Preparations

A Pirates Joke

Who am I? You wonder, sitting on your knees in the inn with the Captain. He was sharpening his sword, running the fine edges on a stone on the balcony. A hum of cicadas drew you into humming a soft tune to yourself, as you comb your hair with a new pick that Kyung brought back for you from the marketplace. You sigh in between hums, thinking about the comb Yongguk had given you.  It was good that the Captain could not hear your thoughts, because in them you missed the one you loved quite terribly. 

 "Mmmm~" you hummed  to yourself, a tune that you recalled quite well, yet where it came from you had always been unsure. Somewhere in the past that you had forgotten, locked in the dark memories of your childhood.

"You have new clothes," Captain Zico mentioned abruptly, sheathing his sword and tossed it, cluttering on the wooden floor.  Swiftly, he is by your side, and you stop in fright to figure out his next move. He pulls out a 10 inch dagger from side of his boot, grinning in wicked delight.

"I bought this while you were getting your dresses made," he raised his eyebrows, reaching his hand out to run his fingers though your long hair. "Keep it."

"I don't know how to use-"

"When the time comes, you'll know,"

"Where are the others?" you ask, feeling the intricate design of a phoenix upon the dagger's sheath. It is made of gold, a dark obsidian like color brandishing around the hilt.  You're unaware that Captain Zico is paying close attention to your fingers, his breath drawing closer to your neck.

"Did you think we would take on a new voyage with just the seven of us? No, we'll be in need of a bigger crew. They'll be insignificant however."

"More people added to the crew?"

"Don't worry your pretty head about it," Zico spits into a can, "they'll be dead by the time we reach our destination. Perished from thirst, sick from the voyage, killed by our enemies, it doesn't matter. But we'll have to look nice for tonight, so I've prepared a set of attire for you beforehand."

"But the dresses today-"

"-Are for another occasion."

The Captain presented you with a folded set of clothes, fitted and tucked to be slim for your body type, though the fabric was of high upper class that even the King's bodyguard could wear. A dark blue ribbon sewn with gold ts flattened the tunic around your barely curved waist. The pants were a deep navy blue with a matching colored ribbon for your forehead,  and a violet jacket top that had etched patterns of dragons.  

"Captain Zico…"

He clears his throat, stepping away from you towards the window, where he comes up on his toes and back down, awkwardly trying to hide his bashfulness.

"Do you…do you like it? It matches the rest of the crew as well, you will blend in as one of us."

"Where are we going?" you ask, a little worried to be dressed so finely. Pirates didn't need such extravagant clothing.

 

"You ask too many questions," he frowns.  "I'm sorry," you murmur, folding the tunic on your lap.

"What will I say when I meet people?"

"You won't speak. Nod if you are addressed to, and keep close to one of us at all times. If you would like to most protection, stay at Kyung or Minhyuk's side. They'll ward others off while I do business."

The dagger is left unsheathed, courtesy of your forgetful mind. It stumbles from out of the tunic and sharply leaves a burning sensation upon your index finger.

"Ahh," you wince, biting your lip and retreating your hand from the tunic as blood trails down your hand.  The Captain notices without delay, returning on his knee to hold your hand.

"Stupid girl," he mutters, searching his jacket pocketbefore wiping the wound with his handkerchief.

"I'm sorry, it was an accident."

"You seem to have more of these 'accidents' around me."

For a second, a of boldness leads you to raise your head to look at Captain Zico. He had finished cleaning your wound, but his hand remained on your wrist still, holding it as if he were handling a delicate flower. Not crushing the petals, but making sure the flower wouldn't fall apart.  It was frightening, how gentle he was.  But the fear only made the two of you draw even closer.  With an unintentional movement he squeezes your finger slightly, perhaps out of nervousness, out of his own fear, that you were breaking into his stone heart.

"Ahh, that hurt," you whine in a timid voice, a shy, withdrawn tone that you never used before.

Zico is quiet, observing your facial expression before bringing your finger to his lips. He closes his eyes, kissing the wound with his unexpectedly soft lips, applying a slight pressure that eases the pain. What was happening?

The intimacy plummets when he blinks and rises to the window, adjusting his clothes and opening the inn drawers.

"We'd best leave for the bar now."

"Captain?"

"Don't ask me questions for the rest of the night."