First Encounter

The Forbidden Fruit Tastes Best

 

- I’m your new homeroom teacher. My name is Park Yoochun.

That was it. That was the moment. I’ve gone completely mad in an instant. Is it even possible? Whether it is or not, there is still this undeniable fact that I’ve entirely fallen for my teacher. Even though he is not so old, since he is 26, there is still a 10-year difference. Oh my God, what should I do? I guess my parents and school staff won’t be happy about it.

- There are some matters I need to discuss with you. First of all, I’d need some help so we need to appoint someone to be a class president. Are there any volunteers?

My hand just shot into the air. My new teacher smiled at me and looked into the class list. The rest of my classmates looked at me as if I had gone crazy. I’ve NEVER wanted to engage in such activities.

- Sanghwa-ah, right?

- That’s right, sir. I’m at your service.

- Haha, don’t make such a big deal out of it. But can you stay after the lesson?

- Sure, sir.

Would it be wrong to get to know him a little more? Either way, I don’t care. I want to get to know him.

                Mr Park Yoochun taught us American literature. The rest of the lesson felt like a second since I was literally melting inside at the sound of his voice which was so incredibly deep and warm. After the class was over, I waited till the classmates left the room and only then walked up to Yoochun’s desk. He smiled at me once again and I couldn’t help smiling back.

- So Sanghwa-ah I have a task for you… - he started.

- Anything for you, sir – I replied at the spot.

- Thanks, Sanghwa-ah. I do really appreciate your willingness to help me. So listen. I need you to distribute these flyers among our students and to stick it to the message board on each corridor. Is it doable?

Of course! Just leave it to me, songsaengnim.

 Thank you, really. I’ll owe you one.

-  It’s nothing. So you’re a new teacher here? Oh my, sorry I shouldn’t have asked… It’s not my business.

-  It’s alright, don’t worry – Yoochun laughed seeing my apologetic face. – Yep, I’m new. I’m actually new to the town as well. I’ve never been in Seoul. It’s quite hard to get around when you don’t know the city.

- Oh really? I can show you! If you like, of course.

- Hmm I don’t know if it is appropriate…- he frowned a bit.

- Actually I showed a city to our previous English teacher – I lied smoothly. – It’s nothing wrong with it, right?

Yoochun looked at me but his expression didn’t show anything. However, I could still admire his manly face features and his gentle-looking eyes. Finally, he gave me a sigh and nodded.

- Ok, because I actually don’t know how to get home from here. And taxi would get stuck in the traffic and I would pay a lot. But, Sanghwa-ah… Don’t tell anyone, ok? I don’t want any misunderstandings.

- It’s ok, sir. You can trust me.

***

- Sanghwa-ah! Over here!

I looked in the direction I had heard the scream. It was my best friend, Jihwa, who was waving like mad. When I was near enough, she dragged me and sat me beside her. She eyed me suspiciously, but I somehow managed not to blink.

- What the hell was that? You, the class president? – she asked.

- Just felt like it.

- Yeah, sure and I’m the Japanese Empress. Is it because of this new teacher?

- Why? He is new, I don’t know him – I started looking at my nails to avoid eye contact.

There was short silence after my sentence. So I shifted my eyes and saw Jihwa smirking. I raised my eyebrow in a mute question.

- You like him – she stated rather than asked.

- Oh please, he’s a teacher.

- It doesn’t matter. He’s y – Jihwa smirked. – And exactly your type. Oh stop being like this, Sanghwa-ah. It’s obvious. So? What are you gonna do?

- You won’t stop your investigation, will you? – she gave me the ‘look’. – Ok, you’ve won. Yes, I like him. And that is why I have become a class president. But as for what I’m gonna do… I just want to get to know him better.

- How?

- I will show him the city after the classes are over – I whispered so that no one could hear me.

- Wow! You act really fast! But good luck, Sanghwa-ah. I know that you won’t give up on this crazy idea easily so I’ll just support you.

- Thanks, Jihwa. You’re truly the best!

- Just.. be careful, ok? You get carried away sometimes.

- I will, don’t worry.

Jihwa had quite a worried expression so I put my arm around her shoulder and squeezed her a little. I know that sometimes I get carried away. And I do things without thinking. But it’s a completely different story. I treat it more like a game. I hope I do.

***

Yoochun and I were to meet outside of the school so that nobody could see us together. My heart was beating much faster now because of excitement. I felt like a little kiddo who would finally get his Christmas present.

- Sanghwa-ah?

I turned around. I was standing face to face with Park Yoochun, who looked even  more handsome than in the morning. He smiled widely seeing me actually waiting for him.

- I thought you will stand me up to be honest – Yoochun scratched his head nervously.

- Stand you up? Never! – I chuckled at his adorable awkwardness. – Are you ready for a mini tour, songsaengnim?

- Yep, let’s do this!