know how Hollywood is; people tend to change their names. Like Rihanna, Beyonce and whoever and I really don’t like it when people do that because it’s like they are changing and forgetting who they were on the past-”

Sooyoung let out a frustrated sigh. “Back to the point.”

“Wufan is now known as Kris.”

“You have to be more specific than that. There are a lot of Kris in the world,” Sooyoung muttered.

 Yoona leaned forward towards Sooyoung’s desk. “Have you seen the movie ‘Obsidian’ or ‘The Black Arrow’? Those were his movies.”

Sooyoung recalled all those movies Yoona and Jade made her watch. Those two titles were very familiar to her and she almost fell out of the chair when she remembered.

 Yoona laughed at Sooyoung’s reaction. “Yes, Soo, that hot guy on your favorite movie is Wufan.”

Sooyoung laughed along with her. “But that can’t possibly be Wufan. That guy has a blonde hair and Wufan is tanned.”

Yoona chuckled and said, “Seriously, Soo, which century are you living in? Wufan could easily dye his hair blonde and bleach his skin or apply lotions everyday.”

Sooyoung shook her head as she leaned back to her chair. “But his eyes are different,” she said distractedly. “They aren’t as expressive as Wufan.”

“He’s an actor. An actor’s suppose to hide their true emotions and only show the feelings they want the people to see. Besides, you’re only looking at him in the television, imagine it if you’re looking at him in real life.”

“I…I don’t know.”

“Of course you don’t.” Yoona stood up from her chair and bid Sooyoung a goodbye.

-----

Yoona was wrong. That was Sooyoung’s first thought as the ceremony finished and now, she found herself lounging on a seat on the table in the reception. Wufan was not coming. Sooyoung sighed and fell back on her chair as hope drained out from her. She spotted Jade and Luhan, side by side, expressing their gratitude and accepting congratulations from the visitors. Sooyoung decided to congratulate them later.

She looked around at the room; tables were covered with white and gold cloth. The wedding was indoors so they were stuck in hotel premises. The large windows were decorated with gold curtains and bouquets of white roses and lilies sat atop the center of each circular table. A grand chandelier overlooked them in a high, vaulted ceiling. The dance floor was on the center and a small stage was in front of the venue.  A long, rectangular table was located at the side. It had various food and drinks lined out. Sooyoung would have been there from the moment she got her if the thought of Wufan wasn’t on her mind.

Sooyoung spotted Yoona, wearing a purple dress with a handsome man attached to her hip.

“Sooyoung,” Yoona said as she removed herself from the man and gave Sooyoung a hug, on which Sooyoung returned.

Sooyoung pulled back abruptly and said, “I thought you said Wufan was coming.”

“Maybe he’s late. You know how celebrities are. Anyway,” Yoona pointed at the guy she was with last two minutes ago, “that’s Donghae. Lee Donghae.”

Sooyoung smiled and shook Donghae’s hand. “I’m Sooyoung.”

The three of them soon drifted from one topic to another until their conversations were stopped when Yoona’s eyes focused somewhere on the entrance of the venue. Yoona gasped and brought her hand to . Sooyoung raised her eyebrows and followed Yoona’s gaze. Her eyes widen and shock took her ability to move. Donghae sensed the change of aura and followed the gaze of the two ladies.

“Is that the actor of The Black Arrow? And is that the model of a cosmetic commercial?” he asked. The question didn’t get an answer as the ladies’ jaws were on the floor. He shrugged and turned his attention elsewhere.

 Sooyoung kept her eyes trailed at the beautiful couple, Wufan and Kwon Yuri or popularly known as Yuri. The pair was walking towards the newlyweds. Wufan looked dashing in a tuxedo and Yuri wore an elegant yellow dress. She looked so gorgeous that Sooyoung felt like she’s wearing a rug. All eyes trained on them.

“Told you Wufan’s coming,” Yoona said, but her eyes still focused on the couple.

Wufan turned his head and Sooyoung met his eyes. He quickly returned his eyes to Luhan who was looking at him as if he had grown another head.

Yoona was wrong. Again. First of all, that was not Wufan who came, that was Kris, the cold celebrity. Wufan had more expression in his eyes while Kris’ stare was emotionless, unless he’s acting. Wufan would greet Luhan with a playful punch in the arm and get comfortable with him even though they’ve been apart for about ten years while Kris was stiff and polite. Wufan would approach her and Yoona after congratulating Luhan and would give them a big hug or at least acknowledge their presence while Kris and his partner walked towards their assigned table silently. Something was very wrong here.

And to find it out, she dragged Yoona towards Wufan’s table. Yoona shot her a questioning glare. Trust me, Sooyoung mouthed. But Yoona unfortunately don’t, so Yoona pulled herself away from Sooyoung’s grasp when they were halfway towards their destination, or Sooyoung’s destination.

“What is wrong?” Yoona asked.

“Wufan or Kris or whatever. Something is wrong with him,” Sooyoung whispered.

Yoona laughed harshly, “Just because he scored one hot lady that isn’t you, Soo, doesn’t mean he’s crazy.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Sooyoung said much to her defense, “Can’t you see that,” she threw a look at Kris; “he didn’t acknowledge our presence. Not even a nod!”

 Yoona turned serious and looked at Sooyoung. “Maybe he didn’t see us.”

“Wufan would spot us even if we’re five kilometers away.”

“Well, let’s talk to him.”

Yoona went towards Kris’ table with Sooyoung trailing after her. Yoona sat on one of the chairs, followed by Sooyoung and Seohyun threw them a disgusted glare. Sooyoung didn’t blame her for doing so; they were being rude after all.

“So Kris-” Yoona started but was cut off when Kris rudely replied, “My next fan signing is next week. Don’t ask for my autograph here, I’m enjoying the privacy.”

Sooyoung was horrified and so was Yoona.

“We’re sorry to bother you,” Sooyoung said and gently yanked the still-shocked Yoona from her seat. Kris brushed them off with a wave and Sooyoung felt as if they were peasants being dismissed by their powerful master.

With an unspoken conversation, both of them proceeded on the powder room. Sooyoung locked the door and faced Yoona.

“You’re right,” Yoona said before Sooyoung could speak. “What do you think happened to him?”

Sooyoung laughed. “You’re the doctor, you tell me.”

“I’m a veterinarian, Soo. Wufan isn’t an animal.”

Before Sooyoung could reply her well-thought sarcastic comment, a knock from the door sounded. She ground as she opened the door and bit back a sound of surprise as she saw Wufan’s mother on the other side. Sooyoung didn’t know what to do, to greet her or walk pass her. She didn’t know if Wufan’s mother would remember her or not, just like what Wufan did.

“Uhh…” Sooyoung began.

Wufan’s mother’s eyes bulged and squealed, “Sooyoung?”

Without warning she hugged the shocked Sooyoung.

“Omo! Auntie!” Yoona squealed as she walked towards Wufan’s mother who let go of Sooyoung and hugged Yoona.

“I miss you girls so much,” she said as she wiped some tears off her cheeks.

“What happened to Wufan?” Sooyoung asked. She didn’t beat around the bush.

Wufan’s mother sighed as she slouched back towards the sink. “He…he had an accident. He undergone some trauma and forgot some stuff. He had amnesia.”

Sooyoung didn’t know how to react. What would Wufan do if she was in his place? He would stay strong and he would never give up until Sooyoung would gain her memory back. And that thought made Sooyoung stronger and more determined.

Sooyou8ng left Yoona and Wufan’s mother talking and catching up on their lives at the comfort room. As she reached the room where the reception was, there were people giving their speeches to the newlywed couple.

“It seems only yesterday, when Jade was a teenager, always lounging in her laptop, always in the house, always reading. Now here she is, looking as beautiful as ever. I thought she was bluffing when she said she’s going to marry someone Asian…” Jade’s mother was saying as Sooyoung looked for Wufan or Kris. Damn, that was confusing.

She finally found the blonde head in the corner, turned away from her. Sooyoung took a deep breath before heading towards his direction when she noticed he was kissing Yuri. And that hurt, like knife stabbed on her heart or a fire burning her body or seeing her favorite book being tear off to pieces. Sooyoung couldn’t take the scene so she fled away. Her tears stuck on , not even her thought from the comfort room didn’t make anything better. Because for her, that was the worst thing she had seen in her whole life. Even when Wufan and Jessica were still in a relationship, they never kissed in front of her.

Sooyoung didn’t know where she was going, but she had on thought on mind – to get away. And so, she found herself sitting on the dusty floor in the wine’s cellar of the hotel drinking a bottle of wine on her hand.

“What do I lack of?” she asked herself. “I may be skinny but I think I’m kinda pretty.”

A laugh, which sounded more like a choked chortle, escaped . “Dream on Soo, you’ll never get what you wanted the most.”

Sooyoung took another large sip from the bottle when she heard footsteps coming her way. Every nerve of her body woke up.

Wufan? Was that Wufan? It has to be Wufan, only he can find me.

Sooyoung stood up and she felt the world spinning, she couldn’t concentrate on anything and her vision doubled and blurred. She sat down only when the footsteps halted; she looked up and saw a handsome man with dark hair. Not Wufan, she thought with disappointment.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, her words slurring.

The guy raised his eyebrows, “You’re drunk.” It was not a question, more like a statement.

“No, I’m not,” Sooyoung said as she stood up only for her head to ache again, she sat back up. She was not used in getting drunk, in fact, this is her first time.

The guy laughed amusingly as he crossed both arms across his chest. “Yes you are. I’m Kyuhyun, a bartender of this hotel. Wanna share your miseries?”

Sooyoung scoffed and moved away as the guy sat beside her. “I need to go,” she said just as Kyuhyun settled beside her. This time, though, her head didn’t hurt that much but the dizziness was still there.  She was halfway to the exit when Kyuhyun called out. “What’s your name?”

Sooyoung nonchalantly said, “Angelina Jolie.”

A laugh sounded and that was the last thing she heard before closing the door.

-----

She didn’t set out her alarm. Sooyoung scrambled on her bed and cursed. She took a quick shower and grabbed coffee and a muffin from a café. She was late for work. She cursed the bottle of wine she’d been nursing last night for the eighth time. Since she didn’t own a car, she had always walked towards her work but since she’s already late, she decided to take the short way there.

It was her first time walking in the shortcut alone. Her friends would accompany her because rumors had it that these alleys were the most common place of gang war. She shuddered at the thought.

She was a block away from her working station when she saw what she feared she would. A gang war! Sooyoung froze. She heard shouts and banging. Someone was hitting a guy with a red bandana with a bat. Another pair was punching each other and Sooyoung stifled a gasp as the other fell down. It was when a guy wearing a black leather jacket and dark hair, whose back was facing her, took out a gun from his pocket and Sooyoung screamed. She suddenly covered but it was too late, the guy faced her. She could feel the ice flowing in her veins and she shuddered involuntarily. The guy was very very familiar - it was the guy she met last night. What was his name again? Kyu…Kyuhyun! And crap, seeing him reminded her of her unpaid wine and last night’s painful memory.

 Sooyoung started to back away slowly as Kyuhyun approached her with a cold look on his face. The other gang members looked her way but they didn’t stop the fight.  Before Kyuhyun was a meter away she ran as fast as she can, which is stupid of her considering Kyuhyun had a gun, but she took her chances. She reached the nearest alley leading towards the main road when she felt the cold push of metal at the back of her head. She stopped in her tracks and gasp for a deep breath. She bit her lip to stop herself from crying and screaming out loud.

Kyuhyun harshly grabbed both of her arms and propped them on her back. He backed Sooyoung on the wall.

“What do you want from me?” she asked in a small whisper.

Kyuhyun laughed bitterly. “I want nothing from you.” He applied more pressure on the gun and Sooyoung whimpered in pain. “You are just unfortunate enough to witness our gang fight.”

A tear fell from Sooyoung’s eye as she begged, “Please let me go. I won’t tell anybody.”

Kyuhyun leaned forward. His breath reeked of cigarette and alcohol. “Right. The previous leader once let somebody go and he got arrested. He’s now in jail.”

 Hope bloomed on Sooyoung’s chest as a silver car stopped in near the opening of the alley. Kyuhyun went frigid but he managed to cup Sooyoung’s mouth with his palm. Unfortunately, the car sped past them and hope died in her.

This is it. I’m gonna die, she thought.

“Say your prayers now,” Kyuhyun said menacingly.

I might as well do so, Sooyoung thought. She closed her eyes. Lord, thank You for giving me this life I get to lived. Thank You for the people who loved me. And of course, thank You for the food. Thank you for-

Sooyoung’s prayers were halted when she heard Kyuhyun gasp. Her eyes widened as she scanned the alley and saw a familiar figure coming their way. Tears brimmed in Sooyoung’s eyes as the guy with blonde locks and tall, lean frame approached them.

Kyuhyun pointed the gun at Wufan and it took all her willpower not to scream and grab the gun from his grasp.

“Put that gun down,” Wufan finally spoke. He seemed to be talking about the weather instead of a gun that was currently pointed at him.

Kyuhyun was taken aback at his casualness. “W-what?” His eyes widened when he realized he’s pointing a gun on a famous celebrity. “You’re Kris Wu.”

Wufan rolled his eyes and sarcastically said, “My fan signing is next week, if you want an autograph. Let the girl go.”

Sooyoung was disappointed when he said ‘girl’ – as if she meant nothing to him but an annoying damsel in distress he needed to save.

“I’m a fan but your attitude pisses me off. Get lost or die,” Kyuhyun said through gritted teeth.

 Wufan crossed his arms over his chest. “The police will be here in a minute. You can either kill the girl and get arrested or run away and get what you took for granted – freedom.”

As if on cue, the sirens rang in a distance. Kyuhyun began shaking and his eyes became blank and distant as if he’s thinking. After a few seconds, he took a deep breath and stiffly moved away from Sooyoung and looked at her in the eye with a gaze that said ‘I’ll come back’ that he also gave to Wufan. He ran in the fastest speed he could manage. Sooyoung looked at his retreating figure slowly disappearing as the sirens came closer.

Thank you, Lord.

She didn’t realize she was not alone until a cough sounded behind her. She quickly wiped her tears, embarrassed. A police car stopped and two people in police uniforms came out of it.

“Thanks,” Sooyoung muttered to Wufan.

She went towards the police officers and greeted them. She told them that nothing happened but a misunderstanding. The two officers looked pissed as they asked questions but they finally left, much to Sooyoung’s relief. 

She looked at her best friend who forgot her and said, “Thanks.”

 She began walking towards the main road but a voice stopped her. “Wait!”

Wufan approached her and said, “I know that was traumatic for you and I think I should give you a ride home.”

 He looked embarrassed as he ran his fingers through his hair. Sooyoung wouldn’t say no to the adorable guy she loved more than a friend for years so she, politely as she could, accepted it.

 He was acting shy as he led her to his car. It seems like the Wufan she knew was back and gone was the cold celebrity last night. He even stopped on the ride way home to get her coffee and food when her stomach rumbled. An awkward silence followed after Wufan handed her a brown paper bag that contained a sandwich. 

“Turn towards the right,” Sooyoung instructed.

Sooyoung silently chewed her sandwich as they passed the grocery store where she used to buy candies to satisfy her sweet tooth. A tear fell on her cheek as a memory of young Wufan lending her money when her mother took her allowance from her. She quietly wiped the tear but Wufan noticed.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“Where’s your girlfriend?” Sooyoung bit out and suddenly, she wished she shut . Her face flushed in embarrassment.

“We broke up.”

Sooyoung was still embarrassed but she felt relief and so she didn’t asked any questions anymore. Sooyoung was on her last bite when the car suddenly screeched into halt. It surprised her that she almost choked on her food.

She looked at Wufan who was staring intently outside. At the park where they used to play.

“Are you alright?” she asked quietly.

He ignored her as he stepped out of the car and went towards the park. Worried, Sooyoung followed him silently. She was looking at the ground that she didn’t notice Wufan had stopped. She looked up and saw that he was standing in front of a maple tree, the enormous maple tree – their tree. A tear fell from her eyes as she watched Wufan touched the trunk. He faced her with wide eyes.

“Sooyoung?”

He said it with the familiar warmth she was used to which was responded with the familiar butterflies on her stomach.

“Wufan?”

Her voice cracked but she didn’t care. She literally ran towards him and jumped in front of his arms. He quickly responded to her hug and twirled her around. He laughed but Sooyoung could feel his tears on the side of her shoulder where Wufan burrowed his head. He stopped when Sooyoung pulled back to look at him.

“I miss you,” she said with a gentle smile.

Wufan grinned and replied, “I miss you too.”

Sooyoung suddenly remembered something. “Our letters.”

Wufan wore a confused face at first then realization dawned on him. “I remember.”

With an unspoken agreement, both of them moved towards the tree and knelt in front of it. The two started digging until they became tired.

“Are you sure it’s here?” Wufan asked.

Sooyoung wiped beads of sweat from her forehead using the back of her hand. “Yeah.”

They rounded the tree, still disappointed since they found nothing.

“Maybe it’s gone…” Wufan spoke Sooyoung’s fear.

Sooyoung resisted the urge to sigh. “Maybe.” She stood up and dusted off dirt from her pants.

“Let’s just go. So much has happened today and I’m tired,” she said, trying to hide her disappointment but unfortunately, Wufan heard it.

“Hey,” he said. He softly grabbed her elbow and smiled gently. “Why don’t we say the words we wrote in that paper to each other? I mean it's better than reading it from a worn-out, antique paper.”

Sooyoung’s eyes lit up. “That’s a great idea. But do you remember it?”

Wufan smiled. “Not really, but I remember the whole thought of it.”

“Oh yeah? What is it?”

Wufan took a deep breath that did nothing to calm his nerves. “Sooyoung…I…I love you.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widen and tears began to form on her eyes. She wiped one that fell off. “Wufan, I…I…I-”

“What did you write?” Wufan cut her off.

Sooyoung let out a breath she’d been holding and said, “I actually didn’t write anything.”

 Wufan raised his eyebrows. “Really?”

Sooyoung shook her head in embarrassment. “I… I just thought that it’s better if it was me to actually say it – not for you to just read it.”

“Okay…” Wufan said, unsure.

Sooyoung laughed without humor. “What I’m actually trying to say is that…” she paused and looked him at the eye, “I love you too.”

 
__________________                             ______________________
 
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 author's note 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
»Hey there. Sorry for the long wait. Also, I apologize for the cliff-hanger. LMAO. I never make a good ending but I'm pretty sure you have an idea on what's going to happen next. Thanks for those people who have been patient waiting for this stupid story for so long. I hope you're not disappointed though. hahahaha. There are a lot of grammatical mistakes. Sorry about that. I'm too lazy. /gets bricked/ To be honest, I'm suppose to cut the story so it would be shorter but then I get a little too carried away so...Anyway, what do you guys think? Comment up :>