Getting to know each other

The Forbidden Fruit Tastes Best

- So tell me, sir, where you are living exactly so that I can think of a path we should take – I looked at him questioningly.

- Oh, in Seocho Useong Village. My house is in front of the Seogwang church – said Yoochun, but he raised his eyebrows seeing my reaction.  – Is something wrong with it?

- No! Not at all. Just… I’m also living in that area. We must be neighbours. If that’s how it is, we have to take two lines of the subway. First, we need to get to Bangbae Station and go to Seoul National University of Education Station. It’s subway line 2. Then, we’ll change to line 7 and get to Nambu Bus Terminal. We can take bus, but it’s faster to go on foot. Is everything clear?

- To be honest, names don’t tell me anything…

                We looked at each other and started laughing at the same moment. I felt overwhelming happiness as we were walking towards the subway station side by side. His mere presence was enough to make me drunk of this happiness. I wondered whether he felt even half of what I was feeling at that moment.

                We stopped by the coffee shop which was near the station and took one away.  Waiting for a subway to arrive, we started a conversation.

- Songsaengnim, can I ask why you moved here?

- Yeah, sure. It’s not a secret – Yoochun smiled warmly. – It’s obvious that there are more prospects in such a city. I previously taught in a small village, you know. I got to know about this empty vacancy from a friend and I applied right away. I was lucky enough to get it.

- I’m really glad you did.

- Really, why? – he laughed lightly seeing my serious face.

- Well… Let’s just say that I didn’t like our last teacher as much as I like you – I answered revealing only half of the truth.

- We had only one lesson! How can you already say that you like me more?

- I just know it. You’re a wonderful person – I smiled widely when Yoochun put a doubtful face. – Don’t look at me like that. People say I’ve got quite a sixth sense when it comes to people.

- I guess I can feel honoured then – Yoochun looked into the distance. – I hope I will be able to meet your expectations.

- Just don’t give too much of homework.

                 Mr Park chuckled but nodded. We saw a subway coming so we stood in line with other people. Everyone was coming back from work so the station was pretty crowded. When we got in we were pushed further. (Un)Fortunately, I ended up being squeezed to Yoochun. I shifted my eyes to his, feeling completely embarrassed because of the closeness.

- I’m sorry, sir… I… I can’t move – I stuttered.

- Don’t worry. We’re gonna make it somehow – he cleared his throat quietly.

                  I nodded not sure what to do. Well, I should probably have grabbed something to hold balance. However, it was too late for me. I gasped when a subway took off and I started falling backwards. Suddenly, I felt someone’s hand clasping around my wrist and in another second I was pressed to this someone’s chest. I gulped, too afraid to shift my eyes as I breathed in Yoochun’s perfume. I only heard quiet “be careful” to which I replied with a hesitant nod. We didn’t say a word throughout an entire journey. When we got off, it felt really awkward. I contorted my lips a little, trying to gather the remains of my courage.

- Songsaengnim…

- It’s ok, Sanghwa-ah. These things happen, right? – Yoochun tried to defuse the tension, which made me relieved.

- Right. You’re right, songsaengnim. And thank you. I thought I was going to die there.

- I’m your teacher. I need to protect my students. It’s a full-time job as a bodyguard, you know – he laughed at his own words.

- More like a guardian angel – I mumbled.

- Excuse me?

- Nothing. Let’s go this way.

                   Fortunately, the second line of subway was not as crowded as the previous one, so we kept a safe distance between each other. When we got off on Nambu Bus Terminal, we started walking up the street until we reached our neighbourhood. It turned out that Yoochun had a house one street away from me.

- Thank you, Sanghwa-ah. I wouldn’t be able to get here without you – he thanked me as we were standing in front of his house.

- It was my pleasure, sir. If you have any difficulty in going around the city, just call me. Your class president will come to the rescue at once! – I saluted happily.

- I’ll take at your word then! Now, go home quickly. Your parents will be worried if you don’t show up in a moment.

                  My smile faltered. This one sentence killed my good mood in an instant. Yoochun raised his eyebrows, seeing grimace that appeared on my face.

- Did I say something wrong? – he asked slowly.

- No, it’s nothing.

- Are you sure? You can talk with me if you want to, Sanghwa-ah. I will hear you out – Yoochun reassured me with a worried face expression.

- Erm, my parents divorced long time ago. I’m living with my mom – I started to kick ground as I felt my cheeks burning. – But she’s really busy at work. We rarely see each other as she comes back home late.

- Oh, sorry to hear that – he replied quietly.

- It’s ok, I’m used to that – I forced a smile.

- I guess we’re in the same boat then – Yoochun sighed looking up in the sky.

- Why is that so?

- My parents also divorced when I was only a kid. I had been living with my mother until I moved out. Now I’m living alone.

                    Silence has fallen upon both of us. However, I was kind of happy. We shared something. Something that was outside of school. Moreover, I got to know that he was single. Well, that was what he had meant by living alone, right? I truly hoped so.

- It got pretty gloomy, didn’t it? – Yoochun laughed awkwardly.

- Yeah, but thank you for hearing me out, songsaengnim. I feel better – I bowed a little.

- If you say so then I’m happy. I guess we’ll see each other tomorrow at school, right?

- Yes, sir. See you tomorrow! – I waved at him.

                     Yoochun waved back and disappeared behind the door. I rushed home and called Jihwa at once to give a report. She listened to me attentively, making short comments from time to time. After I was done reporting, Jihwa smacked her lips voicing her approval.

- This might get extremely interesting – she said. – Who knew it would turn out this way! You’re lucky that you’ve found someone like him so easily, Sanghwa-ah.

- I know. And that is why I will treasure him till the end.


Second chapter is done! I hope you'll like it :))