THE PRESENT

Heater

•Mir's POV• 

"I don't understand why you're being so picky!" Taeyeon whines, huffing as she plops herself down onto a bench. 

"I'm not being picky, I'm being 'selective'." I clarify, taking a seat beside her to rest my sore feet. I have to admit though, I'm being extra selective with Chohee's gift. I mean, we've been at the mall for hours now...

"Blah, blah, blah. That's all I'm hearing. Just get any random necklace and give it to her. If she's anything like you talk about, she'll accept it just because it comes from you." She says almost bitterly.

She does have a point... But what if it isn't enough?! Chohee'll probably think I'm a cheapskate if I just get something stupid, and she'll probably think that I see her as materialistic if I get her something branded and pricey!... I mean she's rich anyway, what is there that I can get her that she can't get herself?! There's just no winning...

I sigh to myself. "But... I don't know." 

"Oppa, we've been to the mall roaming around for four hours already. I doubt we'll find Chohee a present even if we stay for another five hours! Just... Make a card and write a heartwarming message." Taeyeon suggests, relaxing back against the bench. 

I make a face. "Why is it so hard to find a present?" 

"It's not. You're just over-thinking." Taeyeon stands and wipes off imaginary dust from her pants. "Okay, well I need to go home soon so you make your decision quick. You know Oppa, I was supposed to leave half an hour ago... But it's fine! How about you go and check out that store over there and I'm going to get myself a drink." 

"But it's only seven." I point out, "Why are you leaving so early?"

"I have accounting business to take care of and my family wants to speak to me about Rojin. Oh! That's his name by the way.. The guy I'm marrying; Cheo Rojin, son of the CEO of Platinum Distillery, you know the international wine company?" 

I nod at the famous label name, almost stunned. Taeyeon was going to be married into a life of multimillion dollars yet she didn't seem excited or happy in the slightest for it. 

"Have you met him yet?" I ask sheepishly, curious but tip-toeing near the awkward topic. 

She shakes her head, "Ani. I hope he's a good guy.." Her voice is solemn and thoughtful, almost as if her mind is somewhere else and it reminds me of her old self so much I want to pull her into a hug and tuck her head below my chin and sway her body with mine. But I restrain myself, scolding myself for the random up-burst of an idea. Suddenly, breaking my thoughts, she laughs out loud and my vision of old-Taeyeon disappears. "Well! Whether he's good or not, he'll have to put up with me for the rest of his life! He could be rotten for all I care, so long as he's tolerant." She chuckled once more but it was forced. I bit back a frown.

"What if he's actually a dangerous person?!" I suggest and the look that quickly comes and passes Taeyeon's face tells me she's thought about this before. 

She stares at me silently before shrugging. A sly smile has creeped its way onto her heart-shaped lips. "Then Oppa, it'll be your job to deal with him for me." 

Then, swiftly turning, Taeyeon walks in the direction of the convenience store for her drink, leaving me with her words. I sigh with a weight on my shoulders; not just about Chohee's presents but also about the marriage I know Taeyeon doesn't want. But I have nothing to say so instead, I decide to follow her instructions and look in the store behind me. 

After fifteen minutes of searching through chick flicks on DVD, I give up and go and look for Taeyeon. I find her two stores down, looking at cardigans. 

"How about this?" She asks without looking away from the cotton sweater when I step up to her. 

Woow!... How'd she know it was me? I think, besides the point. "Oh, that's nice... Seems like something Chohee would wear." 

Taeyeon nods to herself in agreement, the look on her face one of concentration. It's strange to see Taeyeon focused on buying clothes, especially for other people. Before, she had as much fashion sense as a colourblind warthog. I shifted my weight as I watched her, also surprised that even though she had probably only seen Chohee two or three times, she already knew what she dressed like... Must be a girl thing. "But the question is, is it enough?" 

I stare down at the cardigan and imagine Chohee wearing it. In my mind I see her laughing to a joke I've said, the perfectly-oversized cardigan waving behind her as she leaned in her laugh. I imagine her wearing it when I bring her to the beach again, the sun shining on her beauty. Finally, I picture her wearing the cardigan and her face, glowing with a smile as bright as a stars, when I finally show her the perfect song. I smile to myself. 

"Wow... Tae, you know what?... I think you might have got it! It's perfect. I should have thought of it earlier!" I proclaim, giddy with the idea of her face when she opens it. 

"Hmm, yeah, alright here, get her size." Taeyeon says and hands me the hanger that the cardigan hangs from. She turns and walks away to look at a rack of dresses but I can tell she's slightly annoyed, even if she tries to hide it.

My smile fades and I sigh but take the cardigan and pay at the front. 

"Well what can I say," Taeyeon says when we wait in front of the mall for her chauffeur. I rock back and forth on my feet for something to do. I look at Taeyeon standing beside me but she looks out at the distant. "I guess it was fun finally hanging out with you." 

I stare at her before a foolish grin finds its way on my face. 

"What?" She asks, finally glancing at me. 

I shake my head happily. "Tae you're so strange." 

"What? How?!" She demands. 

"You complain about not hanging out with me and when I finally do, you make me sound like a boring person!" I explain. 

Taeyeon narrows her eyes at me but it's playful. She sticks her tongue out and states, "That's because you're so boring now." 

"Ouch," I clutch at my heart with faux pain. "That one hurt Tae." 

Taeyeon chuckles and rolls her eyes. "Anyway, don't forget you owe me a favour now! I came here and helped you out, so you owe me."

"What?!" My eyes widen, "You're the one who invited yourself!" 

"What? Rea–Oh well..." Taeyeon stutters, caught with realization. "But still! You owe me! Okay Oppa?" 

Looking down at her pout I sigh and give in, although I barely put in a fight. "Fine fine," I smile, "I'll only do anything that I'm capable of. What do you want?"

"Wow, put me on the spot much," She mutters and I chuckle. She looks up in thought before she glances at me with hard-set eyes. "Let me see Chohee." 

My eyebrows furrow at her strange request but I force a chuckle to keep the comfortable atmosphere. "What?" 

"Go with me and see Chohee." She says almost flatly. Her voice is not joking. 

"But err..." I mumble, trying to ease my way out of this. Man, and Taeyeon and I were just having a good time... 

Just as I'm about to ramble on excuses and talk about nonsense to get myself of out this, Taeyeon's car shows up. 

I watch her shoulders raised with anticipation sink. I breath a sigh of relief. 

"Answer me quick." Taeyeon suddenly spins to face me. Her gaze holds mine and refuses to let me escape. "Will you take me? Yes or no?" I hear a hint of pleading in her voice and despite how much I want to stay a straight out no, I feel like I owe her. 

"I... I'll think about it..." I stutter honestly under the pressure. 

Something passes quickly across Taeyeon's eyes before she relaxes and a sly smile fixes itself in her lips. 

"Of course." She whispers acceptably, mostly to herself before she waves, hollers a quick goodbye and slips into the open door of her Lamborghini.

••• 
A/N:
I AM SO SORRY. HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN?? LIKE 77 YEARS I AM SO SORRY,

tumblr_n0qqzbph1v1tqt3hmo1_500.gif
I had finals and exams and so much cramming and none of that was fun so I didn't get a chance to update :-(
I really just want to wrap up this fic, so I'm trying!! 
Will update asap
Much lovin, Jay 

tumblr_mz65vtCxMT1qfa9cho2_500.gif

- Jay