Let's See Each Other Again

Snowflakes

 

Please do not plagiarize, copy, nor claim this story yours.

Thanks.

 


 

OneShot

 

 

 

 “Yah! Wait for me!” Kim Min Hee ran under the cold, snowy weather. Clutching her teddy bear, she scoffed steam out of her nose and struggled to keep on running with her tiny feet; leaving little shoe imprints on the snow.

 “Ahahaha~ You can’t catch me!” He turned his head around at Min Hee who was trying to catch his pace. He stuck his tongue out at her and kept on running. “Oof!” Min Hee fell, face flat on the icy asphalt pavement – leaving yet another imprint on the ground, this time, her face. “Ah! Are you okay?” He ran back towards her. Min Hee sat down from her spot, her hands with pink, lacy mittens on it covering her face. “Uuh…” She sobbed and rubbed her red nose, but he can’t seem to see it because of her wavy hair which was covering her whole face.

 “Omo! I-I’m sorry, really sorry…” He guided her to stand up, successfully he did. Min Hee kept on sobbing, causing her to lose balance while he helped her stand up. “Come on.” He wrapped his arm over her waist, “It’s okay, don’t worry. It’ll heal soon.” He assured and patted Min Hee’s bonnet. But that doesn’t stop Min Hee from weeping. He sighed and lifted his chin and thought about something. “Aha!” He snapped his finger, causing Min Hee to peek from her hand, making her interested from what he will do. “Look here.” The boy stretched out his hand, the other hand on top of it, making a twirling action. The wind gathered from that certain spot on his palm, probably the centre.

 He kept on twirling and turning it. Min Hee was already hopping enthusiastically. She couldn’t wait for that thing that would come sooner or later out of his hand. Later, it was forming a star-like shape. It was like a spider’s web, but crystal-ish and icy transparent. A snowflake. “Ah! Gimme, gimme, gimme~!” Min Hee hopped once more, trying to reach out for the snowflake that magically appeared out of nowhere from his hand. “Here.” He smiled and gave it to Min Hee, who seemed to really cherish it. “You happy now?” He asked. “Mmm!” She nodded, with an eye smile on her face. “Good.” He patted her shoulder and kept on walking.

 “Ah… The snow’s going to stop soon.” He reached out his hand, causing very tiny balls fall unto his palm.

 “You’re going…?” Min Hee looked at him with a pout on her face.

 “…Sadly, yes.”

 There was a moment of silence between the two.

 “Anyways, I have to get going.” He patted her head once more and smiled at her, “Don’t… Forget me, okay?” Min Hee faced him with bambi eyes. “Of course I wouldn’t. Now go!” He pushed her towards the other path. “And don’t look back.” He noted and flicked her forehead. “O-Okay.” She proceeded her way to her house, while he went the other way.

 “Don’t look back.”

 Min Hee gulped and turned her whole body around only to see an empty neighborhood covered with the snow.

 “Good bye, Xiumin…”

 

 

 “Hey! What are you planning to do this Christmas?”

 “You wanna go to our party?”

 “Yah! I’m kinda busy.”

 The whole class was in high spirits, and so is the interior. The room was decorated with Christmas stuff – stockings were hanged on the walls, there was a big Christmas tree at the back, designed with Christmas balls and a star at the top. Under it was presents of every shape and color. The windows were designed, too. On the board was written ‘Merry X’Mas and Happy New Year’ with different colors of chalk. There were little messages, too.

 Everyone in class seemed to be busy talking and planning about their long awaited Christmas Vacation. They conversed to each of their friends, inviting them to parties or whatnot. There were smiles and cheers everywhere. But there was one who kept a neutral face – Kim Min Hee. She quietly sat down on her chair which was near the rear window with her cheek resting on her hand. She stared out into space and let her friends and classmates be the noisy ones. If you would describe her, you would think she was the ‘quiet and shy’ type, but she’s not. She’s sometimes noisy and quite at time, so she’s both.

 “Min Hee~” Her best friend, Eunji, came popping from behind her; hugging her neck. “Yah! Eunji, what is it?” Min Hee, who got shocked, turned around and faced her friend. “Do you have any plans for the Christmas break?” Eunji put her chin on the back of her both hands with a cat-like expression. “Hm… Maybe~?” Min Hee turned her chair facing Eunji’s table. Yep, her friend’s table is just behind her, so she’s free to talk to her anytime.

 “Why do you ask?”

 “Oh please help me bake a cake and cookies for our party at the eve!” Eunji clapped her hands and begged.

 “That sounds awesome! But sorry~ I can’t.”

 “Aww…” Eunji pouted, “Really?”

 “Yep. Really.”

 “But we only had a few time hanging out at Christmas eve, like, once.”

 “But we can always hang out everyday. Unlike him…”

 Eunji fell silent. “…Yeah, I know that. But can you please come to my house? Just one or two days would be fine?” She batted her eyes. “Sorry, you know I can’t. I’ve got to spend every important second with him. You do know that he only comes once a year, yeah?” “Yeah… But can I at least come meet him?” She pleaded once more. “No thank you. You might fall for him.” Min Hee giggled and winked. “I heard he got into a school at China. Is he really that smart? He’s in college now, right? Right?” Eunji seemed to be so interested about ‘him’.

 “Yep. He’s at art class.”

 “Awesome! But it’s too bad that you can only see him once a year. Pretty lame, huh?”

 “Mmm…” Min Hee nodded.

 The two of them kept on talking about the made up stories Min Hee made to cover up his real identity. Eunji never knew about it. It was the first time Min Hee lied through her whole life… But it was all for him. Will she be able to keep it up?

 *I can’t wait to see you again…*

 

 

 “Min Hee~ Someone’s at the door! Could you get it? My hands are full.”

 “Coming!”

 Min Hee ran towards the door. She twisted open the door knob and opened it fully. In front of her was a familiar face she hadn’t seen for a long, long time. “Xiumin!” She hugged him with a wide grin plastered on her face. “Woah! Easy there.” He patted her back and smiled. “You’re back after so long… I missed you.” She pouted. “Well, I’m here now, right?” Xiumin ruffled her hair. “Good. Because I’ll be spending the whole vacation with you~” Min Hee beamed. “Shall we?” Xiumin pretended to be a gentleman and reached out a hand, showing Min Hee the way outside. “Why of course, good sir.” Min Hee did a curtsey and took Xiumin's hand. She giggled, “Umma! I’m going out~” She shouted. “Arasso!” She replied back.

 “It’s been a while, huh?”

 “Yeah…”

 The two kept on walking with no specific destination.

 “You know what? I’ve been keeping all the snowflakes you made for me for the last years, but they all just melted away!”

 “You dum-dum!” Xiumin chuckled, “Of course they would!” Xiumin lightly spanked Min Hee’s arm.

 “Yah!” She rubbed her arm and giggled. “…I’m supposed to meet up with a friend.” Min Hee brought up, “And you know, I kinda had the feeling that she likes you~” She cooed. “Oh, really? Am I that handsome in your stories?” Xiumin rubbed his chin with a smirk. “Kya! Don’t say that!” Min Hee pinched his cheeks. “So anyways, why didn’t you meet up with her?” Xiumin gave her a confused look, “Because… I wanted to hang out with you.” Min Hee scratched the back of her neck. “But we can always hang out together, right?” Xiumin eyed her. “That’s my line! But… we hang out, like, everyday. While the two of us… Y-You know what I mean.” Min Hee looked down the icy ground.

 “…I get that.” Xiumin pecked on Min Hee’s forehead, “I’ll be fine.” He grinned.

 

 

 Min Hee was with Xiumin the whole vacation, but today, she wasn’t with Xiumin for fun or hanging out of some sort. It was more important.

 “Ah… We’re here!” Min Hee ran towards a certain spot. “Hold your horses!” Xiumin, with his hands on his pockets, walked in contrast with Min Hee; he was walking calmly under the snow fall. Min Hee dusted the snow out of the ground, revealing a golden, shiny plaque. “Been a long while since this’ visited, huh?” Min Hee caressed the plaque while Xiumin eyed her with one eyebrow raised. She put a vase of flowers on top of it and smiled gently. There were letters carved on the plaque –

 

Kim Min Seok

1990 – 1998

A loving brother.

R.I.P

 

 “Woah… You aged.” Min Hee giggled. “Of course I did.” Xiumin crouched near her and stared at the plaque with desperate eyes. “I… wish I’m still alive, being able to be with her for eternity.” He smiled gently, but inside, he was torn apart. “At least you lasted long… For your sister.” Min Hee’s eyes squinted, a smile forming on her face. “Not long enough.” Xiumin sighed and stood up, “Come on. It’s getting colder.” Min Hee stood up from her spot and ran towards Xiumin. She clutched her maroon scarf, “What’s the feeling of being a snow spirit?” She asked, “Do you always feel cold and all?” “It’s really tiring bringing winter here in Korea.” Xiumin suppressed a laugh, “Well, it does feel cold. The weather, that is. But the other spirits are cold in the inside.”

 “Why is that?”

 “They’ve forgotten how to love. They forgot everything, well, since it’s a standard operation procedure after you die. Their hearts were frozen, and the only thing they remember is to bring winter to their assigned places. While I…” Xiumin held his chest, “…I can still feel the warmth. I’m different.”

 *But you did forget one thing.* “…Oh.”

 “Min Hee.” Xiumin turned around, “Do you know why snow is white?”

 “Huh?” Min Hee blinked a couple of times.

 “…Because it’s forgotten what color it’s supposed to be.” He smiled.

 

 

 “Merry Christmas!!!” Everyone in the house chanted. They cheered and yelled as the clock 12. There was a party going on in Min Hee’s house, so everyone’s busy having a blast. They all ate at the buffet, roamed around the house, chatted and exchanged gifts. “Min Hee? Where are you going? I need you!” Min Hee’s mom shouted, holding a tray full of cookies. She passed it at everyone. “I’m just gonna go outside~! I know you can handle it!” Min Hee smiled and got a cookie, “But I need you!” She complained, “Hwaiting~” Min Hee cheered as she took a bite from the cookie and chuckled. She started walking away out of the joyous crowd, holding a gift near her chest.

 She opened the sliding door and was greeted by the cold wind from the weather. Min Hee got her scarf and jacket from the rack near the door and put it on her shivering body. Gathering all the courage to get out of the warm house into the snowy world, Min Hee stepped out of the house. Near the porch, she could see Xiumin, standing there still and gazing at the starry, night sky.

 “Ah! Xiumin~” She ran towards him.

 Xiumin turned around and smiled as soon as he saw Min Hee. “What’s up?”

 “Uhm… D-Did I disturb you?” Min Hee hid the present behind her back.

 “Nope, not really. But why are you here? It’s cold, you know?”

 “I-I know…”

 “See? You’re stuttering.”

 True to Xiumin’s words, Min Hee really is stuttering. He got near her, removed his coat and tried to put it around her, but Min Hee halted him, “Yah! D-Don’t come near here…” Min Hee reached a hand at Xiumin, making him stop with a shocked face. *Is she mad or something…?* “I… I have something for you.” Min Hee whispered and revealed her present at him. Xiumin blinked at it for a few times, “Go on. Open it.” Min Hee encouraged. Xiumin eagerly opened it, his eyes rounded at the certain present –

 A picture frame of Min Hee and him, and a snow globe. 

 Xiumin chuckled lightly, “We’re so young here… Thanks by the way.” “Yeah…” Min Hee secretly smiled. *So you won’t forget.* “A-Anyways, I don’t have a gift for you…” Xiumin frowned. “No! I don’t need anything,” Min Hee hid her arms behind her back and smiled cutely, “Your presence is already the greatest present I ever had.”

 “But I’m leaving sooner or later.” Xiumin whispered at mid-sentence.

 “There’s still next year, right?” Min Hee neared him and grinned.

 “Probably.” Xiumin neared Min Hee’s face, letting their noses touch. He rubbed his against hers. “I have to go.” “Too bad…” Min Hee got him on a tight hug and Xiumin returned it back. After a few seconds, Xiumin stopped the contact. “You have to go in. It’s getting pretty cold.” He said with worried eyes. “If you say so.” Min Hee rubbed both her arms, but she wouldn’t leave. She wanted to see the last glimpse of Xiumin for this year. “Bye then…” Xiumin made a little wave and started walking away, his back facing hers, “Until next year.”

 “Yeah…” Min Hee watched him walk away, tears forming in her squinted eyes, “Until then…”

 “...Oppa.” She whispered.