Chapter 14

Dream High: My Sweet Love

"I'm sure a lot of Joo Yong-sshi's fans would love to see you when you performed in the showcase at Kirin. Which showcase that you have performed in was the best one?"

"It would definitely have to be the last one I performed in, right before W.W was created."

"That wasn't too long ago then. Why was that your favourite?"

"I was given the best performances," Joo Yong laughed softly. "It was only my second showcase but it was definitely the better one."


"Joo Yong?" Ellie asked, waving her hand in front of Joo Yong's face to get the girl's attention. "I asked if you invited anyone to come and see your showcase."

"My grandma."

Joo Yong was, in fact, given three invitations; one of which she had given to her grandmother but the other two were meant for her father and Sun Oh. She didn't particularly want them to go so she kept the invitations to herself but it backfired when she realised that Hae Sung was in the showcase as well and she would have invitations for them.

"Yo, I'm surprised even one person is coming for you. Is this grandma from your mother's side? No wonder," Eun Sung said, walking past the trio. "After all, she would support her own daughter's daughter, wouldn't she? Even though the real daughter of Lee Min Kyung is Hae Sung-unnie..."

Ellie wanted to say something in retaliation but Joo Yong stopped her. Joo Yong wasn't bothered by it anymore and neither should her friends in case they got into some kind of trouble that would stop them from performing in the showcase.

"Nothing to say to me? Of course you don't have anything to say because everything say is right."

*After School*

"Joo Yong ah, are you really not going to invite your father? I know Hae Sung-unnie will be inviting her parents but shouldn't you at least tell him?" Ellie asked. "He is your father as well."

Joo Yong shook her head, insisting that she wasn't even going to tell her father that she was performing in the showcase. She wrapped her arm around Jun Hong's as they walked out together. Right outside the school was parked a car and the man leaning against the car was none other than Lee Min Kyung, Hae Sung's and Joo Yong's father.

"Joo Yong, get in the car," he said. "I'm picking you guys up today."

"I'm taking the bus."

"Joo Yong," Min Kyung frowned, grabbing his daughter's elbow and looked at her friends. "I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I take Joo Yong home today, right?"

Ellie shook her head but Jun Hong frowned slightly. Joo Yong pulled her elbow away from her father and looked at Jun Hong, hoping that maybe if he said something, her father would not insist on picking her up as well. 

"Joo Yong and I have a date," Jun Hong said.

"I'm sorry but that will have to be cancelled today," Min Kyung said, opening the car door. "Joo Yong, please get in."

"But sir-"

"I said the date is cancelled, boy. I would like to spend some time with my daughter as well," the man said and looked at Joo Yong who didn't budge.

It wasn't until when Hae Sung arrived that the situation became less awkward.

"Appa?" Hae Sung frowned slightly and looked at Joo Yong. "Oh, are you here to pick us up today?"

"Get in the car with your sister, Hae Sung," Min Kyung said, going to get in on the driver's side. 

Joo Yong tried to escape by walking off with Ellie and Jun Hong but Hae Sung grabbed her arm, pulling her into the car with her and closed the door. Jun Hong frowned but he was too late to save Joo Yong when her father drove off. 

"How was school today?"

"It was good," Hae Sung said and looked at Joo Yong who didn't say anything. "Yong Guk and I did well in our rehearsal so hopefully, everything will go well for the showcase."

"How about you, Joo Yong?"

"I got asked who would come to the showcase to watch me," Joo Yong said. "Only Grandma will be coming but even then, people are surprised considering that my mother is a home-wrecker and I'm an illegitimate child."

"Joo Yong ah...when you say things like that, it hurts appa's feelings."

"What about my feelings? Did anyone ever cared about my feelings?"

"How can we care about your feelings when you never talk to us?" Min Kyung asked. "I'm trying to be a father to you, Joo Yong, but you're making everything so hard. I brought you back from England to take care of you as your father, didn't I?"

"Did you ask if I wanted to leave England?"

There was a moment of silence after Joo Yong's question and the girl looked out of the car window. She wasn't sorry for making the situation awkward because she was telling the truth and they were the ones who wanted to know her feelings.

"Do you want to go back to England?" Min Kyung asked after a long moment of silence.

"Appa!" Hae Sung gasped. "Joo Yong, you don't want to leave us, do you?"

"If I was given the choice, I would go back to England. Jun Hong is the only reason I might consider staying."

"Joo Yong! Don't go back to England, please stay with us."

"Joo Yong...you know I loved your mother. I still love her very much. I know I owe Yun Jung a lot."

"Don't say her name. You don't deserve to use her name."

"Joo Yong...if I could reverse time, I would. I wish Yun Jung was still alive and you would have a mother."

"But no father," the girl mumbled softly. "You really think I would be able to have a happy family if my mother was still alive? You think you can leave unnie and your wife? Once you make a mistake, that mistake stays with you your entire life and even if life went differently to now, that mistake would still be present."

"What do you want from me, Joo Yong?"

"I was perfectly happy without a father before," she said softly. "I always thought having a father was better but obviously, I was wrong."

"Appa, Joo Yong is performing in the showcase as well," Hae Sung quickly said.

Min Kyung looked at Joo Yong through his rearview mirror as he drove on. He was going to find out on the day of the showcase anyway so Joo Yong didn't say anything to deny or to reinforce that fact.

"I'm sure she'll do well."

*Showcase*

"Is everybody ready?" the teacher asked, coming backstage to check on the students. "Yoon Hee, why aren't you in your costume yet? Has anyone seen Woo Dong anywhere? Woo Dong? Woo Dong ah?"

Ellie took in a deep breath, mumbling the lyrics of a song under her breath as she practiced the dance moves in small movements then looked to Joo Yong who was sat in front of the mirror, checking her make-up. 

"Joo Yong ah, aren't you nervous?"

Joo Yong shook her head as she wiped a bit of make-up off that was out of place. "Have you seen Jun Hong anywhere?"

"No...I think he's having his hair done though. But Joo Yong ah, you're seriously not nervous? How can you be not nervous?" Ellie asked.

"This showcase is just like the one before, isn't it? Just slightly on a bigger scale."

Ellie sighed, knowing that Joo Yong would probably never understand. Joo Yong, on the other hand, was more concern that Jun Hong was nowhere to be seen and he was her only support seeing as her father came to see Hae Sung, not her. 

"Wow, this place is packed," Jun Hong said, pushing through the crowd. Joo Yong stood up immediately, looking at him. "Omo, Joo Yong looks really pretty."

"Why are you surprised? Doesn't Joo Yong look pretty all the time?" Ellie asked.

"Of course she's pretty all the time," Jun Hong smiled, taking Joo Yong's hand and frowned. "Are you nervous, Joo Yong? Your palm is sweaty."

Joo Yong pulled her hand back and wiped it against her skirt. 

"It's fine if you're nervous, Joo Yong," Jun Hong grinned. "I think it's cute that you're actually nervous. Also," he said, leaning in. "I snuck out to sneak a peek and I saw your grandma, your father and that mean woman in the crowd, sitting together. They must be here for you as well."

"Joo Yong, you lied about not being nervous!" Ellie pouted. "But you don't have to be, Joo Yong is good at everything and your father is here to watch you! How exciting is that?"

"Also, I told my parents to watch out for my girlfriend," Jun Hong smirked. "I didn't tell them who you are but I did describe you very well so I'm sure they wouldn't miss you."

"Oh, meeting the in-laws already?" Ellie giggled.

"Freshman class! Get ready! You're on after the two second years starting performance!" 

Ellie looked at Joo Yong and gave her a hug before rushing off, following her own group to the other side of the stage, staying in the wings as they waited for their turn. Joo Yong was with Jun Hong and her nervousness was starting to show while they waited in the wing. She took in deep breaths and looked at Jun Hong, taking his hand, gripping it tightly.

"You'll do fine," Jun Hong whispered, holding her hand back. He checked around him and everyone else was too busy watching the performance on stage to pay any attention to them so he lifted Joo Yong's chin, bent down and gently kissed her on the lips. "For good luck."

~~~

"Joo Yong! Lee Joo Yong!" Bi Jeong shouted, pushing her way through the crowd in the dressing room as she looked for the girl. "Ellie Park?" she called. 

"Bi Jeong-unnie!"

Following the voice, Bi Jeong finally arrived in front of the two girls. "Right, now we need to go all the way back to the door because it's going to be our turn soon."

"Bi Jeong, have you seen Woo Dong?" the teacher asked, catching the girl before she left.

"Woo Dong? Who's he?"

"I haven't seen Woo Dong-goon anywhere today," Ellie said, raising her hand. "Some of us tried calling him but he's not answering his phone."

"Sorry but we have to go now," Bi Jeong said, taking Joo Yong's and Ellie's hands as they battled their way through the crowd.

They waited in the wing and Young Jae came running to them, panting heavily. "I gave the DVD in...they'll have it ready for your performance."

"Gumawo, Young Jae-oppa," Ellie smiled but Bi Jeong yanked her back.

"Concentrate. We can thank him later," she said, watching as the people before them were applauded before they went off stage. The staff were getting the stage ready for their performance and Bi Jeong nodded to the girls, taking in a deep breath as they walked out together.

They took their positions and Bi Jeong looked at Joo Yong, giving her a nod of reassurance and did the same with Ellie. However, Joo Yong could only concentrate on the audience and right in the middle were her grandma, father and Sun Oh. She was staring at them so much that she nearly missed the beginning of the song.

"People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt  and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek?

Father, Father, Father help us
Send some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?
" (Ellie)

"What's wrong with the world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world's addicted to the drama
Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma

Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin'
In the USA, the big CIA
The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
" (Joo Yong)

"But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah

Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all
" (Bi Jeong)

 

"People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt  and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek?

Father, Father, Father help us
Send some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?
" (Ellie)

~~~

"Woo Dong-goon? Woo Dong-goon, where are you?" the teacher asked, still searching around the dressing room. "Aigoo...where is Woo Dong?"

"Woo Dong? Did you say Woo Dong is not here?" Eun Sung asked, frowning after she had finally heard the teacher after all these time. "If Woo Dong's not here, how am I supposed to do the last performance? It's a duet!"

"I'm sorry, Eun Sung-sshi but if Woo Dong is not here then we can't do your performance."

"Can't do my performance?! Then how are you going to end it?!"

At that moment, Ellie walked in with Joo Yong and Bi Jeong, giggling about how their performance was awesome. "Can't do you performance?" Ellie asked and frowned. "What's going on?"

"Woo Dong-goon is not here so we can't do Eun Sung-sshi's duet with him at the end. Now we don't have an end performance."

"I can do it myself!" Eun Sung protested.

"What about Joo Yong and Jun Hong?"

"What about them?" Eun Sung spat.

"They can do the duet at the end. They have something prepared."


Please vote for what I should write next! A variety show fanfic of Idol Army with W.W interacting with other groups? Or a drama fanfic called It's All Lies, starring Lee Joo Yong (W.W), Choi Jun Hong (B.A.P) and Jang Woo Young (2PM)? Please comment below!