Alone

The Forbidden Fruit Tastes Best

                I checked if I had everything I needed. Underwear, t-shirts, trousers… Yes, I think I got it all. I looked at the watch to see it was 8 p.m. It was still too early to go to bed. Moreover, I was far too excited to even think of falling asleep. I’ll be with Yoochun for the whole 3 days, not to mention the free time when we will be alone. We are going to Sokcho and Seoraksan National Park for some mountain climbing.

                I made my way to the kitchen. Mom was sitting in the living room, watching tv, so I knew she wouldn’t notice if I actually left the house. I quietly closed the door and went to the nearby playground. I used to come here to play as a kid, very often with my dad. Memories of him always made me calm inside and that was why I came here every time I felt distressed. I sat down on the bench, lifting my head to the sky. The moon was really big and shone brightly.

- Are you alone lady?

                I turned my head so quickly that I nearly broke my neck. I let out the air out of my lungs when I saw Yoochun approaching with a wide smile. I pointed my finger at him, pouting.

- You scared me!

- Don’t tell me Sanghwa-ah that you thought that someone was actually picking you up? – Yoochun laughed wholeheartedly, sitting next to me.

- Now that was rude, sir! Aren’t I pretty enough to be picked up or what? – I squinted my eyes, eyeing him.

- There, there, of course you are pretty enough. Sonsaengnim is making fun of you – Yoochun affectionately patted my head. – Why aren’t you at home? It isn’t wise to be outside at this hour.

- It’s ok. The neighbourhood is peaceful here. I’ve been doing it for years actually – I shifted my eyes to the moon again. – I feel calm when I’m here.

- Haaa, is that so. Am I disturbing you then? Should I leave? – Yoochun tilted his head questioningly.

- It’s ok, but don’t be surprised when I’ll be ignoring your prescence.

- Alright, I’ll keep it in mind – he laughed again.

- You are in awfully good mood. Did something good happen? – I raised my eyebrows seeing his smiling face.

- Doesn’t meeting you suffice? – Yoochun beamed at me.

                   I felt the blush creeping on my cheeks. I averted my eyes, mumbling ‘so cheesy’, which made him even more cheerful. I think not talking to him made it all worse. I longed for this conversation to last forever. Even the atmosphere was completely different: we were much closer. Did he miss me just as much as I missed him? Was that even possible?

- Waa isn’t it nice? – Yoochun lifted his head up.

- What exactly?

- Really? – he frowned a bit. – Didn’t you want to talk with me the entire time? I miss my partner in crime at school!

- Is teacher supposed to say it? – this time I laughed, trying to hide my own fluster. – Aren’t you favouring a student, Park sonsaengnim?

- You little… Pretend you never heard it.

                   We looked at each other at the same moment and burst out laughing. His laugh made my heart go literally wild. Eh, this guy was truly the king of my heart. He could do anything with me and I would do anything for him.

- Come on, Sanghwa-ah, I’ll walk you home. It’s late – said Yoochun, getting up.

- I’ll be fine, really – I frowned, showing my annoyance.

- Enough of this. I’ll walk you home whether you want it or not. Don’t you want to spend some more time with your favourite teacher?

- Who said you are my favourite – I stuck my tongue out at him.

- Well, the stars – Yoochun grinned and made his way to my house.

                      I rolled my eyes, following him. When we reached my home, Yoochun told me to go sleep early because our bus was at 7 am. I promised him that and waved goodbye. As I came in, my mom was in her bedroom asleep. Just as I thought, she hadn’t noticed my absence. I shrugged my shoulders and went to my room. Tomorrow is a big day, after all!

*** The following morning ***

- OK, I’ll check the attendance to make sure everyone’s here and I assume we can go, right? – Yoochun looked at his students.

- Yes, sonsaengnim!!!

                      I smiled lightly when I saw his child-like enthusiasm. That was the side of him that I loved the most. His happiness was clearly visible to everyone. Yoochun was one of the most honest people I’d ever known. He didn’t care that he should behave ‘like teacher’: be strict and serious. He wanted to show his true self to people and he was certainly doing it right.

                      I felt that someone gave me a nudge in the ribs. I hissed and looked at Jihwa disapprovingly, massaging my left side.

- What was that for?

- I had to interrupt you somehow – Jihwa said, smirking.

- Interrupt me with what…?

- This love gaze you were giving Yoochun a second ago made me sick – she laughed seeing me grimace.

- I wasn’t giving him a love gaze! – I exclaimed, pouting.

- Yeah and how would you call this? – Jihwa made an ugly face expression that was supposed to show a dreamy love gaze.

- I couldn’t have made such an ugly face – I whispered frightened.

- I made it on time and our handsome teacher didn’t notice – my friend winked at me. – Have you thought about your lovey-dovey alone time?

- It won’t be lovey-dovey – I blushed heavily and turned away.

- If you say so – Jihwa yawned fakely. – But I’m sure sonsaengnim wants to spend some time with you as well.

- To be honest, we met each other yesterday on the playground.

- What?! And you didn’t tell me about it! Spit it out!

            Jihwa was listening attentively as I was telling her my story. Even she made remark that Yoochun’s utterances were extremely cheesy. And inappropriate for a teacher. I smacked her arm when she said “Told you he is falling for you. Guys are so predictable”. However, I was still concerned with his good humour the previous evening. I had this terrible feeling it had something to do with this girlfriend of his.

- They… They aren’t getting married, are they? – I asked faintly, the mere thought smashing my heart with pain.

- Shhh, Sanghwa-ah. Don’t let it bother you for now. Think of the trip, hm? Everything will be ok – Jihwa gave me a reassuring smile.

- Yeah, you’re right. I need to stay optimistic!

- That’s the spirit! – my friend squeezed my hand a little.

         I looked over the Yoochun’s seat. As if he knew, he turned his head in my direction and smiled. I smiled back and showed him thumbs up. Just you wait! The time we’ll spend together will be unforgettable! And you will at last fall for me!

 

***************

Late update T^T I knooooow. But the uni is getting worse and worse and the finals are on their way -.- Please don't be mad! This chap is so... meh. But I didn't want to jump directly to the trip. I hope you like it more than I do lol.