I.O.U. A KISS [1]

I.O.U. A KISS

I walked to school, not minding how timely it is. When I walk, I think. It’s not a habit or anything; it’s just… the feeling of walking clears up my mind, especially when there are so many things to contemplate about—all the good stuffs you barely notice when you take a cab or when you run. My dream wasn’t something to think about, I don’t mind having a dream like that once again. I mean, when I said I’d give him a kiss it was nothing serious. It’s just like one of those tall stories, like I’m just riding in to their witticisms—something we could all laugh about.

“Oh, there you are my little ray of sunshine.” He smirked, making gestures to what seemed like asking me for a dance. I rolled my eyes and walked past him.

“So you’re completely ignoring me? I thought we have something special?” His voice echoed through the almost empty hallways. The school’s janitor stood there, mumbling “Kids these days” as he headed off mopping the floor far, far away from us. I always come in early, but then he started to arrive the same time as well.

“Aww.” I pulled off a fake smile, turning back to pat on his shoulder. “Hon, we never really have.” I vexed as I turned back to where I was heading.

“Whoa wait,” He grabbed my wrist, stopping me as he made way to my front. “You keep being so mean to me,” He pouted. And he did something I wasn’t expecting to, trapping me on the wall with both of his arms—thanks to soccer and all of those sports that I wasn’t able to get a grip off his strong limbs.

Then he grinned, moving his head close to my ears and whispered, “Babe, I can’t let you walk off without me winning this conversation.” His breath tickled on my ears and his perfume just smelled too pleasant for me. I hate it when I lose like this, when I get weak just because I sort of like him. And I uhh… I actually have a thing for guys with nice perfumes. But gosh, I hate this position!

“Okay. You win. But can you please back off a little? Sheesh. Don’t be too close, Jonghyun.” I tried shoving him off with my weak hands, and look, it was no use after all. Students start to arrive in and I simply hide through my tresses, feeling so embarrassed like I just wanna sulk in to my corner. He gave me a satisfied look; I figured it was because I felt uncomfortable with him getting too close, it felt like he just found my weak spot. I gulped.

“It’s a good thing I forgot your leash but I won’t tolerate you trapping me on the wall next time.” I mumbled under my breath, making sure it sounded threatening `cause I felt really embarrassed.

“Then bring my leash next time. I’d be glad to be restrained to you forever, my master.” He smiled mischievously, finally letting me off his trap. He adjusts his backpack clinging on the side of his shoulder as he gave me one last victory-looking grin before he went off to class.

I sighed in relief. This happens everytime—Kim Jonghyun making fun of poor me, Lee Hyejin. I don’t remember doing anything to him, except maybe I spotted his phone lying on the bleachers one time and I gave it back to him safe and un-scratched. Now that was a kind deed, nothing bad or anything. I did something right and this is what I get? Be Kim Jonghyun’s victim for the rest of the school year? And I hate it actually—how I’m able to like him even though I hate him. I hate and like him at the same time, and I really don’t get myself for this. Maybe this is why he’s making fun of me, it’s because I’m probably a weirdo or something.

“Psssst.” I tried not to look on my side. I knew it was him. And he’s not supposed to sit there, just weeks ago he asked our teacher if he may switch seats with my original seatmate. He threatened our teacher that he’ll blame him if he failed the exams because he assigned him to sit at the back when he’s too short to see the lecture and he can’t hear the discussion because he’s too far away.

“Hyejin~” He whispered. “Read this.” Then something landed on top of my table, a leaf of Jonghyun’s notebook with doodles of stick men and fire-blowing bunnies. Gee, how creative, I thought. I opened the folded paper and read the message: "I’ve discovered something about you. Ke.” I thought it’s useless, nothing but 5 words and a single laugh finishing it off. I rolled my eyes and return his paper back.

He smirked and made gestures, he pointed something on my mouth then he pointed his. I took my hankie and wiped off whatever particle or molecule stuck in there. But he shook his head, making an x-mark with his fingers.

“What?” I mouthed silently, not wanting to be caught by the teacher.

And then he mouthed something as well. I wasn’t able to digest what he was trying to tell so I thought that maybe I should learn how to lip read. He used his hands to make gestures again. First, he was pointing at me. Second, he was sticking his five fingers all together looking more like what seemed to be a bird’s beak, and then he does the same to the other hand. Third, both beak-looking hands collided at each other and lastly, he pointed to himself.

“Wait a min—“ I said in a low voice before I realized something—what he was trying to say, what he meant when he said he discovered something about me. I was feeling very alert all of a sudden. I turned to gaze back at him and the time I did that, he gave me a flying kiss that probably says it all.

How did he know about this? When? And who told him?

I shook my head and reverted my eyes back to my own desk. Who cares? I thought. It wasn’t a big deal, really.

But I still don’t get it, deep inside me I feel like I’m doomed, bounded to be his servant—like he might perhaps use that to blackmail me or something. Maybe I’m just looking at the situation negatively, but heck, there’s no good side to see anyway.