It started with a lie (Sooyoung, Seohyun)

Drabbles of my thought

"If you are going to lie to me, please make this lie last forever."

The sun shone brightly in the sky and Sooyoung crinkled up her nose at the blazing afternoon heat. Adjusting the cap she wore on her head, she stepped through the huge metallic gates and entered into the school’s compound. This was one of the most prestigious school in town and everyone that studied there were either extremely rich, had very influential parents, or was a combination of both. Taking in the unfamiliar surroundings, Sooyoung carefully adjusted the beautifully wrapped box in her hands and shook the broken glass pieces inside to ensure that it was properly scattered around. Eyeballing this tall guy running hastily along the walkway, she purposefully took a step towards his path and crashed hard into him.

Falling backwards, Sooyoung silently dropped the box towards the guy’s bottom, allowing him to fall hard on it. A loud crashing sound echoed throughout the school’s compound as the guy fell onto the box and Sooyoung quickly put on the most horrified expression she could possibly muster up in such a short notice. Standing up, she dusted herself and looked at the crumpled box beneath the guy’s . Holding up the smashed up box, the guy sheepishly smiled and apologies rolled off his tongue in a jumble of words.

Tear welled in her eyes when Sooyoung saw the state the box was in. Taking what remains of the box from the guy’s hands, she shook it a little and the tears finally fell when she heard the rattling sounds of broken glass inside. Her tears seemed to have an effect on the guy before her and she smiled secretly inside when she noticed the guilty look he had on his face. Taking out his bulging wallet from inside his bag, the guy peeled off a stack from wad of notes he had in his wallet and handed them over to Sooyoung as a sort of compensation before apologizing yet again. Running off quickly in the opposite direction, he did not notice Sooyoung tossing away the crumpled up box into the nearest trash can before wiping away the tears on the back of her hand.

Holding up the wad of money in her hand, Sooyoung briefly counted it and smiled to herself as she stepped out of the school’s compound. She had never attended school before, therefore everything in it felt unfamiliar and stressful to her. Applauding sounds could be heard outside the gate causing her to grin even more as she showed off the end results from the few minutes of performance she had put up.

Hyoyeon was leaning against one of the trees outside as Sooyoung approached and she brought her hands together, congratulating Sooyoung on coming up with yet another successful swindling plan. This was not the first time they had worked together and they were sure it would not be their last. The two of them had grown up together after being abandoned at the same landfill by their irresponsible parents and had depended on their wits to survive out in the streets.

Splitting the money down in the middle, Sooyoung handed half of it over to Hyoyeon before accepting over the drink that she had been holding in her hands. Peering in to the school’s compound through the gates they enviously stared at the hardworking students seated around in the courtyard and wondered how different their lives would be if they had a chance to study there.

Hyoyeon gestured towards one of the students seated near the explaining teacher. “See her, that’s the mayor’s daughter. I have heard rumors about her not being very good at interacting with others and thus she has no friends at all in school. Not just that, her dad is supposedly so powerful in this town that everyone fears him, so being his only daughter; no one has the courage to get close to her.”

Nudging Sooyoung with her elbow, Hyoyeon smiled cheekily before nodding her head towards the girl “You always claim to be one of the greatest con artist alive. Try cheating her this time and we will see if you can get away with it that easily.”

Making a fake motion of rattling a box, Sooyoung cocked an eyebrow, “the same trick again?”

Shaking her head, Hyoyeon pondered for a while before breaking out in a smirk. “Let’s try something different this time. We have enough to survive for a few months anyways so why not try capturing the one thing that’s definitely out of reach for someone like us. And that’s getting her to fall in love with you.”

Faking a yawn, Sooyoung raised a hand to cover before finishing up the rest of the drink. “Challenge accepted. The word impossible is never found in my dictionary. Everything is possible, its just a matter of how you make it happen."

Rolling her eyes, Hyoyeon smacked the back of Sooyoung’s head and dragged her along by her arm “Yeah right. Stop all this daydreaming of yours and go home with me, we still have many things aka housework left undone.”

That night, Sooyoung crept out from the little bedroom she had rented with Hyoyeon and sneaked her way into the owner’s study room. Turning on the computer, she searched fervently for details about this mysterious mayor’s daughter and managed to uncover some pretty interesting facts about her.

The next day, Sooyoung mingled into the crowd of students entering the school and managed to gain access to the school’s compound. Whistling softly to herself, she navigated her way through the confusing walkways and found the library in no time. Stepping up to the entrance, she breezed through the sliding glass door and easily found her target half buried behind mountains of books in the near to empty library.

Knocking on the top of the books mountain, Sooyoung managed to catch the attention of the solitary girl she had been looking for. Putting on her best smile, she pointed to one of the books in the middle of the pile and asked in her most polite tone “I am sorry, but are you done with this book yet? I need it for a research I am doing.” As she spoke, she carefully observed the bespectacled girl in front of her, looking for a way to get close.

Without looking up from her book, the girl nodded and proceeded to take the book for Sooyoung. Gritting her teeth, Sooyoung gave the pile before her a push before rushing over to take the onslaught of books on behalf of the girl.  Forming an arch above the girl’s head, Sooyoung took the full impact of the falling books with her back and fell hard onto the ground, blacking out in the process.

Groaning softly, Sooyoung rubbed at a bruise on her head and slowly sat up on the soft white bed she had been lying on. Judging by the smell of antiseptic in the air, she deduced that she had been sent to a sick bay of some sort. The girl she was targeting rushed around the room like a mad person, screaming for bandages and antiseptics to come to her. Laughing out loud, Sooyoung stretched out her hand and grabbed onto the person’s arm, stopping her mid run.

Pointing to the tray beside her bed, Sooyoung calmly took out the bandages and antiseptic from it and started dressing the wound herself. Realizing that Sooyoung has problems tending to the wound at the back of her head, the girl reached out with trembling fingers and took over the job from her. Taking in the faint scent of perfume as the girl leant closer, Sooyoung smiled when she realized that it was a brand she liked.

A few fumbles later, the dressing was done and the girl sat down onto the chair by the side of the bed. Peering at Sooyoung through the thick glasses she had on, she carefully observed the look on Sooyoung’s face to ensure that everything was alright. Bowing deeply, she started mumbling incoherently under her breath and it took a while before Sooyoung realized that it was actually an apology she was muttering.

Stopping her with an outstretched hand, Sooyoung placed a finger over the girl’s lips, silencing her in an instant. Smiling, she removed her finger from the girl’s lips and stretched out her hand “Its okay, no need for apologies. If you look past the thick turban of bandages I have on my head, I am fine and I am glad you are too. I am Sooyoung by the way, what’s your name?”

Shyly stretching out her hand, the girl mildly shook Sooyoung’s hand before murmuring “I am Seohyun. Thanks for saving my life out there.”